PDA

View Full Version : Help My Cat Box smells


bierma
June 12th 09, 08:11 PM
I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
Help my puddy lol

Matthew[_3_]
June 12th 09, 08:17 PM
"bierma" > wrote in message
...
>I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> Help my puddy lol
>


Every tried adding a fre breeze dispenser baking soda to the bottom of
the pan odor reducing litter

Bobble[_6_]
June 12th 09, 09:43 PM
bierma > wrote in news:c48c68bc-fde6-4eae-b9e6-
:

> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> Help my puddy lol

I use clumping litter, non-perfumed. I also scoop out the pee and poo
every day, as soon as I know the cat has used the box, or as soon as I get
home. By using clumping litter, the pee doesn't go to the bottom of the
box. It stays in a ball and it's easy to remove it all to a plastic bag
and throw it out (don't flush it). When I had 3 cats at once, my neighbour
couldn't believe there was no cat smell when she visited me - unless of
course somebody just did a smelly poo!

Bobble

bierma
June 12th 09, 10:47 PM
On Jun 12, 12:17*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "bierma" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> >I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> > cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> > Help my puddy lol
>
> Every tried adding a fre breeze dispenser * * *baking soda to the bottom of
> the pan * * * *odor reducing litter

I will try that thank you.

bierma
June 12th 09, 10:48 PM
On Jun 12, 1:43*pm, Bobble > wrote:
> bierma > wrote in news:c48c68bc-fde6-4eae-b9e6-
> :
>
> > I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> > cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> > Help my puddy lol
>
> I use clumping litter, non-perfumed. *I also scoop out the pee and poo
> every day, as soon as I know the cat has used the box, or as soon as I get
> home. *By using clumping litter, the pee doesn't go to the bottom of the
> box. *It stays in a ball and it's easy to remove it all to a plastic bag
> and throw it out (don't flush it). *When I had 3 cats at once, my neighbour
> couldn't believe there was no cat smell when she visited me - unless of
> course somebody just did a smelly poo!
>
> Bobble

I will try that thank you.

Netmask
June 13th 09, 12:04 AM
bierma wrote:
> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> Help my puddy lol

My (late) Burmese boys were human toilet trained on the second loo near
the back door - no smells, passing humans had the duty to push the flush
button. Never could get the cats to do that <g>

Stacey Weinberger
June 13th 09, 12:23 AM
Cleaning it with bleach works for me. Takes all the smell right away.

Stacey

"bierma" > wrote in message
...
>I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> Help my puddy lol

MLB
June 13th 09, 04:08 AM
Netmask wrote:
> bierma wrote:
>> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
>> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
>> Help my puddy lol
>
> My (late) Burmese boys were human toilet trained on the second loo near
> the back door - no smells, passing humans had the duty to push the flush
> button. Never could get the cats to do that <g>


I read a story about a cat that was "fixated"m on flushing the toilet.
He really ran the water bill up because he spent so much time flushing
and watching the water go down. MLB

Claude V. Lucas
June 13th 09, 04:16 AM
In article >, MLB > wrote:
>Netmask wrote:
>> bierma wrote:
>>> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
>>> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
>>> Help my puddy lol
>>
>> My (late) Burmese boys were human toilet trained on the second loo near
>> the back door - no smells, passing humans had the duty to push the flush
>> button. Never could get the cats to do that <g>
>
>
>I read a story about a cat that was "fixated"m on flushing the toilet.
>He really ran the water bill up because he spent so much time flushing
>and watching the water go down. MLB

Time to repost the Wisdom of Mingus...

<http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/Mingus/cat_training.html>

cybercat
June 13th 09, 04:35 AM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
...
> In article >, MLB >
> wrote:
>>Netmask wrote:
>>> bierma wrote:
>>>> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
>>>> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
>>>> Help my puddy lol
>>>
>>> My (late) Burmese boys were human toilet trained on the second loo near
>>> the back door - no smells, passing humans had the duty to push the flush
>>> button. Never could get the cats to do that <g>
>>
>>
>>I read a story about a cat that was "fixated"m on flushing the toilet.
>>He really ran the water bill up because he spent so much time flushing
>>and watching the water go down. MLB
>
> Time to repost the Wisdom of Mingus...
>
> <http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/Mingus/cat_training.html>

You're insane.

Claude V. Lucas
June 13th 09, 04:46 AM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:
>
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
...
>> In article >, MLB >
>> wrote:
>>>Netmask wrote:
>>>> bierma wrote:
>>>>> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
>>>>> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
>>>>> Help my puddy lol
>>>>
>>>> My (late) Burmese boys were human toilet trained on the second loo near
>>>> the back door - no smells, passing humans had the duty to push the flush
>>>> button. Never could get the cats to do that <g>
>>>
>>>
>>>I read a story about a cat that was "fixated"m on flushing the toilet.
>>>He really ran the water bill up because he spent so much time flushing
>>>and watching the water go down. MLB
>>
>> Time to repost the Wisdom of Mingus...
>>
>> <http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/Mingus/cat_training.html>
>
>You're insane.
>
>

How so?

Stan Brown
June 13th 09, 02:18 PM
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:11:14 -0700 (PDT) from bierma
>:
>
> I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
> cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
> Help my puddy lol

What liter are you using? I use Arm & Hammer scoopable, and I scoop
it out religiously every day. (Don't use Multi-cat: it's perfumed.)

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

dgk
June 15th 09, 05:14 PM
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:11:14 -0700 (PDT), bierma
> wrote:

>I have tried and tried to keep my appartment from smelling like a
>cat...I clean the box a lot bust still smell that smell...any Ideas?
>Help my puddy lol

Many fine suggestions already, but the food is also important. When I
fed the cats crappy food, like 9-Lives or Friskees or some supermarket
brand (cheap), the box gets full quickly and stinks. When using a
quality food (Proplan, Wellness, etc) there is less output and it
doesn't really smell much.

Contrary to what most people recommend (1 litter box for each cat plus
1 extra), all three of my cats use one litterbox. I never have a
problem. Use good quality food.

Rene S
June 17th 09, 08:42 PM
> Many fine suggestions already, but the food is also important. When I
> fed the cats crappy food, like 9-Lives or Friskees or some supermarket
> brand (cheap), the box gets full quickly and stinks. When using a
> quality food (Proplan, Wellness, etc) there is less output and it
> doesn't really smell much.

YES, food can make a big difference. "Garbage in, garbage out."

What kind of litter box do you have? Covered boxes, for instance, tend
to trap odors more, especially if the cat urinates and it seeps
inbetween the two pieces of the box (ask me how I know. . .) I have to
clean the one covered box we have more often because of this.

Scoop often, twice a day is good, and wash out the box regularly. I
use either Oxiclean or baking soda to clean the box out.