PDA

View Full Version : How about some brainstorming?

Yoj
November 16th 04, 05:55 PM
This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.

At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
I don't want him to be.

As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.

My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
have to get him inside.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
to figure out what seems most likely to work.

--
Joy
Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Sherry
November 16th 04, 06:07 PM
>My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
>doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
>segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
>awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
>Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
>like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
>have to get him inside.
>
>I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
>follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
>to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
>--
>Joy

Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once you get
him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there often and
spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not being
overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to congregate at
the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it gives them a
chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of luck with
NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.

Sherry

Sherry
November 16th 04, 06:07 PM
>My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
>doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
>segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
>awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
>Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
>like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
>have to get him inside.
>
>I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
>follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
>to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
>--
>Joy

Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once you get
him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there often and
spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not being
overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to congregate at
the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it gives them a
chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of luck with
NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.

Sherry

Bridget
November 16th 04, 06:17 PM
How bout this.

You keep the pet door open only during certain hours - either when you
are at work, or when you are at home. The rest of the time it stays
locked. And when it is open, Nanki-poo is confined to a bedroom so he
can't get out.

Or

You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
have to be confined.

Good luck,
Bridget

Yoj wrote:

> This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
> I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
>
> At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
> disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
> to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
> some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
> However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
> door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
> and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
> I don't want him to be.
>
> As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
> again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
>
> My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> have to get him inside.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
> --
> Joy
> Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Jo Firey
November 16th 04, 08:06 PM
For a while, I'd get Nabki in and confined to a room that doesn't have
access to the cat door. Then when Lindy is out blosk off the door and let
Nanki have the run of the house.

Actually what we did with Molly is keep her in a bedroom with food and
litter and a nice bed for several days. Till Jake got over trying to attack
her. He gets to go out. She shouldn't for quite a while yet.

Not working all that great. At least we are grateful she likes to climb
trees rather than sprint cross country.

Jo
"Yoj" > wrote in message
om...
> This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
> I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
>
> At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
> disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
> to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
> some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
> However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
> door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
> and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
> I don't want him to be.
>
> As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
> again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
>
> My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> have to get him inside.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
> --
> Joy
> Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Jo Firey
November 16th 04, 08:06 PM
For a while, I'd get Nabki in and confined to a room that doesn't have
access to the cat door. Then when Lindy is out blosk off the door and let
Nanki have the run of the house.

Actually what we did with Molly is keep her in a bedroom with food and
litter and a nice bed for several days. Till Jake got over trying to attack
her. He gets to go out. She shouldn't for quite a while yet.

Not working all that great. At least we are grateful she likes to climb
trees rather than sprint cross country.

Jo
"Yoj" > wrote in message
om...
> This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
> I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
>
> At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
> disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
> to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
> some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
> However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
> door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
> and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
> I don't want him to be.
>
> As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
> again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
>
> My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> have to get him inside.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
> --
> Joy
> Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Pat
November 16th 04, 08:17 PM
"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.

> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
> have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Pat
November 16th 04, 08:17 PM
"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.

> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
> have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Yowie
November 16th 04, 08:54 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> >doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> >segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> >awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> >Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> >like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> >have to get him inside.
> >
> >I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> >follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> >to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> >--
> >Joy
>
> Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once you
get
> him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there
often and
> spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not
being
> overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to congregate
at
> the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it gives
them a
> chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of luck
with
> NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.

That, and "Feliway is your friend".

I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because then
they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel Lindy
has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.

I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already knows
how to tell you she wants out & back in.

Good luck!

Yowie

---

Yowie
November 16th 04, 08:54 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> >doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> >segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> >awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> >Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> >like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> >have to get him inside.
> >
> >I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> >follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> >to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> >--
> >Joy
>
> Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once you
get
> him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there
often and
> spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not
being
> overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to congregate
at
> the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it gives
them a
> chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of luck
with
> NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.

That, and "Feliway is your friend".

I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because then
they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel Lindy
has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.

I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already knows
how to tell you she wants out & back in.

Good luck!

