PDA

View Full Version : Cutting nails

desgnr[_2_]
July 22nd 09, 03:06 PM
My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.

Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

sativasam
July 22nd 09, 03:37 PM
"desgnr" > in a moment of madness wrote in message

My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.

Not surprised, can you not just leave the poor cat alone!
Get her a scratching post. But if you can't resist messing with nature, find
her a new home.
Cutting a cats claws, never heard out so daft.

Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

No leave her be as nature intended!

Although you can get little sticky on covers, if you want a semi defenseless
cat.

Poor little sod.

James
July 22nd 09, 04:03 PM
On Jul 22, 10:06*am, "desgnr" > wrote:
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

I'm going to try this next time I trim her nails. Wrap her in a hand
towel like a burrito. Put her on her back. Take out one leg and
trim. I've done it with rabbits but haven't tried a cat yet.

Matthew[_3_]
July 22nd 09, 04:10 PM
"sativasam" > wrote in message
> "desgnr" > in a moment of madness wrote in message
>
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Not surprised, can you not just leave the poor cat alone!
> Get her a scratching post. But if you can't resist messing with nature,
> find her a new home.
> Cutting a cats claws, never heard out so daft.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?
>
> No leave her be as nature intended!
>
> Although you can get little sticky on covers, if you want a semi
> defenseless cat.
>
> Poor little sod.

Are you a freaking idiot??

Matthew[_3_]
July 22nd 09, 04:15 PM
I had a cat like that I ended up having to take her to the vet to do it
or it got a set of Kevlar glovers out and had someone hold her down. After
a while she learned that it was go with the flow or got to the vet

"desgnr" > wrote in message
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

cybercat
July 22nd 09, 04:42 PM
"desgnr" > wrote in message
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

Get a friend to help you.

sativasam
July 22nd 09, 04:48 PM
I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!

"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
>I had a cat like that I ended up having to take her to the vet to do it
>or it got a set of Kevlar glovers out and had someone hold her down.
>After a while she learned that it was go with the flow or got to the vet
>

> "desgnr" > wrote in message
>> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>
>> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

cybercat
July 22nd 09, 05:00 PM
"sativasam" > wrote in message
>I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
>reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
>treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
>the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!

You're an idiot. I cannot be the first to tell you, but let me join the
ringing chorus of voices.

---MIKE---
July 22nd 09, 06:29 PM
I wonder if satisvasam isn't getting clipping confused with declawing.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

AZ Nomad[_2_]
July 22nd 09, 06:38 PM
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:48:30 +0100, sativasam > wrote:
>I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
>reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
>treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
>the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!

I keep kitties nails trimed when they grow too long. I see that this
is too complex a concept for you to fathom. Cats evolved in the wild,
not in a cave like yours, and the use of a scratching post is
frequently not enough to counter their claws' natural growth.

For example, I have a less active persian whose dew claw will spiral
in and cut her if it isn't trimmed.

Rene
July 22nd 09, 07:01 PM
> I keep kitties nails trimed when they grow too long. *I see that this
> is too complex a concept for you to fathom. *Cats evolved in the wild,
> not in a cave like yours, and the use of a scratching post is
> frequently not enough to counter their claws' natural growth.
>
> For example, I have a less active persian whose dew claw will spiral
> in and cut her if it isn't trimmed.

Nomad is correct. In the wild, cats will naturally wear down their
nails, but this doesn't happen indoors. Their nails can grow into
their paw pad, or get stuck in carpeting and get yanked off/bleed.

Catch her when she's sleepy and cut a nail or two. If she hisses, stop
and try again later. Praise her like crazy if she doesn't fuss. It
will take some time. Give her a treat afterwards. Sometimes, I'll
"pretend" to clip a nail (just massage the paw a little). Do this, and
praise her, to get her used to the sensation.

I've tried the towel/burrito method, but some cats really don't like
being restrained and will fight even more. You can try it on your cat,
but if she struggles a lot, remove the towel. You'll only make her
more stressed.

Our middle cat used to be a terror with the nails, but I kept at it,
and today he will purr when I put him on my lap for a trimming!

Granby
July 22nd 09, 08:11 PM
That is the way I do all three of mine. My carpet is different textured
and, after seeing a couple of them actually rip out a nail, nope not going
to happen again. They fight with being wrapped up but mine have now
learned, if they lay still it won't last long and, a treat always follows.
"James" > wrote in message
On Jul 22, 10:06 am, "desgnr" > wrote:
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

I'm going to try this next time I trim her nails. Wrap her in a hand
towel like a burrito. Put her on her back. Take out one leg and
trim. I've done it with rabbits but haven't tried a cat yet.

