PDA

View Full Version : Espy not eating

dgk[_2_]
June 29th 09, 12:42 AM
He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet). Nor would he eat his favoirte
dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). Worse, he wouldn't eat the yellow
Temptations - everyone's favorite.

I was going to post this morning but instead I took him to the
emergency vet. The vet poked and felt around and said that it doesn't
feel like there was any obstruction and that his teeth looked good.
Temperature was normal but no chems or cbc was run. I was to monitor
his behavior and bring him in again if anything happened.

Nothing happened. If it wasn't for not eating I wouldn't suspect any
problem because he has been acting pretty much normal. Still, it's
dinner time and he ate nothing again. Not a surprise since he wouldn't
eat hamburger or fish.

I noticed one of the cats has thrown up a bit, so perhaps he has a
hairball that's bothering him. But if he doesn't eat tomorrow morning,
then we go off to the regular vet.

Calvin
June 29th 09, 01:59 AM
On Jun 28, 7:42*pm, dgk > wrote:
> He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
> normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet). Nor would he eat his favoirte
> dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). Worse, he wouldn't eat the yellow
> Temptations - everyone's favorite.
>
> I was going to post this morning but instead I took him to the
> emergency vet. The vet poked and felt around and said that it doesn't
> feel like there was any obstruction and that his teeth looked good.
> Temperature was normal but no chems or cbc was run. I was to monitor
> his behavior and bring him in again if anything happened.
>
> Nothing happened. If it wasn't for not eating I wouldn't suspect any
> problem because he has been acting pretty much normal. Still, it's
> dinner time and he ate nothing again. Not a surprise since he wouldn't
> eat hamburger or fish.
>
> I noticed one of the cats has thrown up a bit, so perhaps he has a
> hairball that's bothering him. But if he doesn't eat tomorrow morning,
> then we go off to the regular vet.

I lost a cat last week, my oldest (12 1/2), who had been eating
less, though she never ate much compared to my other cats.
For a week or so she had been showing up to meals, but not
eating much. Late on the night she died I had made sure
she ate and drank water when the cats had late night snacks,
so I wasn't worried. But then she didn't show up for breakfast
and I found her body in the wooded area where she liked to hang
out. I guess the moral is that any decrease in eating is something
to be very concerned about. But then sometimes I've taken a
cat to the vet after not eating two meals, and the vet found
nothing wrong. It's really hard to know how to react to a slight
change in eating habits.

Billy
June 29th 09, 03:40 AM
Get s CBC & T4. If all comes back normal which btw very well could and
still be disease then get an xray & ultrasound/aspirate if mass found.

I just went thhu w/ my cat and she had a pancreatic adenocarnioma, a
very silent and deadly cancer. Shockingly, the only symptom was lack of
appetite and difficulty eating as she wasted away.

I'm not trying to alarm you but I learned that when a cat doesn't eat,
it's either something really simple or obvious like a tooth, to the
extreme like something pushing on the stomach or other organs lpossibly
within the digestive path like a mass. Initially when her eating was
declining gradually but unnoticeably we found some increasing vomit
trails, assuming like you it was hairballs and not knowing which cat in
our milticat household. When her eating really declined so did the vomit
because there was nothing left to come out. Now looking back at her
records, there was real slight but gradual weight loss over 6 mths to a
year that wasn't significant enough to raise a red flag, but these are
also warning signs not to be overlooked. We also had her on a weight
loss program over the past two years using hills WD dry food, so the
weight loss cause was even more difficult to pinpoint.

Important thing is to get a diagnosis real quick to not lose tiMe and
your options for cure.

dgk > wrote:
> He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
> normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet). Nor would he eat his favoirte
> dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). Worse, he wouldn't eat the yellow
> Temptations - everyone's favorite.
>
> I was going to post this morning but instead I took him to the
> emergency vet. The vet poked and felt around and said that it doesn't
> feel like there was any obstruction and that his teeth looked good.
> Temperature was normal but no chems or cbc was run. I was to monitor
> his behavior and bring him in again if anything happened.
>
> Nothing happened. If it wasn't for not eating I wouldn't suspect any
> problem because he has been acting pretty much normal. Still, it's
> dinner time and he ate nothing again. Not a surprise since he wouldn't
> eat hamburger or fish.
>
> I noticed one of the cats has thrown up a bit, so perhaps he has a
> hairball that's bothering him. But if he doesn't eat tomorrow morning,
> then we go off to the regular vet.

cybercat
June 29th 09, 06:15 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
> normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet).

Hope he is better soon. Bless you for taking him to the vet before you
posted ... pretty unusual around here. You let him out, right? Another thing
to think of, is that he may have gotten something he should not have. Fenced
yard or not, it's the chance you take.