Yowie

---

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:50 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> >doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> >segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> >awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> >Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> >like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> >have to get him inside.
> >
> >I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> >follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for
me
> >to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> >--
> >Joy
>
> Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once
you get
> him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there
often and
> spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not
being
> overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to
congregate at
> the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it
gives them a
> chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of
luck with
> NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.
>
> Sherry

Thank you, Sherry. I hope so too.

Joy

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:50 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> >doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> >segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> >awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> >Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> >like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> >have to get him inside.
> >
> >I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> >follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for
me
> >to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> >--
> >Joy
>
> Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once
you get
> him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in there
often and
> spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure, not
being
> overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to
congregate at
> the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it
gives them a
> chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of
luck with
> NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.
>
> Sherry

Thank you, Sherry. I hope so too.

Joy

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:52 PM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
> "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > >My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only
interior
> > >doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> > >segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That
seems
> > >awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> > >Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo
feel
> > >like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first
I'd
> > >have to get him inside.
> > >
> > >I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee
> > >follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be
for me
> > >to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Joy
> >
> > Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once
you
> get
> > him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in
there
> often and
> > spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure,
not
> being
> > overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to
congregate
> at
> > the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it
gives
> them a
> > chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of
luck
> with
> > NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.
>
> That, and "Feliway is your friend".
>
> I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because
then
> they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel
Lindy
> has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.
>
> I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already
knows
> how to tell you she wants out & back in.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Yowie

Thanks for the suggestions, Yowie. Of course, first I have to catch
Nanki-Poo. I've seen him exactly twice in the past 40 hours.

Yes, Lindy knows how to tell me she wants out and back in.
Unfortunately, she also knows how to unlock the cat door. When she does
so, it usually ends up so that cats can go out through it, but not come
in.

Joy

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:52 PM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
> "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > >My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only
interior
> > >doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> > >segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That
seems
> > >awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> > >Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo
feel
> > >like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first
I'd
> > >have to get him inside.
> > >
> > >I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee
> > >follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be
for me
> > >to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> > >
> > >--
> > >Joy
> >
> > Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once
you
> get
> > him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in
there
> often and
> > spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure,
not
> being
> > overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to
congregate
> at
> > the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it
gives
> them a
> > chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of
luck
> with
> > NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.
>
> That, and "Feliway is your friend".
>
> I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because
then
> they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel
Lindy
> has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.
>
> I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already
knows
> how to tell you she wants out & back in.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Yowie

Thanks for the suggestions, Yowie. Of course, first I have to catch
Nanki-Poo. I've seen him exactly twice in the past 40 hours.

Yes, Lindy knows how to tell me she wants out and back in.
Unfortunately, she also knows how to unlock the cat door. When she does
so, it usually ends up so that cats can go out through it, but not come
in.

Joy

Christina Websell
November 16th 04, 10:52 PM
"Yoj" > wrote in message
om...
> This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
> I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
>
> At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
> disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
> to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
> some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
> However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
> door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
> and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
> I don't want him to be.
>
> As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
> again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
>
> My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> have to get him inside.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
> --
> Joy
> Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Until Nanki knows he can come inside through the cat flap without being
attacked, he won't and therefore you will be in danger of losing him.
You won't like what I'm going to suggest, but please trust me on this.
Confine Lindy to your bedroom with a tray and feed her in there. Do not let
her out for at least a week while Nanki learns to come in and out of the
house through the cat flap and feels safe.
When he does, open the bedroom door and let them meet again. Make sure
Nanki cannot flee through the cat door.
If, when they meet they hate each other again, put Lindy back in the
bedroom. She will definitely not resent him because of this. Let him feel
at home, coming in and out and introduce Lindy back gradually.

Just my 2p worth. I think it'll work. Really.

