PDA

View Full Version : do you have a good cat story?

CatCreative
June 4th 09, 12:22 AM
Hi,
I'm writing a book with a veterinary nutritionist about overweight
cats. We are laying out simple, useful steps to help owners enjoy a
healthier, happier life with their kitties.

We are looking for stories of how your cat became obese, how you
managed to get your cat to lose weight, any interesting games or
exercises you do with your cat. We're also wondering if you feel you
indulge your cat and if he/she begs a lot. It can be your story, a
friend's or a story from your childhood. We treat every owner and cat
with due respect. Often cats become overweight after surgery when the
owner is working to help them recover. Neutered cats have a much
higher likelihood of adding pounds. There are a million reasons cats
become obese.

If you can help us make scientific concepts clear by sharing a story
of your cat, we'd be happy to send you a copy of our book.
Thanks again,
Suzanne

dgk
June 4th 09, 01:56 PM
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:22:09 -0700 (PDT), CatCreative
> wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm writing a book with a veterinary nutritionist about overweight
>cats. We are laying out simple, useful steps to help owners enjoy a
>healthier, happier life with their kitties.
>
>We are looking for stories of how your cat became obese, how you
>managed to get your cat to lose weight, any interesting games or
>exercises you do with your cat. We're also wondering if you feel you
>indulge your cat and if he/she begs a lot. It can be your story, a
>friend's or a story from your childhood. We treat every owner and cat
>with due respect. Often cats become overweight after surgery when the
>owner is working to help them recover. Neutered cats have a much
>higher likelihood of adding pounds. There are a million reasons cats
>become obese.
>
>If you can help us make scientific concepts clear by sharing a story
>of your cat, we'd be happy to send you a copy of our book.
>Thanks again,
>Suzanne

Nowhere to write to.

Anway, I have two cats that are grazers. They eat a bit, walk away,
come back later and eat some more. They maintain their weight well and
don't eat too much. I give them quality wet food twice a day. I used
to leave out some dry food for snacks.

Then I got Marlo. She simply doesn't know how to stop eating. If
there's food, she eats until she can't eat any more. She eats her food
and then eats whatever Espy and Nipsy leave behind. I can't leave dry
food out any more. I have to monitor the eating and keep her away from
the other bowls. I have to take away the food and give some more to
Espy and Nispy later.

Marlo's getting fat. I'm trying to give her less food but I want the
others to get enough and it takes a lot of oversight.

Let me know if you find a solution.

June 4th 09, 02:29 PM
> If you can help us make scientific concepts clear by sharing a story
> of your cat, we'd be happy to send you a copy of our book.
> Thanks again,
> Suzanne

I would be happy to share my story. Our oldest cat, Tucker, gained
weight on dry food, even the prescription Hills the vet had him on. I
finally got him to lose the weight by switching to a grain-free canned
food. Over nine months or so he lost 6 pounds and has kept the weight
off now for about four years.

Tucker has his own weight-loss web site with details and a log of his
weight loss: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
An excellent site on cat nutrition that has helped me with all of our
cats: http://www.catinfo.org/

All of our cats are now fed grain free wet food (raw and canned),
twice daily about 12 hours apart, and are in excellent body condition.
If you'd like more information, please email me directly. I'm happy to
provide the foods I feed, etc.

Rene

CatCreative
June 5th 09, 03:33 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your input. I wonder if Marlo was a rescue cat and not used
to the luxury of "free" feeding. I also read that to keep a heavier
cat away from the thinner cats' food, one can buy a plastic storage
container, flip it over and cut a hole in it only big enough to let
the skinny ones through. Put the thinner cats food in the container so
they can slip in and eat in peace without harassment from the larger
cat. I haven't tried it, and you'd have to secure this contraption to
the floor for stability, but I thought it an interesting idea.
Thanks again!
Suzanne Delzio
(you can check me out on amazon.com to see that I"m a legit pet
writer.)

Netmask
June 6th 09, 07:18 AM
wrote:
>> If you can help us make scientific concepts clear by sharing a story
>> of your cat, we'd be happy to send you a copy of our book.
>> Thanks again,
>> Suzanne
>
> I would be happy to share my story. Our oldest cat, Tucker, gained
> weight on dry food, even the prescription Hills the vet had him on. I
> finally got him to lose the weight by switching to a grain-free canned
> food. Over nine months or so he lost 6 pounds and has kept the weight
> off now for about four years.
>
> Tucker has his own weight-loss web site with details and a log of his
> weight loss: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
> An excellent site on cat nutrition that has helped me with all of our
> cats: http://www.catinfo.org/
>
> All of our cats are now fed grain free wet food (raw and canned),
> twice daily about 12 hours apart, and are in excellent body condition.
> If you'd like more information, please email me directly. I'm happy to
> provide the foods I feed, etc.
>
> Rene