Sharon
June 29th 09, 10:53 AM
I would treat him for hair balls. Try Temptations.

dgk[_2_]
June 29th 09, 02:34 PM
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:15:06 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
>> normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet).
>
>Hope he is better soon. Bless you for taking him to the vet before you
>posted ... pretty unusual around here. You let him out, right? Another thing
>to think of, is that he may have gotten something he should not have. Fenced
>yard or not, it's the chance you take.

The vet was concerned that he might have eaten some bulb plants,
apparently they can be hazardous to cats. I do have some of those but
I've never seen any of the cats care about them They just eat the
grass and of course I don't put down anything harmful - crappy lawn
but (usually) healthy cats.

The vet thinks that one kidney feels harder than the other but he
isn't sure what that means yet. Blood work and an X-Ray are underway
so I had to leave him there. He told me that I can be concerned but
not worried yet. Too late for that advice. I'm into panic mode. Nipsy
and Marlo are good cats, but Espy (like Nico before him) is special to
me. Just so smart and weird.

I hardly slept last night -every time I awoke I had to go check on
him.

Billy
June 29th 09, 04:52 PM
Dong worry until you get a diagnosis, but do keep us posted. I think
kidney disease, hypothyroidism and other things can cause the appetite
issue to. Has the cat been lethargic, increased peeing & thirst? How old
is the cat??????

Please let us know what the xrays and bloodwork discover....

dgk > wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:15:06 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> >"dgk" > wrote in message
> >> He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat
> > > his
> >> normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet).
> >
> >Hope he is better soon. Bless you for taking him to the vet before
> > you
> >posted ... pretty unusual around here. You let him out, right?
> > Another thing
> >to think of, is that he may have gotten something he should not have.
> > Fenced
> >yard or not, it's the chance you take.
> >
> The vet was concerned that he might have eaten some bulb plants,
> apparently they can be hazardous to cats. I do have some of those but
> I've never seen any of the cats care about them They just eat the
> grass and of course I don't put down anything harmful - crappy lawn
> but (usually) healthy cats.
>
> The vet thinks that one kidney feels harder than the other but he
> isn't sure what that means yet. Blood work and an X-Ray are underway
> so I had to leave him there. He told me that I can be concerned but
> not worried yet. Too late for that advice. I'm into panic mode. Nipsy
> and Marlo are good cats, but Espy (like Nico before him) is special to
> me. Just so smart and weird.
>
> I hardly slept last night -every time I awoke I had to go check on
> him.

cybercat
June 29th 09, 05:00 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> I'm into panic mode.

I know. You're in my thoughts.

dgk[_2_]
June 30th 09, 12:16 AM
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:52:51 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
wrote:

>Dong worry until you get a diagnosis, but do keep us posted. I think
>kidney disease, hypothyroidism and other things can cause the appetite
>issue to. Has the cat been lethargic, increased peeing & thirst? How old
>is the cat??????
>
>Please let us know what the xrays and bloodwork discover....

Espy is apparently seven. (Espy stands for Salt and Pepper). He's the
only cat I know that has an award named after him.

I thought he was five or so but the fiirst vet visit was 2003. He
wasn't noticeably lethargic until yesterday and even then he was
walking around investigating things just like always. But he did lie
back in an empty box like sick cats do during the evening.

While he turned down food, he did hit the water fountain fairly often
so I was wondering about diabetes. He was also spending a lot of time
licking his butt and I noticed liquid under him when I picked him up
out of the box. I thought that he might be drooling after eating
something foul like some bug- I've had cats do that.

Blood work won't be back until tomorrow, but the Xray showed that the
immediate cause of his problem was that his uretha was blocked -
something worse than a mucous plug. The bladder was twice normal size
and was impinging on the intestines preventing him from pooping. With
three cats it's almost impossible to notice this stuff. I might catch
one peeing or pooping but it's tough to notice one is failing to
pee/poop.

The vet expressed the bladder and Espy is apparently feeling better.
The vet said that he was eating although he just turned down his wet
food - he has apparently eaten recently. He did eat a few Temptations
which I am happy about.

As for the underlying cause, there is definitely something going on in
one kidney. The vet did not feel that CRF is in the immediate future
although his guess is that reduced kidney functioning is the cause of
the blockage.

Well, $400 in lab tests will get us the big picture tomorrow. I don't
think there is a test that was left out. Hmm. I don't recall seeing
Ova and Parasites but that was probably in there also.

