PDA

View Full Version : how many meals?

barb
July 24th 09, 03:56 PM
How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
great check-ups.

Barb

Rene S
July 24th 09, 04:52 PM
Two meals per day, about 12 hours apart. After 20 minutes or so, I
take away the plates and no food until next meal (though they are
almost always empty). I feed wet (canned and raw), NO dry.

Calvin
July 24th 09, 05:40 PM
On Jul 24, 11:52*am, Rene S > wrote:
> Two meals per day, about 12 hours apart. After 20 minutes or so, I
> take away the plates and no food until next meal (though they are
> almost always empty). I feed wet (canned and raw), NO dry.

Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

MaryL
July 24th 09, 05:55 PM
"calvin" > wrote in message
On Jul 24, 11:52 am, Rene S > wrote:
> Two meals per day, about 12 hours apart. After 20 minutes or so, I
> take away the plates and no food until next meal (though they are
> almost always empty). I feed wet (canned and raw), NO dry.

Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should not
have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

Mine get Wellness canned food twice a day, 12 hours apart. They also get
occasional treats, but they are healthy treats that the cats also
love--their favorite is chicken Liv-A-Littles (freeze dried chicken).

MaryL

Calvin
July 24th 09, 07:21 PM
On Jul 24, 12:55*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "calvin" > wrote in message
> Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
> dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. *Also they
> (seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
> whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
> daily. *I'm spoiling them? *You bet, and we all love it.
>
> The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. *Cats should not
> have carbs. *There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
> problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.

MaryL
July 24th 09, 10:18 PM
wrote:
> "calvin" > wrote in message
> Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
> dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
> (seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
> whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
> daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.
>
> The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should
> not
> have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
> problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A cat
that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.

MaryL

Linda Boucher
July 24th 09, 10:29 PM
Hi
my cat get feed 5 times a day..
plus I give her dry food when I get up at night
to go to the bathroom

> How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
> interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
> 5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
> great check-ups.
>
> Barb

Stan Brown
July 24th 09, 11:06 PM
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:56:55 -0400 from Barb >:

> How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
> interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
> 5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
> great check-ups.

I feed mine in the morning.

But really it's highly individual. Some like to graze throughout the
day and don't overeat; others either prefer one or two meals or can't
be trusted if the food is constantly available.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

chatnoir
July 24th 09, 11:11 PM
On Jul 24, 2:18*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "calvin" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>
> > "calvin" > wrote in message
> > Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
> > dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
> > (seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
> > whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
> > daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.
>
> > The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should
> > not
> > have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health
> > problems in cats that are fed dry food.
>
> My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
> The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
> want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
> stretch between supper and breakfast.
>
> What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
> a day plus 'elevensies'.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? *A cat
> that munches all day could easily become a overweight. *Twice a day is
> considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.
>
> MaryL

If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
food out!

MaryL
July 24th 09, 11:54 PM
wrote:
> "calvin" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>
> > "calvin" > wrote in message
> > Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
> > dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
> > (seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
> > whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
> > daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.
>
> > The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should
> > not
> > have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other
> > health
> > problems in cats that are fed dry food.
>
> My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
> The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
> want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
> stretch between supper and breakfast.
>
> What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
> a day plus 'elevensies'.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A
> cat
> that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
> considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.
>
> MaryL

If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
food out!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I have
used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes more
than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available to
observe and take action.

MaryL

cyberpurrs
July 25th 09, 12:11 AM
"Barb" > wrote in message
> How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
> interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
> 5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
> great check-ups.

Two meals, twelve hours apart.

Wayne Mitchell
July 25th 09, 02:08 AM
"Barb" > wrote:

>How many times a day do you all feed your cats?

Four. I have one who has always tended to regurgitate if I don't keep
the meals quite small.
--

Wayne M.

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 04:46 AM
On Jul 24, 3:54*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "calvin" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "calvin" > wrote in message
> > > Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
> > > dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
> > > (seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
> > > whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
> > > daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.
>
> > > The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats should
> > > not
> > > have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other
> > > health
> > > problems in cats that are fed dry food.
>
> > My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
> > The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
> > want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
> > stretch between supper and breakfast.
>
> > What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
> > a day plus 'elevensies'.
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A
> > cat
> > that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
> > considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between..
>
> > MaryL
>
> If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
> food out!
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Wrong! *I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. *She had
> fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. *I have
> used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes more
> than once a year). *I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. *It
> doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
> occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available to
> observe and take action.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

A monied one!

