PDA

View Full Version : cat threw up, refused to eat - what questions to ask the vet?

Nadia N.
May 17th 09, 06:10 PM
My 1 year old cat Sweety was not feeling well last night or this
morning. She threw up around midnight (about an hour after she'd had her
dinner), and then this morning at 8am she refused to eat her breakfast.
Also this morning her ears seemed very hot to the touch. I was going to
wait to see if she refused her noon snack as well, and if she did I was
going to take her to the emergency vet, but about an hour later, she
suddenly started demanding food again. Her appetite seems to be back at
the moment, and she has been acting like her usual self - that is to
say, wolfing down any and all food put in front of her, and asking for
more. Her ears are no longer as hot as they were.

I will still be taking her to her regular vet when they open Monday
morning, just to make sure that whatever this was is completely gone. I
will ask the vet to do a full blood work up (if he doesn't suggest it on
his own).

What else should I ask the vet about? I am not very certain of this vet
- it's been difficult for me to find a vet that I trust since I moved to
Spain. The vets here seem to have more experience with dogs than with
cats, and I haven't been able to find a cats-only vet in my city. I am
taking her to the nearest vet clinic which I have used before to have my
cats vaccinated and when Sweety caught her eye with her claw, but I am
not sure how good they are with other problems. So if you guys can think
of anything else I should ask the vet to check when I bring her in,
please let me know.

Also, is it possible that all this could just be a bad reaction to a new
food? I had fed her about 1/3 of a small can of Hill's Ocean Fish food
last night (in addition to her regular food of Hill's Chicken and
Liver). It was supposed to be a treat. When she threw up an hour later,
I assumed that the new food just didn't agree with her tummy. Although
if it was a reaction to the food, why didn't my 8 year old cat have the
same reaction too? He had the other two thirds of the can of Hill's
Ocean Fish. And her refusing to eat this morning was unprecedented -
this is a cat that is always ready to eat, she steals food from human
plates when you look away for a second, she bullies her big brother away
from his food (he has to eat in a separate room with the door closed),
and if you let her she'll eat until she bursts. So, do you think that
the new food could have upset her stomach so much that she would refuse
to eat 8 hours after she'd thrown up her last meal? Her ears did feel
hot to me this morning, but I don't have a cat thermometer so I couldn't
really tell if she had a fever or if it was just my imagination...

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nadia N.
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety

S.Smith
May 17th 09, 08:42 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> [...]
> reaction to the food, why didn't my 8 year old cat have the same reaction
> too? He had the other two thirds of the can of Hill's Ocean Fish. And her
> refusing to eat this morning was unprecedented - this is a cat that is
> always ready to eat, she steals food from human plates when you look away
> for a second, she bullies her big brother away from his food (he has to
> eat in a separate room with the door closed), and if you let her she'll
> eat until she bursts. So, do you think that the new food could have upset
> her stomach so much that she would refuse to eat 8 hours after she'd
> thrown up her last meal? Her ears did feel hot to me this morning, but I
> don't have a cat thermometer so I couldn't really tell if she had a fever
> or if it was just my imagination...
>
> Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nadia,
Your babies are beautiful. I just went thru a similar thing with my 13 yr.
old calico. She did not eat for about 3 days and wanted to just sit in one
place all the time. She never has been a huge eater. On the 3rd day, I did
take her to my vet. He gave her a vitamin B shot to perk up her appetite.
It started working that afternoon, even tho he said it may take 24 hours.
She is now back to her normal routine. She did not have a fever. I seem to
remember going thru this a few years ago. It could just be a phase.
Keep an eye on Swetty anyway. Good luck.
Paloma's Mom

Debby Hanoka[_2_]
May 18th 09, 01:53 AM
Nadia, your cats are beautiful. I'm glad you're taking Sweety to the
vet on Monday morning.

It's possible that Sweety ate the Hill's Ocean Fish food too quickly.
In the past when my cats have had "tummy problems," I've taken away
food and water for a few hours (not more than 4 hours) and
reintroduced them in smaller quantities. When the reintroduced food
and water stayed down, I gradually increased the quantities in the
food/water dishes, until the quantities were back to normal.

