PDA

View Full Version : Removing Clumping Litter From Carpet (Help!)

FirstHit
June 24th 09, 08:01 PM
We have a considerable amount of clumping litter that has spilled
outside the litter box, gotten wet and dried. Does anyone know the
best way to remove dried-up clay-like clumps that have attached
themselves to the carpet?

I am thinking about vacuuming up any loose litter and then wetting the
area, hopefully making a "mud" which I can work out of the rug while
it's wet. I'm not sure that will work, and it could do more harm than
good, so I'd like to see if anyone has some helpful advice about
this.

FirstHit

Rene S
June 24th 09, 09:04 PM
IMO I would try and get as much out as you can when it's dry. Don't
rewet it if possible. The bad thing about clumpable litter is that is
forms almost a goo when wet.

If it were me, I'd remove as much of the dry stuff as possible, then
call a carpet cleaning service. Get their advice before wetting
anything.

FirstHit
June 27th 09, 04:53 AM
On Jun 24, 1:04*pm, Rene S > wrote:
> IMO I would try and get as much out as you can when it's dry. Don't
> rewet it if possible. The bad thing about clumpable litter is that is
> forms almost a goo when wet.
>
> If it were me, I'd remove as much of the dry stuff as possible, then
> call a carpet cleaning service. Get their advice before wetting
> anything.

Thank you Rene S (and the other person who replied). I will call a
carpet-cleaning service for advice. Additionally, if I can find a
piece of carpet scrap, I might want to do an experiment or two to see
the likely result of re-wetting the dried litter.

My aim is mostly just to remove the litter from the rug, which has
urine in it. My cat died recently from kidney disease, and I want
this cleaned up before I get another cat. It would be nice to restore
the rug to its pre-litter condition, but I can live with a damaged rug
so long as the litter and urine are removed. The area affected is
just the landing on the stairs, and we plan on re-rugging the whole
house in a couple of years before we sell the place.

I would have preferred the litter box to be downstairs on the tiled
floor, but the kitty had other ideas. With my next cat, if she won't
accept the tiled location, I will probably use a litter box cover and
a protective mat.

FirstHit