Granby
July 22nd 09, 09:48 PM
I was hoping this was the case. FYI, clipping is like cutting your own
finger nails. IT IS NOT DECLAWING!!!!
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
I wonder if satisvasam isn't getting clipping confused with declawing.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Linda Boucher
July 22nd 09, 10:54 PM
Hi
my cat is very hard to do anything with.she does`to like being touched.so I
hold her between my knee's.
and cut her nails
>>I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
>>reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
>>treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
>>the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!
>
> I keep kitties nails trimed when they grow too long. I see that this
> is too complex a concept for you to fathom. Cats evolved in the wild,
> not in a cave like yours, and the use of a scratching post is
> frequently not enough to counter their claws' natural growth.
>
> For example, I have a less active persian whose dew claw will spiral
> in and cut her if it isn't trimmed.

Matthew[_3_]
July 22nd 09, 11:19 PM
There is no confusing here. Good sentence structure and definition from
this person. The person has been in the cat groups before.

They understand but here comes the "American part" Please kiss off

"sativasam" > wrote in message
>I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
>reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
>treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
>the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!
>

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>I had a cat like that I ended up having to take her to the vet to do it
>>or it got a set of Kevlar glovers out and had someone hold her down.
>>After a while she learned that it was go with the flow or got to the vet
>>

>> "desgnr" > wrote in message
>>> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>>
>>> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

MaryL
July 25th 09, 05:30 AM
"sativasam" > wrote in message
>I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
>reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
>treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
>the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!
>

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>I had a cat like that I ended up having to take her to the vet to do it
>>or it got a set of Kevlar glovers out and had someone hold her down.
>>After a while she learned that it was go with the flow or got to the vet
>>

>> "desgnr" > wrote in message
>>> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>>
>>> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least, not in
my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple of cat trees.
However, the time eventually comes when Holly's claws are long enough that
they start to "catch" as she climbs or even walks across the carpet.
Without trimming, she could easily injure herself if a claw becomes hooked
in fabric. Trimming her claws is someone like trimming our own nails--that
is, the claw or nail is dead tissue (*not at all* like declawing) and does
not cause any injury. Would you let your own nails grow without every
filing or trimming them??

MaryL

Janet
July 25th 09, 11:11 PM
MaryL wrote:
> Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least,
> not in my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple
> of cat trees.

My cat, whom I rescued as an adult, has a scratching post, which I've seen
her use precisely once, and she had one of those cardboard scratching things
with a ball that runs around the outside which she completely ignored, even
when I put catnip on it and played with her by rolling the ball. Apparently
she is in that percentage of cats that don't react to catnip. I cannot
afford to continue purchasing scratching posts of varied type to see if she
will condescend to use one.

She inflicted damage on my upholstered furniture before I realized what she
was up to. Damn straight I trim her nails because of the furniture!
Luckily, she puts up with nail trimming very well.

MaryL
July 25th 09, 11:48 PM
"Janet" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>> Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least,
>> not in my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple
>> of cat trees.
>
> My cat, whom I rescued as an adult, has a scratching post, which I've seen
> her use precisely once, and she had one of those cardboard scratching
> things with a ball that runs around the outside which she completely
> ignored, even when I put catnip on it and played with her by rolling the
> ball. Apparently she is in that percentage of cats that don't react to
> catnip. I cannot afford to continue purchasing scratching posts of varied
> type to see if she will condescend to use one.
>
> She inflicted damage on my upholstered furniture before I realized what
> she was up to. Damn straight I trim her nails because of the furniture!
> Luckily, she puts up with nail trimming very well.

Well, there is nothing wrong with trimming a cat's claws either for the
purpose I listed or for what you said. Trimming does not injure the cat,
just as filing or timming my own nails does not hurt me. It is *declawing*
that is injurious (and unpardonable, in my opinion).

MaryL

Granby
July 25th 09, 11:49 PM
Has this person responded to any of our posts? Maybe someone just jumped in
to be ugly and left, not wanting to learn anything.

