PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any suggestions?

\jordy\
July 12th 09, 06:23 PM
Hi. my mom has a cat named Rosie,and about once a month we bring
the cat into the bathroom, in order to trim her claws... the problem
is that Rosie doesn't paticularly enjoy this, to put it mildly... Is
there anything that can be done to have this activity be more
comfortable for Rosie? my mom feels that she needs to cut her claws,
because the longer the claws are, the more they get stuck in various
things and cause various problems etc... this has also harmed my
relationship with my Rosie... We used to be very close and spend time
together... now, Rosie usually avoids me because she associates me
with her getting her claws cut...

any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...

cybercat
July 12th 09, 06:32 PM
""jordy"" > wrote in message

> Hi. my mom has a cat named Rosie,and about once a month we bring
> the cat into the bathroom, in order to trim her claws... the problem
> is that Rosie doesn't paticularly enjoy this, to put it mildly... Is
> there anything that can be done to have this activity be more
> comfortable for Rosie? my mom feels that she needs to cut her claws,
> because the longer the claws are, the more they get stuck in various
> things and cause various problems etc... this has also harmed my
> relationship with my Rosie... We used to be very close and spend time
> together... now, Rosie usually avoids me because she associates me
> with her getting her claws cut...
>
> any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...

Aww. I know how you feel, it is hard to do stuff they don't like. I think
your mom is right, we trim our cat's claws. How old is Rosie? You may be
able to sweeten the deal with some treats, given after clipping. My Gracie
loves being brushed, so I incorporate that.

---MIKE---
July 12th 09, 07:52 PM
I never clip my cats claws. Amber tends to catch on things at times but
it's not too bad. Tiger likes his claws sharp so he can climb the 5
foot scratching post to the platform on top. When he was at the vet for
a rabies shot and butt trim, I asked them to not clip his claws. They
both shed the claw sheaths frequently (and I save them in a jar).

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Calvin
July 12th 09, 08:34 PM
On Jul 12, 2:52*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> I never clip my cats claws. *Amber tends to catch on things at times but
> it's not too bad. *Tiger likes his claws sharp so he can climb the 5
> foot scratching post to the platform on top. *When he was at the vet for
> a rabies shot and butt trim, I asked them to not clip his claws. *They
> both shed the claw sheaths frequently (and I save them in a jar).

I've never clipped my many cats' claws, and have never had any
problems from not doing it. Sharp claws are part of what it means
to be a cat. Please consider putting an end to this practice.

cybercat
July 12th 09, 11:00 PM
"hopitus" > wrote

>.Rosie still loves you.

I would like to add that I think this is among the cutest cat names ever. :)

July 13th 09, 04:42 AM
> * *any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...

Try approaching her when she is taking a nap, and right there, do one
paw. And quit. Give her some of her favorite treats. Later, during
another nap, do another paw.

The idea is that she is relaxed and tired, and by the time she becomes
fully alert, you can have that paw done, and it was no big deal.
Eventually, it just isn't a big deal.

Most of our cats have always been good about it. We do have one that
is difficult, but that is because she doesn't like being held for any
reason. So, I started with the one paw at a time, and I let her stay
on the couch or cat tree so that I am not holding her, just the paw. I
can now do 2 paws at a time without any problem.

Also, I usually do nails every 2-3 weeks. I know when they need them
because somebody will give me accidental acupuncture when they are
kneading, or they will poke me when they jump off my lap.

Rene S
July 13th 09, 04:38 PM
On Jul 12, 10:42*pm, "
> wrote:
> > * *any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...
>
> Try approaching her when she is taking a nap, and right there, do one
> paw. And quit. Give her some of her favorite treats. Later, during
> another nap, do another paw.
>
> The idea is that she is relaxed and tired, and by the time she becomes
> fully alert, you can have that paw done, and it was no big deal.
> Eventually, it just isn't a big deal.

This is good advice. I would also not take her into the bathroom. She
might not like the confined space.

\jordy\
July 13th 09, 08:32 PM
On Jul 12, 6:00*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "hopitus" > wrote
>
> >.Rosie still loves you.
>
> I would like to add that I think this is among the cutest cat names ever. :)

yeah, it is a pretty name... thanks for the suggestions everyone!

jweeks
July 13th 09, 10:23 PM
On Jul 12, 1:23*pm, "\"jordy\"" > wrote:
> * * Hi. my mom has a cat named Rosie,and about once a month we bring
> the cat into the bathroom, in order to trim her claws... the problem
> is that Rosie doesn't paticularly enjoy this, to put it mildly... Is
> there anything that can be done to have this activity be more
> comfortable for Rosie? my mom feels that she needs to cut her claws,
> because the longer the claws are, the more they get stuck in various
> things and cause various problems etc... this has also harmed my
> relationship with my Rosie... We used to be very close and spend time
> together... now, Rosie usually avoids me because she associates me
> with her getting her claws cut...
>
> * *any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...