Please post the results of the vet visit. We want to be sure
everything is okay with Sweety.

Debby Hanoka

On May 17, 1:10*pm, "Nadia N." > wrote:
> [...]
> if it was a reaction to the food, why didn't my 8 year old cat have the
> same reaction too? He had the other two thirds of the can of Hill's
> Ocean Fish. And her refusing to eat this morning was unprecedented -
> this is a cat that is always ready to eat, she steals food from human
> plates when you look away for a second, she bullies her big brother away
> from his food (he has to eat in a separate room with the door closed),
> and if you let her she'll eat until she bursts. So, do you think that
> the new food could have upset her stomach so much that she would refuse
> to eat 8 hours after she'd thrown up her last meal? Her ears did feel
> hot to me this morning, but I don't have a cat thermometer so I couldn't
> really tell if she had a fever or if it was just my imagination...
>
> Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May 18th 09, 04:36 AM
S.Smith wrote:

> Nadia,
> Your babies are beautiful. I just went thru a similar thing with my 13 yr.
> old calico. She did not eat for about 3 days and wanted to just sit in one
> place all the time. She never has been a huge eater. On the 3rd day, I did
> take her to my vet. He gave her a vitamin B shot to perk up her appetite.
> It started working that afternoon, even tho he said it may take 24 hours.
> She is now back to her normal routine. She did not have a fever. I seem to
> remember going thru this a few years ago. It could just be a phase.
> Keep an eye on Swetty anyway. Good luck.
> Paloma's Mom

Thank you for sharing your experience (and for liking my kitties :-).
Sweety seems to be all better at the moment. She ate her dinner with her
usual appetite and it stayed down. She is still going to the vet
tomorrow morning, just in case.

Nadia N.
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Nadia N.
May 18th 09, 05:00 AM
Debby Hanoka wrote:
> Nadia, your cats are beautiful. I'm glad you're taking Sweety to the
> vet on Monday morning.
>
> It's possible that Sweety ate the Hill's Ocean Fish food too quickly.
> In the past when my cats have had "tummy problems," I've taken away
> food and water for a few hours (not more than 4 hours) and
> reintroduced them in smaller quantities. When the reintroduced food
> and water stayed down, I gradually increased the quantities in the
> food/water dishes, until the quantities were back to normal.
>
> Please post the results of the vet visit. We want to be sure
> everything is okay with Sweety.
>
> Debby Hanoka

Thanks Debby.

I wasn't so much concerned with her throwing up her dinner, as with her
refusing breakfast the next morning. That is absolutely unprecedented
for her. It had been 9 hours after her dinner and 8 hours after she'd
thrown it all up, and I expected her to be very hungry. She refused
everything I offered her - 2 different kinds of wet food, dry food that
I sometimes give her as a treat, even these really strongly smelling
treats that she is absolutely crazy for.

She does seem to have gotten her appetite back, but she is going to the
vet tomorrow morning anyway. I don't mind having an unnecessary vet
visit, but if there is something wrong with her I want us to find it as
soon as possible.

As for her eating her food too quickly, she always inhales all her food
as fast as possible. So far it has not caused her to bring it back up,
though. But anything is possible when it comes to cats, isn't it? They
do like to drive us crazy :-)

I will post an update when we get back from the vet.

Nadia N.