> "sativasam" > wrote in message
>>I see, American cat owners, that explains it. Poor cats, the only possible
>>reason to cut a cats claws is, if it has a foot /claw infection and needs
>>treatment, in general this cruel act is just to make life a bit easier for
>>the human who keeps the pet. shame on you!
>>

>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> g.com...
>>>I had a cat like that I ended up having to take her to the vet to do it
>>>or it got a set of Kevlar glovers out and had someone hold her down.
>>>After a while she learned that it was go with the flow or got to the vet

> Trimming our cats' claws has nothing to do with furniture (at least, not
> in my case). My cats have lots of scratching posts and a couple of cat
> trees. However, the time eventually comes when Holly's claws are long
> enough that they start to "catch" as she climbs or even walks across the
> carpet. Without trimming, she could easily injure herself if a claw
> becomes hooked in fabric. Trimming her claws is someone like trimming our
> own nails--that is, the claw or nail is dead tissue (*not at all* like
> declawing) and does not cause any injury. Would you let your own nails
> grow without every filing or trimming them??
>
> MaryL

MaryL
July 26th 09, 12:05 AM
"Granby" > wrote in message
> Has this person responded to any of our posts? Maybe someone just jumped
> in to be ugly and left, not wanting to learn anything.

I suspect that may be the case, especially since the message started with
"American cat owners," "poor cats," etc. and then there was no response when
clarification was given.

MaryL

desgnr[_2_]
July 28th 09, 03:17 PM
Did anyone ever use a Muzzle to help with cutting nails or is a Muzzle not
nice to use ?
"desgnr" > wrote in message
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

cybercat
July 28th 09, 06:52 PM
"desgnr" > wrote in message
> Did anyone ever use a Muzzle to help with cutting nails or is a Muzzle not
> nice to use ?

They have claws. Besides, you don't need a muzzle. You lay your cat on her
side on a bed or a towel on the floor and gently press your hand to the side
of her face to keep her from biting you. She is rolled up in a towel with
her feet sticking out, one at a time, to keep her from scratching you. It's
a two-person job--or, the vet charges, what, $10-15 to do it? Sweet cats
like my Gracie hate the rolling up and restraining worse than the clipping
and will eventually just lie there and put up with it. Give treats at the
end, and petting and praise.

Granby
July 28th 09, 08:11 PM
Ahhhhha, it isn't the teeth you should be worrying about, it is the other
three paws you are not clipping at the moment. You can easily hold the head
away with arm or towel between you and it but those other claws, if not in a
towel or pinned down. That is where the trouble lies.
"desgnr" > wrote in message
> Did anyone ever use a Muzzle to help with cutting nails or is a Muzzle not
> nice to use ?
> "desgnr" > wrote in message
>> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>
>> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

kraut3852
July 28th 09, 08:27 PM
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:52:09 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"desgnr" > wrote in message
>> Did anyone ever use a Muzzle to help with cutting nails or is a Muzzle not
>> nice to use ?
>
>They have claws. Besides, you don't need a muzzle. You lay your cat on her
>side on a bed or a towel on the floor and gently press your hand to the side
>of her face to keep her from biting you. She is rolled up in a towel with
>her feet sticking out, one at a time, to keep her from scratching you. It's
>a two-person job--or, the vet charges, what, $10-15 to do it? Sweet cats
>like my Gracie hate the rolling up and restraining worse than the clipping
>and will eventually just lie there and put up with it. Give treats at the
>end, and petting and praise.

I would rather pay the vet to do it.

Last time I tryed to do the oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard ab deep that I got
infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is toch her feet
and look out!!!!

The rest will let me do their's but will let me know all the while
that they do not like it!!!

cybercat
July 28th 09, 08:36 PM
"kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the oldest
ones nail she went balistic on me.
> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard ab deep that I got
> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is toch her feet
> and look out!!!!

Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.

Janet
July 28th 09, 09:43 PM
Granby wrote:
> Ahhhhha, it isn't the teeth you should be worrying about, it is the
> other three paws you are not clipping at the moment. You can easily
> hold the head away with arm or towel between you and it but those
> other claws, if not in a towel or pinned down. That is where the
> trouble lies. "desgnr" > wrote in message
>> Did anyone ever use a Muzzle to help with cutting nails or is a
>> Muzzle not nice to use ?
>> "desgnr" > wrote in message
>>> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>>
>>> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

Hmmm. I just hold my cat on my lap and address one paw at a time. She
doesn't scratch or bite, although she does indicate by a bit of wriggling
that she would just as soon not do this.

