PDA

View Full Version : Healing an Injury

c1gmlm
June 20th 09, 03:46 PM
We have a stray cat we have adopted. He came to our backdoor with a
cut behind his ear. It has scabed over a couple of times and when it
looks like it is going to heal, he scratched off the scab anad we are
back to square one. Is there anything we can put on the scab to keep
it from irritated him?

Thanks

spot
June 20th 09, 05:05 PM
Take it to the vet and have it looked at. They can tell you if it needs
anything.

Celeste

Rene S
June 20th 09, 11:34 PM
Since he's reopened the wound several times, I am hoping it's not
infected. Is he friendly enough to let you pick him up and examine the
ear? Is it red, inflamed, pussing? If it's infected, he'll need to be
seen by a vet for treatment.

If it's truly just a cut/scrape, you can put a tiny amount of
neosporin on it and rub in. He can't lick his ear to ingest it.

Netmask
June 21st 09, 01:59 AM
c1gmlm wrote:
> We have a stray cat we have adopted. He came to our backdoor with a
> cut behind his ear. It has scabed over a couple of times and when it
> looks like it is going to heal, he scratched off the scab anad we are
> back to square one. Is there anything we can put on the scab to keep
> it from irritated him?
>
> Thanks
Probably needs to wear a Queen Mary hood for a day or 2 to prevent him
from using his paw to disturb the scab - cats can and do clean behind
their ears so some how you have to prevent this for about a week.

A visit to the vet is really the best option especially if there is an
infection.

A simple concoction you can make to help the healing process is
a teaspoon of Vaseline jelly and mix in 4 teaspoons of sulfur
Mix to a stiff paste and apply thinly over the wound. It is benign and
won't hurt if the cat manages to lick it. A pre anti-biotic treatment
for humans as well as animals! Still works.

You should be able to get a small quantity of sulfur from the local
chemist shop - you don't need a big bag and it keeps forever.

c1gmlm
June 21st 09, 02:54 AM
It isn't infected. We have cleaned it out with peroxide and were able
to use a spray antiseptic. We even used a liquid bandage spray. It
starts to heal nicely but at a certain point the scab must start
borthering him and he scratches it off and we start all over again. It
started out about the size of a 50 cent piece and now about a quarter.

Thanks
Mike

cybercat
June 21st 09, 04:52 AM
"c1gmlm" > wrote in message

> It isn't infected. We have cleaned it out with peroxide and were able
> to use a spray antiseptic. We even used a liquid bandage spray. It
> starts to heal nicely but at a certain point the scab must start
> borthering him and he scratches it off and we start all over again. It
> started out about the size of a 50 cent piece and now about a quarter.

Mike, we can't help you. Your cat needs to see a vet, and you are too cheap
or stupid to take him.

Magic Mood Jeep
June 21st 09, 03:53 PM
"c1gmlm" > wrote in message

> It isn't infected. We have cleaned it out with peroxide and were able
> to use a spray antiseptic. We even used a liquid bandage spray. It
> starts to heal nicely but at a certain point the scab must start
> borthering him and he scratches it off and we start all over again. It
> started out about the size of a 50 cent piece and now about a quarter.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

You said it is near his ear? Have his ears checked, they could be dirty,
or have ear mites. That could be the cause of the scratching. Your vet
could tell you.

--
>^..^< This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Granby
June 21st 09, 09:22 PM
My opinion is you need to take the cat to a VET. It may not be infected, as
we humans refer to it but, it must contain some sort of bacteria so probably
needs something stronger than you can give.
"c1gmlm" > wrote in message
> We have a stray cat we have adopted. He came to our backdoor with a
> cut behind his ear. It has scabed over a couple of times and when it
> looks like it is going to heal, he scratched off the scab anad we are
> back to square one. Is there anything we can put on the scab to keep
> it from irritated him?
>
> Thanks

Netmask
June 22nd 09, 01:17 AM
c1gmlm wrote:
> We have a stray cat we have adopted. He came to our backdoor with a
> cut behind his ear. It has scabed over a couple of times and when it
> looks like it is going to heal, he scratched off the scab anad we are
> back to square one. Is there anything we can put on the scab to keep
> it from irritated him?
>
> Thanks

The problem is purely mechanical - the cat naturally will try to remove
foreign bodies ie the scab. The fact that a scab has formed means the
cat's own defense system is fixing the problem if it is dry and not
weeping. So the solution to the problem is to prevent the cat from
getting to the scab. You may need something like this

http://pethealth.today.com/files/2009/01/625779_puppy_recovery_1.jpg

Your vet may have some other mechanical solution