PDA

View Full Version : Confusing (likely bad) new info on Espy


dgk
July 8th 09, 01:53 PM
Espy went to the litterbox three times in five minutes last night and
appeared to be trying to poop but only a drop of liquid was in the
litter. Since his bladder was plugged up last week, it was right off
to the Specialty Vet. I gave them the whole story of last week's
action, including the abnormal liver enzymes.

The examination results were surprising. He did not currently have any
urinary issues - bladder seemed normal and no irritation that would
indicate a blockage. The reason for the litterbox performance is
unknown. However, he has a heart murmur. I don't know why my vet
didn't notice this, but neither did the emergency vet I took him to
last week.

The speciality vet also didn't think it too likely that eating
something bad would have caused the liver enzymes to be abnormal - so
what is causing that? Possibly heart problems if blood flow is
impaired.

Well, now I have more things to worry about. My vet will get the
results from the Speciality Vet and we'll figure out what to do next.
I think a chest X-Ray is in Espy's immediate future.

cybercat
July 9th 09, 08:09 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
...
> Espy went to the litterbox three times in five minutes last night and
> appeared to be trying to poop but only a drop of liquid was in the
> litter. Since his bladder was plugged up last week, it was right off
> to the Specialty Vet. I gave them the whole story of last week's
> action, including the abnormal liver enzymes.
>
> The examination results were surprising. He did not currently have any
> urinary issues - bladder seemed normal and no irritation that would
> indicate a blockage. The reason for the litterbox performance is
> unknown. However, he has a heart murmur. I don't know why my vet
> didn't notice this, but neither did the emergency vet I took him to
> last week.
>
> The speciality vet also didn't think it too likely that eating
> something bad would have caused the liver enzymes to be abnormal - so
> what is causing that? Possibly heart problems if blood flow is
> impaired.
>
> Well, now I have more things to worry about. My vet will get the
> results from the Speciality Vet and we'll figure out what to do next.
> I think a chest X-Ray is in Espy's immediate future.

Worrisome. I was hoping he was "out of the woods." Please let us know how it
goes.

dgk
July 9th 09, 01:38 PM
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 03:09:24 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>
>"dgk" > wrote in message
...
>> Espy went to the litterbox three times in five minutes last night and
>> appeared to be trying to poop but only a drop of liquid was in the
>> litter. Since his bladder was plugged up last week, it was right off
>> to the Specialty Vet. I gave them the whole story of last week's
>> action, including the abnormal liver enzymes.
>>
>> The examination results were surprising. He did not currently have any
>> urinary issues - bladder seemed normal and no irritation that would
>> indicate a blockage. The reason for the litterbox performance is
>> unknown. However, he has a heart murmur. I don't know why my vet
>> didn't notice this, but neither did the emergency vet I took him to
>> last week.
>>
>> The speciality vet also didn't think it too likely that eating
>> something bad would have caused the liver enzymes to be abnormal - so
>> what is causing that? Possibly heart problems if blood flow is
>> impaired.
>>
>> Well, now I have more things to worry about. My vet will get the
>> results from the Speciality Vet and we'll figure out what to do next.
>> I think a chest X-Ray is in Espy's immediate future.
>
>Worrisome. I was hoping he was "out of the woods." Please let us know how it
>goes.
>

My vet says Espy doesn't have a heart murmur and that Espy was likely
just upset and it was transient. That sounds reasonable since neither
he nor the emergency vet Espy saw two weeks ago noted a murmur. But I
would think a vet at a specialty practice would also know about a
transient murmur. Ah well, it's good news I guess. In a week or two we
take another look at the liver enzymes and see where we go from there.

Last night Espy ate a (relatively) lot of food. This morning not so
much until I broke out the Fancy Feast Elegant Medley. I think I'm
being trained to skip the healthy stuff and just go for junk food. I
bought some Fancy Feast dry stuff that was on sale to have for some of
the outdoor cats and he's willing to eat that as well but not too much
of his Royal Canin #32.

He did attack the Temptations with his prior enthusiasm over the last
two days. Mostly he seems fine but I need to keep an eye on the
litterbox habits. I got the camera and need to set it up tonight so I
can use the motion detection software to see if he's going.

I'm going away in two weeks so things really need to settle down.

cybercat
July 9th 09, 08:02 PM
"dgk" > wrote
>>
>
> My vet says Espy doesn't have a heart murmur and that Espy was likely
> just upset and it was transient. That sounds reasonable since neither
> he nor the emergency vet Espy saw two weeks ago noted a murmur. But I
> would think a vet at a specialty practice would also know about a
> transient murmur.

This actually happened to me a while back. One doctor said I had a murmur
(mitral valve regurgitation) then another said I didn't. A third said it may
be due to instruments (stethoscopes) that are of varying sensitivity. In any
case, a murmur should not be a big deal.


Ah well, it's good news I guess. In a week or two we
> take another look at the liver enzymes and see where we go from there.
>
> Last night Espy ate a (relatively) lot of food. This morning not so
> much until I broke out the Fancy Feast Elegant Medley. I think I'm
> being trained to skip the healthy stuff and just go for junk food.

We love them so we are concerned that they eat the best quality, but the
main thing is that they eat. Their little lives tend to be short anyway, why
not give them what they want, as long as it is canned.

>
> I'm going away in two weeks so things really need to settle down.