Sounds like I'm lucky. <G>

Matthew[_3_]
July 28th 09, 09:52 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard ab deep that I got
>> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
>> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is toch her feet
>> and look out!!!!
>
> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.
My ka'shay is that way I tell every one that I get tired of a 7 pound 4
year old kicking my ass

cybercat
July 28th 09, 09:59 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
>> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>>> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard ab deep that I got
>>> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
>>> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is toch her feet
>>> and look out!!!!
>>
>> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.
> My ka'shay is that way I tell every one that I get tired of a 7 pound 4
> year old kicking my ass

haha! Is her name cachet?

kraut3852
July 28th 09, 10:01 PM

>> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
>> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>>> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard and deep that I got
>>> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
>>> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is touch her feet
>>> and look out!!!!

>> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.

There is a pics of all 6 pounds of her at:

http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

kraut3852
July 28th 09, 10:03 PM

>> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
>> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>>> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard and deep that I got
>>> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
>>> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is touch her feet
>>> and look out!!!!

>> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.

There is a pics of all 6 pounds of her at:

http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

kraut3852
July 28th 09, 10:06 PM
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:03:36 -0400, kraut3852 >
wrote:

>>> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
>>> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>

>>> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.
>
>There is a pics of all 6 pounds of her at:
>
>http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

Sorry. Did not mean to post twice. Did not think it went the first
time.

cybercat
July 28th 09, 10:16 PM
"kraut3852" > wrote in message

>>> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
>>> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>

>>> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.
>
> There is a pics of all 6 pounds of her at:
>
> http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg

AHA! I should have known .. a tortoiseshell! She is beautiful.

Matthew[_3_]
July 28th 09, 10:16 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "kraut3852" > wrote > Last time I tryed to do the
>>> oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>>>
>>> Holy chit! I need to see a picture of this cat.
>> My ka'shay is that way I tell every one that I get tired of a 7 pound 4
>> year old kicking my ass
>
> haha! Is her name cachet?

Ka' Shay it means Don't ask in a very old language

cybercat
July 28th 09, 10:17 PM
"kraut3852" > wrote in message

>>There is a pics of all 6 pounds of her at:
>>
>>http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg
>
> Sorry. Did not mean to post twice. Did not think it went the first
> time.

That's okay. I am wondering, what is her story? How did you get her?

cybercat
July 28th 09, 10:41 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> g.com...

>>> My ka'shay is that way I tell every one that I get tired of a 7 pound
>>> 4 year old kicking my ass
>>
>> haha! Is her name cachet?
>
> Ka' Shay it means Don't ask in a very old language
ahhhh.

Granby
July 29th 09, 12:32 AM
Hi Kraut, how many out cats are you feeding these days?
"kraut3852" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:52:09 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"desgnr" > wrote in message
>>> Did anyone ever use a Muzzle to help with cutting nails or is a Muzzle
>>> not
>>> nice to use ?
>>
>>They have claws. Besides, you don't need a muzzle. You lay your cat on
>>her
>>side on a bed or a towel on the floor and gently press your hand to the
>>side
>>of her face to keep her from biting you. She is rolled up in a towel with
>>her feet sticking out, one at a time, to keep her from scratching you.
>>It's
>>a two-person job--or, the vet charges, what, $10-15 to do it? Sweet cats
>>like my Gracie hate the rolling up and restraining worse than the clipping
>>and will eventually just lie there and put up with it. Give treats at the
>>end, and petting and praise.
>>

> I would rather pay the vet to do it.
>
> Last time I tryed to do the oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard ab deep that I got
> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is toch her feet
> and look out!!!!
>
> The rest will let me do their's but will let me know all the while
> that they do not like it!!!

MLB[_2_]
July 29th 09, 01:16 AM
Granby wrote:
> Hi Kraut, how many out cats are you feeding these days?
> "kraut3852" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:52:09 -0400, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>> They have claws. Besides, you don't need a muzzle. You lay your cat on
>>> her
>>> side on a bed or a towel on the floor and gently press your hand to the
>>> side
>>> of her face to keep her from biting you. She is rolled up in a towel with
>>> her feet sticking out, one at a time, to keep her from scratching you.
>>> It's
>>> a two-person job--or, the vet charges, what, $10-15 to do it? Sweet cats
>>> like my Gracie hate the rolling up and restraining worse than the clipping
>>> and will eventually just lie there and put up with it. Give treats at the
>>> end, and petting and praise.
>>>
>> I would rather pay the vet to do it.
>>
>> Last time I tryed to do the oldest ones nail she went balistic on me.
>> She peed all over me and pooped and bit me so hard ab deep that I got
>> infection and had to be admitted to hospital for 2 days because the
>> infection had started up my arm. All I have to do is toch her feet
>> and look out!!!!
>>
>> The rest will let me do their's but will let me know all the while
>> that they do not like it!!!
>>

