PDA

View Full Version : Euthanasia Time for our Cat :(

Billy
June 23rd 09, 09:48 PM
Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my

She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
regularly up until yesterday.

I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.

So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
they said.

We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
that cells came back consistent with cancer.

Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
by the markings. The Xray does not.

http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg

Billy
June 23rd 09, 09:51 PM
This was the original post of mine:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pets.cats.health+behav/browse_thread/thread/7e8048ffb33c832d

MaryL
June 23rd 09, 10:59 PM
"Billy" > wrote in message
> Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my
>
> She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
> yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
> an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
> regularly up until yesterday.
>
> I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
> docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
> said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
> degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.
>
> So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
> they said.
>
> We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
> that cells came back consistent with cancer.
>
> Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
> read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
> the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
> internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
> where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
> by the markings. The Xray does not.
>
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg

Billy, I think this is the right decision. It's always difficult to know
when the time is "right," and we tend to second-guess ourselves. However, I
think any other decision--given the circumstances you have described--would
be selfish and an act of cruelty. In other words, you would be doing it for
yourself and not for Amber. What you are doing for her is the final gift of
love. You are sparing her unncecessary pain and you are being a responsible
guardian. I have had friends who have agonized because they waited *too
long* and saw their beloved pets suffer unbearable pain. So, try to console
yourself with the knowledge that you did everything reasonable for Amber and
that you sought medical counsel before making this most painful of
decisions. I have been through the same process, and you have my deepest
sympathy--and my acknowledgement that you are making the right decision.

MaryL

cybercat
June 23rd 09, 10:59 PM
"Billy" > wrote in message
> Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my

I'm so very sorry, Billy. You have done every loving thing you could for
her.

Granby
June 23rd 09, 11:12 PM
It sounds like you did the best you could and that is all that can be asked
of you. To second guess yourself will do no good. It sounds like even the
kitty knows it is time to go to the Bridge. Purrs for you all.
"Billy" > wrote in message
> Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my
>
> She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
> yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
> an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
> regularly up until yesterday.
>
> I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
> docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
> said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
> degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.
>
> So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
> they said.
>
> We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
> that cells came back consistent with cancer.
>
> Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
> read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
> the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
> internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
> where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
> by the markings. The Xray does not.
>
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg

Matthew[_3_]
June 24th 09, 12:02 AM
I am very sorry Billy

"Billy" > wrote in message
> Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my
>
> She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
> yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
> an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
> regularly up until yesterday.
>
> I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
> docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
> said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
> degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.
>
> So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
> they said.
>
> We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
> that cells came back consistent with cancer.
>
> Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
> read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
> the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
> internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
> where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
> by the markings. The Xray does not.
>
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg

Netmask
June 24th 09, 12:15 AM
Billy wrote:
> Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my
>
> She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
> yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
> an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
> regularly up until yesterday.
>
> I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
> docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
> said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
> degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.
>
> So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
> they said.
>
> We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
> that cells came back consistent with cancer.
>
> Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
> read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
> the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
> internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
> where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
> by the markings. The Xray does not.
>
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
> http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg

You have done your best for Amber - picking the right time is always
hard. My thoughts are with you and I'm sure you will feel her protective
presence for sometime as I do for my recently passed over Max.

dgk
June 24th 09, 02:12 PM
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:48:54 -0700 (PDT), Billy >
wrote:

>Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my
>
>She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
>yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
>an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
>regularly up until yesterday.
>
>I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
>docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
>said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
>degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.
>
>So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
>they said.
>
>We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
>that cells came back consistent with cancer.
>
>Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
>read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
>the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
>internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
>where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
>by the markings. The Xray does not.
>
>http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
>http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
>http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg

I have no idea about xrays but clearly you're making the right
decision. I said before that you can't win, either you think you did
it too soon or you regret making them suffer. Maybe in this case you
get to question your decision less; everyone is saying it's time and
even the surgeon isn't sounding too hopeful.

We're all going to go Billy. When I go I just want it to be time. It's
Amber's time I think. I share your pain. At least with people we can
discuss their options, with our felines we just have to do what we
think is best.

Of course, we can't actually euthanize people when it's their time.