Thanks for the concern, I'll let you all known when I know.

cybercat
June 30th 09, 01:24 AM
"dgk" > wrote

> Blood work won't be back until tomorrow, but the Xray showed that the
> immediate cause of his problem was that his uretha was blocked -
> something worse than a mucous plug. The bladder was twice normal size
> and was impinging on the intestines preventing him from pooping. With
> three cats it's almost impossible to notice this stuff. I might catch
> one peeing or pooping but it's tough to notice one is failing to
> pee/poop.
>
> The vet expressed the bladder and Espy is apparently feeling better.
> The vet said that he was eating although he just turned down his wet
> food - he has apparently eaten recently. He did eat a few Temptations
> which I am happy about.
>
> As for the underlying cause, there is definitely something going on in
> one kidney.

Oh, I was hoping it was just a simple blockage like males get so often. Hope
it can be fixed.

Billy
June 30th 09, 04:29 AM
And if you need to know to better define the issue there is ultrasound
that more clarly defines the kidneys, it's mass, shape, dimensions, etc.
A better diangnostic tool than the xray I think - somewhere between an
xray or more extensive CAT Scan/MRI without invasiveness other than a
shave and muscle relaxant. It can tell the doc more. It's expensive but
an option to ask your vet about if a clear dianosis is not provided yet
needed....keep us posted on the bloodwork, that might be all that is
required along w/ the xray.

"cybercat" > wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote
> >
> > Blood work won't be back until tomorrow, but the Xray showed that
> > the
> > immediate cause of his problem was that his uretha was blocked -
> > something worse than a mucous plug. The bladder was twice normal
> > size
> > and was impinging on the intestines preventing him from pooping.
> > With
> > three cats it's almost impossible to notice this stuff. I might
> > catch
> > one peeing or pooping but it's tough to notice one is failing to
> > pee/poop.
> >
> > The vet expressed the bladder and Espy is apparently feeling better.
> > The vet said that he was eating although he just turned down his wet
> > food - he has apparently eaten recently. He did eat a few
> > Temptations
> > which I am happy about.
> >
> > As for the underlying cause, there is definitely something going on
> > in
> > one kidney.
>
> Oh, I was hoping it was just a simple blockage like males get so
> often. Hope
> it can be fixed.

dgk
June 30th 09, 12:48 PM
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:29:46 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
wrote:

>And if you need to know to better define the issue there is ultrasound
>that more clarly defines the kidneys, it's mass, shape, dimensions, etc.
>A better diangnostic tool than the xray I think - somewhere between an
>xray or more extensive CAT Scan/MRI without invasiveness other than a
>shave and muscle relaxant. It can tell the doc more. It's expensive but
>an option to ask your vet about if a clear dianosis is not provided yet
>needed....keep us posted on the bloodwork, that might be all that is
>required along w/ the xray.

He wouldn't eat his normal food this morning. I had to break out the
one can I have of Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats. He did eat some of that.

It's very odd - he sort of looks at the food but it's like he doesn't
see it, or maybe smell it. Even when I give him the yellow
Temptations, he watches where I put it and then sniffs around like
he's trying to find where it went. He did eat one or two more of those
this morning.

Well, nothing to do but wait for the report.

dgk
June 30th 09, 07:03 PM
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> He doesn't eat a whole lot anyway but this morning he wouldn't eat his
>> normal ProlPlan Salmon and Rice (wet).
>
>Hope he is better soon. Bless you for taking him to the vet before you
>posted ... pretty unusual around here. You let him out, right? Another thing
>to think of, is that he may have gotten something he should not have. Fenced
>yard or not, it's the chance you take.

Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was amorphous
urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems. Kidneys
are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.

There were some lesions on his tongue which the vet noticed when Espy
was having the X-Ray. It's not otherwise easy to check a cat's tongue.
The vet is thinking that Espy ate something that he shouldn't have
eaten. We're thinking it was something in the backyard but there are
some indoor options as well.

I have this rather pretty artificial plant which is beloved by the
Significant Other. That plant has been chewed on lately. It's going to
find a new place at the back of some closet, hopefully in someone
else's house. There are also a few houseplants. They will be examined
closely for any signs of chewing. Any found to have been chewed will
find a new home.

A thorough examination of the basement and all detergents, cleaners,
etc will be conducted. Any evidence of tampering will be dealt with
severely.

And, for a week, Espy will be banned from the backyard. Since it will
be next to impossible to keep him in while letting the others out, all
cats will be banned from going out for a week. At least that will give
me a chance to redo the deck waterproofing. I'll also conduct a
thorough examination of the backyard. A dead bird was discovered a few
days ago - very odd since the rare successful attack on a bird is
followed by the cat bringing the trophy home. No such trophy
presentation was held. Perhaps this one died of something else and
Espy nibbled at it.

Looks like I'll have to get to Trader Joe and stock a few cans of Tuna
For Cats until his appetite picks up again. At least he'll eat
something.

