PDA

View Full Version : feral cat relocation question

bob[_3_]
July 18th 09, 11:23 PM
I had 3 feral cats, all siblings, all 5 yrs old, all with microchips
Had them for 5 years living in a wooded area behind my apartment.
Fed, vaccinated and "fixed" them all.

1 yr ago I moved to a home that had a very large preserve in the yard.
1 of the 3 cats left the 1st day - never came back.

Today I was contacted (via the microchip #) by a guy 3/4 mile away in my
complex who has been feeding her for 9 mos and wanted to adopt her. He has
an indoor cat and thinks she is friendly enough to adopt to being an indoor
cat too, although he has never had her inside his home yet (back patio
only).

I would like what is best for the cat, and IMO, that is to live in my yard
as an outdoor cat with the 2 siblings.
But....I would like to know if I take her back WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO
ENSURE SHE KNOWS THIS IS HER HOME AND DOESN'T RUN AWAY??

Or should I let the guy keep the cat, although she is a feral cat and not a
housecat, and I don't believe integrating her with his housecat will work?

Advice...

Bob in south florida

MLB[_2_]
July 19th 09, 05:51 AM
bob wrote:
> I had 3 feral cats, all siblings, all 5 yrs old, all with microchips
> Had them for 5 years living in a wooded area behind my apartment.
> Fed, vaccinated and "fixed" them all.
>
> 1 yr ago I moved to a home that had a very large preserve in the yard.
> 1 of the 3 cats left the 1st day - never came back.
>
> Today I was contacted (via the microchip #) by a guy 3/4 mile away in my
> complex who has been feeding her for 9 mos and wanted to adopt her. He
> has an indoor cat and thinks she is friendly enough to adopt to being an
> indoor cat too, although he has never had her inside his home yet (back
> patio only).
>
> I would like what is best for the cat, and IMO, that is to live in my
> yard as an outdoor cat with the 2 siblings.
> But....I would like to know if I take her back WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO
> ENSURE SHE KNOWS THIS IS HER HOME AND DOESN'T RUN AWAY??
>
> Or should I let the guy keep the cat, although she is a feral cat and
> not a housecat, and I don't believe integrating her with his housecat
> will work?
>
> Advice...
>
> Bob in south florida

IMHO the cat has chosen her home. As for her adjusting to being an
indoor cat, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let him give it a try.
He obviously likes the cat and should take good care of her. MLB

Granby
July 19th 09, 08:11 AM
I figured if he took her to se if she is chipped he really did the right
thing.

I wouldn't try and force her to move again. If she has been with him that
long, she must be content. Many have successfully moved a cat like this
into their homes. Takes time and patience and sounds like it is what he
wants to do so he will do it the right way.

"MLB" > wrote in message
> bob wrote:
>> I had 3 feral cats, all siblings, all 5 yrs old, all with microchips
>> Had them for 5 years living in a wooded area behind my apartment.
>> Fed, vaccinated and "fixed" them all.
>>
>> 1 yr ago I moved to a home that had a very large preserve in the yard.
>> 1 of the 3 cats left the 1st day - never came back.
>>
>> Today I was contacted (via the microchip #) by a guy 3/4 mile away in my
>> complex who has been feeding her for 9 mos and wanted to adopt her. He
>> has an indoor cat and thinks she is friendly enough to adopt to being an
>> indoor cat too, although he has never had her inside his home yet (back
>> patio only).
>>
>> I would like what is best for the cat, and IMO, that is to live in my
>> yard as an outdoor cat with the 2 siblings.
>> But....I would like to know if I take her back WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO
>> ENSURE SHE KNOWS THIS IS HER HOME AND DOESN'T RUN AWAY??
>>
>> Or should I let the guy keep the cat, although she is a feral cat and not
>> a housecat, and I don't believe integrating her with his housecat will
>> work?
>>
>> Advice...
>>
>> Bob in south florida
>

> IMHO the cat has chosen her home. As for her adjusting to being an indoor
> cat, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let him give it a try. He
> obviously likes the cat and should take good care of her. MLB

dgk
July 20th 09, 03:48 PM
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 02:11:37 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:

>I figured if he took her to se if she is chipped he really did the right
>thing.
>
>I wouldn't try and force her to move again. If she has been with him that
>long, she must be content. Many have successfully moved a cat like this
>into their homes. Takes time and patience and sounds like it is what he
>wants to do so he will do it the right way.
>
>"MLB" > wrote in message
>> bob wrote:
>>> I had 3 feral cats, all siblings, all 5 yrs old, all with microchips
>>> Had them for 5 years living in a wooded area behind my apartment.
>>> Fed, vaccinated and "fixed" them all.
>>>
>>> 1 yr ago I moved to a home that had a very large preserve in the yard.
>>> 1 of the 3 cats left the 1st day - never came back.
>>>
>>> Today I was contacted (via the microchip #) by a guy 3/4 mile away in my
>>> complex who has been feeding her for 9 mos and wanted to adopt her. He
>>> has an indoor cat and thinks she is friendly enough to adopt to being an
>>> indoor cat too, although he has never had her inside his home yet (back
>>> patio only).
>>>
>>> I would like what is best for the cat, and IMO, that is to live in my
>>> yard as an outdoor cat with the 2 siblings.
>>> But....I would like to know if I take her back WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO
>>> ENSURE SHE KNOWS THIS IS HER HOME AND DOESN'T RUN AWAY??
>>>
>>> Or should I let the guy keep the cat, although she is a feral cat and not
>>> a housecat, and I don't believe integrating her with his housecat will
>>> work?
>>>
>>> Advice...
>>>
>>> Bob in south florida
>>

>> IMHO the cat has chosen her home. As for her adjusting to being an indoor
>> cat, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let him give it a try. He
>> obviously likes the cat and should take good care of her. MLB

Seems worth a try. I think some outdoor cats never get used to being
indoor, but many do. There are certain advantages like central
heating.

I can't think of any way to keep the cat outdoors and making sure they
don't leave.

jweeks
July 20th 09, 07:10 PM
On Jul 18, 6:23*pm, "bob" > wrote:
> I had 3 feral cats, all siblings, all 5 yrs old, all with microchips
> Had them for 5 years living in a wooded area behind my apartment.
> Fed, vaccinated and "fixed" them all.
>
> 1 yr ago I moved to a home that had a very large preserve in the yard.
> 1 of the 3 cats left the 1st day - never came back.
>
> Today I was contacted (via the microchip #) by a guy 3/4 mile away in my
> complex who has been feeding her for 9 mos and wanted to adopt her. He has
> an indoor cat and thinks she is friendly enough to adopt to being an indoor
> cat too, although he has never had her inside his home yet (back patio
> only).
>
> I would like what is best for the cat, and IMO, that is to live in my yard
> as an outdoor cat with the 2 siblings.
> But....I would like to know if I take her back WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO
> ENSURE SHE KNOWS THIS IS HER HOME AND DOESN'T RUN AWAY??
>
> Or should I let the guy keep the cat, although she is a feral cat and not a
> housecat, and I don't believe integrating her with his housecat will work?
>
> Advice...
>
> Bob in south florida

When i moved as a kid, there was always a cat or two that went back to
the old home...We never moved very far and my aunt or grandmother took
care of them. I have to agree...if you bring her back, she'll leave
again and go back to where she's happy. I'd let the other person try
to integrate her...if it doesn't work inside, she'll still be taken
care of outside...it's a win-win for her. ~Jenny ^..^ '