Rene S
June 24th 09, 02:39 PM
From reading your posts, it seems you have done everything you can for
Amber (love her name BTW). Hugs to you today as you say goodbye to her
friend. She will be waiting for you at the Bridge. I found this poem a
couple of months ago, and thought it was wonderful:

Is Heaven all you asked of it,
O little cat? Did Peter fit
A halo for your graceless head?
Is there a quilt for your special bed,
And a bowl of cream just out of reach
Of your thieving paw? Or do They teach
You not to steal in paradise?
Does the flapping of Their wings entice?
Do you scamper and swing on a golden fence,
Or are They teaching you reverence?
And are there really golden thrones
Up there? Or do the Mighty Ones
Have nice fat chairs that you can claw
And tear and snag with an impious paw?
And do the angels understand
That a little cat in a lonely land
Still longs for a kiss and a friendly cuff?
Celestial joys are not enough.
Please, some small saint in shining white,
Hold her close in your arms tonight.
--Bianca Bradbury

Billy
June 25th 09, 11:46 PM
I want to thank each and every one of you who provided support and
your time to comment on my posts.

You have truly been remarkable and you made such a difference to our
feelings by your sensitive and caring comments.

I did have her Euthanized yesterday, but we postponed it for a few
hours so we would have more time with her. Amazingly, for the past day
and a half before this, she hid under the bed and did not eat at all.
However, 10 minutes before sending her to her final destination, she
limped down the stairs without us calling for her (her belly and sides
so bloated looking from the apparent fluids made that hard for her to
walk) to our lower floor. My wife held her perched with Amber's head
on my wife's shoulders and her body suspended along my wife's chest.
Amber purred so loud like she never did in years. We then placed her
on my lap and she sat there content and allowed me to stroke her for
the final few times. She let the kids stroke her without a hiss,
whine, etc. (very unusual). She usually would not let me or esp the
kids pet her for more than 20 seconds before she hissed during her
later years. She was a very loving, independant "people" cat but could
be moody and did what *she* wanted at at *her* decision, so this was
also an unusual moment.

I woke suddenly in the middle of last night thinking I should have
operated to see if the docs were wrong - maybe something she swallowed
was lodged somewhere and caused stomach or intestinal issues and the
perifontal effusion (I think that was what it was, sort of like the
wet form of FIP), maybe something the xrays could not absolutely show.
We had her creamated so there is no chance of ever knowing. I just
hope and pray that it was *not* something like a swallowed object that
lodged somewhere and caused all the fluid buildup from one of the
digestive parts being strangulated or partially blocked. Just hope
it's not something that we could have corrected.....I'm haunted with
the lack of a *100%* definitive diagnosis, and I doubt that I would do
this the same way again for another cat. Next time I'll HAVE TO KNOW.

Here is Amber at home right after we first saved her from the shelter
(just a kitten, maybe three months - this one kills me to look at, the
napkin on the floor was almost as big as her).....
http://www.bmecom.com/cat/9809XX_1

And here's Amber as an early adult cat (I think a she was 1.5 years
here)......
http://www.bmecom.com/cat/991004_1

On Jun 23, 5:59*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "Billy" > wrote in message

