PDA

View Full Version : Is Christmas Cactus poisonous?

jmc
May 19th 09, 01:42 AM
Hello, just caught Meep gnawing on my little Christmas Cactus. I can't
figure out if it's poisonous or not - some sites say it is, some that it
is not. Can't find anything that says symptoms or anything.

Can anyone give me the real skinny? It costs $60 to call animal poison
control.

If it will do her harm I'll certainly take her to the emergency clinic,
but don't want to if she'll be fine. I think she just took off one or
two small new segments.

She's never shown interest in it before, been sitting there for ages
with no teeth marks, then suddenly she just started chewing on it!

Silly cat. Is she going to be OK? Should I give her something to make
her throw up?

jmc

jmc
May 19th 09, 02:36 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/18/2009 8:42 PM):
> Hello, just caught Meep gnawing on my little Christmas Cactus. I can't
> figure out if it's poisonous or not - some sites say it is, some that it
> is not. Can't find anything that says symptoms or anything.
>
> Can anyone give me the real skinny? It costs $60 to call animal poison
> control.
>
> If it will do her harm I'll certainly take her to the emergency clinic,
> but don't want to if she'll be fine. I think she just took off one or
> two small new segments.
>
> She's never shown interest in it before, been sitting there for ages
> with no teeth marks, then suddenly she just started chewing on it!
>
> Silly cat. Is she going to be OK? Should I give her something to make
> her throw up?
>
> jmc

Ok, finally found a site that says, "it can be" but doesn't sound too
serious (nothing about taking them to emergency immediately or
anything). She didn't eat much and she seems fine, I'll keep an eye on her.

jmc

Granby
May 19th 09, 04:35 AM
Piglet, age three, ate several pieces of my cactus. She threw up once but
that was all. Just watch her is really all you can do.
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/18/2009 8:42 PM):
>> Hello, just caught Meep gnawing on my little Christmas Cactus. I can't
>> figure out if it's poisonous or not - some sites say it is, some that it
>> is not. Can't find anything that says symptoms or anything.
>>
>> Can anyone give me the real skinny? It costs $60 to call animal poison
>> control.
>>
>> If it will do her harm I'll certainly take her to the emergency clinic,
>> but don't want to if she'll be fine. I think she just took off one or
>> two small new segments.
>>
>> She's never shown interest in it before, been sitting there for ages with
>> no teeth marks, then suddenly she just started chewing on it!
>>
>> Silly cat. Is she going to be OK? Should I give her something to make
>> her throw up?
>>
>> jmc
>
> Ok, finally found a site that says, "it can be" but doesn't sound too
> serious (nothing about taking them to emergency immediately or anything).
> She didn't eat much and she seems fine, I'll keep an eye on her.
>
> jmc

May 19th 09, 03:47 PM
I generally use the CFA list of poisonous plants: http://www.cfa.org/articles/plants.html

Unfortunately, Christmas cactus is neither on the poisonous or non-
toxic list. I'd just keep an eye on her and see how she does (and move
the plant to a non-accessible location).

jmc
May 20th 09, 03:14 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/18/2009 8:42 PM):
> Hello, just caught Meep gnawing on my little Christmas Cactus. I can't
> figure out if it's poisonous or not - some sites say it is, some that it
> is not. Can't find anything that says symptoms or anything.
>
> Can anyone give me the real skinny? It costs $60 to call animal poison
> control.
>
> If it will do her harm I'll certainly take her to the emergency clinic,
> but don't want to if she'll be fine. I think she just took off one or
> two small new segments.
>
> She's never shown interest in it before, been sitting there for ages
> with no teeth marks, then suddenly she just started chewing on it!
>
> Silly cat. Is she going to be OK? Should I give her something to make
> her throw up?
>
> jmc

As it turns out, when I took a closer look at said cactus, it became
apparent she's been trimming it for some little time. Obviously hasn't
been hurting her much. It has now been moved out of her reach.

jmc

Granby
May 20th 09, 03:24 AM
Glad to hear all is well, except for the cactus.