Now I just observe his behavior (like I can do anything else) and I
talk to the vet on Friday for another consult.

cybercat
July 1st 09, 12:06 AM
"dgk" > wrote

> Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was amorphous
> urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems. Kidneys
> are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.

Beautiful, dgk. I am so happy for both of you. Hope his appetite picks up
and everybody is happy and healthy again soon.

dgk
July 1st 09, 01:33 PM
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:06:30 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>>>

>> Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was amorphous
>> urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems. Kidneys
>> are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.
>>

>Beautiful, dgk. I am so happy for both of you. Hope his appetite picks up
>and everybody is happy and healthy again soon.

Still far from out of the woods (so to speak). He is eating some food
but not much. Actually, that's pretty much his normal pattern but
eating somewhat less.

The oddest behavior is with the Temptations. He will pick them up but
they sort of fall out of his mouth. Then he ignores them. I really
can't figure it.

I got a few minutes to examine the backyard (before the daily
torrential downpour began - this is important I think). Under the deck
are a few big old surface roots from a tree that died maybe five years
ago. They were totally white - mildew or some other kind of mold. I've
really never seen anything like it before, almost like it had snowed
on just the roots. It was so glaring that stared at it for a few
seconds before I realized what it was.

A few days ago I had noticed a stick around an inch in diameter and
four inches long that was very crumbly because it was rotting. The
middle part of it looked like something had been chewing on it. It was
around one of Espy's favorite spots on one of the steps leading down
from the deck. Maybe Espy was chewing on the stick?

Just this morning there was an ad on the radio for something I never
heard of before - Scott's Lawn Mold Fighter or something like that.
Because we have had SO much rain in June (set a 100 year record or
more) there are mold and mushrooms everywhere. I wonder if there is
going to be some epidemic of creatures dying from mold ingestion?

Plus, someone did throw up a small amount of liquid with something
white in the middle of it on some pants just the other day - when Epsy
was already sick. Damn I washed those pants - should have saved it.

I saw Espy in the litterbox this morning. He did pee successfully and
cover it up, but then he squatted again for a few seconds. Nothing
more came out but that was unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye out. I
wonder if I can set up some sort of surveillance camera on the
litterbox?

Well, I'll pass this info by the vet today and see what he says, but
I'm betting it's the mold.

Rene S
July 1st 09, 06:30 PM
> The oddest behavior is with the Temptations. He will pick them up but
> they sort of fall out of his mouth. Then he ignores them. I really
> can't figure it.

Maybe this has already been checked, but how are his teeth? Tooth pain
could cause this.

> I saw Espy in the litterbox this morning. He did pee successfully and
> cover it up, but then he squatted again for a few seconds. Nothing
> more came out but that was unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye out. I
> wonder if I can set up some sort of surveillance camera on the
> litterbox?

It's great that he peed (seems funny to type that!). It's possible
that, even after he peed, he felt an 'urge' to go again. As long as
he's urinating, it's good. Just keep a close eye on how often he goes.
Even if you can't watch his every mood, you can get a good idea by the
size and number of clumps in the box.

Billy
July 2nd 09, 06:43 AM
I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.

You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
that model.

You need some tech knowledge but I can help if you need it.

dgk > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:06:30 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> >"dgk" > wrote
> >>>

> >> Cybercat wins! Maybe. Test results are in. The blockage was
> > > amorphous
> >> urate crystals and there is some evidence of liver problems.
> > > Kidneys
> >> are fine and no diabetes, infection, or mention of cancer.
> >>

> >Beautiful, dgk. I am so happy for both of you. Hope his appetite
> > picks up
> >and everybody is happy and healthy again soon.
> >

> Still far from out of the woods (so to speak). He is eating some food
> but not much. Actually, that's pretty much his normal pattern but
> eating somewhat less.
>
> The oddest behavior is with the Temptations. He will pick them up but
> they sort of fall out of his mouth. Then he ignores them. I really
> can't figure it.
>
> I got a few minutes to examine the backyard (before the daily
> torrential downpour began - this is important I think). Under the deck
> are a few big old surface roots from a tree that died maybe five years
> ago. They were totally white - mildew or some other kind of mold. I've
> really never seen anything like it before, almost like it had snowed
> on just the roots. It was so glaring that stared at it for a few
> seconds before I realized what it was.
>
> A few days ago I had noticed a stick around an inch in diameter and
> four inches long that was very crumbly because it was rotting. The
> middle part of it looked like something had been chewing on it. It was
> around one of Espy's favorite spots on one of the steps leading down
> from the deck. Maybe Espy was chewing on the stick?
>
> Just this morning there was an ad on the radio for something I never
> heard of before - Scott's Lawn Mold Fighter or something like that.
> Because we have had SO much rain in June (set a 100 year record or
> more) there are mold and mushrooms everywhere. I wonder if there is
> going to be some epidemic of creatures dying from mold ingestion?
>
> Plus, someone did throw up a small amount of liquid with something
> white in the middle of it on some pants just the other day - when Epsy
> was already sick. Damn I washed those pants - should have saved it.
>
> I saw Espy in the litterbox this morning. He did pee successfully and
> cover it up, but then he squatted again for a few seconds. Nothing
> more came out but that was unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye out. I
> wonder if I can set up some sort of surveillance camera on the
> litterbox?
>
> Well, I'll pass this info by the vet today and see what he says, but
> I'm betting it's the mold.