> > Well, It's time now. Our cat Amber (for anyone who followed my
>
> > She seems ready now, no spunk left, tired look, diareah (just started
> > yesterday), etc. No full meals for 23 days. Little bites of food here
> > an there through the days, that's it. Was still drinking water
> > regularly up until yesterday.
>
> > I just hope we did not make a mistake by not trying surgery. All the
> > docs said not to do it, the primary vet, oncologist, etc. The surgeon
> > said he could operate, but hes a surgeon and would favor this to some
> > degree, but even he gave a "guarded" prognosis on the outcome.
>
> > So the consensus was the tumor could not be removed. It was too big
> > they said.
>
> > We had xrays and ultrasound done. We also had a fine needle aspirate
> > that cells came back consistent with cancer.
>
> > Here's the xray's and ultrasound for anyone that either knows how to
> > read them or has/had similar xrays of their pet with cancer. I think
> > the xrays of the organs are clouded from the effusion (fluid buildup/
> > internal drainage from the Cancer) but you might be able to make out
> > where they say the tumor is in the xray. The ultrasound identifies it
> > by the markings. The Xray does not.
>
> >http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_thorax.jpg
> >http://www.bmecom.com/cat/xray_whole-body.jpg
> >http://www.bmecom.com/cat/ultsnd_mass.jpg
>
> Billy, I think this is the right decision. *It's always difficult to know
> when the time is "right," and we tend to second-guess ourselves. *However, I
> think any other decision--given the circumstances you have described--would
> be selfish and an act of cruelty. *In other words, you would be doing it for
> yourself and not for Amber. *What you are doing for her is the final gift of
> love. *You are sparing her unncecessary pain and you are being a responsible
> guardian. *I have had friends who have agonized because they waited *too
> long* and saw their beloved pets suffer unbearable pain. *So, try to console
> yourself with the knowledge that you did everything reasonable for Amber and
> that you sought medical counsel before making this most painful of
> decisions. *I have been through the same process, and you have my deepest
> sympathy--and my acknowledgement that you are making the right decision.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Billy
June 25th 09, 11:47 PM
Oops,
here's the correct links.....

http://www.bmecom.com/cat/9809XX_1.jpg

And here's Amber as an early adult cat (I think a she was 1.5 years
here)......
http://www.bmecom.com/cat/991004_1.jpg

On Jun 23, 5:59 pm, "MaryL"

On Jun 25, 6:46*pm, Billy > wrote:
> [...]
> > when the time is "right," and we tend to second-guess ourselves. *However, I
> > think any other decision--given the circumstances you have described--would
> > be selfish and an act of cruelty. *In other words, you would be doing it for
> > yourself and not for Amber. *What you are doing for her is the final gift of
> > love. *You are sparing her unncecessary pain and you are being a responsible
> > guardian. *I have had friends who have agonized because they waited *too
> > long* and saw their beloved pets suffer unbearable pain. *So, try to console
> > yourself with the knowledge that you did everything reasonable for Amber and
> > that you sought medical counsel before making this most painful of
> > decisions. *I have been through the same process, and you have my deepest
> > sympathy--and my acknowledgement that you are making the right decision..

June 26th 09, 12:25 AM
"Billy" > wrote:

>And here's Amber as an early adult cat (I think a she was 1.5 years
>here)......
http://www.bmecom.com/cat/991004_1

{{Billy}} She was a truly beautiful brown "mackeral tabby," Wow. And you
were the very best friend she ever could have had.

Granby
June 26th 09, 03:22 AM
You Have to stop this "what iffing". Her behavior, in being willing to have
each of you touch her, stroke her, love her shows me that she knew what was
going to happen. Doctors can, and have been wrong. From what you described
it sounds like this wasn't one of those times. If you have to know for the
next cat, fine but what is done is done and the kitty is happy and healthy
at the bridge. I believe in that.

I see so many people on these groups who have kept their beloved cats far
too lone and, put them thru far too many test. They are doing it for
themselves and not the cat. You followed your heard and paid attention to
you beloved cat. Now, just know the kitty is happy, and, you will have a
lot of wonderful memories once the pain eases a bit, and it will.

Purrs and prayers.
"Billy" > wrote in message
Oops,
here's the correct links.....

On Jun 25, 6:46 pm, Billy > wrote:
> [...]
> > described--would
> > be selfish and an act of cruelty. In other words, you would be doing it
> > for
> > yourself and not for Amber. What you are doing for her is the final gift
> > of
> > love. You are sparing her unncecessary pain and you are being a
> > responsible
> > guardian. I have had friends who have agonized because they waited *too
> > long* and saw their beloved pets suffer unbearable pain. So, try to
> > console
> > yourself with the knowledge that you did everything reasonable for Amber
> > and
> > that you sought medical counsel before making this most painful of
> > decisions. I have been through the same process, and you have my deepest
> > sympathy--and my acknowledgement that you are making the right decision.

Rene S
June 26th 09, 01:53 PM
She was a beautiful girl. I adore brown tabbies. I agree with Granby.
You need to stop beating yourself up. We make the best decisions we
can with the information at hand. "Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to
let you go."