PDA

View Full Version : Burmese cat wants to eat gravel

Netmask
May 1st 09, 03:00 AM
My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

cybercat
May 1st 09, 06:04 AM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
> he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Keep him in the house, and take him to a vet. And do a "Google" search on
"pica in cats."

Netmask
May 1st 09, 09:17 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Netmask" > wrote in message
>> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
>> he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
>
> Keep him in the house, and take him to a vet. And do a "Google" search on
> "pica in cats."

He has been to the vet on and off for the past 4 weeks. Had an X-ray of
head and neck and is having a CT scan on Monday. Currently on an anti
biotic and a steroid. He has a nasal discharge that sets like concrete
around his nostrils. I wipe them clean and put him in the bathroom for
around an hour per day with high humidity. He is eating very well
Science diet AD. Still haven't got a definite analysis. Today was the
first sunny day in Sydney for about a week so I popped him out in the
sun, shady area around the swimming pool which has a blue metal walk
around surround - his favourite place and that's when i noticed the odd
behaviour.

He has been quite healthy during his life notwithstanding his FIV+
status. No other cats and the backyard has 2.5 metre brick walls so no
visitors!

cybercat
May 1st 09, 01:01 PM
"Netmask" > wrote

> He has been to the vet on and off for the past 4 weeks. Had an X-ray of
> head and neck and is having a CT scan on Monday. Currently on an anti
> biotic and a steroid. He has a nasal discharge that sets like concrete
> around his nostrils. I wipe them clean and put him in the bathroom for
> around an hour per day with high humidity. He is eating very well Science
> diet AD.

If this is dry food, please consider at least supplementing his diet with
canned. There are many reasons for this, the best being more protein and
more moisture. I love SD, don't get me wrong--I had a cat live to be very
old on it. But since I switched my most recent cats to all-canned diet the
positive change was amazing and wonderful to see. Shinier coats, brighter
eyes, less crusty eye stuff, more energy, and much more enthusiasm at meal
time.

Still haven't got a definite analysis. Today was the
> first sunny day in Sydney for about a week so I popped him out in the sun,
> shady area around the swimming pool which has a blue metal walk around
> surround - his favourite place and that's when i noticed the odd
> behaviour.
>
> He has been quite healthy during his life notwithstanding his FIV+ status.
> No other cats and the backyard has 2.5 metre brick walls so no visitors!

He sounds like a lucky boy! I can tell you really care for him and take good
care of him. We have a great resource here--Phil--who will hopefully weigh
in with some helpful information. Generally pica is caused by some sort of
dietary deficiency, I think? Wish I could help more. I hope he improves.

Gloria
May 1st 09, 08:53 PM
I'd ask the vet and /or write (or call) to this address (e-mail).......a
vet from there will e-mail you back. Hope your cat will be ok. Keep us
posted how it's doing.

Address:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/General.cfm?gid=314

Netmask
May 8th 09, 10:16 AM
Netmask wrote:
> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
> Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Tonight (Sydney Friday 6pm) Max suffered a cardiac arrest and passed
away. I was with him at the surgery. Max was born on May 5 1995. He was
a very sociable cat who looked forward to visitors and the occasional
dog. The last pathology report indicated probably cancer, invading the
brain and possibly a fungal infection. All the tests were ambiguous. I
will bury him next to his great uncle who reached 23 years. He has been
my constant companion for so many years. At 70 myself I thought he would
outlive me. Life goes on.....

cybercat
May 8th 09, 04:28 PM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Netmask wrote:
>> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
>> he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
>
> Tonight (Sydney Friday 6pm) Max suffered a cardiac arrest and passed away.
> I was with him at the surgery. Max was born on May 5 1995. He was a very
> sociable cat who looked forward to visitors and the occasional dog. The
> last pathology report indicated probably cancer, invading the brain and
> possibly a fungal infection. All the tests were ambiguous. I will bury him
> next to his great uncle who reached 23 years. He has been my constant
> companion for so many years. At 70 myself I thought he would outlive me.
> Life goes on.....

Oh I am so very sorry. I just lost a cat who lived to 14 as well--it is not
long enough when we love them so much. You gave him the very best of care,
and more love than any cat might expect. I am glad his passing was swift and
relatively painless, and that you were not left with the decision of whether
or not to put him out of his misery or allow him to linger. I guess the
brain cancer may have given him the urge to eat the gravel. I lost a nephew
to this terrible disease.

Matthew[_3_]
May 8th 09, 05:08 PM
I am very sorry
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Netmask wrote:
>> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
>> he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
>
> Tonight (Sydney Friday 6pm) Max suffered a cardiac arrest and passed away.
> I was with him at the surgery. Max was born on May 5 1995. He was a very
> sociable cat who looked forward to visitors and the occasional dog. The
> last pathology report indicated probably cancer, invading the brain and
> possibly a fungal infection. All the tests were ambiguous. I will bury him
> next to his great uncle who reached 23 years. He has been my constant
> companion for so many years. At 70 myself I thought he would outlive me.
> Life goes on.....