dgk
July 2nd 09, 01:48 PM
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 10:30:26 -0700 (PDT), Rene S
> wrote:

>> The oddest behavior is with the Temptations. He will pick them up but
>> they sort of fall out of his mouth. Then he ignores them. I really
>> can't figure it.
>
>Maybe this has already been checked, but how are his teeth? Tooth pain
>could cause this.
>

>> I saw Espy in the litterbox this morning. He did pee successfully and
>> cover it up, but then he squatted again for a few seconds. Nothing
>> more came out but that was unusual behavior. I'll keep an eye out. I
>> wonder if I can set up some sort of surveillance camera on the
>> litterbox?
>
>It's great that he peed (seems funny to type that!). It's possible
>that, even after he peed, he felt an 'urge' to go again. As long as
>he's urinating, it's good. Just keep a close eye on how often he goes.
>Even if you can't watch his every mood, you can get a good idea by the
>size and number of clumps in the box.

Yes, his teeth are fine. Too bad; my initial hope was that it was a
tooth. Expensive but acute rather than chronic or fatal.

One of the reasons I've refused to put a cover on the litterbox was
because I always want to monitor what they're doing in there. But
since three cats use the box, unless I see the action I don't know
which one does what. Well, not exactly true. If something isn't
covered I know it was Nipsy. That big guy just doesn't want to be
bothered.

dgk
July 2nd 09, 02:01 PM
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 05:43:46 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
wrote:

>I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
>it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
>tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
>there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.
>
>You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
>PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
>ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
>the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
>Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
>there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
>detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
>that model.

..
Xray showed only an enlarged bladder, which was because it was plugged
up. Boy, that must have been uncomfortable.

He's gotten somewhat better with the Temptations. The funny thing is
that he would always ignore any Tempations that he started eating and
then dropped. It was like they weren't there once they got wet. This
morning he ate quite a few and didn't leave many crumbs.

It seems that he's getting better. He eats a little more each feeding
time, although I have to be tricky about it. First I feed him as much
as he will eat of his standard ProPlan Salmon and Rice. Then, after a
few minutes, I break out the Trader Joe Tuna for Cats, and he eats
some of that. Then I bring out the dry stuff (Royal Canin number 26)
and he eats some of that. Finally, a few Temptations.

The real problem is that he just NEVER ate very much. Finding anything
he's willing to eat wasn't easy and we finally settled on the PPS&R,
and sometimes he just walks away from that. He really is a grazer
though and likes to come back and eat a bit later. That's tough with
the feline vacuum cleaner known as Marlo sharing the house.

dgk
July 2nd 09, 02:39 PM
wrote:

>I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
>it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
>tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
>there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.
>
>You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
>PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
>ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
>the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
>Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
>there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
>detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
>that model.
>
>You need some tech knowledge but I can help if you need it.

I forgot to mention the camera. Years ago I set up a cam on a cat tree
and used to just remote desktop into my home PC from work and
sometimes I'd catch them in the tree. Most times not though.

Since I am going away in a month or so, I think I will set up some
webcams. Hard to know where to place them though. One on the litterbox
is almost a must, especially if I can have it record based on motion.
Good idea.

cybercat
July 2nd 09, 02:45 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> He's gotten somewhat better with the Temptations. The funny thing is
> that he would always ignore any Tempations that he started eating and
> then dropped. It was like they weren't there once they got wet. This
> morning he ate quite a few and didn't leave many crumbs.
>
> It seems that he's getting better. He eats a little more each feeding
> time, although I have to be tricky about it. First I feed him as much
> as he will eat of his standard ProPlan Salmon and Rice. Then, after a
> few minutes, I break out the Trader Joe Tuna for Cats, and he eats
> some of that. Then I bring out the dry stuff (Royal Canin number 26)
> and he eats some of that. Finally, a few Temptations.

Excellent news!

> The real problem is that he just NEVER ate very much. Finding anything
> he's willing to eat wasn't easy and we finally settled on the PPS&R,
> and sometimes he just walks away from that. He really is a grazer
> though and likes to come back and eat a bit later. That's tough with
> the feline vacuum cleaner known as Marlo sharing the house.

