PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article...

Claude V. Lucas
May 25th 09, 12:29 AM
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-taming-of-the-cat>

cyberpurrs
May 25th 09, 05:08 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-taming-of-the-cat>

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting it!

Stan Brown
May 25th 09, 04:26 PM
24 May 2009 23:29:18 GMT from Claude V. Lucas >:
> <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-taming-of-the-cat>

"Whereas other once wild animals were domesticated for their milk,
meat, wool or servile labor, cats contribute virtually nothing in the
way of sustenance or work to human endeavor. How, then, did they
become commonplace fixtures in our homes?"

Gimme a break. Cats keep down mice on farms and in many houses; I
don't see how that's "virtually nothing". As the article itself says,
"recent genetic and archaeological discoveries indicate that cat
domestication began ... when agriculture was getting under way."

And while dogs have plenty of work to do on farms, they do zilch in
non-farm households.

It seems obvious to me that both dogs and cats are popular pets
because we their owners are sublimating parental feelings. There's
something instinctive about us that cherishes small cuddly dependent
creatures.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

T[_4_]
May 26th 09, 10:17 PM
In article >,
says...

> <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-taming-of-the-cat>

Some keep cats for vermin control so they do serve a purpose.

dgk
May 27th 09, 01:47 PM
On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:17:04 -0400, T >
wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>>
>> <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-taming-of-the-cat>
>
>Some keep cats for vermin control so they do serve a purpose.

Not to mention how they relax me by being soft and mushy petting
surfaces. Of course, that is somewhat counterbalanced by the things
falling last night during some in-house road race.

cybercat
May 27th 09, 04:04 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:17:04 -0400, T >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>>says...
>>>
>>> <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-taming-of-the-cat>
>>
>>Some keep cats for vermin control so they do serve a purpose.
>
> Not to mention how they relax me by being soft and mushy petting
> surfaces. Of course, that is somewhat counterbalanced by the things
> falling last night during some in-house road race.

Making me laugh is a definite service, too.