PDA

View Full Version : cat needs to lose weight - calorie question


Kalmia
July 4th 09, 01:15 AM
Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

cybercat
July 4th 09, 02:51 AM
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
...
> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. No health problems, tho.
>

Don't know about calories, because my vet did not put it that way. My cat
was 18 lbs and needed to be about 9 lbs. She lost 9 pounds in a year by
switching to canned food 12 hours apart instead of free feeding "diet" Iams
dry. He basically said, "cut her food back by 1/4. When she plateaus, cut it
back again." She was also older, about 10-11.

Granby
July 4th 09, 03:26 AM
My fat, I mean fluffy boy O T probably should be a bit thinner but vet
hasn't said so....yet. Anyway when I had dogs, started by decreasing their
food about a quarter amount. Did this for three months then cut back
another quarter. Worked and they were satisfied as it didn't all disappear
at once. Just my 2 cants worth, don't see why it wouldn't work with the
cats.
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
>> attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
>> too.
>>
>> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
>> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
>> a/c on. No health problems, tho.
>>
>
> Don't know about calories, because my vet did not put it that way. My cat
> was 18 lbs and needed to be about 9 lbs. She lost 9 pounds in a year by
> switching to canned food 12 hours apart instead of free feeding "diet"
> Iams dry. He basically said, "cut her food back by 1/4. When she plateaus,
> cut it back again." She was also older, about 10-11.
>

Netmask
July 4th 09, 05:36 AM
Kalmia wrote:
> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. No health problems, tho.
>
> Thanks.
>
My Burmese boy Monki reached 23 years old and never weighed more than
5kgs - generally around 4kgs in Summer. Living in Sydney with 40+ degree
heat in Summer and high humidity the aircon was on, however i had a cat
door that worked ok. he was fed 100g of dry food in the morning and
about 250g of fresh meat in the evening. Longevity and health is weight
related as it is in humans. So cut the food intake and enjoy healthier
and many more years of company.

Sharon
July 4th 09, 10:51 AM
The feeding recommendations are usually on the can or bag. I think
that canned food would be better as it isn't filled with carbs. Cats
don't eat carbs in the wild. Carbs make them fat. Usually 1 6 oz.
can per day is the recommended feeding.

jmc
July 4th 09, 12:36 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (7/3/2009 8:15 PM):
> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. No health problems, tho.
>
> Thanks.
>

As others have said, for cats we don't talk about how many calories,
only how much food.

If you're free-feeding him dry, stop or slowly reduce the amount. Make
good quality canned food (grain-free if he's not a carbivore like my
cat) the basis of his diet.

As in people, fast weight loss isn't good. Gradual changes in diet, and
gradual weight loss.

Also, try to get him more active - a string or laser pointer is good to
start, you can try different toys to see what he likes - see if you can
get him to play about 15 minutes per day.

Good luck, your cat may not appreciate it but you're doing the right
thing. Stick to your guns and don't let him tell you he's starving to
death :)

jmc

Kalmia
July 4th 09, 01:41 PM
On Jul 4, 7:36*am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (7/3/2009 8:15 PM):
>
> > Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
> > attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
> > too.
>
> > He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
> > door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> > a/c on. *No health problems, tho.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> As others have said, for cats we don't talk about how many calories,
> only how much food.
>
> If you're free-feeding him dry, stop or slowly reduce the amount. *Make
> good quality canned food (grain-free if he's not a carbivore like my
> cat) the basis of his diet.
>
> As in people, fast weight loss isn't good. *Gradual changes in diet, and
> gradual weight loss.
>
> Also, try to get him more active - a string or laser pointer is good to
> start, you can try different toys to see what he likes - see if you can
> get him to play about 15 minutes per day.
>
> Good luck, your cat may not appreciate it but you're doing the right
> thing. *Stick to your guns and don't let him tell you he's starving to
> death :)
>
> jmc

I measured his food for a year - and still he gained 1/4 lb. I tried
the diet food - hated it and picked it out. (I'd mixed it with his
regular dry food). I've tried alternating wet and dry, giving wet
every third day.
Now he eats it as fast as he can. He had a recent physical, but no
trouble found. One other thing - he poops outside the box every once
in a while - esp. If I don't get up in time to scoop it to his
liking. I'm not about to get up in the night to clean a box.

cybercat
July 4th 09, 05:00 PM
"Kalmia" > wrote
> jmc

I measured his food for a year - and still he gained 1/4 lb. I tried
the diet food - hated it and picked it out. (I'd mixed it with his
regular dry food). I've tried alternating wet and dry, giving wet
every third day.
>Now he eats it as fast as he can. He had a recent physical, but no
>trouble found.