> There is no way I would ever attem[t to cut TuTu's nails. The last time TED tried it TuTu went wild and even with the TED and her assistant they could not hold her.
There is no way I would try it on a "wild cat'.
I was able to trim Princess's nails a few at a time, but I was much
younger then. Best wishes. MLB

kraut3852
July 29th 09, 02:07 PM
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:17:43 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"kraut3852" > wrote in message

>>>There is a pics of all 6 pounds of her at:
>>>
>>>http://users.ameritech.net/lestark/kitty-win.jpg
>>
>> Sorry. Did not mean to post twice. Did not think it went the first
>> time.
>>

>That's okay. I am wondering, what is her story? How did you get her?

Sorry it took so long to reply.

I had been feeding her for a while but could not get near her. Then
she got pregnant and when time came to have them she decided to take
up residence in our garage. We shut her in and left car outside so
she could have her babies and not be bothered. She had 4.

Once she had them and they were old enough we let the kittens come in
house at feeding time to socialize them so we could find them homes
and mama came along to keep an eye on them but still would not get
close.

We found homes for babies and kept mama in til we cold get her fixed.
After her surgery we kept her in the house (Not gararage) so she could
heal. Over time she decided we were ok but she has never become
overly friendly. At the time vet said she was about 4 years old.

After healing we planned on letting her be an indoor / outdoor cat if
she wanted. First time we went to let her out after having babies and
surgery it was the middle of winter. She looked out the door then
turned around and went back to "her" chair she had claimed and curled
up and went to sleep.

She is about 19 years old now and a strictly an indoor cat. Back when
we would let her out if wanted but she would always come right back
in. Now she does not ever try to go out or even go to the door.

Granby
July 29th 09, 02:16 PM
Smart Kitty, she knows when she is well off. It is nice when some of them
can be saved.
"kraut3852" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:17:43 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"kraut3852" > wrote in message

>>> Sorry. Did not mean to post twice. Did not think it went the first
>>> time.
>>>

>>That's okay. I am wondering, what is her story? How did you get her?
>>

> Sorry it took so long to reply.
>
> I had been feeding her for a while but could not get near her. Then
> she got pregnant and when time came to have them she decided to take
> up residence in our garage. We shut her in and left car outside so
> she could have her babies and not be bothered. She had 4.
>
> Once she had them and they were old enough we let the kittens come in
> house at feeding time to socialize them so we could find them homes
> and mama came along to keep an eye on them but still would not get
> close.
>
> We found homes for babies and kept mama in til we cold get her fixed.
> After her surgery we kept her in the house (Not gararage) so she could
> heal. Over time she decided we were ok but she has never become
> overly friendly. At the time vet said she was about 4 years old.
>
> After healing we planned on letting her be an indoor / outdoor cat if
> she wanted. First time we went to let her out after having babies and
> surgery it was the middle of winter. She looked out the door then
> turned around and went back to "her" chair she had claimed and curled
> up and went to sleep.
>
> She is about 19 years old now and a strictly an indoor cat. Back when
> we would let her out if wanted but she would always come right back
> in. Now she does not ever try to go out or even go to the door.

cybercat
July 29th 09, 08:20 PM
"kraut3852" > wrote

> She is about 19 years old now and a strictly an indoor cat. Back when
> we would let her out if wanted but she would always come right back
> in. Now she does not ever try to go out or even go to the door.

From your description of her reaction to having her claws trimmed, I
suspected she was semi-wild. Bless you for taking her as your own.

kraut3852
July 29th 09, 11:41 PM
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:20:31 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>> She is about 19 years old now and a strictly an indoor cat. Back when
>> we would let her out if wanted but she would always come right back
>> in. Now she does not ever try to go out or even go to the door.
>>

>From your description of her reaction to having her claws trimmed, I
>suspected she was semi-wild. Bless you for taking her as your own.

She was my first baby and we have a special connection.

Back then we had another 17 year old cat that just wanted to be left
alone but then Kitty was young and always wanted to play. Well the 17
years old Moses got sick and the wife always blamed Kitty because
Kitty was always after Moses. Come to find out Moses had medical
problem and we ended up having to be put down.

I guess Kitty picked up on how the wife felt and would not go near her
but would always come when she seen me or heard my voice. She was my
baby.

Well when me and the wife split and I moved out I went there one day
when she was gone and put her in a carrier and took her. I have had
her ever since. The ex never tryed to get her back or complained
about me taking Kitty so I guess that shows how much she cared about
her. I do not know what I will do when her time to go to the bridge
comes. Being about 19 I dread even thinking about it.

