PDA

View Full Version : Why is FeLV contagious?

Calvin
June 27th 09, 02:13 AM
Is it a virus?

How contagious is it? Is one drink from the same
water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?

Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
while the carrier lives on?

Thanks for any answers.

Granby
June 27th 09, 01:49 PM
Not to be rude but, Google it, there are some good explanations then some
may have comments that will help you.
"calvin" > wrote in message
> Is it a virus?
>
> How contagious is it? Is one drink from the same
> water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?
>
> Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
> while the carrier lives on?
>
> Thanks for any answers.

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 09, 04:55 PM
I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
this meant to be sarcastic
"Granby" > wrote in message
> Not to be rude but, Google it, there are some good explanations then some
> may have comments that will help you.
> "calvin" > wrote in message
>> Is it a virus?
>>
>> How contagious is it? Is one drink from the same
>> water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?
>>
>> Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
>> while the carrier lives on?
>>
>> Thanks for any answers.

Calvin
June 27th 09, 07:04 PM
On Jun 27, 11:55*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet *was
> this meant to be sarcastic"Granby"

So which is it? Am I supposed to believe the internet, or not?
Last time you said no. This time Granby says yes. Why not
just answer my questions, if you can?

cybercat
June 27th 09, 07:48 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...
>I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
>this meant to be sarcastic

hahaha!

Calvin
June 27th 09, 08:06 PM
On Jun 27, 2:48*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote:
> >I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet *was
> >this meant to be sarcastic
>
> hahaha!

If you're laughing at his grammar, yes it's hilarious.

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 09, 09:19 PM
"calvin" > wrote in message
On Jun 27, 2:48 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote:
> >I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
> >this meant to be sarcastic
>
> hahaha!

If you're laughing at his grammar, yes it's hilarious.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shot to the heart. I am so wounded by the grammer
nazi. Help I am dying here!! Calvin tried to make a funny but doesn't
realize that some one that makes grammer comments still wets the bed.

You want Phil to send you a crayon poster with the information that is a
simple Google look up that has actual up to date reliable sources AND NOT
BLOGS.

Here I will save him and us the headache. If you don't understand these 3
TOP sources. PAY A VET

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_leukemia_virus
http://felineleukemia.org/

Now go away

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 09, 09:20 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> ng.com...
>>I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
>>this meant to be sarcastic
>
> hahaha!
Didn't this "person" say he would not respond to us and a few others again

Calvin
June 27th 09, 09:52 PM
On Jun 27, 4:20*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote:
> > "Matthew" > wrote:
> >>I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet *was
> >>this meant to be sarcastic
>
> > hahaha!
>
> Didn't this "person" say he would not respond to us and a few others again

No, it was only one thread that I said I would not post to again.
Are you telling me that I should never post to this NG again?
I started posting here years ago, long before I had the
misfortune to meet you and 'cyberca't. Why don't you and
'cybercat' just leave me alone? When I post something, or
ask a question here, just ignore me, and let others respond
if they want to. This is not a moderated group, and you have
no right to try to ban me from it. Since you don't like me,
just ignore me and leave me alone. Maybe I will learn
something here that will help my cats. Maybe I can contribute
something here based on my experiences with many cats over
the past eleven years. Why are you trying to inhibit this?
What have I done to you that is so bad? Tell me and maybe I
will apologize.

cybercat
June 27th 09, 09:54 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> ng.com...
>>>I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
>>>this meant to be sarcastic
>>
>> hahaha!
> Didn't this "person" say he would not respond to us and a few others again

I don't know, I kfed him ages ago. I was laughing at your pointing out the
irony of him asking an easily Googled question.

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 09, 10:05 PM
"calvin" > wrote in message
On Jun 27, 4:20 pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote:
> > "Matthew" > wrote:
> >>I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
> >>this meant to be sarcastic
>
> > hahaha!
>
> Didn't this "person" say he would not respond to us and a few others again

< snipped >

YAWN

Granby
June 28th 09, 01:51 AM
What is that kids song?

Oh her we go, oh here we go, oh here we go AGAIN!
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "calvin" > wrote in message
> On Jun 27, 2:48 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Matthew" > wrote:
>> >I was going to say for a person; Calvin, that swears by the internet was
>> >this meant to be sarcastic
>>
>> hahaha!
>
> If you're laughing at his grammar, yes it's hilarious.
>
> Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shot to the heart. I am so wounded by the grammer
> nazi. Help I am dying here!! Calvin tried to make a funny but doesn't
> realize that some one that makes grammer comments still wets the bed.
>
> You want Phil to send you a crayon poster with the information that is a
> simple Google look up that has actual up to date reliable sources AND NOT
> BLOGS.
>
> Here I will save him and us the headache. If you don't understand these 3
> TOP sources. PAY A VET
>
> http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_leukemia_virus
> http://felineleukemia.org/
>
> Now go away

Calvin
June 28th 09, 06:10 PM
On Jun 28, 12:49*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> ... My company is my choice. *No matter how "bad"
> cybercat can be she is helpful also. ...

'Cybercat' is female? I thought only males on the internet
were that nasty. My mistake, thanks for the correction.

Smokie Darling (Annie)
June 30th 09, 11:15 PM
On Jun 26, 7:13*pm, calvin > wrote:
> Is it a virus?

Yes. The V stands for virus.

> How contagious is it? *Is one drink from the same
> water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?
>
> Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
> while the carrier lives on?
>
> Thanks for any answers.

At one link that Matthew shared, it takes you to this one (it's an FeLV
+ FAQ):

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resources/brochure/felv.html

That one explains how it *can* be transferred, how it *can* affect
cats, and other things I hadn't thought of. Every cat is different.
Perhaps your older cat was already ill, and coming into contact with
the stray overtaxed her immune system?

I'm very sorry to hear you lost her.

Phil P.
July 1st 09, 08:24 AM
"calvin" > wrote in message
> Is it a virus?

FeLV = [Fe] line [L] eukemia [V] irus.

> How contagious is it?

Depends on the age of the cat. Kittens and cats < 4 mo are very susceptible.
Older cats are highly resistant. The older the cat the more resistant they
are- its a phenomenon called "age-related resistance".

Is one drink from the same
> water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?

Possible but highly improbable in that time frame- especially at your
deceased cat's age.. It takes a lot of virus and prolonged, intimate
contact to establish a persistant infection.

> Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
> while the carrier lives on?

Highly improbable. Persistently infected cats usually don't begin to develop
clinical signs for many months- or even years in many cases.

Your FeLV+ cat had nothing to do with your deceased cat's death.

Calvin
July 1st 09, 01:30 PM
On Jul 1, 3:24*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "calvin" > wrote:
> > Is it a virus?
>
> FeLV = [Fe] line [L] eukemia [V] irus.
>
> > How contagious is it?
>
> Depends on the age of the cat. Kittens and cats < 4 mo are very susceptible.
> Older cats are highly resistant. The older the cat the more resistant they
> are- its a phenomenon called "age-related resistance".
>
> > Is one drink from the same
> > water bowl likely to be enough to catch it?
>
> Possible but highly improbable in that time frame- especially at your
> deceased cat's age.. *It takes a lot of virus and prolonged, intimate
> contact to establish a persistant infection.
>
> > Is a cat that catches it likely to die within two months,
> > while the carrier lives on?
>
> Highly improbable. Persistently infected cats usually don't begin to develop
> clinical signs for many months- or even years in many cases.
>
> Your FeLV+ cat had nothing to do with your deceased cat's death.

Thank you for these responses.

alida
August 2nd 09, 07:30 AM