Feed him all canned. You'll be amazed at the change in him. Two portions 12
hours apart.


>One other thing - he poops outside the box every once
>in a while - esp. If I don't get up in time to scoop it to his
>liking. I'm not about to get up in the night to clean a box.

Come back and talk to us when you figure out who is in charge.

Kalmia
July 5th 09, 12:33 AM
Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening, but doled out in two
smaller portions. I may try to integrate some adult dry in with his
Iams regular dry.

We got out his toys and played a bit. He still loves 'mouse under the
pillow'.

Get on the floor with a wide, stiff leather belt and a small throw
pillow. Push the belt under the pilllow and out toward the cat. It
might look like a snake to him? You can move it fast, slow, from a
lot of angles - cat has no idea were it's coming from next and tries
to bat it. Why he can't figure out that it's ME pushing it....well,
he's a cat. (Maybe he DOES know.....)
He also love his 3 white feathers on a fishing pole.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Granby
July 5th 09, 01:03 AM
He KNOWS it is you, just doesn't want to spoil YOUR fun!
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
> can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening, but doled out in two
> smaller portions. I may try to integrate some adult dry in with his
> Iams regular dry.
>
> We got out his toys and played a bit. He still loves 'mouse under the
> pillow'.
>
> Get on the floor with a wide, stiff leather belt and a small throw
> pillow. Push the belt under the pilllow and out toward the cat. It
> might look like a snake to him? You can move it fast, slow, from a
> lot of angles - cat has no idea were it's coming from next and tries
> to bat it. Why he can't figure out that it's ME pushing it....well,
> he's a cat. (Maybe he DOES know.....)
> He also love his 3 white feathers on a fishing pole.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.

cybercat
July 5th 09, 04:23 AM
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
> can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening

Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
what do you care?

Phil P.
July 5th 09, 08:10 AM
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
...
> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.?

225-270 kcal/day. 15-18 kcal/lb/day. 15 kcal/lb/day is faster but 18
kcal/lb/day is safer.

Phil

Kalmia
July 5th 09, 02:47 PM
On Jul 4, 11:23*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> > Tonight starts his new regimen. *Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
> > can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening
>
> Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
> what do you care?

Aw, c'mon, - I bet I can find plenty of opinions on the all-wet diet
too. My vet had him on all-dry for years.

cybercat
July 5th 09, 09:21 PM
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
...
On Jul 4, 11:23 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> > Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
> > can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening
>
> Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
> what do you care?

>Aw, c'mon, - I bet I can find plenty of opinions on the all-wet diet
>too. My vet had him on all-dry for years.

Vets are selling cat food. Examine your reasons for feeding dry and you'll
see that they don't have a thing to do with your cat. You do it for
convenience and cost consideration.

You asked how to help your cat lose weight, and cutting out dry is the best
way to do that and improve his overall health. From the point of view of
someone who has done this more than once. You're a fool to feed your cat,
particularly your male cat, dry food. You'll be back in here telling us he
has a blockage at some point.

Netmask
July 6th 09, 05:50 AM
Kalmia wrote:
> On Jul 4, 11:23 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...
>>
>>
>>
>>> Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
>>> can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening
>> Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
>> what do you care?
>
> Aw, c'mon, - I bet I can find plenty of opinions on the all-wet diet
> too. My vet had him on all-dry for years.

Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
live on in the wild - fresh kill

Would you believe a study into lung cancer financed by tobacco
companies? Well vets in order to survive financially have to use and
recommend a whole lot of vaccines, additives and processed foods - they
get free samples etc.. try asking the question 'do you or can you get
mercury free vaccines?' I bet they will shuffle their feet, possibly say
never heard of it or say it's too expensive. Dry food is made of crap -
another way we get rid of waste products, just like the fast food
industry. next step Soylent Green!!!