Exactly like my little Gracie, when Boo the Food Hoover was here. :)

dgk
July 2nd 09, 04:19 PM
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:45:25 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>> He's gotten somewhat better with the Temptations. The funny thing is
>> that he would always ignore any Tempations that he started eating and
>> then dropped. It was like they weren't there once they got wet. This
>> morning he ate quite a few and didn't leave many crumbs.
>>
>> It seems that he's getting better. He eats a little more each feeding
>> time, although I have to be tricky about it. First I feed him as much
>> as he will eat of his standard ProPlan Salmon and Rice. Then, after a
>> few minutes, I break out the Trader Joe Tuna for Cats, and he eats
>> some of that. Then I bring out the dry stuff (Royal Canin number 26)
>> and he eats some of that. Finally, a few Temptations.
>
>Excellent news!
>

>> The real problem is that he just NEVER ate very much. Finding anything
>> he's willing to eat wasn't easy and we finally settled on the PPS&R,
>> and sometimes he just walks away from that. He really is a grazer
>> though and likes to come back and eat a bit later. That's tough with
>> the feline vacuum cleaner known as Marlo sharing the house.
>
>Exactly like my little Gracie, when Boo the Food Hoover was here. :)

It really is a problem though. I used to just leave out a bowl of dry
food all the time and Espy was perfectly happy eating some wet and
grazing on the dry during the day. But I stopped doing that because
Marlo would inhale the whole bowl. She was starting to look like a
tick that's been sucking blood.

I have had her losing a bit of weight but I'm really not willing to
kill Espy to prevent her from overeating. Today I left out a bowl of
dry stuff and I'll see if maybe she has tempered her eating a bit.
I really do need to get a motion sensitive camera.

dgk
July 2nd 09, 07:03 PM
wrote:

>I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically questioned
>it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
>tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing and
>there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.
>
>You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell phone
>PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
>ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check on
>the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
>Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted anywhere
>there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the motion
>detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
>that model.
>
>You need some tech knowledge but I can help if you need it.

Ok, I couldn't get the W but got the IP410. It means running another
50' cable through the house but I already have one for the TiVo so one
more will hardly be noticed. I'll play with it later and see if I can
get it to do motion recording. That way I can review the litterbox
activity plus give me reassurance when going away later this month.

Billy
July 2nd 09, 09:50 PM
Yea, that's the newer model of the same webcam I think, and wired is
better anyway at a steady 100 Mbps, ESP when streaming video packets.

Please keep a close eye on Espy's weight - that is something you can
definitively monitor w/o the webcam.

dgk > wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 05:43:46 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
> wrote:
>
> >I think you said the xrays were ok, I assume you specifically
> > questioned
> >it. Food falling out could be teeth, ESP if eating from one side/head
> >tilt, etc. However, my cat was doing the food drop crumbling thing
> > and
> >there were no tooth issues, it was that she was refusing it.
> >
> >You can setup a pan and tilt webcam that is viwable even by cell
> > phone
> >PDA's. I have one eyeball style wireless cam mounted in my bow window
> >ceiling. I can spin it around and all when I'm on vacation to check
> > on
> >the pets.i would catch them in the window sunbathing when i was away.
> >Trendnet TV-ip400W can be gotten for about $150 now and mounted
> > anywhere
> >there is a plug, foe ex....by the litterbox and you can set the
> > motion
> >detect to record still images when movement occurs. I would reccomend
> >that model.
> >
> >You need some tech knowledge but I can help if you need it.
> >

> Ok, I couldn't get the W but got the IP410. It means running another
> 50' cable through the house but I already have one for the TiVo so one
> more will hardly be noticed. I'll play with it later and see if I can
> get it to do motion recording. That way I can review the litterbox
> activity plus give me reassurance when going away later this month.

Granby
July 4th 09, 01:00 PM
And the WAITING is the hardest part. At least if news isn't what you want,
you can at least start doing SOMETHING. I am not a patient person in this
area. I figure I can fight the devil I know but not the one I don't.
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:29:46 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
> wrote:
>
>>And if you need to know to better define the issue there is ultrasound
>>that more clarly defines the kidneys, it's mass, shape, dimensions, etc.
>>A better diangnostic tool than the xray I think - somewhere between an
>>xray or more extensive CAT Scan/MRI without invasiveness other than a
>>shave and muscle relaxant. It can tell the doc more. It's expensive but
>>an option to ask your vet about if a clear dianosis is not provided yet
>>needed....keep us posted on the bloodwork, that might be all that is
>>required along w/ the xray.
>>

> He wouldn't eat his normal food this morning. I had to break out the
> one can I have of Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats. He did eat some of that.
>
> It's very odd - he sort of looks at the food but it's like he doesn't
> see it, or maybe smell it. Even when I give him the yellow
> Temptations, he watches where I put it and then sniffs around like
> he's trying to find where it went. He did eat one or two more of those
> this morning.
>
> Well, nothing to do but wait for the report.

dgk
July 6th 09, 02:07 PM
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 20:50:56 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
wrote:

>Yea, that's the newer model of the same webcam I think, and wired is
>better anyway at a steady 100 Mbps, ESP when streaming video packets.
>
>Please keep a close eye on Espy's weight - that is something you can
>definitively monitor w/o the webcam.