If more people recognised that cats are "obligate carnivore" and in the
wild survive on whole mouse/birds and other rodents etc why oh why
doesn't every cat owner simply feed raw meat - meat with bones, chicken
wings etc. Whole fish, scales and all - you can even buy tinned mice in
some Sydney pet shops, mainly for the reptile collectors but maybe a bit
squeamish for Aunt Agathy!!! My first Burmese who reached 23 years
would love a hunting game where i would put a tinned mouse on a thread
and suddenly drop it in his sight line and pull - if ever a cat could
smile he would.. anyway he would eat the lot... It was a once a year
treat.... apart from that it was chicken wings and raw steak, sometimes
a lamb chop. His teeth were in better knick than mine!!

dgk
June 8th 09, 08:42 PM
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 07:33:37 -0700 (PDT), CatCreative
> wrote:

>Hi,
>Thanks for your input. I wonder if Marlo was a rescue cat and not used
>to the luxury of "free" feeding. I also read that to keep a heavier
>cat away from the thinner cats' food, one can buy a plastic storage
>container, flip it over and cut a hole in it only big enough to let
>the skinny ones through. Put the thinner cats food in the container so
>they can slip in and eat in peace without harassment from the larger
>cat. I haven't tried it, and you'd have to secure this contraption to
>the floor for stability, but I thought it an interesting idea.
>Thanks again!
>Suzanne Delzio
>(you can check me out on amazon.com to see that I"m a legit pet
>writer.)

We don't know Marlo's history because I plucked her from the street. I
started by leaving out some food for her but one February day it was 8
degrees (F) outside and I decided it was time for her to join the
family. Of course, I didn't know it was a her at first; I named her
Arlo until the vet said otherwise.

She couldn't have been out on the street too long (vet said she was a
year old or so) - she didn't seem to have real good success finding
food and she was dirty. We figured someone had dumped her because she
had no fear of me at all and I could even touch her while scooping out
the food.

But she sure seems to remember hunger and tries to avoid it at all
costs.

I don't think a box could be specific enough in size to differentiate
between Espy and Marlo. Marlo is actually a small cat but is heavy for
her size.

But each of them has an RF tracking device on their collar (makes it
easy to find them) and I was thinking that a feeding station could
respond to their tag and open or close accordingly. I know they do
that kind of thing for pet doors:

http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/Cat-Mate-Elite-Selective-Series-Cat-Doors-s/159.htm

Any inventors out there? I need a feed control station that uses the
same RF tag as are used by the Loc8tor device:

http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/product/Loc8tor-Lite,154,110.aspx?gclid=COK3zNa2-5oCFRNM5QodF2S1eQ

dgk
June 8th 09, 08:43 PM
On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 06:18:26 GMT, Netmask >

>>> If you can help us make scientific concepts clear by sharing a story
>>> of your cat, we'd be happy to send you a copy of our book.
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Suzanne
>>
>> I would be happy to share my story. Our oldest cat, Tucker, gained
>> weight on dry food, even the prescription Hills the vet had him on. I
>> finally got him to lose the weight by switching to a grain-free canned
>> food. Over nine months or so he lost 6 pounds and has kept the weight
>> off now for about four years.
>>
>> Tucker has his own weight-loss web site with details and a log of his
>> weight loss: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/
>> An excellent site on cat nutrition that has helped me with all of our
>> cats: http://www.catinfo.org/
>>
>> All of our cats are now fed grain free wet food (raw and canned),
>> twice daily about 12 hours apart, and are in excellent body condition.
>> If you'd like more information, please email me directly. I'm happy to
>> provide the foods I feed, etc.
>>
>> Rene
>
>If more people recognised that cats are "obligate carnivore" and in the
>wild survive on whole mouse/birds and other rodents etc why oh why
>doesn't every cat owner simply feed raw meat - meat with bones, chicken
>wings etc. Whole fish, scales and all - you can even buy tinned mice in
>some Sydney pet shops, mainly for the reptile collectors but maybe a bit
>squeamish for Aunt Agathy!!! My first Burmese who reached 23 years
>would love a hunting game where i would put a tinned mouse on a thread
>and suddenly drop it in his sight line and pull - if ever a cat could
>smile he would.. anyway he would eat the lot... It was a once a year
>treat.... apart from that it was chicken wings and raw steak, sometimes
>a lamb chop. His teeth were in better knick than mine!!

I've tried a raw diet. They sneer at it.