Rene S
July 6th 09, 02:26 PM
> Vets are selling cat food. Examine your reasons for feeding dry and you'll
> see that they don't have a thing to do with your cat. You do it for
> convenience and cost consideration.
>
> You asked how to help your cat lose weight, and cutting out dry is the best
> way to do that and improve his overall health. From the point of view of
> someone who has done this more than once.

cybercat is right. I went through what you did, buying prescription
food and carefullyl measuring it out. My cat was miserable and so was
I having to listen to his constant crying for food. Since I've
switched to a grain free canned food (I use Wellness, there are other
brands too), everyone has been much happier. See his web site for
information: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

FWIW, my Tucker is 11 and maintains his weight (14 lb. 1o oz) on one
can of Wellness per day. This is what works for him, each cat is
different, but just to give you an idea.

jmc
July 7th 09, 01:44 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (7/4/2009 11:23 PM):
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>> Tonight starts his new regimen. Half a cup dry in the morning. Half a
>> can (not that itty bitty size) in the evening
>
> Dry food is really bad for your cat, particularly since he is a male. But
> what do you care?
>
>

I would have said it different, but cybercat has a point. I made the
same mistake, fed my cat all dry (though good quality) for her first 7
years. At that point she developed cystitis and my vet at that time
told me it can be caused, or exacerbated, by dry food. Cystitis in a
male cat is a very serious problem, and can kill very quickly.

That said, I can't seem to get Meep entirely off of dry food. It's
become a balancing act between a good diet and a good weight - when I
had her on all wet she got at least two pounds underweight. I've had to
put dry food - Royal Canin veterinary urinary - back into her diet in
order to get some weight back ON her.

So, I don't think what you're doing is horrible, but I think you should
try to wean him off the wet food completely, if you can. Half dry is
better than all dry.

jmc

jmc
July 7th 09, 01:47 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):
>
> Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
> live on in the wild - fresh kill
>

Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.

Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out of
a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she refuses
it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna). Phooey. :)

jmc

Netmask
July 7th 09, 06:46 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):
>>
>> Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
>> live on in the wild - fresh kill
>>
>
> Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.
>
> Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out of
> a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she refuses
> it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna). Phooey. :)
>
> jmc


well in the real world unless one lives in antartica there are butcher
and fish monger shops, deli's etc as most of the world are meat eaters.
The secret is to mix a bit of the tinned poison with fresh meat slowly
changing the balance.

Granby
July 7th 09, 04:41 PM
I think this has to be done at a very early age. Know several who have
tried changing to raw food and in the 4 cases, none has worked. Not sure
with chicken and some beef I would even want to do that these days. Aw
well, to each their own.
"Netmask" > wrote in message
...
> jmc wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):
>>>
>>> Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
>>> live on in the wild - fresh kill
>>>
>>
>> Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.
>>
>> Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out of
>> a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she refuses
>> it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna). Phooey. :)
>>
>> jmc
>
>
> well in the real world unless one lives in antartica there are butcher and
> fish monger shops, deli's etc as most of the world are meat eaters. The
> secret is to mix a bit of the tinned poison with fresh meat slowly
> changing the balance.

jmc
July 7th 09, 11:38 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/7/2009 1:46 AM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):
>>>
>>> Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
>>> live on in the wild - fresh kill
>>>
>>
>> Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.
>>
>> Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out
>> of a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she
>> refuses it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna).
>> Phooey. :)
>>
>> jmc
>
>
> well in the real world unless one lives in antartica there are butcher
> and fish monger shops, deli's etc as most of the world are meat eaters.
> The secret is to mix a bit of the tinned poison with fresh meat slowly
> changing the balance.

You don't think I've tried that. My cat is a dedicated and very very
stubborn carbivore. We've been fighting this battle for over 5 years
now. I've tried every trick I've gleaned from here, from the internet,
and from vets in three different countries. She simply won't eat
anything that 1) doesn't have carbs and/or 2) came directly from a
4-legged critter. Well, except for parmesan cheese :)

jmc

July 8th 09, 08:50 AM
On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. *No health problems, tho.
>
> Thanks.