Tweed

Christina Websell
November 16th 04, 10:52 PM
"Yoj" > wrote in message
om...
> This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite varied.
> I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
>
> At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding. After
> disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house, only
> to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I took
> some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he ate.
> However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the cat
> door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a blanket
> and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat, and
> I don't want him to be.
>
> As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come inside
> again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
>
> My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only interior
> doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That seems
> awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first I'd
> have to get him inside.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.
>
> --
> Joy
> Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Until Nanki knows he can come inside through the cat flap without being
attacked, he won't and therefore you will be in danger of losing him.
You won't like what I'm going to suggest, but please trust me on this.
Confine Lindy to your bedroom with a tray and feed her in there. Do not let
her out for at least a week while Nanki learns to come in and out of the
house through the cat flap and feels safe.
When he does, open the bedroom door and let them meet again. Make sure
Nanki cannot flee through the cat door.
If, when they meet they hate each other again, put Lindy back in the
bedroom. She will definitely not resent him because of this. Let him feel
at home, coming in and out and introduce Lindy back gradually.

Just my 2p worth. I think it'll work. Really.

Tweed

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Bridget. I'm retired, so I'm home about 75% of the time. Lindy
knows how to unlock the pet door, and she usually gets it so cats can
exit but not enter.

Joy

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> [...]
seems
> > awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> > Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> > like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first
I'd
> > have to get him inside.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee
> > follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for
me
> > to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> > --
> > Joy
> > Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Bridget. I'm retired, so I'm home about 75% of the time. Lindy
knows how to unlock the pet door, and she usually gets it so cats can

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.
>
> You keep the pet door open only during certain hours - either when you
> are at work, or when you are at home. The rest of the time it stays
> locked. And when it is open, Nanki-poo is confined to a bedroom so he
> can't get out.
>
> Or
>
> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that
the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They
are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat
would
> have to be confined.
>
> Good luck,
> Bridget
>
> Yoj wrote:
>
> > This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite
varied.
> > I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
> >
> > At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding.
After
> > disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house,
only
> > to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I
took
> > some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he
ate.
> > However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the
cat
> > door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a
blanket
> > and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> > he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat,
and
> > I don't want him to be.
> >
> > As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come
inside
> > again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
> >
> > My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only
interior
> > doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> > segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That
seems
> > awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> > Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> > like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first
I'd
> > have to get him inside.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee
> > follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for
me
> > to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> > --
> > Joy
> > Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:57 PM
I sure hope I can get her in soon.

I know what you mean - they definitely have minds of their own, and
don't always operate according to your schedule. I hadn't planned to
show Nanki-Poo how to get out for several more days, but he either
already knew, picked it up from Lindy, or figured it out for himself.

--
Joy

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way
things turn out.
-- John Wooden

"Jo Firey" > wrote in message
> For a while, I'd get Nabki in and confined to a room that doesn't have
> access to the cat door. Then when Lindy is out blosk off the door and
let
> Nanki have the run of the house.
>
> Actually what we did with Molly is keep her in a bedroom with food and
> litter and a nice bed for several days. Till Jake got over trying to
attack
> her. He gets to go out. She shouldn't for quite a while yet.
>
> Not working all that great. At least we are grateful she likes to
climb
> trees rather than sprint cross country.
>
> Jo
> "Yoj" > wrote in message
> om...
> > This group is wonderful for coming up with advice - often quite
varied.
> > I could use some brainstorming now to solve two related problems.
> >
> > At the moment, Nanki-Poo is somewhere outside, presumably hiding.
After
> > disappearing for close to 24 hours, he tried to get in the house,
only
> > to be yowled away by Lindy. When I went out, he ran from me. I
took
> > some food out and got him close enough to bring him in, where he
ate.
> > However, he went out again and again Lindy wouldn't let him in the
cat
> > door. That time he ran so I couldn't even see him. I left a
blanket
> > and some food in the garage for him, and he ate the food. I'm sure
> > he'll stick around, but he shouldn't have to be an outdoor only cat,
and
> > I don't want him to be.
> >
> > As I see it, one problem is how to get him to trust me and come
inside
> > again, and the other is to get Lindy to tolerate his presence.
> >
> > My house is so constructed that I can't divide it - the only
interior
> > doors are on bedrooms and bathrooms. That means that in order to
> > segregate them, I'd have to shut one of them in one room. That
seems
> > awfully harsh on Lindy, who doesn't need another reason to resent
> > Nanki-Poo. It also seems counterproductive to making Nanki-Poo feel
> > like this is his home. Of course, in order to shut him up, first
I'd
> > have to get him inside.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee
> > follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for
me
> > to figure out what seems most likely to work.
> >
> > --
> > Joy
> > Owned and operated by Lindy and Nanki-Poo

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:58 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in
message ...