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Nadia N.
May 18th 09, 09:35 PM
Nadia N. wrote:
> My 1 year old cat Sweety was not feeling well last night or this
> morning. She threw up around midnight (about an hour after she'd had her
> dinner), and then this morning at 8am she refused to eat her breakfast.
> Also this morning her ears seemed very hot to the touch. I was going to
> wait to see if she refused her noon snack as well, and if she did I was
> going to take her to the emergency vet, but about an hour later, she
> suddenly started demanding food again. Her appetite seems to be back at
> the moment, and she has been acting like her usual self - that is to
> say, wolfing down any and all food put in front of her, and asking for
> more. Her ears are no longer as hot as they were.
>
> I will still be taking her to her regular vet when they open Monday
> morning, just to make sure that whatever this was is completely gone. I
> will ask the vet to do a full blood work up (if he doesn't suggest it on
> his own).
>
> What else should I ask the vet about? I am not very certain of this vet
> - it's been difficult for me to find a vet that I trust since I moved to
> Spain. The vets here seem to have more experience with dogs than with
> cats, and I haven't been able to find a cats-only vet in my city. I am
> taking her to the nearest vet clinic which I have used before to have my
> cats vaccinated and when Sweety caught her eye with her claw, but I am
> not sure how good they are with other problems. So if you guys can think
> of anything else I should ask the vet to check when I bring her in,
> please let me know.
>
> Also, is it possible that all this could just be a bad reaction to a new
> food? I had fed her about 1/3 of a small can of Hill's Ocean Fish food
> last night (in addition to her regular food of Hill's Chicken and
> Liver). It was supposed to be a treat. When she threw up an hour later,
> I assumed that the new food just didn't agree with her tummy. Although
> if it was a reaction to the food, why didn't my 8 year old cat have the
> same reaction too? He had the other two thirds of the can of Hill's
> Ocean Fish. And her refusing to eat this morning was unprecedented -
> this is a cat that is always ready to eat, she steals food from human
> plates when you look away for a second, she bullies her big brother away
> from his food (he has to eat in a separate room with the door closed),
> and if you let her she'll eat until she bursts. So, do you think that
> the new food could have upset her stomach so much that she would refuse
> to eat 8 hours after she'd thrown up her last meal? Her ears did feel
> hot to me this morning, but I don't have a cat thermometer so I couldn't
> really tell if she had a fever or if it was just my imagination...
>
> Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Nadia N.

We are back from the vet. He listened to her heart and chest, took her
temperature and checked her out pretty thoroughly. He said she is in
perfect health - heart, lungs sound fine, no fever, no abdominal
obstructions, her eyes are clear and bright. He thinks the whole thing
could have been a very strong reaction to the new food.

I asked about doing a blood test but he said that, since she is eating
normally again and doesn't show symptoms of anything being wrong with
her, we should wait and observe her for 48 hours first. If she stops
eating again or shows any other unusual behaviour I'm to bring her back
for a blood test and another exam, but if she keeps eating and acting
normally there is no need to traumatize her by sticking her with needles.

So far she is being her usual self. Her appetite is completely back and
I am again having to feed her big brother behind a closed door in order
to prevent her from pushing him away from his dish and polishing off his
food as well as her own. So far so good...

Nadia N.

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

S.Smith
May 19th 09, 04:50 AM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> [...]
> perfect health - heart, lungs sound fine, no fever, no abdominal
> obstructions, her eyes are clear and bright. He thinks the whole thing
> could have been a very strong reaction to the new food.
>
> I asked about doing a blood test but he said that, since she is eating
> normally again and doesn't show symptoms of anything being wrong with her,
> we should wait and observe her for 48 hours first. If she stops eating
> again or shows any other unusual behaviour I'm to bring her back for a
> blood test and another exam, but if she keeps eating and acting normally
> there is no need to traumatize her by sticking her with needles.
>
> So far she is being her usual self. Her appetite is completely back and I
> am again having to feed her big brother behind a closed door in order to
> prevent her from pushing him away from his dish and polishing off his food

That is good news. Thanks for sending us the update.
Paloma's Mom

cybercat
May 19th 09, 05:24 AM
"Nadia N." > wrote
> We are back from the vet. He listened to her heart and chest, took her
> temperature and checked her out pretty thoroughly. He said she is in
> perfect health - heart, lungs sound fine, no fever, no abdominal
> obstructions, her eyes are clear and bright. He thinks the whole thing
> could have been a very strong reaction to the new food.

Glad she's okay. My cat once got really sick from nibbling a houseplant. Vet
gave her an anti-nausea drug and she was fine.

Gandalf
May 19th 09, 07:28 AM
On Mon, 18 May 2009 22:35:32 +0200, "Nadia N."
> [...]