When I got my first Ragdoll, he was food crazy. He had been outside
begging for food before he was turned into a shelter, so he ate every
meal like it would be his last. And this was the first time I had to
stop free feeding. He was also, young and still growing, so some of
his weight gain was natural, and some of it was eating too much. He
got up to 20 lbs.

Then, because he had the stinkiest poop, I changed his food to Royal
Canin Maine Coon food. I chose Royal Canin because their senior food
had really helped my elderly cat. And I figured my jumbo Ragdoll could
use a food that was designed for a larger cat.

By accident, I discovered the way to get a cat to lose weight. Larger
kibbles. When I had served teh regular food, Jay Jay inhaled the food.
But when I served the larger kibbles, he had to slow down and actually
crunch it a bit. It took the same amount of time to feel satisfied,
but he was actually eating less. And he was able to walk away from a
bowl that had food in it.

I was able to go back to free feeding, and he lost 4 lbs on his own.
For the past 3 years, his weight has been 16 lbs and 1-2 oz every time
I weigh him. And that is with kibble available 24/7 and canned food
once a day.

Kalmia
July 8th 09, 09:56 PM
On Jul 8, 3:50*am, "
> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
> > attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
> > too.
>
> > He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
> > door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> > a/c on. *No health problems, tho.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> When I got my first Ragdoll, he was food crazy. He had been outside
> begging for food before he was turned into a shelter, so he ate every
> meal like it would be his last. And this was the first time I had to
> stop free feeding. He was also, young and still growing, so some of
> his weight gain was natural, and some of it was eating too much. He
> got up to 20 lbs.
>
> Then, because he had the stinkiest poop, I changed his food to Royal
> Canin Maine Coon food. I chose Royal Canin because their senior food
> had really helped my elderly cat. And I figured my jumbo Ragdoll could
> use a food that was designed for a larger cat.
>
> By accident, I discovered the way to get a cat to lose weight. Larger
> kibbles. When I had served teh regular food, Jay Jay inhaled the food.
> But when I served the larger kibbles, he had to slow down and actually
> crunch it a bit. It took the same amount of time to feel satisfied,
> but he was actually eating less. And he was able to walk away from a
> bowl that had food in it.
>
> I was able to go back to free feeding, and he lost 4 lbs on his own.
> For the past 3 years, his weight has been 16 lbs and 1-2 oz every time
> I weigh him. And that is with kibble available 24/7 and canned food
> once a day.

What brand are you feeding him which comes in large kibble size?

cybercat
July 8th 09, 10:20 PM
"Kalmia" > wrote

>What brand are you feeding him which comes in large kibble size?

What do you care? It will certainly cost more than the crap you buy at
WalMart.

July 9th 09, 12:33 AM
On Jul 8, 1:56*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Jul 8, 3:50*am, "
>
>
>
> > wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 5:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > > Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
> > > attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
> > > too.
>
> > > He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
> > > door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> > > a/c on. *No health problems, tho.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > When I got my first Ragdoll, he was food crazy. He had been outside
> > begging for food before he was turned into a shelter, so he ate every
> > meal like it would be his last. And this was the first time I had to
> > stop free feeding. He was also, young and still growing, so some of
> > his weight gain was natural, and some of it was eating too much. He
> > got up to 20 lbs.
>
> > Then, because he had the stinkiest poop, I changed his food to Royal
> > Canin Maine Coon food. I chose Royal Canin because their senior food
> > had really helped my elderly cat. And I figured my jumbo Ragdoll could
> > use a food that was designed for a larger cat.
>
> > By accident, I discovered the way to get a cat to lose weight. Larger
> > kibbles. When I had served teh regular food, Jay Jay inhaled the food.
> > But when I served the larger kibbles, he had to slow down and actually
> > crunch it a bit. It took the same amount of time to feel satisfied,
> > but he was actually eating less. And he was able to walk away from a
> > bowl that had food in it.
>
> > I was able to go back to free feeding, and he lost 4 lbs on his own.
> > For the past 3 years, his weight has been 16 lbs and 1-2 oz every time
> > I weigh him. And that is with kibble available 24/7 and canned food
> > once a day.
>
> What brand are you feeding him which comes in large kibble size?

Royal Canin Maine Coon version.

