PDA

View Full Version : Billy - TrendNet cam is up!


dgk
July 10th 09, 03:07 PM
I tried it out last night and it's working fine. The only tricky part
was that the default address of the camera is 192.168.0.20, and my
subnet is not 0. The nice people in India told me to temporarily
change the subnet on my computer to 0 and it was then able to talk to
the camera. Everything is back to normal and the camera is on the
correct subnet.

Motion detection worked fine but it captured several 8 minute videos
between 5 and 6 AM when no one was in the litterbox. I think it was
because of daylight coming up. I had to leave a bright light on in the
bathroom or the cam doesn't see anything but daylight still seems to
have had an impact.

I turned down the sensitivity a notch. Now I need to rig a light that
will shine on the litterbox without disturbing the whole house at
night. And I need to wall or ceiling mount the cam.

Thanks for the pointers; I'll feel much better if I can see that Espy
is peeing and pooping. One of the videos last night had Espy pooping.
Marlo peed twice. Nipsy apparently held it all in.

Billy
July 10th 09, 03:15 PM
If I recall correctly, you connect up the cam on that address but then
you change the cam address to .1 instead of .0 and then you change the
subnet back on your LAN to it's default. That would be a better practice
- change the device, not your LAN. The config page would be accessible
using http://192.168.0.20 as your camera is configured now to go in and
change the settings of it.


dgk > wrote:
> I tried it out last night and it's working fine. The only tricky part
> was that the default address of the camera is 192.168.0.20, and my
> subnet is not 0. The nice people in India told me to temporarily
> change the subnet on my computer to 0 and it was then able to talk to
> the camera. Everything is back to normal and the camera is on the
> correct subnet.
>
> Motion detection worked fine but it captured several 8 minute videos
> between 5 and 6 AM when no one was in the litterbox. I think it was
> because of daylight coming up. I had to leave a bright light on in the
> bathroom or the cam doesn't see anything but daylight still seems to
> have had an impact.
>
> I turned down the sensitivity a notch. Now I need to rig a light that
> will shine on the litterbox without disturbing the whole house at
> night. And I need to wall or ceiling mount the cam.
>
> Thanks for the pointers; I'll feel much better if I can see that Espy
> is peeing and pooping. One of the videos last night had Espy pooping.
> Marlo peed twice. Nipsy apparently held it all in.

Billy
July 10th 09, 03:15 PM
Glad to see you got it working, I love my TV-IP400W but I wired it to
reduce the LAN bottleneck speed.

I've read your past posts and I can tell you that they mis-diagnosed my
living cat (had two, one just passed) with the murmur thing once then
the same vet did not hear it on future visits. I can tell you that they
said I would likely see panting and lethargy if it became serious.

I'm a bit confused, Epsy is eating, peeing, pooping so is there still a
problem?


dgk > wrote:
> I tried it out last night and it's working fine. The only tricky part
> was that the default address of the camera is 192.168.0.20, and my
> subnet is not 0. The nice people in India told me to temporarily
> change the subnet on my computer to 0 and it was then able to talk to
> the camera. Everything is back to normal and the camera is on the
> correct subnet.
>
> Motion detection worked fine but it captured several 8 minute videos
> between 5 and 6 AM when no one was in the litterbox. I think it was
> because of daylight coming up. I had to leave a bright light on in the
> bathroom or the cam doesn't see anything but daylight still seems to
> have had an impact.
>
> I turned down the sensitivity a notch. Now I need to rig a light that
> will shine on the litterbox without disturbing the whole house at
> night. And I need to wall or ceiling mount the cam.
>
> Thanks for the pointers; I'll feel much better if I can see that Espy
> is peeing and pooping. One of the videos last night had Espy pooping.
> Marlo peed twice. Nipsy apparently held it all in.

dgk
July 10th 09, 06:43 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:15:50 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
wrote:

>Glad to see you got it working, I love my TV-IP400W but I wired it to
>reduce the LAN bottleneck speed.
>
>I've read your past posts and I can tell you that they mis-diagnosed my
>living cat (had two, one just passed) with the murmur thing once then
>the same vet did not hear it on future visits. I can tell you that they
>said I would likely see panting and lethargy if it became serious.
>
>I'm a bit confused, Epsy is eating, peeing, pooping so is there still a
>problem?
>
>

Oh, I didn't leave the PC on the 0 subnet, I did change the camera and
then changed the PC back. I actually use 12 instead of 0 or 1. I just
figured that I should be different.