>obstructions, her eyes are clear and bright. He thinks the whole thing
>could have been a very strong reaction to the new food.
>
>I asked about doing a blood test but he said that, since she is eating
>normally again and doesn't show symptoms of anything being wrong with
>her, we should wait and observe her for 48 hours first. If she stops
>eating again or shows any other unusual behaviour I'm to bring her back
>for a blood test and another exam, but if she keeps eating and acting
>normally there is no need to traumatize her by sticking her with needles.
>
>So far she is being her usual self. Her appetite is completely back and
>I am again having to feed her big brother behind a closed door in order
>to prevent her from pushing him away from his dish and polishing off his
>food as well as her own. So far so good...

I am glad to hear that Sweety is doing well, and your vet thinks she is
OK.

Your vet is a good one: many would run blood tests if you ask for them,
but with such a young healthy cat, that has displayed no further
symptoms after 24 hours, it is likely a waste of money.

I hope this was just caused by the food change, and will not happen
again.

Sweety is a VERY beautiful Kitty!

And so is Kotyo. I love tuxedo kitties!

I had a wonderful tuxedo kitty for 15 years. She went to the Bridge on
June 6th, 1999; almost 10 years ago now.

I still miss her. Every. Single. Day.

May 19th 09, 03:49 PM
Nadia,

I want to applaud you for reacting so promptly and taking your cat to
the vet. So many times, even a small change in a cat's behavior can
signal something is wrong. You did the right thing by bringing her in,
even if she seemed to perk up the next day. More folks should follow
your example.

Rene

cybercat
May 19th 09, 05:24 PM
> wrote in message
> Nadia,
>
> I want to applaud you for reacting so promptly and taking your cat to
> the vet. So many times, even a small change in a cat's behavior can
> signal something is wrong. You did the right thing by bringing her in,
> even if she seemed to perk up the next day. More folks should follow
> your example.

Hear hear!

Nadia N.
May 19th 09, 11:20 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Nadia N." > wrote
>> We are back from the vet. He listened to her heart and chest, took her
>> temperature and checked her out pretty thoroughly. He said she is in
>> perfect health - heart, lungs sound fine, no fever, no abdominal
>> obstructions, her eyes are clear and bright. He thinks the whole thing
>> could have been a very strong reaction to the new food.
>
> Glad she's okay. My cat once got really sick from nibbling a houseplant. Vet
> gave her an anti-nausea drug and she was fine.

Thanks. She really seems to be completely back to normal. Inhaling her
own food and then trying to break into the other room and steal Kotyo's
while he's still eating. It's a huge relief to see her cleaning her
plate at every meal again.

Nadia N.

--

Gandalf wrote:

> I am glad to hear that Sweety is doing well, and your vet thinks she is
> OK.
>
> Your vet is a good one: many would run blood tests if you ask for them,
> but with such a young healthy cat, that has displayed no further
> symptoms after 24 hours, it is likely a waste of money.

Yes, I do like my vet too. You can tell that he likes animals by the way
he handles the cats and how he talks to them. I guess in time I will
start trusting him more. I've only been going there for 2 years, and it
was mostly for the yearly vaccinations.

> I hope this was just caused by the food change, and will not happen
> again.

Yes, I think it was the food. I don't know what it is with the Hill's
wet food in Europe. This is the second time I've had a kitty become ill
from it. At least this time I can blame it on it being a new flavor that
she hadn't had before. But last year I had Kotyo throwing up and having
diarrhea after eating his regular Hill's canned food. I have been trying
to find another brand of wet to feed them. I've found at least a couple
of foods which are made with real meat that you can actually see when
you open the can, no artificial coloring, no wheat, no corn, but when I
look at their content analysis they don't seem to have the same amounts
of vitamins and minerals that the Hill's has, so I don't dare switch.

> Sweety is a VERY beautiful Kitty!
>
> And so is Kotyo. I love tuxedo kitties!

Thanks :-) Tuxedo kitties are the best, aren't they?

> I had a wonderful tuxedo kitty for 15 years. She went to the Bridge on
> June 6th, 1999; almost 10 years ago now.
>
> I still miss her. Every. Single. Day.

I'm so sorry for your loss. We have them in our lives for such a short
time. My Kotyo turned 8 on Saturday. I can not believe how fast the time
passed - yesterday he was a tiny kitten and these days I'm starting to
look for senior food for him.