It's fine for every breed. Just has larger kibbles for larger breed,
and glucosamine for joint health.

Jay Jay loves it so much that he ignores the other varieties that I
serve. I do serve only Royal Canin brand as Jay Jay gets stinky poop
with other food, and he does occasionally dip into the other bowls. I
don't want him to be tempted by anything that will mess up his more
sensitive system.

I recently adopted two more ragdolls, and one of them refused to
switch from her previous food (Iams, which I hate). I ended up feeling
all the bags of Royal Canin to find one with the smallest kibble size
since I figured that was why she liked the Iams so much. And it
worked. She finally started chowing on something other than the Iams.
So, I actually have side-by-side bowls of large kibble and small
kibble, and they each eat their own.

Royal Canin does have a program where yo buy 10 bags and get a free
bag. So, if this interests you, save your receipts and your upc codes.
You can get a signup sheet on their webpage.

Netmask
July 10th 09, 01:34 AM
Kalmia wrote:
> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. No health problems, tho.
>
> Thanks.
>


Check this out on longevity and weight from The Scientific American - it
makes sobering reading.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=fewer-calories--longer-life-a-new-p-2009-07-09


except
A 20-year-long rhesus monkey study, released today in Science, found
that monkeys that consumed 30 percent less calories than average peers
were one third as likely to get a age-related disease and were likely to
live longer.

Stan Brown
July 10th 09, 12:16 PM
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:34:19 GMT from Netmask >:

> Check this out on longevity and weight from The Scientific American - it
> makes sobering reading.
>
> http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=fewer-calories--longer-life-a-new-p-2009-07-09
>
> excerpt
> A 20-year-long rhesus monkey study, released today in Science, found
> that monkeys that consumed 30 percent less calories than average peers
> were one third as likely to get a age-related disease and were likely to
> live longer.

I'd say this is more directly relevant to humans than to cats, but
even so it is indeed sobering. The brief article also mentions that
brain functioning was significantly better in aged individuals who
ate less.

I think immediately of the image of the "spry" old man or woman who
is rail-thin yet agile and mentally sharp.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Kalmia
July 12th 09, 02:52 PM
On Jul 3, 8:15*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. *No health problems, tho.
>
> Thanks.

Update : The diet isn't working too well. 1/2 dry , 1/2 wet and
there's a mess to clean each morning, outside box - not quite diarrhea
butttttt..........close. I might be going away and don't expect the
catsitter to have to deal with this, I'll set up two boxes and put
him back on dry until I return. Then will introduce the canned food
at a more gradual pace.
I'll also try giving wet in the morning and dry at night. I was
feeding the reverse.

cybercat
July 12th 09, 05:39 PM
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
...
On Jul 3, 8:15 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Cat is 18 lb. Should be 15. How many calories a day does he need to
> attain and maintain 15 lb.? I think he needs to be on senior food
> too.
>
> He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. Won't go outside unless
> door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
> a/c on. No health problems, tho.
>
> Thanks.

Update : The diet isn't working too well. 1/2 dry , 1/2 wet and
there's a mess to clean each morning, outside box - not quite diarrhea
butttttt..........close. I might be going away and don't expect the
catsitter to have to deal with this, I'll set up two boxes and put
him back on dry until I return. Then will introduce the canned food
at a more gradual pace.
I'll also try giving wet in the morning and dry at night. I was
feeding the reverse.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The dry and wet food you are feeding your cat are both crap. How do I know
this? You tell me. Take your cat to the vet. There is a problem.

Rene S
July 13th 09, 04:41 PM
> Update : The diet isn't working too well. *1/2 dry , 1/2 wet and
> there's a mess to clean each morning, outside box - not quite diarrhea
> butttttt..........close. *I might be going away and don't expect the
> catsitter to have to deal with this, * I'll set up two boxes and put
> him back on dry until I return. *Then will introduce the canned food
> at a more gradual pace.
> I'll also try giving wet in the morning and dry at night. *I was
> feeding the reverse.

What brands are you feeding? I read through the posts and did not see
a mention of brands. He should be eating a grain-free wet if at all
possible. If it's a high-quality diet there should not be any stool
problems. I didn't have any when I transferred mine to wet food.