Netmask
May 9th 09, 12:10 AM
Netmask wrote:
> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
> Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Many thanks for the kind words - I have buried him in the front garden
opposite Monki his great uncle. The property has been in the family for
3 generations so I suspect Max will sleep in peace for sometime. It is
so hard to say goodbye with all the reminders around the house and after
just one night everything is so quiet and empty even though I'm on a
busy road.

cybercat
May 9th 09, 12:53 AM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Netmask wrote:
>> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
>> he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
>
> Many thanks for the kind words - I have buried him in the front garden
> opposite Monki his great uncle. The property has been in the family for 3
> generations so I suspect Max will sleep in peace for sometime. It is so
> hard to say goodbye with all the reminders around the house and after just
> one night everything is so quiet and empty even though I'm on a busy road.

Wish you had someone to pick up all the toys and such for you. I'm so sorry
you are hurting. Love leaves a big hole. Hope you can open your heart to
another kitty who needs you, maybe a rescue? An older adult? Nobody wants
them and so many are so sweet.

MLB
May 9th 09, 01:32 AM
Netmask wrote:
> Netmask wrote:
>> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
>> Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
>
> Tonight (Sydney Friday 6pm) Max suffered a cardiac arrest and passed
> away. I was with him at the surgery. Max was born on May 5 1995. He was
> a very sociable cat who looked forward to visitors and the occasional
> dog. The last pathology report indicated probably cancer, invading the
> brain and possibly a fungal infection. All the tests were ambiguous. I
> will bury him next to his great uncle who reached 23 years. He has been
> my constant companion for so many years. At 70 myself I thought he would
> outlive me. Life goes on.....

"....Rise up slowly, Angel..." It's hard to let you go.

70 is still the prime of life. Purrs for you continued wellbeing. MLB

Netmask
May 31st 09, 03:35 AM
Netmask wrote:
> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean?
> Is he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..

Many thanks to all - i have visited the breeder who sold me my burmese
cat 14 years ago and lo and behold his mother Kaama (17 years) is still
alive and in very good health. So I am getting another little Burmese
boy when one of Kaama's grandchildren have a litter shortly. Kaama is
long retired and I am tempted to see if I could acquire her as well but
at 17 i see in a short time more tears and sorrows so maybe i won't say
anything.... and not sure how a 17 ex mum would get on with a kitten.
All the cats are in separate cages and a bit grubby for my taste which
upsets me compared to the comparative luxury of my place - but I
suppose that's the way they have to be in a breeding establishment.

cyberpurrs
May 31st 09, 04:26 AM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Netmask wrote:
>> My 14 year old Burmese is wanting to eat gravel - what does this mean? Is
>> he lacking minerals or has an upset tummy? very strange..
>
> Many thanks to all - i have visited the breeder who sold me my burmese cat
> 14 years ago and lo and behold his mother Kaama (17 years) is still alive
> and in very good health. So I am getting another little Burmese boy when
> one of Kaama's grandchildren have a litter shortly. Kaama is long retired
> and I am tempted to see if I could acquire her as well but at 17 i see in
> a short time more tears and sorrows so maybe i won't say anything.... and
> not sure how a 17 ex mum would get on with a kitten. All the cats are in
> separate cages and a bit grubby for my taste which upsets me compared to
> the comparative luxury of my place - but I suppose that's the way they
> have to be in a breeding establishment.

When you buy breeder cats you deserve what you get. Millions of perfectly
lovely cats, often from a healthier gene pool need homes NOW. Shame on you
for supporting breeding. Ugh. What goes around comes around.

cyberpurrs
May 31st 09, 04:28 AM
"Netmask" > wrote
> All the cats are in separate cages and a bit grubby for my taste which
> upsets me compared to the comparative luxury of my place - but I suppose
> that's the way they have to be in a breeding establishment.

Ask yourself how you can support this? NO, they do not have to be this way
in a breeding establishment. You are subsidizing abuse.

Go see some kittens at your local shelter. I dare you.

Netmask
May 31st 09, 08:47 AM
cyberpurrs wrote:

> "Netmask" > wrote
>> All the cats are in separate cages and a bit grubby for my taste which
>> upsets me compared to the comparative luxury of my place - but I
>> suppose that's the way they have to be in a breeding establishment.
>
> Ask yourself how you can support this? NO, they do not have to be this
> way in a breeding establishment. You are subsidizing abuse.
>
> Go see some kittens at your local shelter. I dare you.

Burmese are the only breed that I'm not allergic to apart from those
ugly fur less type