While Epsy is currently sort of eating, definitely pooping, and likely
peeing, I'm in a panic that he will get blocked again when I'm away on
vacation. My plan is to monitor the motion detection videos daily and
call her if I don't see Espy successfully pee.

Hmm, another problem. I just checked the videos (via remote desktop)
and the motion detector is definitely reacting to the sun. A sunbeam
is making its way across the litter and the camera thinks it's a cat.

I'll have to knock down the sensitivity another notch and maybe find
some curtain to block the sunlight. But of course Epsy likes jumping
onto the bathroom window sill - argh.

ensoul[_2_]
July 15th 09, 09:37 AM
On Jul 10, 1:43*pm, dgk > wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:15:50 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
> wrote:
>
> >Glad to see you got it working, I love my TV-IP400W but I wired it to
> >reduce the LAN bottleneck speed.
>
> >I've read your past posts and I can tell you that they mis-diagnosed my
> >living cat (had two, one just passed) with the murmur thing once then
> >the same vet did not hear it on future visits. I can tell you that they
> >said I would likely see panting and lethargy if it became serious.
>
> >I'm a bit confused, Epsy is eating, peeing, pooping so is there still a
> >problem?
>
> Oh, I didn't leave the PC on the 0 subnet, I did change the camera and
> then changed the PC back. I actually use 12 instead of 0 or 1. I just
> figured that I should be different.
>
> While Epsy is currently sort of eating, definitely pooping, and likely
> peeing, I'm in a panic that he will get blocked again when I'm away on
> vacation. My plan is to monitor the motion detection videos daily and
> call her if I don't see Espy successfully pee.
>
> Hmm, another problem. I just checked the videos (via remote desktop)
> and the motion detector is definitely reacting to the sun. A sunbeam
> is making its way across the litter and the camera thinks it's a cat.
>
> I'll have to knock down the sensitivity another notch and maybe find
> some curtain to block the sunlight. But of course Epsy likes jumping
> onto the bathroom window sill - argh.

How much does a motion dection camera cost? I despartely need one
having meds & money stolen from me

Lynn

dgk
July 15th 09, 01:39 PM
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 01:37:04 -0700 (PDT), ensoul
> wrote:

>On Jul 10, 1:43*pm, dgk > wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:15:50 +0000 (UTC), Billy >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Glad to see you got it working, I love my TV-IP400W but I wired it to
>> >reduce the LAN bottleneck speed.
>>
>> >I've read your past posts and I can tell you that they mis-diagnosed my
>> >living cat (had two, one just passed) with the murmur thing once then
>> >the same vet did not hear it on future visits. I can tell you that they
>> >said I would likely see panting and lethargy if it became serious.
>>
>> >I'm a bit confused, Epsy is eating, peeing, pooping so is there still a
>> >problem?
>>
>> Oh, I didn't leave the PC on the 0 subnet, I did change the camera and
>> then changed the PC back. I actually use 12 instead of 0 or 1. I just
>> figured that I should be different.
>>
>> While Epsy is currently sort of eating, definitely pooping, and likely
>> peeing, I'm in a panic that he will get blocked again when I'm away on
>> vacation. My plan is to monitor the motion detection videos daily and
>> call her if I don't see Espy successfully pee.
>>
>> Hmm, another problem. I just checked the videos (via remote desktop)
>> and the motion detector is definitely reacting to the sun. A sunbeam
>> is making its way across the litter and the camera thinks it's a cat.
>>
>> I'll have to knock down the sensitivity another notch and maybe find
>> some curtain to block the sunlight. But of course Epsy likes jumping
>> onto the bathroom window sill - argh.
>
>How much does a motion dection camera cost? I despartely need one
>having meds & money stolen from me
>
>Lynn

I think it was around $180. You can view it over the internet, but in
order to do the motion detection you use the software on a PC. It
really isn't very difficult to set up and the phone support people are
good. I bought this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830137007