PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil P - question about aspirin

May 12th 09, 02:53 AM
Hi Phil,

I'm a regular on RPCA and Matthew suggested I come over here and ask
you for an opinion.

My cat is 12 years old and has recently developed what looks like
arthritis to me. (Stiff when she first gets up, limps on the stairs,
but not on flat surfaces.)

Recently I took her to the vet (for something else), and while there
I asked what I could do about her joint pain. The vet suggested I give
my cat a low-dose aspirin (81mg) every 3 days. But when I told folks
about it on RPCA, I got a lot of responses saying that they were only
giving their cats 1/4 or 1/2 of an 81mg tab, every 3 days. And my cat
is small - she weighs only about 7 lbs. According to the calculation
I saw most in the RPCA posts, she should get 10mg for every kg of her
weight. That would work out to about 30mg every 3 days. Less than half
a tab and a bit more than 1/3.

I rechecked with the vet today, to be sure I didn't misunderstand her,
but she insisted that 81mg every 3 days is correct. I'm worried about
this, though - I don't want to give my cat liver damage!

By the way, the main reason I was at the vet in the first place was to
have her thyroid checked. They did a full blood panel and everything
came back normal, including kidney function and thyroid. She's in good
health.

Just wondered if you have an opinion about this. Her next dose is
tomorrow, and I'm thinking I'll give her 1/2 a tab rather than the
whole tab. Or should I give her 1/4?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Joyce ^..^

Matthew[_3_]
May 12th 09, 02:58 AM
Joyce his email is
let him know your are from the behavior group. He knows his stuff

> wrote in message
> Hi Phil,
>
> I'm a regular on RPCA and Matthew suggested I come over here and ask
> you for an opinion.
>
> My cat is 12 years old and has recently developed what looks like
> arthritis to me. (Stiff when she first gets up, limps on the stairs,
> but not on flat surfaces.)
>
> Recently I took her to the vet (for something else), and while there
> I asked what I could do about her joint pain. The vet suggested I give
> my cat a low-dose aspirin (81mg) every 3 days. But when I told folks
> about it on RPCA, I got a lot of responses saying that they were only
> giving their cats 1/4 or 1/2 of an 81mg tab, every 3 days. And my cat
> is small - she weighs only about 7 lbs. According to the calculation
> I saw most in the RPCA posts, she should get 10mg for every kg of her
> weight. That would work out to about 30mg every 3 days. Less than half
> a tab and a bit more than 1/3.
>
> I rechecked with the vet today, to be sure I didn't misunderstand her,
> but she insisted that 81mg every 3 days is correct. I'm worried about
> this, though - I don't want to give my cat liver damage!
>
> By the way, the main reason I was at the vet in the first place was to
> have her thyroid checked. They did a full blood panel and everything
> came back normal, including kidney function and thyroid. She's in good
> health.
>
> Just wondered if you have an opinion about this. Her next dose is
> tomorrow, and I'm thinking I'll give her 1/2 a tab rather than the
> whole tab. Or should I give her 1/4?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Joyce ^..^
>
> To email me, remove the XXX from my user name.

Peg Caldwell-Ott
May 12th 09, 11:17 PM
Our Alino--almost 19 yoa and also much lighter in weight these
dyas--gets a single St. Joseph's children's aspirin every fourth day,
and has done so for almost 3 years now. It definitely makes a
difference--he has far less trouble moving about and is happier in
general after he has had his dose. We keep track of the date we give
him a pill on our family calendar--an "A" with a circle around it--to
let us know when he needs the next dose, or when he has had the last
one. One point--do NOT give aspirin doses too close together!!

Good luck!

PegNDerek