Nadia N.

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Nadia N.
May 19th 09, 11:21 PM
cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Nadia,
>>
>> I want to applaud you for reacting so promptly and taking your cat to
>> the vet. So many times, even a small change in a cat's behavior can
>> signal something is wrong. You did the right thing by bringing her in,
>> even if she seemed to perk up the next day. More folks should follow
>> your example.
>>
> Hear hear!

Thanks. I have read too many people's postings on here and on the
anecdotes group about cats who show a lack of appetite one day and come
down with something really serious a few days later. Cats are too good
at hiding it when they're ill. I am not taking any chances with my babies.

Nadia N.

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

cybercat
May 20th 09, 12:00 AM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Nadia N." > wrote
>>> We are back from the vet. He listened to her heart and chest, took her
>>> temperature and checked her out pretty thoroughly. He said she is in
>>> perfect health - heart, lungs sound fine, no fever, no abdominal
>>> obstructions, her eyes are clear and bright. He thinks the whole thing
>>> could have been a very strong reaction to the new food.
>>
>> Glad she's okay. My cat once got really sick from nibbling a houseplant.
>> Vet gave her an anti-nausea drug and she was fine.
>
> Thanks. She really seems to be completely back to normal. Inhaling her own
> food and then trying to break into the other room and steal Kotyo's while
> he's still eating. It's a huge relief to see her cleaning her plate at
> every meal again.

She is a total doll, a snowshoe, right? We are going to get a similarly
colored cat from the shelter once my husband is ready to get another cat.
(We are still grieving our Boo, who was a beautiful tuxedo cat like your
Kotyo.)

S.Smith
May 20th 09, 04:08 AM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> Nadia,
>>>
>>> I want to applaud you for reacting so promptly and taking your cat to
>>> the vet. So many times, even a small change in a cat's behavior can
>>> signal something is wrong. You did the right thing by bringing her in,
>>> even if she seemed to perk up the next day. More folks should follow
>>> your example.
>>>
>> Hear hear!
>
> Thanks. I have read too many people's postings on here and on the
> anecdotes group about cats who show a lack of appetite one day and come
> down with something really serious a few days later. Cats are too good at
> hiding it when they're ill. I am not taking any chances with my babies.
>

> Nadia N.
>
> --
> Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
> Kotyo and Sweety together:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Nadia,
I have had two tuxedo cats..both males; one Sylvester and the other
Thumper...he got his name when he would jump down to the wooden floor and
would go "thump".
Paloma's Mom

Nadia N.
May 20th 09, 09:29 PM
cybercat wrote:

> She is a total doll, a snowshoe, right? We are going to get a similarly
> colored cat from the shelter once my husband is ready to get another cat.
> (We are still grieving our Boo, who was a beautiful tuxedo cat like your
> Kotyo.)

I am so sorry for your loss of Boo. We never have enough time with them :-(

Sweety is a ragdoll. She's got the ragdoll temperament, although not the
typical huge ragdoll size. She is just very very sweet and gentle.
Except when she has just stolen a chicken drumstick from the dinner
table and is running away with it in her mouth, growling fiercely to
warn off anyone from trying to take her prey away from her :-) She's got
an amazingly deep and hoarse growl - more like a dog than a cat. It
really does not match with her fluffy exterior. When she's not defending
her stolen food, though, she is a perfect sweetheart and can steal your
heart with just one look of those blue eyes.

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Kotyo and Sweety together:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/KotyoAndSweety

Nadia N.
May 20th 09, 09:30 PM
S.Smith wrote:

> Nadia,
> I have had two tuxedo cats..both males; one Sylvester and the other
> Thumper...he got his name when he would jump down to the wooden floor and
> would go "thump".
> Paloma's Mom

Hehe, Sylvester is a perfect name for a tuxedo kitty. Kotyo's name
simply means "baby boy kitty" in Bulgarian. His official name is Ashley
(after a character in Gone With the Wind), but the name Kotyo just stuck
and it's the only one he answers to. Maybe he didn't want to be mistaken
for a girl kitty all the time, since these days Ashley seems to have
become a girl's name.