PDA

View Full Version : ANTS! Yuck!

jmc
May 28th 09, 01:54 AM
Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying trails,
sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.

Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
away from your cat's food?

jmc

Claude V. Lucas
May 28th 09, 02:01 AM
In article >,
jmc > wrote:
>Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying trails,
>sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
>her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
>neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
>into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>
>Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
>away from your cat's food?

Boric Acid crystals down the holes. Tough if you can't find the hole...

Chipotle/Habanero sauce ant walls in places where humans and/or felines
might ingest it.

I get 'em once or twice a year, usually before it rains.

Boric Acid is cheap, relatively less toxic than some
stuff and kills roaches too. Home Depot...

I also put ant baits in places where the cat doesn't go
like under the fridge...

jmc
May 28th 09, 02:07 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/27/2009 8:54 PM):
> Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying trails,
> sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
> her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
> neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
> into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>
> Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
> away from your cat's food?
>
> jmc

Anybody find that something like this works?

http://tinyurl.com/rbcfor

jmc

jmc
May 28th 09, 02:28 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/27/2009 9:07 PM):
> Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (5/27/2009 8:54 PM):
>> Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying
>> trails, sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still
>> they find her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in
>> the neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a
>> trail into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>>
>> Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
>> away from your cat's food?
>>
>> jmc
>
> Anybody find that something like this works?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/rbcfor
>
> jmc

Other ideas I've found, would like to know your experience of them:

The antzer: This looks promising! Anyone using it?

Sani-moat: http://www.sani-moat.com/ - not sure it comes small enuf for
Meep's bowl, which is oval

talcum powder: Won't work, Meep likes to lick it!

Cinnamon powder or oil

Diatomous (sp?) earth (messy?)

Ok, enough of answering my own posts :)

jmc

Netmask
May 28th 09, 03:02 AM
jmc wrote:
> Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying trails,
> sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
> her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
> neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
> into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>
> Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
> away from your cat's food?
>
> jmc

Well notwithstanding my 70 revolutions around the SUN I think outside
the box and rather than kill the ants I feed them as close to the nest
as I can find - being efficient little beasts they don't bother going
much further. Works for me even with bull ants

nobody
May 28th 09, 12:11 PM
On Wed, 27 May 2009 20:54:02 -0400, jmc
> wrote:

>Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying trails,
>sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
>her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
>neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
>into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>
>Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
>away from your cat's food?

Here's what I've used with great success.

http://www.terro.com/

It's non-toxic to kitties and works fast. I used to have ants all
summer. I put these down at the first sign of ants and they're gone
within two days.

May 28th 09, 02:14 PM

> http://www.terro.com/
>
> It's non-toxic to kitties and works fast. *I used to have ants all
> summer. *I put these down at the first sign of ants and they're gone
> within two days.

Terro is great stuff, but IMO I wouldn't use it around pets or kids. I
use corn meal. The ants eat it, can't digest it, and die. Safe,
inexpensive, and simple. Just put little piles where you see the ants.

cardarch
May 28th 09, 10:20 PM
On May 27, 8:54*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. *We keep spraying trails,
> sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
> her food. *This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
> neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
> into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>
> Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
> away from your cat's food?

The way I handle it is I let Snuffy eat until he walks away. Then I
pick his bowl up or sometimes even the can, and put a cover on it and
just leave it on the counter. When he's hungry again, I give him the
same food. That goes on about 3 times in one day until its gone. It
happens every spring.

MaryL
May 28th 09, 11:16 PM
> wrote in message

> http://www.terro.com/
>
> It's non-toxic to kitties and works fast. I used to have ants all
> summer. I put these down at the first sign of ants and they're gone
> within two days.

Terro is great stuff, but IMO I wouldn't use it around pets or kids. I
use corn meal. The ants eat it, can't digest it, and die. Safe,
inexpensive, and simple. Just put little piles where you see the ants.

Corn meal! What a fantastic idea. I had never heard of that, but it's well
worth trying.

MaryL

S.Smith
June 1st 09, 07:32 PM
"cardarch" > wrote in message
On May 27, 8:54 pm, jmc > wrote:
> Well, once again, ants have found Meep's food. We keep spraying trails,
> sprayed border stuff on the outside of the house, but still they find
> her food. This time, I think they're coming from a nest in the
> neighbors house (we live in a townhouse) because I can't find a trail
> into the house from the outside, or up from the basement.
>
> Aside from the "ant" bowls, how do you keep ants out of your house and
> away from your cat's food?

The way I handle it is I let Snuffy eat until he walks away. Then I
pick his bowl up or sometimes even the can, and put a cover on it and
just leave it on the counter. When he's hungry again, I give him the
same food. That goes on about 3 times in one day until its gone. It
happens every spring.

In the past, to get rid of ants (I lived on the 3rd fl.) that would climb
into my room where I fed the cats. Once I found the entrance, I would just
plug it with toothpaste and that was the end of it. These were concrete
ants and I have no idea how they got to the food way up on the 3rd floor.
It was also the exterior wall of the apartment.
Paloma's and Petey's Mom