My guy gets a tiny trim every 3-4 weeks, as he's an indoor kitty.
What makes it so much better is if YOU and YOUR MOM don't feel anxiety
when you go to hold him...if you already feel like your cat will
struggle...or feel anxiety, then it's projected onto your kitty..So
he's already feeling the stress before it happens...and that makes it
so much worse. Try to approach him like it's no big deal...pet him,
speak softly, etc....Hope it helps, Jenny :)

Netmask
July 14th 09, 06:26 AM
hopitus wrote:
> On Jul 12, 11:32 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> ""jordy"" > wrote in message

>>> Hi. my mom has a cat named Rosie,and about once a month we bring
>>> the cat into the bathroom, in order to trim her claws... the problem
>>> is that Rosie doesn't paticularly enjoy this, to put it mildly... Is
>>> there anything that can be done to have this activity be more
>>> comfortable for Rosie? my mom feels that she needs to cut her claws,
>>> because the longer the claws are, the more they get stuck in various
>>> things and cause various problems etc... this has also harmed my
>>> relationship with my Rosie... We used to be very close and spend time
>>> together... now, Rosie usually avoids me because she associates me
>>> with her getting her claws cut...
>>> any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...
>> Aww. I know how you feel, it is hard to do stuff they don't like. I think
>> your mom is right, we trim our cat's claws. How old is Rosie? You may be
>> able to sweeten the deal with some treats, given after clipping. My Gracie
>> loves being brushed, so I incorporate that.
>
> Excellent advice, treats and brushing. My experience is that yeah, she
> will
> avoid you soon after clipping, but cats have limited memory span for
> grudges
> and unless you are seen holding the clippers...Rosie still loves you.
> The way to my cats' hearts is through their stomachs.

" but cats have limited memory span for grudges "

Ha ha tell that to my past cats who have been known to save up a
suitable punishment for their wayward humans years after the event
ie "what the hell did you do that for [insert name of cat]?" Cat walks
away slowly flicking the tail that says "gotcha!"

Netmask
July 14th 09, 06:33 AM
Rene S wrote:
> On Jul 12, 10:42 pm, "
> > wrote:
>>> any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...
>> Try approaching her when she is taking a nap, and right there, do one
>> paw. And quit. Give her some of her favorite treats. Later, during
>> another nap, do another paw.
>>
>> The idea is that she is relaxed and tired, and by the time she becomes
>> fully alert, you can have that paw done, and it was no big deal.
>> Eventually, it just isn't a big deal.
>

> This is good advice. I would also not take her into the bathroom. She
> might not like the confined space.

Our last 3 cats were Burmese and loved the bathroom especially when it
was hot and steamy - our recently deceased Max would some times play
with the water at our feet from the shower - it's a double shower
partially behind a glass screen so he always got quite wet. He also
dabbled his feet in the lap pool sometimes. Some cats just love water.
He enjoyed being brushed and didn't mind having his claws done, just
laid on his back and very docile. Train them to it when they are kittens.

T[_4_]
July 14th 09, 04:22 PM
In article >,
says...

> Rene S wrote:
> >> Try approaching her when she is taking a nap, and right there, do one
> >> paw. And quit. Give her some of her favorite treats. Later, during
> >> another nap, do another paw.
> >>
> >> The idea is that she is relaxed and tired, and by the time she becomes
> >> fully alert, you can have that paw done, and it was no big deal.
> >> Eventually, it just isn't a big deal.
> >

> > This is good advice. I would also not take her into the bathroom. She
> > might not like the confined space.
>

> Our last 3 cats were Burmese and loved the bathroom especially when it
> was hot and steamy - our recently deceased Max would some times play
> with the water at our feet from the shower - it's a double shower
> partially behind a glass screen so he always got quite wet. He also
> dabbled his feet in the lap pool sometimes. Some cats just love water.
> He enjoyed being brushed and didn't mind having his claws done, just
> laid on his back and very docile. Train them to it when they are kittens.

Some cats do love water. Randy was a tuxedo pattern DSH. I had him for
almost 18 years. He absolutely loved water, he'd even step in the shower
with me to try to lap at the dripping faucet.

But then I've always heard that cats enjoy fresh water or found water.

Angie is a bathroom cat. From the minute you go in and plop your butt
down she's right there with you.

That's the **** house cat syndrome.

\jordy\
July 14th 09, 09:14 PM
On Jul 13, 5:23*pm, jweeks > wrote:
> On Jul 12, 1:23*pm, "\"jordy\"" > wrote:
>
> > * * Hi. my mom has a cat named Rosie,and about once a month we bring
> > the cat into the bathroom, in order to trim her claws... the problem
> > is that Rosie doesn't paticularly enjoy this, to put it mildly... Is
> > there anything that can be done to have this activity be more
> > comfortable for Rosie? my mom feels that she needs to cut her claws,
> > because the longer the claws are, the more they get stuck in various
> > things and cause various problems etc... this has also harmed my
> > relationship with my Rosie... We used to be very close and spend time
> > together... now, Rosie usually avoids me because she associates me
> > with her getting her claws cut...
>
> > * *any suggestions would be appreciated... thanks...
>
> My guy gets a tiny trim every 3-4 weeks, as he's an indoor kitty.
> What makes it so much better is if YOU and YOUR MOM don't feel anxiety
> when you go to hold him...if you already feel like your cat will
> struggle...or feel anxiety, then it's projected onto your kitty..So
> he's already feeling the stress before it happens...and that makes it
> so much worse. * Try to approach him like it's no big deal...pet him,
> speak softly, etc....Hope it helps, Jenny :)

thanks... but why are you calling Rosie a "him"? I don't think she
would like that... she is such a pretty cat...