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 04:46 AM
On Jul 24, 2:29*pm, "Linda Boucher" > wrote:
> Hi
> my cat get feed *5 times a day..
> plus I give her dry food when I get up at night
> to go to the bathroom

Some eat too much - Most do not!

> > How many times a day do you all feed your cats? *My cats seem to be less
> > interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. *They get a
> > 5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. *They are 6 and 2, very active and have
> > great check-ups.
>
> > Barb- Hide quoted text -

MaryL
July 25th 09, 05:12 AM
wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "calvin" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "calvin" > wrote in message
> > > Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
> > > dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
> > > (seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
> > > whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
> > > daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.
>
> > > The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats
> > > should
> > > not
> > > have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other
> > > health
> > > problems in cats that are fed dry food.
>
> > My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
> > The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
> > want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
> > stretch between supper and breakfast.
>
> > What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
> > a day plus 'elevensies'.
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A
> > cat
> > that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
> > considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.
>
> > MaryL
>
> If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
> food out!
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
> fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
> have
> used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes more
> than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
> doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
> occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available to
> observe and take action.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

A monied one!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever I
have is based on a working history of 42 years.

MaryL

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 09:56 AM
On Jul 24, 9:12*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "calvin" > wrote in message

> > > My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
> > > The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
> > > want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
> > > stretch between supper and breakfast.
>
> > > What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
> > > a day plus 'elevensies'.
>
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > > Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out? A
> > > cat
> > > that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
> > > considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch in-between.
>
> > > MaryL
>
> > If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
> > food out!
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
> > fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
> > have
> > used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes more
> > than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
> > doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
> > occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available to
> > observe and take action.
>
> > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> A monied one!
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? *Whatever I
> have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Nope! I know the costs and what I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmc
July 25th 09, 12:09 PM
Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):

> "chatnoir" > wrote in message
> On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>> "chatnoir" > wrote in message
>> If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
>> food out!
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
>> fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
>> have
>> used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes more
>> than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
>> doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
>> occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one
>> available to
>> observe and take action.
>>
>> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> A monied one!
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever
> I have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> MaryL

I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. And
some of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house
when we're not around (that's us).

Meep goes to a boarding place if we're gone more than a night or two,
and that gets expensive fast as well. We just simply take her with us,
when we can. She's not nicknamed "The TravelCat" for nothing :)

jmc

Granby
July 25th 09, 12:17 PM
Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
town. You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
titles. Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
Queen. They are people who know your animals.

This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is, say
a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue, or tell the fireman
there are critters in the house. In the two fires since I been here, all
the cats, and a dog were rescued.

You do what you have to do to take care of your furry friends.
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):
>>
>> "chatnoir" > wrote in message
>> On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
>> wrote:
>>> "chatnoir" > wrote in message
>>> If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
>>> food out!
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>
>>> Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
>>> fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
>>> have
>>> used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes
>>> more
>>> than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
>>> doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
>>> occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available
>>> observe and take action.
>>>
>>> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

>> A monied one!
>>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever
>> I have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
> for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. And some
> of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house when
> we're not around (that's us).
>
> Meep goes to a boarding place if we're gone more than a night or two, and
> that gets expensive fast as well. We just simply take her with us, when
> we can. She's not nicknamed "The TravelCat" for nothing :)
>
> jmc

it's Hadrian
July 25th 09, 01:13 PM
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:56:55 -0400, "Barb" >
wrote:

>How many times a day do you all feed your cats? My cats seem to be less
>interested in breakfast but down their dinner with no problem. They get a
>5.5 oz can per meal and some dry. They are 6 and 2, very active and have
>great check-ups.
>
>Barb

Hello,
My two toms can eat whatever they want. In the living room there are
three kinds of dry Hill's or Iams food and water. Same in an other
room. At 09:45 in the morning I open a small can and divede it in two,
but their interest is more in dry food.
Well, they are not getting too fat and have the ideal weight 6kg = +/-
13 Lbs each. One is four years old and the other, a cat a took home
from Istanbul, is turning 13.
Hadrian
it's Hadrian

MaryL
July 25th 09, 01:57 PM
wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "calvin" > wrote in message

> > > My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
> > > The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
> > > want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
> > > stretch between supper and breakfast.
>
> > > What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
> > > a day plus 'elevensies'.
>
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > > Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out?
> > > cat
> > > that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
> > > considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch
> > > in-between.
>
> > > MaryL
>
> > If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
> > food out!
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
> > fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
> > have
> > used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes
> > more
> > than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
> > doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
> > occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available
> > observe and take action.
>
> > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> A monied one!
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever I
> have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Nope! I know the costs and what I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Well, you certainly made an incorrect and unjustified assessment when you
called me "a monied one."

