PDA

View Full Version : Cat pooping on the floor and barfing up hairballs

Deuteros
May 14th 09, 04:06 PM
I have an 7 year old tabby who up until a couple of months ago has
never had any behavior problems. Now every couple of days he will poop
on the floor and it smells *really* bad and looks like yellow sludge.
He has two litter boxes and they both get cleaned every day. He uses
both boxes and he mostly poops in his box and it looks normal
(although yellow looking). This morning I cleaned out his box and my
cat went to use it right afterwards, but 5 minutes later he crapped
all over a pile of papers I had on the floor.

Also I've noticed that every week or so he will barf up a hairball.
He's never really done that before but they were small so I didn't
really think much of it. But this morning he barfed up a huge one.

Could the two be related somehow? The sludgy pooping on the floor
started a while before the hairballs. Other than those problems he
seems fine. No lethargy or hiding and he's still eating normally. He
never goes outside either.

May 14th 09, 04:43 PM
Sounds like it's time for a trip to the vet.... take a stool sample,
barf sample.... Have you changed his diet?

Susan

On May 14, 10:06*am, Deuteros > wrote:
> I have an 7 year old tabby who up until a couple of months ago has
> never had any behavior problems. Now every couple of days he will poop
> on the floor and it smells *really* bad and looks like yellow sludge.
> He has two litter boxes and they both get cleaned every day. He uses
> both boxes and he mostly poops in his box and it looks normal
> (although yellow looking). This morning I cleaned out his box and my
> cat went to use it right afterwards, but 5 minutes later he crapped
> all over a pile of papers I had on the floor.
>
> Also I've noticed that every week or so he will barf up a hairball.
> He's never really done that before but they were small so I didn't
> really think much of it. But this morning he barfed up a huge one.
>
> Could the two be related somehow? The sludgy pooping on the floor
> started a while before the hairballs. Other than those problems he
> seems fine. No lethargy or hiding and he's still eating normally. He
> never goes outside either.

spot
May 14th 09, 06:28 PM
Any time a cat changes litter box behavior you should immediately take
it to the vet for a check up.

Celeste

Granby
May 14th 09, 08:02 PM
I usually just lurk here and pick up good ideas from time to time.

However, being a relatively new cat person, one of the things I have learned
is "anytime a cat does something different than his normal around the
litterbox, it may be time to consult a vet" I believe that is true in this
case. JMO.