I'm returning the wired one I bought at J&R and ordered the wireless
one (which does both). I can't easily run a cable from the switch into
the bathroom without getting lots of flac from the SO. In fact, a
camera in the bathroom is getting hostile comments. I do intend to use
it to monitor the litterbox but, after all, it does pan.

I will likely use it on wireless for the litterbox and wired when
needed somewhere closer to the switch.

Espy is pretty close to being as normal as he ever was, refusing most
food but eating enough to stay alive. I opened a new case of ProPlan
Salmon&Rice and he seemed to like this one more than the last one. He
ate some, walked away, and came back for his encore. He often does
that. Eats, walks away, and comes back in a minute or two and eats a
bit more. He is SO weird.

I spent Saturday cleaning out all the mold under the deck. What a job;
I filled three big platic bags with crap from under there and all the
mold I could find. Then, we spread that weed block stuff (sort of a
plastic sheet that water and air can penetrate) under the whole deck
covering all the area where the mold had been. Cybercat won't be happy
but all three cats went out after that. I have the usual mixed
feelings. I know they'd be safer if I never let them out, but they
love being outside so much.

We kept a good watch on what they were doing. Espy, of course, was
most curious about the new weed blocker "cloth". Then he resumed his
normal position on the side of the steps, almost completely hidden
from view by some weeds. They all ate some grass but nothing else as
far as I could tell.

I checked some messages in this forum, and at the end of 2005 I had a
post about Epsy having apparently eaten something bad and also having
abnormal liver enzyme levels. I'll need to ask the vet about that.
Maybe the enzyme levels have been abnormal for him for a while. We are
supposed to check them again in a week or so.

Kellyj42
July 27th 09, 03:21 PM
Please keep me posted on Epsy. I have a 11yr old cat with the exact
same symptoms and she is an indoor only cat. I have spent over $1000
trying to find out what is wrong with her. She is not getting any
better, and every vet and emergency clinic is baffled. I don't want to
lose her and need to know if you find out what is wrong with Epsy or
if you find a medication that works for her.
Thank you & God Bless

dgk
July 31st 09, 02:03 PM
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:21:55 -0700 (PDT), Kellyj42
> wrote:

>Please keep me posted on Epsy. I have a 11yr old cat with the exact
>same symptoms and she is an indoor only cat. I have spent over $1000
>trying to find out what is wrong with her. She is not getting any
>better, and every vet and emergency clinic is baffled. I don't want to
>lose her and need to know if you find out what is wrong with Epsy or
>if you find a medication that works for her.
>Thank you & God Bless

I really can't figure out what went on with Espy. It looks like his
whole problem had nothing to do with anything particularly bad that he
ate, aside from dry food in general. Apparently he was just feeling
lousy because of a urinary blockage (I can sympathize there) and since
your cat is female that doesn't seem anywhere near as likely a
problem.

Anyway, I was delayed coming home by a day because of awful weather in
New York (spent four hours on the plane before getting cancelled) so
Espy spent an extra day at the vet. I had to leave him at the vet
because he had developed a Proteus UTI as a result of the blockage and
treatments. So, he had to be pilled and the cat sitter couldn't
guarantee that - I can hardly get him to eat that pill either down the
throat or in his food.

The report from the Vet was that he peed and pooped like a champ, but
just doesn't eat very much. He never ate very much but I'd like to get
him up another pound or so. He's around 8 right now. Tougher since I'm
not allowed to give him any dry food. I left some out for Nipsy and
Marlo while I was away because the cat sitter only came once a day.
Now they're complaining because I took it away.

Espy was VERY happy to be home and immediately wanted to go into the
backyard, so the brood spent a few hours outside until dinner time.
He's really completely back to normal except just a bit more
affectionate than before. Either he appreciates his fine medical care
or is afraid that I'm going to subject him to some more.