I wonder how many people would find it acceptable to leave their children
unattended and say it is alright if they just leave some food out for them.
Clearly, none of use would do that, and my two cats are my furbabies. On
the other hand, I fully understand problems that arise when money is not
available. I went through many years of that, but it does not have to cost
anything to have someone check on your cats when you are gone. I use a
professional pet sitter now. That certainly does have cost involved, but if
you were to go back many years in my life to the era when I was a graduate
assistant, I was literally living on poverty income. I *still* would never
have left my cat to fend for himself when I was gone. I worked out
arrangements with a reliable neighbor, and we took turns checking on each
other (and feeding cats) if we had to be out of town. When my cat became
ill, I worked out a monthly pay plan to pay for veterinarian fees. I could
not afford a car at that time, so I took my cat in a carrier on the bus and
then walked several blocks to get him to the vet. But I did not use my lack
of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his care.
In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
having someone check on them.

MaryL

MaryL
July 25th 09, 02:01 PM
That's fine, and that's what I also used to do. I also used to travel with
my cat when I only had one. The point is, *someone* should check on our
cats when we are gone. The person I use now is a pet sitter--it is her job,
her source of income, not a title I conferred on her. When I was a student,
I used to trade off with a neighbor, and each of us would look in on the
other's cats. I was responding to someone who seemed to think it is alright
to leave them unattended as long as dry food is out. That would mean that
there is no one to take action if an emergency should arise.

MaryL

"Granby" > wrote in message
> Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
> town. You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
> titles. Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
> Queen. They are people who know your animals.
>
> This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is,
> say a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue, or tell the
> fireman there are critters in the house. In the two fires since I been
> here, all the cats, and a dog were rescued.
>
> You do what you have to do to take care of your furry friends.
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):
>>>
>>> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

>>> A monied one!
>>>
>>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>>
>>> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever
>>> I have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>

>> I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
>> for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. And some
>> of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house when
>> we're not around (that's us).
>>
>> Meep goes to a boarding place if we're gone more than a night or two, and
>> that gets expensive fast as well. We just simply take her with us, when
>> we can. She's not nicknamed "The TravelCat" for nothing :)
>>
>> jmc

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 02:54 PM
On Jul 25, 5:57*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 9:12 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > > If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
> > > food out!
>
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > > Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
> > > fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
> > > have
> > > used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes
> > > more
> > > than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
> > > doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
> > > occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available
> > > observe and take action.
>
> > > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> > A monied one!
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever I
> > have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> Nope! *I know the costs and what I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Well, you certainly made an incorrect and unjustified assessment when you
> called me "a monied one."
>
> I wonder how many people would find it acceptable to leave their children
> unattended and say it is alright if they just leave some food out for them.
> Clearly, none of use would do that, and my two cats are my furbabies. *On
> the other hand, I fully understand problems that arise when money is not
> available. *I went through many years of that, but it does not have to cost
> anything to have someone check on your cats when you are gone. *I use a
> professional pet sitter now. *That certainly does have cost involved, but if
> you were to go back many years in my life to the era when I was a graduate
> assistant, I was literally living on poverty income. *I *still* would never
> have left my cat to fend for himself when I was gone. *I worked out
> arrangements with a reliable neighbor, and we took turns checking on each
> other (and feeding cats) if we had to be out of town. *When my cat became
> ill, I worked out a monthly pay plan to pay for veterinarian fees. *I could
> not afford a car at that time, so I took my cat in a carrier on the bus and
> then walked several blocks to get him to the vet. *But I did not use my lack
> of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his care.
> In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
> having someone check on them.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Let me see! Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
popping out of the sockets! One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! Have
to buy expensive restricted diet foods! Two years ago, I spent over
6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy> Lady you have no idea!

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 02:56 PM
On Jul 25, 4:17*am, "Granby" > wrote:
> Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
> town. *You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
> titles. *Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
> Queen. *They are people who know your animals.
>
> This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is, say
> a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue, or tell the fireman
> there are critters in the house. *In the two fires since I been here, all
> the cats, and a dog were rescued.