What do you do with your cats when you go away? We have a young lady across
the street who cares for ours.

dgk
July 10th 09, 02:58 PM
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:02:17 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>
>"dgk" > wrote
>>>
>>
>> My vet says Espy doesn't have a heart murmur and that Espy was likely
>> just upset and it was transient. That sounds reasonable since neither
>> he nor the emergency vet Espy saw two weeks ago noted a murmur. But I
>> would think a vet at a specialty practice would also know about a
>> transient murmur.
>
>This actually happened to me a while back. One doctor said I had a murmur
>(mitral valve regurgitation) then another said I didn't. A third said it may
>be due to instruments (stethoscopes) that are of varying sensitivity. In any
>case, a murmur should not be a big deal.
>
>
>Ah well, it's good news I guess. In a week or two we
>> take another look at the liver enzymes and see where we go from there.
>>
>> Last night Espy ate a (relatively) lot of food. This morning not so
>> much until I broke out the Fancy Feast Elegant Medley. I think I'm
>> being trained to skip the healthy stuff and just go for junk food.
>
>We love them so we are concerned that they eat the best quality, but the
>main thing is that they eat. Their little lives tend to be short anyway, why
>not give them what they want, as long as it is canned.
>
>>
>> I'm going away in two weeks so things really need to settle down.
>
>What do you do with your cats when you go away? We have a young lady across
>the street who cares for ours.
>

Unfortunately everyone I really trust to take care of the cats is
going with me since it's a family get together in Chicago. When this
happens I hire a lady who comes over and feeds and supposedly sits
with them. She's sort of ditzy but gets the job done. If Espy needs
any real special type of care though I'm probably going to book him a
stay at the Vet. He'll hate it but I won't worry about him. Looks
unlikely though.

Actually, I doubt if the lady ever really sees Nipsy and Marlo since
they're scardy cats.

I do have the litter-cam up and running - I'll deal with that in a
separate post for Billy. I saw Espy poop on a captured video from
last night.

cybercat
July 10th 09, 07:37 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> If Espy needs
> any real special type of care though I'm probably going to book him a
> stay at the Vet. He'll hate it but I won't worry about him.

Sounds like a good plan!


..
>
> Actually, I doubt if the lady ever really sees Nipsy and Marlo since
> they're scardy cats.

Same with the lady across the street who cares for my cats when I am gone.
They both hide. (Man, I keep forgetting Boo is gone and I only have one
now.)

>
> I do have the litter-cam up and running - I'll deal with that in a
> separate post for Billy. I saw Espy poop on a captured video from
> last night.

The poop cam. :) You boys just kill me. I once knew a guy who hated
squirrells so he set up a homemade electric shock system. :)

jmc
July 11th 09, 12:25 AM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (7/9/2009 8:38 AM):
> On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 03:09:24 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> Espy went to the litterbox three times in five minutes last night and
>>> appeared to be trying to poop but only a drop of liquid was in the
>>> litter. Since his bladder was plugged up last week, it was right off
>>> to the Specialty Vet. I gave them the whole story of last week's
>>> action, including the abnormal liver enzymes.
>>>
>>> The examination results were surprising. He did not currently have any
>>> urinary issues - bladder seemed normal and no irritation that would
>>> indicate a blockage. The reason for the litterbox performance is
>>> unknown. However, he has a heart murmur. I don't know why my vet
>>> didn't notice this, but neither did the emergency vet I took him to
>>> last week.
>>>
>>> The speciality vet also didn't think it too likely that eating
>>> something bad would have caused the liver enzymes to be abnormal - so
>>> what is causing that? Possibly heart problems if blood flow is
>>> impaired.
>>>
>>> Well, now I have more things to worry about. My vet will get the
>>> results from the Speciality Vet and we'll figure out what to do next.
>>> I think a chest X-Ray is in Espy's immediate future.
>> Worrisome. I was hoping he was "out of the woods." Please let us know how it
>> goes.
>>
>
> My vet says Espy doesn't have a heart murmur and that Espy was likely
> just upset and it was transient. That sounds reasonable since neither
> he nor the emergency vet Espy saw two weeks ago noted a murmur. But I
> would think a vet at a specialty practice would also know about a
> transient murmur. Ah well, it's good news I guess. In a week or two we
> take another look at the liver enzymes and see where we go from there.
>
> Last night Espy ate a (relatively) lot of food. This morning not so
> much until I broke out the Fancy Feast Elegant Medley. I think I'm
> being trained to skip the healthy stuff and just go for junk food. I
> bought some Fancy Feast dry stuff that was on sale to have for some of
> the outdoor cats and he's willing to eat that as well but not too much
> of his Royal Canin #32.
>
> He did attack the Temptations with his prior enthusiasm over the last
> two days. Mostly he seems fine but I need to keep an eye on the
> litterbox habits. I got the camera and need to set it up tonight so I
> can use the motion detection software to see if he's going.
>
> I'm going away in two weeks so things really need to settle down.


Meep had an intermittent murmur for years - same vet, sometimes it was
there, sometimes it wasn't. One vet did an ultrasound and said she had
a bit of cardiomyopathy. Great.

Over time, the murmur went from transient to every time.

Fast forward a few years, took her to a specialist animal cardiologist
and lo and behold - no cardiomyopathy! I can't remember the name, some
weird fibrous band along the chamber wall looked like the wall was
thickened to less of a specialist. Does have a murmur, but apparently
it's no big deal.

Was there some reason simple constipation wasn't mentioned for the
litterbox performance? Meep gets constipated when she's stressed.
Laxatone and ... darn, that other oily stuff that starts with an L is
what Meep gets, for a while she was getting a bit of benefiber mixed
into her food but I'm not sure that was doing anything.

You'll find lots of advice hereabouts for dealing with constipation.
Pumpkin, I believe, is often suggested, though I've never tried it on
Meep the FussyCat :)

jmc