PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my cat?

April 16th 09, 12:27 AM
I am interested to hear your opinion on my cat, Phantom. He is a 6
year old DSH, neutred male. Indoors cat mostly (if he is outside I am
watching him), and has not been outside since September. About a
month ago I noticed a change in his behaviour; he seemed to play less
and then he began pacing around the house a lot. Little things seemed
different about him. 2 weeks ago he started to seem clumsy; he was
having trouble with the stairs (just seemed unsure of his footing). I
took him to the vet and had bloodwork and an examination done. All
the results were good. The only thing off at all on his bloodwork was
very slightly high HGB (15.3, when 15.1 is the threshold), and
slightly low K (3.4, when 3.5 is the threshold). The doctor didn't
feel these were significant. He advised me to take him home and watch
him for changes.
He is still very uncertain on his feet - doesn't jump up on anything
except maybe a low couch. He is also lethargic; he never used to like
to be picked up and held, but now he doesn't protest at all.
When he is walking on a slippery surface (we have some hardwood
floors) one leg will slip out sideways at times. It is sometimes a
front leg, sometimes a rear one.
There are 2 other cats in our house, both spayed females. He used to
play with the older female but she has not been friendly with him for
several months; not sure if there is any significance to this.
I am wondering if it might be early stage CRF (I hope not). It has
been a week since I had him checked out, and he is about the same as
he was then. I am going to wait another week, and if there is still
no change I will take him back for more tests (I hate to put him
throught it; he gets very upset and has to be sedated).

Phil P.
April 16th 09, 04:19 AM
> wrote in message
> I am interested to hear your opinion on my cat, Phantom. He is a 6
> year old DSH, neutred male. Indoors cat mostly (if he is outside I am
> watching him), and has not been outside since September. About a
> month ago I noticed a change in his behaviour; he seemed to play less
> and then he began pacing around the house a lot. Little things seemed
> different about him. 2 weeks ago he started to seem clumsy; he was
> having trouble with the stairs (just seemed unsure of his footing). I
> took him to the vet and had bloodwork and an examination done. All
> the results were good. The only thing off at all on his bloodwork was
> very slightly high HGB (15.3, when 15.1 is the threshold), and
> slightly low K (3.4, when 3.5 is the threshold).

Serum potassium levels are a poor indicator of total body stores of K+ since
>95% of the total body stores of K+ are contained in the cells
(intracellular fluid- ). If the K+ level is low in the blood
(extracellular fluid [ECF]- its *definitely* low in the cells. Your cat is
borderline hypokalemic. When serum K+ is low the body will draw K from the
cells to maintain adequate serum K+ levels. This is why potassium depletion
in the cells can occur long before the onset of hypokalemia. Serum K+ levels
should be kept in the upper half of the normal range because the ECF K+ pool
is so much smaller, tiny shifts between ICF and ECF can affect serum K+
levels tremendously.

You might want to speak to your vet about a K+ supplement. Generalized
skeletal muscle weakness is a sure fire sign of K+ depletion and/or
hypokalemia

Phil

The doctor didn't[i]
> feel these were significant. He advised me to take him home and watch
> him for changes.
> He is still very uncertain on his feet - doesn't jump up on anything
> except maybe a low couch. He is also lethargic; he never used to like
> to be picked up and held, but now he doesn't protest at all.
> When he is walking on a slippery surface (we have some hardwood
> floors) one leg will slip out sideways at times. It is sometimes a
> front leg, sometimes a rear one.
> There are 2 other cats in our house, both spayed females. He used to
> play with the older female but she has not been friendly with him for
> several months; not sure if there is any significance to this.
> I am wondering if it might be early stage CRF (I hope not). It has
> been a week since I had him checked out, and he is about the same as
> he was then. I am going to wait another week, and if there is still
> no change I will take him back for more tests (I hate to put him
> throught it; he gets very upset and has to be sedated).

April 16th 09, 12:20 PM
On Apr 15, 11:19*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> (intracellular fluid- [ICF]). *If the K+ level is low in the blood
> (extracellular fluid [ECF]- its *definitely* low in the cells. Your cat is
> borderline hypokalemic. When serum K+ is low the body will draw K from the
> cells to maintain adequate serum K+ levels. *This is why potassium depletion
> in the cells can occur long before the onset of hypokalemia. Serum K+ levels
> should be kept in the upper half of the normal range because the ECF K+ pool
> is so much smaller, tiny shifts between ICF and ECF can affect serum K+
> levels tremendously.
>
> You might want to speak to your vet about a K+ supplement. *Generalized
> skeletal muscle weakness is a sure fire sign of K+ depletion and/or
> hypokalemia
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil, I will do that.