> [...]
being
> attacked, he won't and therefore you will be in danger of losing him.
> You won't like what I'm going to suggest, but please trust me on this.
> Confine Lindy to your bedroom with a tray and feed her in there. Do
not let
> her out for at least a week while Nanki learns to come in and out of
the
> house through the cat flap and feels safe.
> When he does, open the bedroom door and let them meet again. Make
sure
> Nanki cannot flee through the cat door.
> If, when they meet they hate each other again, put Lindy back in the
> bedroom. She will definitely not resent him because of this. Let him
feel
> at home, coming in and out and introduce Lindy back gradually.
>
> Just my 2p worth. I think it'll work. Really.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tweed. I'll certainly give it some thought,
but I can't see why she wouldn't resent him, since she was never
confined until he came into the picture.

Joy

Yoj
November 16th 04, 10:58 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in
message ...

> [...]
not let
> her out for at least a week while Nanki learns to come in and out of
the
> house through the cat flap and feels safe.
> When he does, open the bedroom door and let them meet again. Make
sure
> Nanki cannot flee through the cat door.
> If, when they meet they hate each other again, put Lindy back in the
> bedroom. She will definitely not resent him because of this. Let him
feel
> at home, coming in and out and introduce Lindy back gradually.
>
> Just my 2p worth. I think it'll work. Really.
>
> Tweed

Thanks for the suggestion, Tweed. I'll certainly give it some thought,
but I can't see why she wouldn't resent him, since she was never
confined until he came into the picture.

November 16th 04, 11:46 PM
"Yoj" > wrote in message
om...
> interior
> seems
> feel
> I'd

> for me

> > > Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once
> you
> > get
> > > him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in
> there
> > often and
> > > spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure,
> not
> > being
> > > overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to
> congregate
> > at
> > > the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it
> gives
> > them a
> > > chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of
> luck
> > with
> > > NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.
> >
> > That, and "Feliway is your friend".
> >
> > I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because
> then
> > they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel
> Lindy
> > has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.
> >
> > I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already
> knows
> > how to tell you she wants out & back in.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Yowie
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, Yowie. Of course, first I have to catch
> Nanki-Poo. I've seen him exactly twice in the past 40 hours.

Would one of those rescue trap thingies help?

> Yes, Lindy knows how to tell me she wants out and back in.
> Unfortunately, she also knows how to unlock the cat door. When she does
> so, it usually ends up so that cats can go out through it, but not come
> in.

Gaffer tape it shut :-).

Yowie
Gaffer tape is like The Force. There is a light side, a dark side, and it
holds the universe together.

Yowie
November 16th 04, 11:46 PM
"Yoj" > wrote in message
om...
> interior
> seems
> feel
> I'd

> for me

> > > Joy, don't feel too badly about shutting Nanki Poo in a bedroom once
> you
> > get
> > > him in. I've always done that with newbies. I just try to go in
> there
> > often and
> > > spend some time with them. I think it makes them feel more secure,
> not
> > being
> > > overwhelmed by a big huge strange house. The other cats tend to
> congregate
> > at
> > > the door, and even start pawing at each other under it. I think it
> gives
> > them a
> > > chance to get aquainted without in-your-face confrontation. Best of
> luck
> > with
> > > NankiPoo. Hope you can lure him in soon.
> >
> > That, and "Feliway is your friend".
> >
> > I've also heard dabbing both cats with vanilla essence helps because
> then
> > they both smell the same - same principle of taking a blanket/towel
> Lindy
> > has been lying on and rubbing it on Nanki-Poo.
> >
> > I'd also lock the cat door for the time being. I'm sure Lindy already
> knows
> > how to tell you she wants out & back in.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Yowie
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, Yowie. Of course, first I have to catch
> Nanki-Poo. I've seen him exactly twice in the past 40 hours.

