PDA

View Full Version : When your cat dies will you....

Gloria
May 8th 09, 03:52 PM
have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
building something!

cybercat
May 8th 09, 04:25 PM
"Gloria" > wrote in message
> have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
> both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
> cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
> owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
> always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
> building something!

I let them take my cat at the vet. She was not in there any more. I have all
the shrines I need in my heart.

James
May 8th 09, 08:24 PM
On May 8, 10:52*am, (Gloria) wrote:
> have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
> both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
> cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
> owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
> always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
> building something!

You could put your pet in the deep freeze and have it buried with you
when the time comes.

MLB
May 8th 09, 10:39 PM
James wrote:
> On May 8, 10:52 am, (Gloria) wrote:
>> have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
>> both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
>> cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
>> owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
>> always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
>> building something!
>
> You could put your pet in the deep freeze and have it buried with you
> when the time comes.

That is against the law in some places. MLB

T[_4_]
May 9th 09, 09:56 AM
In article >,
says...

> have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
> both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
> cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
> owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
> always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
> building something!

I opt for cremation. Much less traumatic for some reason.

MaryL
May 9th 09, 03:34 PM
"Gloria" > wrote in message
> have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
> both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
> cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
> owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
> always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
> building something!

In the past, I buried my furbabies and planted a tree at the head as a
living memorial. I have moved since then, but it doesn't bother me to leave
a burial spot behind. As Cyber said, they are not longer in there.

Cremation for pets was not readily available in this area when my previous
cats died. In the future, I will probably opt for cremation, scatter the
ashes in my garden, and again plant something as a living memorial.

MaryL

Gloria
May 10th 09, 01:32 AM
What I don't like about just letting the vet take care of my deceased
pet......then it's all mixed with other pets, cremated, and the ashes
end up in a "dump". I'd rather have the ashes buried. (& "with me" if
possible). When you have your pet cremated......you can ask for a
separate cremation, costs a little more, otherwise it will be cremated
with other pets, and each owner gets some ashes. I don't care for that.

May 10th 09, 04:45 PM
On 8 May, 08:25, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I let them take my cat at the vet. She was not in there any more. I have all
> the shrines I need in my heart.

I'm the same- she doesn't need what she's left behind and instead of
paying for cremation (We have no garden so burial is not an option) I
give the money it would have cost to a cat shelter or some other
animal related charity- like when Isis died at home and the local PDSA
took care of things I left them probably the best donation they had
that day in their collecting tin

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

cybercat
May 10th 09, 04:59 PM
> wrote in message

> I'm the same- she doesn't need what she's left behind

The first time, I just thought I might die to have to handle my cat's body.
One of the most horrible things I have seen was her limp tail swaying as
they carried her body from the foot of my bed. (I was in denial and let her
go too long, she was weak and wasted and the vet came to the house to save
us trauma.)

and instead of
> paying for cremation (We have no garden so burial is not an option) I
> give the money it would have cost to a cat shelter or some other
> animal related charity- like when Isis died at home and the local PDSA
> took care of things I left them probably the best donation they had
> that day in their collecting tin

Very smart. Better to help the living cats.

dgk
May 11th 09, 02:42 PM
On Fri, 8 May 2009 09:52:50 -0500, (Gloria) wrote:

>have it cremated or burry it? We have a funereal parlor now that does
>both human and pet cremations (not in the same machine). And also a
>cemetery is starting a place for cremated pets near the human
>owners......I like that idea. With regular pet cemeteries.....it may not
>always be a pet cemetery. Sometimes they are sold and the land used for
>building something!

Nico got cremated solo and I kept his ashes. He was very special
however. He doesn't respond much though. His ashes just sit in a
cabinet in the living room gathering dust.

The other furballs I just let the vet take away. As others have
written, the cat is gone and the parts left behind aren't really
important. A bit of a contradiction there since I did keep Nico.

It likely isn't legal to bury dead pets (or other family members) in
my backyard, but I don't think I'd want them dug up accidently anyway.

The best thing I got recently was a pretty cheap camcorder. I got it
for converting 8mm home movies to DVD, and it works well for that, but
I'm also getting the felines on tape in all their madness. As my
memories fade, I'll have the videos to remind me of their
individualism. I really think that's more important than what happens
to their mortal remains.

Peg Caldwell-Ott
May 12th 09, 11:11 PM
When Amaretto died, we had him cremated. Like many who have responded
here, we were nervous that he would be co-mingled with other animals,
so we arranged with our vet for a private cremation. A bit more
expensive ($75 as opposed to $45--at NYC prices), but worth it to us.
We have his ashes here at home (his canister sits on a window sill
together with his favorite toys), and they will be mingled with our
own (eventually) for burial at sea. We plan to do the same with Alino
(now almost 19) and eventually Pemberton (now almost 3). Better to
all stay together, as we are sure we will all be once we cross Rainbow
Bridge together.

PegNDerek