I live in an area where if there is a fire, they come over to see what
they can loot!

> You do what you have to do to take care of your furry friends."jmc" > wrote in message

> > Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):
>
> >> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> >> A monied one!
>
> >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> >> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? *Whatever
> >> I have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> >> MaryL
>
> > I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
> > for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. *And some
> > of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house when
> > we're not around (that's us).
>
> > Meep goes to a boarding place if we're gone more than a night or two, and
> > that gets expensive fast as well. *We just simply take her with us, when
> > we can. She's not nicknamed "The TravelCat" for nothing :)
>
> > jmc- Hide quoted text -

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 02:58 PM
On Jul 25, 4:17*am, "Granby" > wrote:
> Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
> town. *You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
> titles. *Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
> Queen. *They are people who know your animals.
>
> This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is, say
> a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue

We have a neighborhood watch in our neighborhood! When you leave,
they are watching and call up their buddies! They say, we are in! We
can use Fred's yard to croos into the neighbor's and take what we want
before he gets home! That is our neighborhood watch!

, or tell the fireman
> there are critters in the house. *In the two fires since I been here, all
> the cats, and a dog were rescued.
>
> You do what you have to do to take care of your furry friends."jmc" > wrote in message

> > Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):
>
> >> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> >> A monied one!
>
> >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> >> You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? *Whatever
> >> I have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> >> MaryL
>
> > I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
> > for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. *And some
> > of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house when
> > we're not around (that's us).
>
> > Meep goes to a boarding place if we're gone more than a night or two, and
> > that gets expensive fast as well. *We just simply take her with us, when
> > we can. She's not nicknamed "The TravelCat" for nothing :)
>
> > jmc- Hide quoted text -

MaryL
July 25th 09, 03:08 PM
wrote:
> [...]
> not afford a car at that time, so I took my cat in a carrier on the bus
> and
> then walked several blocks to get him to the vet. But I did not use my
> lack
> of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his
> care.
> In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
> having someone check on them.
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Let me see! Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
popping out of the sockets! One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! Have
to buy expensive restricted diet foods! Two years ago, I spent over
6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic

And all this came up because I said that a cat should not be left alone, and
you responded by calling me "the monied one" because I use a pet sitter???

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Sheesh!

MaryL

barb
July 25th 09, 05:36 PM
Well, from the looks of all the posts, I'm not over-feeding the cats. The
point is they do so much grazing that the canned food seems to sit out too
long before it is finally eaten. If I were to pull the food away after 15
minutes, most of it would not be eaten. The dry food is just about a
tablespoon full with each meal but given as a choice. Once in a while they
will turn their noses up at a can of food (Nutro Max 5.5 oz) and just want
dry and I will then dump the food.

Thanks for all your responses.

Barb

chatnoir
July 25th 09, 06:56 PM
On Jul 25, 7:08*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Jul 25, 5:57 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>

> > "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 24, 9:12 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> > wrote:
>
> > > "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > > A monied one!
>
> > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > > You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever
> > > have is based on a working history of 42 years.
>
> > > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> > Nope! I know the costs and what I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > Well, you certainly made an incorrect and unjustified assessment when you
> > called me "a monied one."
>
> > I wonder how many people would find it acceptable to leave their children
> > unattended and say it is alright if they just leave some food out for
> > them.
> > Clearly, none of use would do that, and my two cats are my furbabies. On
> > the other hand, I fully understand problems that arise when money is not
> > available. I went through many years of that, but it does not have to cost
> > anything to have someone check on your cats when you are gone. I use a
> > professional pet sitter now. That certainly does have cost involved, but
> > if
> > you were to go back many years in my life to the era when I was a graduate
> > assistant, I was literally living on poverty income. I *still* would never
> > have left my cat to fend for himself when I was gone. I worked out
> > arrangements with a reliable neighbor, and we took turns checking on each
> > other (and feeding cats) if we had to be out of town. When my cat became
> > ill, I worked out a monthly pay plan to pay for veterinarian fees. I could
> > not afford a car at that time, so I took my cat in a carrier on the bus
> > and
> > then walked several blocks to get him to the vet. But I did not use my
> > lack
> > of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his
> > care.
> > In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
> > having someone check on them.
>
> > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> Let me see! *Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
> popping out of the sockets! *One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
> and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! *Have
> to buy expensive restricted diet foods! *Two years ago, I spent over
> 6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic
> cardiomyopathy> *Lady you have no idea!
>
> And all this came up because I said that a cat should not be left alone, and
> you responded by calling me "the monied one" because I use a pet sitter???
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Sheesh!
>
> MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Yep! Your view of course!

