PDA

View Full Version : Outside cat is a real yowler

dgk
July 16th 09, 01:43 PM
I started giving this outside kitty some food - mostly leftovers from
my brood. Cute, predominantly black with the tips of his front feet
white and white socks on the rear legs. The chest and underside of his
throat is white and it carries up to his mouth so the whole face is
black except the white jaw. Very striking - white whiskers as well.

Mostly he shows up at dusk and waits outside my door. I still haven't
touched him/her but I'm getting closer. At first he was silent but
lately he's been getting pretty talkative. I'm mentioning all this
because today he showed up at 6am as I was leaving for work.

He was absolutely yowling up a storm. He really doesn't look Siamese
although he is sort of long and sleek, but he just kept yowling so I
brought him breakfast. I'm very good at taking orders apparently. He
didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
since I still am not allowed to touch. I'll keep a sharp eye out
tonight. I'll have to leave word with the cat sitter to leave some
food out for him when I go away.

Calvin
July 16th 09, 02:55 PM
On Jul 16, 8:43*am, dgk > wrote:
> ... He
> didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
> since I still am not allowed to touch. ...

Probably you have already tried this, but if not he might let
you touch him around the shoulders and upper back while
he eats. Even if he shies away he might let you do it more
the next time.

dgk
July 16th 09, 08:33 PM
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 06:55:01 -0700 (PDT), calvin
> wrote:

>On Jul 16, 8:43*am, dgk > wrote:
>> ... He
>> didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
>> since I still am not allowed to touch. ...
>
>Probably you have already tried this, but if not he might let
>you touch him around the shoulders and upper back while
>he eats. Even if he shies away he might let you do it more
>the next time.

We're getting closer - I sit closer each time he eats but I'm almost
afraid to get much closer. I really don't have room for another cat so
I don't want to be in a position to take him in. I may at least have
to get him neuterd. We're getting overrun with cats.

Gandalf
July 19th 09, 09:24 AM
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:43:28 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>I started giving this outside kitty some food - mostly leftovers from
>my brood. Cute, predominantly black with the tips of his front feet
>white and white socks on the rear legs. The chest and underside of his
>throat is white and it carries up to his mouth so the whole face is
>black except the white jaw. Very striking - white whiskers as well.
>
>Mostly he shows up at dusk and waits outside my door. I still haven't
>touched him/her but I'm getting closer. At first he was silent but
>lately he's been getting pretty talkative. I'm mentioning all this
>because today he showed up at 6am as I was leaving for work.
>
>He was absolutely yowling up a storm. He really doesn't look Siamese
>although he is sort of long and sleek, but he just kept yowling so I
>brought him breakfast. I'm very good at taking orders apparently. He
>didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
>since I still am not allowed to touch. I'll keep a sharp eye out
>tonight. I'll have to leave word with the cat sitter to leave some
>food out for him when I go away.

Thank you for feeding this unfortunate, homeless cat. You have a big
heart, like so many cat lovers.

By doing that, you may keep him from having to hunt, and picking up a
disease from prey, etc. Or getting hit by a car as he crosses roads,
looking for food. The life of a feral is often short and very unhappy.

You could change that, with some luck.

There are millions of cats that have been made homeless by house
foreclosures. But this cat sounds more like a true feral.

A very pretty feral, at that :)

If you could socialize him, you might be able to find him a home. He's
trusting you more and more. Well, if it's a him.

Best of luck you you, and the outside cat.

Michelle C.
July 19th 09, 07:29 PM
dgk wrote:
> I started giving this outside kitty some food - mostly leftovers from
> my brood. Cute, predominantly black with the tips of his front feet
> white and white socks on the rear legs. The chest and underside of his
> throat is white and it carries up to his mouth so the whole face is
> black except the white jaw. Very striking - white whiskers as well.
>
> Mostly he shows up at dusk and waits outside my door. I still haven't
> touched him/her but I'm getting closer. At first he was silent but
> lately he's been getting pretty talkative. I'm mentioning all this
> because today he showed up at 6am as I was leaving for work.
>
> He was absolutely yowling up a storm. He really doesn't look Siamese
> although he is sort of long and sleek, but he just kept yowling so I
> brought him breakfast. I'm very good at taking orders apparently. He
> didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
> since I still am not allowed to touch. I'll keep a sharp eye out
> tonight. I'll have to leave word with the cat sitter to leave some
> food out for him when I go away.

I was told by an acquaintance who was a veterinary assistant that a lot
of black cats are hiding some Siamese genes under their coats. I
mentioned it to her because my black cat is VERY chatty, and sometimes
quite demanding.

Best regards,
Michelle

dgk
July 20th 09, 01:14 PM
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:29:16 -0700, "Michelle C."
> wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> I started giving this outside kitty some food - mostly leftovers from
>> my brood. Cute, predominantly black with the tips of his front feet
>> white and white socks on the rear legs. The chest and underside of his
>> throat is white and it carries up to his mouth so the whole face is
>> black except the white jaw. Very striking - white whiskers as well.
>>
>> Mostly he shows up at dusk and waits outside my door. I still haven't
>> touched him/her but I'm getting closer. At first he was silent but
>> lately he's been getting pretty talkative. I'm mentioning all this
>> because today he showed up at 6am as I was leaving for work.
>>
>> He was absolutely yowling up a storm. He really doesn't look Siamese
>> although he is sort of long and sleek, but he just kept yowling so I
>> brought him breakfast. I'm very good at taking orders apparently. He
>> didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
>> since I still am not allowed to touch. I'll keep a sharp eye out
>> tonight. I'll have to leave word with the cat sitter to leave some
>> food out for him when I go away.
>
>I was told by an acquaintance who was a veterinary assistant that a lot
>of black cats are hiding some Siamese genes under their coats. I
>mentioned it to her because my black cat is VERY chatty, and sometimes
>quite demanding.
>
>Best regards,
>Michelle

This one is really off-the-wall demanding. He's trying to eat the food
before I even get it out of the can and into the bowl. He yowls like a
little banshee until his little mouth gets busy with the eating. Once
done, he sits outside my door for a few hours and then heads off. It
drives my cats nuts but they're starting to get used to him being
around.