April 19th 09, 11:45 AM
My husband took him back to see the vet again yesterday. Doc found a
swollen gland behind his left ear. Will be doing viral tests and
xrays this week.

April 24th 09, 01:32 AM
On Tuesday we had more regular bloodwork done. K was slightly higher,
at 3.6, HGB back in normal range at 14.1 Urea was low, at 5.5 (was
6.1 on the previous test). I also noticed that the MCHC was high
normal in both tests: 37.4 this time, 36.9 last time. Don't know if
that means anything.

A urine sample was cloudy, with some floating matter in it. Vet says
it had some bacteria and white blood cells, so we have put Phantom on
an antibiotic while we continue to do tests. Full body xray was done;
everything looked normal. He has lost a total of two pounds off his
normal weight.

T4 test came back today, normal. Still waiting for viral tests,
probably tomorrow.

He is still eating and drinking. Doesn't have a huge appetite,
though; he eats about half of what he normally would.

cindys
April 24th 09, 10:17 PM
On Apr 23, 8:32*pm, wrote:
> On Tuesday we had more regular bloodwork done. *K was slightly higher,
> at 3.6, HGB back in normal range at 14.1 *Urea was low, at 5.5 (was
> 6.1 on the previous test). *I also noticed that the MCHC was high
> normal in both tests: *37.4 this time, 36.9 last time. *Don't know if
> that means anything.
>
> A urine sample was cloudy, with some floating matter in it. *Vet says
> it had some bacteria and white blood cells, so we have put Phantom on
> an antibiotic while we continue to do tests. *Full body xray was done;
> everything looked normal. *He has lost a total of two pounds off his
> normal weight.
>
> T4 test came back today, normal. *Still waiting for viral tests,
> probably tomorrow.
>
> He is still eating and drinking. *Doesn't have a huge appetite,
> though; he eats about half of what he normally would.
-----------
Please continue to keep us updated.
Purrs for a full recovery for Phantom!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

April 24th 09, 10:28 PM
Got the viral tests. He was positive for a "low level coronavirus" -
not sure I am quoting the vet correctly. It is one that seldom turns
into FIP, though that is a possiblity. However, since Phantom's lungs
are clear, it doesn't seem likely.

cybercat
April 24th 09, 11:04 PM
> wrote in message
> Got the viral tests. He was positive for a "low level coronavirus" -
> not sure I am quoting the vet correctly. It is one that seldom turns
> into FIP, though that is a possiblity. However, since Phantom's lungs
> are clear, it doesn't seem likely.

Sugarpops pete, I think this is good news, right? How is the vet treating
this condition?

April 25th 09, 02:21 PM
On Apr 24, 6:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Got the viral tests. *He was positive for a "low level coronavirus" -
> > not sure I am quoting the vet correctly. *It is one that seldom turns
> > into FIP, though that is a possiblity. *However, since Phantom's lungs
> > are clear, it doesn't seem likely.
>
> Sugarpops pete, I think this is good news, right? How is the vet treating
> this condition?

It is definitely good news to me. I lost a kitten to FIP a few years
ago, and it was awful. At the moment we are continuing with
antibiotics, because the white blood cells in the urine are the only
thing we have to go on. I will also be putting Phantom on a potassium
supplement but it won't be in until next week (the vet's office was
out of supply and didn't order it until yesterday).

April 25th 09, 03:52 PM
On Apr 24, 5:17*pm, cindys > wrote:
> On Apr 23, 8:32*pm, wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday we had more regular bloodwork done. *K was slightly higher,
> > at 3.6, HGB back in normal range at 14.1 *Urea was low, at 5.5 (was
> > 6.1 on the previous test). *I also noticed that the MCHC was high
> > normal in both tests: *37.4 this time, 36.9 last time. *Don't know if
> > that means anything.
>
> > A urine sample was cloudy, with some floating matter in it. *Vet says
> > it had some bacteria and white blood cells, so we have put Phantom on
> > an antibiotic while we continue to do tests. *Full body xray was done;
> > everything looked normal. *He has lost a total of two pounds off his
> > normal weight.
>
> > T4 test came back today, normal. *Still waiting for viral tests,
> > probably tomorrow.
>
> > He is still eating and drinking. *Doesn't have a huge appetite,
> > though; he eats about half of what he normally would.

> Please continue to keep us updated.
> Purrs for a full recovery for Phantom!
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your encouragement. All purrs gratefully accepted!