Would one of those rescue trap thingies help?

> Yes, Lindy knows how to tell me she wants out and back in.
> Unfortunately, she also knows how to unlock the cat door. When she does
> so, it usually ends up so that cats can go out through it, but not come
> in.

Gaffer tape it shut :-).

Yowie
Gaffer tape is like The Force. There is a light side, a dark side, and it
holds the universe together.

Pat
November 17th 04, 12:14 AM
I posted this earlier, it never appeared in the list.

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.

> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
> have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Pat
November 17th 04, 12:14 AM
I posted this earlier, it never appeared in the list.

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.

> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
> have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Marina
November 17th 04, 04:11 AM
Yoj wrote:
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.

I wish I had some suggestion, but I can't think of anything that hasn't
already been mentioned. We are purring hard for Nanki-Poo to come back
home, but how to deal with the resident queen-of-all-she-surveys? I hope
you can find a solution.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Marina
November 17th 04, 04:11 AM
Yoj wrote:
> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions, although I won't guarantee to
> follow them. ;-) The more ideas I get, the easier it should be for me
> to figure out what seems most likely to work.

I wish I had some suggestion, but I can't think of anything that hasn't
already been mentioned. We are purring hard for Nanki-Poo to come back
home, but how to deal with the resident queen-of-all-she-surveys? I hope
you can find a solution.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Pat
November 17th 04, 02:32 PM
I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
here goes try #3:

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.

> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
> have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Pat
November 17th 04, 02:32 PM
I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
here goes try #3:

"Bridget" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> How bout this.

> You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that the
> cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They are
> a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat would
> have to be confined.

I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a magnet-wearing
cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Marina
November 17th 04, 04:19 PM
Pat wrote:

> I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
> here goes try #3:

Pat, I see all three of your posts. :o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Marina
November 17th 04, 04:19 PM
Pat wrote:

> I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
> here goes try #3:

Pat, I see all three of your posts. :o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Pat
November 17th 04, 05:21 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message
> Pat wrote:
>
> > I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
> > here goes try #3:
>
> Pat, I see all three of your posts. :o)

Weird. This has never happened before. I still only see one of them.

Sometimes I see new-old posts show up in other threads but I've always seen
mine the next time I check the NG. Until now, that is!

Pat
November 17th 04, 05:21 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message
> Pat wrote:
>
> > I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
> > here goes try #3:
>
> Pat, I see all three of your posts. :o)

Weird. This has never happened before. I still only see one of them.

Sometimes I see new-old posts show up in other threads but I've always seen
mine the next time I check the NG. Until now, that is!

Yoj
November 17th 04, 06:10 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up.
So
> here goes try #3:
>
> "Bridget" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s53...
> > How bout this.
>
> > You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that
the
> > cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They
are
> > a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat
would
> > have to be confined.
>
> I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
> non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a
magnet-wearing
> cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Thanks, Pat.

Joy

Yoj
November 17th 04, 06:10 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up.
So
> here goes try #3:
>
> "Bridget" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s53...
> > How bout this.
>
> > You get a new pet door that will only open with a magnetic key that
the
> > cat wears on its collar. Lindy has one and Nanki-Poo doesn't. They
are
> > a bit expensive, but would offer a safety net whereby neither cat
would
> > have to be confined.
>
> I have the electronic pet door. The magnets only prevent a
> non-magnet-wearing cat from getting in. And it won't let a
magnet-wearing
> cat out unless it is set to let everyone out.

Thanks, Pat.

Joy

Christina Websell
November 17th 04, 11:00 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message
> Pat wrote:
>
>> I have sent a reply inthis thread twice now and neither one shows up. So
>> here goes try #3:
>
> Pat, I see all three of your posts. :o)
>
> --
> Marina, Frank and Nikki
> marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
> Pics at http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
> and http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki

So do I.
Tweed