Good news - it appears that someone has done a TNR on him since his
left ear is clipped. At least I don't need to worry about doing that.
I'll need to talk to some neighbors and find out who's responsible.

I was petting him while he was eating and he was rubbing my hand
later, scent marking me. I feel more slavish all the time. Still, he's
a long way from being taken into the house. Espy is still very much a
question mark healthwise and the last thing he needs is someone
joining. Not only that, I really (really) don't have room nor the
budget for a fourth cat.

Michelle C.
July 23rd 09, 05:29 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:29:16 -0700, "Michelle C."
> > wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:
>>> I started giving this outside kitty some food - mostly leftovers from
>>> my brood. Cute, predominantly black with the tips of his front feet
>>> white and white socks on the rear legs. The chest and underside of his
>>> throat is white and it carries up to his mouth so the whole face is
>>> black except the white jaw. Very striking - white whiskers as well.
>>>
>>> Mostly he shows up at dusk and waits outside my door. I still haven't
>>> touched him/her but I'm getting closer. At first he was silent but
>>> lately he's been getting pretty talkative. I'm mentioning all this
>>> because today he showed up at 6am as I was leaving for work.
>>>
>>> He was absolutely yowling up a storm. He really doesn't look Siamese
>>> although he is sort of long and sleek, but he just kept yowling so I
>>> brought him breakfast. I'm very good at taking orders apparently. He
>>> didn't seem injured or anything but it's tough to really get an idea
>>> since I still am not allowed to touch. I'll keep a sharp eye out
>>> tonight. I'll have to leave word with the cat sitter to leave some
>>> food out for him when I go away.
>> I was told by an acquaintance who was a veterinary assistant that a lot
>> of black cats are hiding some Siamese genes under their coats. I
>> mentioned it to her because my black cat is VERY chatty, and sometimes
>> quite demanding.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michelle
>
> This one is really off-the-wall demanding. He's trying to eat the food
> before I even get it out of the can and into the bowl. He yowls like a
> little banshee until his little mouth gets busy with the eating. Once
> done, he sits outside my door for a few hours and then heads off. It
> drives my cats nuts but they're starting to get used to him being
> around.
>
> Good news - it appears that someone has done a TNR on him since his
> left ear is clipped. At least I don't need to worry about doing that.
> I'll need to talk to some neighbors and find out who's responsible.
>
> I was petting him while he was eating and he was rubbing my hand
> later, scent marking me. I feel more slavish all the time. Still, he's
> a long way from being taken into the house. Espy is still very much a
> question mark healthwise and the last thing he needs is someone
> joining. Not only that, I really (really) don't have room nor the
> budget for a fourth cat.

Got to watch out because it sounds like he is claiming you whether you
want him to or not. ;-)

Glad his TNR is already done.

Best regards,
Michelle

dgk
July 31st 09, 01:41 PM
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:29:39 -0700, "Michelle C."
> wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:29:16 -0700, "Michelle C."
>> > wrote:

>>> I was told by an acquaintance who was a veterinary assistant that a lot
>>> of black cats are hiding some Siamese genes under their coats. I
>>> mentioned it to her because my black cat is VERY chatty, and sometimes
>>> quite demanding.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michelle
>>
>> This one is really off-the-wall demanding. He's trying to eat the food
>> before I even get it out of the can and into the bowl. He yowls like a
>> little banshee until his little mouth gets busy with the eating. Once
>> done, he sits outside my door for a few hours and then heads off. It
>> drives my cats nuts but they're starting to get used to him being
>> around.
>>
>> Good news - it appears that someone has done a TNR on him since his
>> left ear is clipped. At least I don't need to worry about doing that.
>> I'll need to talk to some neighbors and find out who's responsible.
>>
>> I was petting him while he was eating and he was rubbing my hand
>> later, scent marking me. I feel more slavish all the time. Still, he's
>> a long way from being taken into the house. Espy is still very much a
>> question mark healthwise and the last thing he needs is someone
>> joining. Not only that, I really (really) don't have room nor the
>> budget for a fourth cat.
>
>Got to watch out because it sounds like he is claiming you whether you
>want him to or not. ;-)
>
>Glad his TNR is already done.
>
>Best regards,
>Michelle

Ah, back from vacation and picking up the threads.

I had the cat sitter leave him food while I was away. As I walked up
toward the door, bags in hand, this big black cat (same one, just
bigger) was screaming to be fed. So, of course, I fed him as soon as I
got inside to put the bags down and get some food. He started eating
the food out of the can as soon as I brought it near the bowl.

Marlo has gotten quite plump since I took her in. I'm afraid this one
would eat more enough to be a whale. I also can't figure out where I
can sleep if I take in one more cat.