cybercat
July 25th 09, 10:00 PM
wrote:
> [...]
> > of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his
> > care.
> > In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day
> > without
> > having someone check on them.
>
> > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> Let me see! Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
> popping out of the sockets! One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
> and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! Have
> to buy expensive restricted diet foods! Two years ago, I spent over
> 6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic
> cardiomyopathy> Lady you have no idea!
>
> And all this came up because I said that a cat should not be left alone,
> and
> you responded by calling me "the monied one" because I use a pet sitter???

You are a jackass. Howdy, jackass.

Kalmia
July 26th 09, 01:14 AM
On Jul 25, 9:01*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> That's fine, and that's what I also used to do. *I also used to travel with
> my cat when I only had one. *The point is, *someone* should check on our
> cats when we are gone. *The person I use now is a pet sitter--it is her job,
> her source of income, not a title I conferred on her. *When I was a student,
> I used to trade off with a neighbor, and each of us would look in on the
> other's cats. *I was responding to someone who seemed to think it is alright
> to leave them unattended as long as dry food is out. *That would mean that
> there is no one to take action if an emergency should arise.
>
> MaryL
>
> "Granby" > wrote in message

> > Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
> > town. *You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
> > titles. *Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
> > Queen. *They are people who know your animals.
>
> > This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is,
> > say a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue, or tell the
> > fireman there are critters in the house. *In the two fires since I been
> > here, all the cats, and a dog were rescued.
>
> > You do what you have to do to take care of your furry friends.
> > "jmc" > wrote in message
> >> Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):

> >> I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
> >> for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. *And some
> >> of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house when
> >> we're not around (that's us).

I think it's a question of the amount of TIME left alone.

What is the maximum amount of time you'd leave your cat alone?

I have a good deal with a neighbor - I tend to hers and vice versa
and no money is exchanged. I give her a nice gift at Xmas and that's
it. And I don't expect her to be checking on the cat every hour - she
makes two trips a day and I go two or three to hers.

If I am to be away for a few hours, I certainly don't ask her to come
in. We have keys to each other's houses and use judgment if we notice
the other is overdue home.

MaryL
July 26th 09, 02:10 AM
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
I think it's a question of the amount of TIME left alone.

What is the maximum amount of time you'd leave your cat alone?

I have a good deal with a neighbor - I tend to hers and vice versa
and no money is exchanged. I give her a nice gift at Xmas and that's
it. And I don't expect her to be checking on the cat every hour - she
makes two trips a day and I go two or three to hers.

If I am to be away for a few hours, I certainly don't ask her to come
in. We have keys to each other's houses and use judgment if we notice
the other is overdue home.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would not be concerned about a few hours. In fact, mine are left while I
go to work, as is true for most people. However, I make arrangements
(neighbor or pet sitter) if I am going to be gone for more than a full
(24-hour) day.

MaryL

chatnoir
July 26th 09, 12:42 PM
On Jul 25, 2:00*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> [...]
> > > having someone check on them.
>
> > > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> > Let me see! Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
> > popping out of the sockets! One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
> > and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! Have
> > to buy expensive restricted diet foods! Two years ago, I spent over
> > 6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic
> > cardiomyopathy> Lady you have no idea!
>
> > And all this came up because I said that a cat should not be left alone,
> > and
> > you responded by calling me "the monied one" because I use a pet sitter???
>
> > - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> > Sheesh!
>
> > MaryL- Hide quoted text -

> >Yep! *Your view of course!
>
> You are a jackass. Howdy, jackass.- Hide quoted text -

So are you!

Rene S
July 27th 09, 04:39 PM
> In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
> having someone check on them.
>
> MaryL

I agree with MaryL here. I would NEVER leave our cats alone for more
than 12 hours without someone to check on them. I have friends who
could pop in and check on them, but two of our cats are on medications
and I can't rely on friends to give the meds (or they aren't
comfortable giving meds). I also hire a pet sitter to come in twice
per day.

Yes, this costs money, but we take this into consideration when we
travel (which isn't often lately).

Also, problems can come up in a short period of time! I once took care
of a co-worker's two cats. Upon my first visit to their house, one of
his cats had developed a nasty eye infection, which required a vet
visit and medication. You just never know what might happen!