PDA

View Full Version : Best litter?

Avalanche
November 15th 04, 09:58 PM
Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
dusty litter.
Brad

Jo Firey
November 15th 04, 10:25 PM
"Avalanche" > wrote in message
> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
>
> Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> dusty litter.
> Brad

We use Tidy Cat clumping litter. It is lighter than sand (a little) and
smells better than sand. Not dusty like cheap clay litter. It is much
easier to use a dustbuster type vacuum to clean up the kick out than it
would be with sand too.

Doesn't smell at all if you scoop it daily and change it out once a week.
And we get away with scooping every other day, filling when it gets low, and
changing out every two weeks.

Of course everything depends on what your cat is willing to use and to put
up with.

Jo

Jo Firey
November 15th 04, 10:25 PM
"Avalanche" > wrote in message
> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
>
> Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> dusty litter.
> Brad

We use Tidy Cat clumping litter. It is lighter than sand (a little) and
smells better than sand. Not dusty like cheap clay litter. It is much
easier to use a dustbuster type vacuum to clean up the kick out than it
would be with sand too.

Doesn't smell at all if you scoop it daily and change it out once a week.
And we get away with scooping every other day, filling when it gets low, and
changing out every two weeks.

Of course everything depends on what your cat is willing to use and to put
up with.

Jo

Dan M
November 15th 04, 11:35 PM
Avalanche wrote:

> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
>
> Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> dusty litter.
> Brad

Litter is made of bentonite clay, and is absorbent. Sand would work, but
would have to be changed a lot more often.

Dan M
November 15th 04, 11:35 PM
Avalanche wrote:

> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
>
> Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> dusty litter.
> Brad

Litter is made of bentonite clay, and is absorbent. Sand would work, but
would have to be changed a lot more often.

Seanette Blaylock
November 15th 04, 11:51 PM
Avalanche > had some very interesting
things to say about Best litter?:

>Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
>that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
>Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
>dusty litter.

We've found that crystal litter does much better at odor control.

Seanette Blaylock
November 15th 04, 11:51 PM
Avalanche > had some very interesting
things to say about Best litter?:

>Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
>that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?
>Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
>dusty litter.

We've found that crystal litter does much better at odor control.

Victor Martinez
November 16th 04, 12:12 AM
Avalanche wrote:
> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Let's see, sand does not absorb liquids, so the urine will concentrate
at the bottom of your pan. Sand does not absorb or adsorb odors, so your
litterbox will stink quite horribly.
We use Everfresh with activated carbon, which helps adsorb odors.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam here:

Victor Martinez
November 16th 04, 12:12 AM
Avalanche wrote:
> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

Let's see, sand does not absorb liquids, so the urine will concentrate
at the bottom of your pan. Sand does not absorb or adsorb odors, so your
litterbox will stink quite horribly.
We use Everfresh with activated carbon, which helps adsorb odors.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam here:
Email me here:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 17th 04, 07:23 AM
Avalanche wrote:

> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

None that I know - why do you think they were originally
called "sandboxes" instead of "litter boxes"? And if your
cats go outside, they're perfectly happy to use your kids'
sandbox, if not prevented! (Or your neighbors freshly
planted garden.)

> Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> dusty litter.

The clay litter doesn't track as badly (in theory), retains
moisture better (no totally saturated sand, with puddles at
the bottom of the box), and (at least in theory) controls
odor better. The first cat I had, when I was a kid in
Minnesota, we used a box full of sawdust - more satisfactory
than sand, and I don't think they even SOLD things like "cat
litter" way back then.

I doubt the cat really cares, so long as there's something
to dig in and use to cover up afterwards. The one exception
is highly scented products designed to mask the odors - cats
often find the heavy perfume offensive, and won't use them.
I've been using clumping Fresh Step Cedar for some time -
the cat seems content with it, and it really seems to
prevent litterbox odor for some time, without changing it.
(I just add a bit, from time to time, to replace what has
been removed with the daily scooping.) I've often gone as
long as two months without a complete change of litter.

Avalanche wrote:

> Is there any reason, other than it perhaps gets kicked around easier,
> that sand (clean, of course) sand won't suffice?

None that I know - why do you think they were originally
called "sandboxes" instead of "litter boxes"? And if your
cats go outside, they're perfectly happy to use your kids'
sandbox, if not prevented! (Or your neighbors freshly
planted garden.)

> Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> dusty litter.

The clay litter doesn't track as badly (in theory), retains
moisture better (no totally saturated sand, with puddles at
the bottom of the box), and (at least in theory) controls
odor better. The first cat I had, when I was a kid in
Minnesota, we used a box full of sawdust - more satisfactory
than sand, and I don't think they even SOLD things like "cat
litter" way back then.

I doubt the cat really cares, so long as there's something
to dig in and use to cover up afterwards. The one exception
is highly scented products designed to mask the odors - cats
often find the heavy perfume offensive, and won't use them.
I've been using clumping Fresh Step Cedar for some time -
the cat seems content with it, and it really seems to
prevent litterbox odor for some time, without changing it.
(I just add a bit, from time to time, to replace what has
been removed with the daily scooping.) I've often gone as
long as two months without a complete change of litter.

Enfilade
November 17th 04, 07:44 PM

> > Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> > dusty litter.

We like silica crystals. It isn't dusty like clay litter and you
don't have to scoop pees, because they get absorbed. Only poos. We
change it every 2-3 weeks and scrub out the boxes. It also vaccuums
up well. Once we got more than 2 cats, this became the only way to
go.

I prefer the crystals since bitties play with the beads sometimes, but
DP likes the beads because they flow easily through the litter scoop,
whereas the crystals sometimes don't fit through.

--Fil

Enfilade
November 17th 04, 07:44 PM

> > Any particular benefits to more expensive litter? Tho I've had cheap
> > dusty litter.

We like silica crystals. It isn't dusty like clay litter and you
don't have to scoop pees, because they get absorbed. Only poos. We
change it every 2-3 weeks and scrub out the boxes. It also vaccuums
up well. Once we got more than 2 cats, this became the only way to
go.

I prefer the crystals since bitties play with the beads sometimes, but
DP likes the beads because they flow easily through the litter scoop,
whereas the crystals sometimes don't fit through.

--Fil

Seanette Blaylock
November 18th 04, 04:37 AM
(Enfilade) had some very interesting
things to say about Re: Best litter?:

>I prefer the crystals since bitties play with the beads sometimes, but
>DP likes the beads because they flow easily through the litter scoop,
>whereas the crystals sometimes don't fit through.

DH and I don't like the beads. Felix is a very enthusiastic digger,
and we got tired of finding the beads *everywhere* in the apartment.