Granby
July 30th 09, 04:23 AM
My friend, you will do as we all do, what is right for the kitty then, mourn
your loss. I have missed animals before but I mourn for Sadie dog because
her being put down was because of human cruelty. After she relaxed in
sleep, the vet determined that every bone in her body had been broken at
least once, No wonder she hated most people.
"kraut3852" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:20:31 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>> She is about 19 years old now and a strictly an indoor cat. Back when
>>> we would let her out if wanted but she would always come right back
>>> in. Now she does not ever try to go out or even go to the door.
>>>

>>From your description of her reaction to having her claws trimmed, I
>>suspected she was semi-wild. Bless you for taking her as your own.
>>

> She was my first baby and we have a special connection.
>
> Back then we had another 17 year old cat that just wanted to be left
> alone but then Kitty was young and always wanted to play. Well the 17
> years old Moses got sick and the wife always blamed Kitty because
> Kitty was always after Moses. Come to find out Moses had medical
> problem and we ended up having to be put down.
>
> I guess Kitty picked up on how the wife felt and would not go near her
> but would always come when she seen me or heard my voice. She was my
> baby.
>
> Well when me and the wife split and I moved out I went there one day
> when she was gone and put her in a carrier and took her. I have had
> her ever since. The ex never tryed to get her back or complained
> about me taking Kitty so I guess that shows how much she cared about
> her. I do not know what I will do when her time to go to the bridge
> comes. Being about 19 I dread even thinking about it.

dgk
July 31st 09, 02:17 PM
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:06:54 -0400, "desgnr" >
wrote:

>My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
>Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

I rarely cut my cats claws. Sometimes, if the Significant Other
insists, but usually not. They have quite a few scratching posts and
various other scratching items. They love carving their initials into
the legs of the redwood table in my (fenced in) backyard. The legs
were once squareish but have now acquired a distinctive gentle curve.
Most people need to pay extra for something like that but it's just
one of the many benefits of having cats.

When I do get orders from the SO, I generally pet them when they're
sleeping so they start to wake up, and get a few done before they
become fully conscious. Less bloodshed (mine) that way.

cybercat
July 31st 09, 04:38 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:06:54 -0400, "desgnr" >
> wrote:
>
>>My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>
>>Any sugestions how to get the job done ?
>>

> I rarely cut my cats claws. Sometimes, if the Significant Other
> insists, but usually not. They have quite a few scratching posts and
> various other scratching items. They love carving their initials into
> the legs of the redwood table in my (fenced in) backyard.

Gracie needs hers cut, though she has lots of good scratchers and uses them.
The reason is, when they are long they get caught in things, like when she
is making biscuits on her faux lambswool window shelf or playing kitty
caterpillar on the rug, you know, stretching out on her side and pulling
herself along. :)

CatEyes
August 12th 09, 10:12 PM
"desgnr" > wrote in message
> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>
> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?

My Sammy used to be the WORST when it came to mani-pedis. I never finished
with less than 4 or 5 slashes and a couple of bites - most of the time
requiring antibiotics. Trying to tackle the Samazon was like messing with a
lion - that girl is BIG
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie17/100_0087.jpg - that's her
on the right and my "normal-sized" Jessie on the left).

Then I just stopped fighting her. I'd sit her in my lap and cuddle her and
praise her and say the word "treats" a lot. Crooning, "Sammy's mommy's GOOD
girlie and she's going to get some TREATS!" - while clipping just ONE nail.
After that she got lots of treats and praises. Kept that up for about a
month and slowly went to two nails clipped. Lather, rinse, repeat. Half a
year later and as soon as she hears the words treats she comes running into
the room to get her mani-pedi.

Take you time and have a lot of patience and she'll come around eventually.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
August 13th 09, 01:23 AM
"CatEyes" > wrote in message
> "desgnr" > wrote in message
>> My CC won't let me cut her nails,she hisses & tries to bite me.
>>
>> Any sugestions how to get the job done ?
>>

> My Sammy used to be the WORST when it came to mani-pedis.

Okay, this is hilarious, and the first time I've heard anyone use this term
for a cat. :)

s52908157881
August 20th 09, 07:12 PM
bnbm (http://bnbm.xevaa.com/)cvrer (http://cvrer.xevaa.com/)cvnbn (http://cvnbn.xevaa.com/)vbgne (http://vbgne.xevaa.com/)