I'm supposed to do a follow up urine culture and maybe liver profile
so I think he is going to get some more attention. I can't figure out
how I'm going to get him to pee in a cup.

cybercat
July 31st 09, 04:36 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> Espy was VERY happy to be home and immediately wanted to go into the
> backyard, so the brood spent a few hours outside until dinner time.
> He's really completely back to normal except just a bit more
> affectionate than before. Either he appreciates his fine medical care
> or is afraid that I'm going to subject him to some more.

No, he missed you! My little Gracie is sooo sweet when I come home from a
few days away, would be doubly so if she were at the vet!

> I'm supposed to do a follow up urine culture and maybe liver profile
> so I think he is going to get some more attention. I can't figure out
> how I'm going to get him to pee in a cup.

haha! You don't have to, the vet will extract the urine.

dgk
August 3rd 09, 01:25 PM
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:36:18 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>

>> Espy was VERY happy to be home and immediately wanted to go into the
>> backyard, so the brood spent a few hours outside until dinner time.
>> He's really completely back to normal except just a bit more
>> affectionate than before. Either he appreciates his fine medical care
>> or is afraid that I'm going to subject him to some more.
>
>No, he missed you! My little Gracie is sooo sweet when I come home from a
>few days away, would be doubly so if she were at the vet!
>

>> I'm supposed to do a follow up urine culture and maybe liver profile
>> so I think he is going to get some more attention. I can't figure out
>> how I'm going to get him to pee in a cup.
>>

>haha! You don't have to, the vet will extract the urine.

I maybe got lucky. I was by the litterbox and Espy went in and
squatted I grabbed an (hopefully) empty Fancy Feast container and put
it under his butt just as he started peeing. I put it in the refrig
and dropped it off at the vet next morning. Now all I have to do is
hope that it wasn't too contaminated by the remains of Fancy Feast.
Same goes for the urinalysis. If I get really strange results then I
can ignore them and I'm just out the cash.

Results should be in today.

jmc
August 3rd 09, 09:31 PM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (8/3/2009 8:25 AM):
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:36:18 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dgk" > wrote
>>
>>> Espy was VERY happy to be home and immediately wanted to go into the
>>> backyard, so the brood spent a few hours outside until dinner time.
>>> He's really completely back to normal except just a bit more
>>> affectionate than before. Either he appreciates his fine medical care
>>> or is afraid that I'm going to subject him to some more.
>> No, he missed you! My little Gracie is sooo sweet when I come home from a
>> few days away, would be doubly so if she were at the vet!
>>

>>> I'm supposed to do a follow up urine culture and maybe liver profile
>>> so I think he is going to get some more attention. I can't figure out
>>> how I'm going to get him to pee in a cup.
>>>
>> haha! You don't have to, the vet will extract the urine.
>>

> I maybe got lucky. I was by the litterbox and Espy went in and
> squatted I grabbed an (hopefully) empty Fancy Feast container and put
> it under his butt just as he started peeing. I put it in the refrig
> and dropped it off at the vet next morning. Now all I have to do is
> hope that it wasn't too contaminated by the remains of Fancy Feast.
> Same goes for the urinalysis. If I get really strange results then I
> can ignore them and I'm just out the cash.
>
> Results should be in today.

Unfortunately, it'll be too old to tell much from. Cat urine starts
creating crystals within an hour, even refrigerated. They'll be able to
tell about white or red blood cells, but won't be able to make a
determination about the crystals.

Which sucks, because Meep always pees in the wee hours of the morning
(pun intended) she she always has to get the cysto needle.

jmc

dgk
August 5th 09, 01:05 PM
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:31:47 -0400, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (8/3/2009 8:25 AM):
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:36:18 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "dgk" > wrote

>>> No, he missed you! My little Gracie is sooo sweet when I come home from a
>>> few days away, would be doubly so if she were at the vet!

>>> haha! You don't have to, the vet will extract the urine.
>>>

>> I maybe got lucky. I was by the litterbox and Espy went in and
>> squatted I grabbed an (hopefully) empty Fancy Feast container and put
>> it under his butt just as he started peeing. I put it in the refrig
>> and dropped it off at the vet next morning. Now all I have to do is
>> hope that it wasn't too contaminated by the remains of Fancy Feast.
>> Same goes for the urinalysis. If I get really strange results then I
>> can ignore them and I'm just out the cash.
>>
>> Results should be in today.
>>

>Unfortunately, it'll be too old to tell much from. Cat urine starts
>creating crystals within an hour, even refrigerated. They'll be able to
>tell about white or red blood cells, but won't be able to make a
>determination about the crystals.
>
>Which sucks, because Meep always pees in the wee hours of the morning
>(pun intended) she she always has to get the cysto needle.
>
>jmc

Results from the urinalysis are in and there was nothing significant.
no Fancy Feast seen either. Big victory thus far. The culture isn't
back yet and I'm concerned over that - negative cultures should be
done in 48 hours or so.