PDA

View Full Version : My cat is "thinking outside the box"

James Egan[_2_]
July 26th 09, 06:42 PM
I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
all around the house. He seemed lethargic, so I took him to the Vet,
thinking that he had a urinary tract infection. They gave him a 2-week
injection of anti-biotic. After two weeks, he was still pooping and
peeing all over. So, I got some Batryl from the Vet, and have been
giving him that for a week now. I've had him confined in the utility
room for several days, where he has been peeing in the litter box. So
Saturday, I cleaned the entire downstairs carpets very well, and left him
in the utility room one more night. Sunday morning we left him out, went
out shopping, and when we returned, he was laying on top of my son's toy
box with a load of poop about 2 feet from him. So, back in the utility
room he went.

The Vet assistant said that sometimes these infections can take weeks to
subside. The Vet herself said that if the problem doesn't subside soon,
then we can take x-rays, and perform some tests to see if we can pinpoint
the cause. But here's a couple of questions I have concerning this:

1. Can a urinary tract infection case a male cat to poop outside the box?

2. I know cat's love the heat, especially my Chip who lays in the hot bay
window with the sun beating on him But what's a realistic "high"
temperature to keep him at? The reason I ask is that the utility room
gets a bit warm.

-Thanks

cybercat
July 26th 09, 06:57 PM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
>I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
> all around the house.

He's trying to tell you something. What has changed around your house? How
old is your son?

James Egan[_2_]
July 26th 09, 11:46 PM
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:57:27 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "James Egan" > wrote in message
>>I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
>> all around the house.
>

> He's trying to tell you something. What has changed around your house?
> How old is your son?

My son is over 4 months old, so it's nothing to do with him. One thing
that is different is that I had the Vet (and about two assistants) give
my cat a trim, because he had matted fur in places, mostly on his
stomach, where I couldn't brush. He really didn't take it too well, and
I felt so bad for him, listening to him yelling in the next room. Next
time I'm going to have him knocked out before doing anything like that!
Plus they can work on his teeth at that time too.

But nothing has changed recently. He definitely seemed like he had a
urinary tract infection, and he was very lethargic, until we started him
on the anti-biotics. He seems much better now, but still, pooped outside
the box.

MaryL
July 27th 09, 12:37 AM
"James Egan" > wrote in message
>I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
> all around the house. He seemed lethargic, so I took him to the Vet,
> thinking that he had a urinary tract infection. They gave him a 2-week
> injection of anti-biotic. After two weeks, he was still pooping and
> peeing all over. So, I got some Batryl from the Vet, and have been
> giving him that for a week now. I've had him confined in the utility
> room for several days, where he has been peeing in the litter box. So
> Saturday, I cleaned the entire downstairs carpets very well, and left him
> in the utility room one more night. Sunday morning we left him out, went
> out shopping, and when we returned, he was laying on top of my son's toy
> box with a load of poop about 2 feet from him. So, back in the utility
> room he went.
>
> -Thanks

Have you tried a different type of litter? Sometimes, something as litter
can cause a difference. Or if you have *not* changed litter, then perhaps
that would be something to try--something very soft because of his age. And
the actual litter box? Does he have any difficulty/awkwardness getting into
or out of it?

MaryL

James Egan[_2_]
July 27th 09, 02:46 AM
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:37:52 -0500, MaryL wrote:
> Have you tried a different type of litter? Sometimes, something as
> litter can cause a difference. Or if you have *not* changed litter,
> then perhaps that would be something to try--something very soft because
> of his age. And the actual litter box? Does he have any
> difficulty/awkwardness getting into or out of it?
>
> MaryL

I'm aware that some cats may dislike certain types of litter. But that's
not the problem -- He goes inside the box when I keep him in the utility
room. He did his duty in the box for about 2 days while in the utility
room, I cleaned the carpets, let him out, came home, and there was poop
in the living room. I even put a second litter box in the garage, and he
didn't even make an attempt to use it.

cyberpurrs
July 27th 09, 04:20 AM
"James Egan" > wrote
> I'm aware that some cats may dislike certain types of litter. But that's
> not the problem -- He goes inside the box when I keep him in the utility
> room. He did his duty in the box for about 2 days while in the utility
> room, I cleaned the carpets, let him out, came home, and there was poop
> in the living room. I even put a second litter box in the garage, and he
> didn't even make an attempt to use it.

He is TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING.

Granby
July 27th 09, 04:52 AM
He is trying to tell you something. Did the vet do any other tests?
"James Egan" > wrote in message
>I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
> all around the house. He seemed lethargic, so I took him to the Vet,
> thinking that he had a urinary tract infection. They gave him a 2-week
> injection of anti-biotic. After two weeks, he was still pooping and
> peeing all over. So, I got some Batryl from the Vet, and have been
> giving him that for a week now. I've had him confined in the utility
> room for several days, where he has been peeing in the litter box. So
> Saturday, I cleaned the entire downstairs carpets very well, and left him
> in the utility room one more night. Sunday morning we left him out, went
> out shopping, and when we returned, he was laying on top of my son's toy
> box with a load of poop about 2 feet from him. So, back in the utility
> room he went.
>
> The Vet assistant said that sometimes these infections can take weeks to
> subside. The Vet herself said that if the problem doesn't subside soon,
> then we can take x-rays, and perform some tests to see if we can pinpoint
> the cause. But here's a couple of questions I have concerning this:
>
> 1. Can a urinary tract infection case a male cat to poop outside the box?
>
> 2. I know cat's love the heat, especially my Chip who lays in the hot bay
> window with the sun beating on him But what's a realistic "high"
> temperature to keep him at? The reason I ask is that the utility room
> gets a bit warm.
>
> -Thanks

Netmask
July 27th 09, 07:51 AM
James Egan wrote:
> I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
> all around the house. He seemed lethargic, so I took him to the Vet,
> thinking that he had a urinary tract infection. They gave him a 2-week
> injection of anti-biotic. After two weeks, he was still pooping and
> peeing all over. So, I got some Batryl from the Vet, and have been
> giving him that for a week now. I've had him confined in the utility
> room for several days, where he has been peeing in the litter box. So
> Saturday, I cleaned the entire downstairs carpets very well, and left him
> in the utility room one more night. Sunday morning we left him out, went
> out shopping, and when we returned, he was laying on top of my son's toy
> box with a load of poop about 2 feet from him. So, back in the utility
> room he went.
>
> The Vet assistant said that sometimes these infections can take weeks to
> subside. The Vet herself said that if the problem doesn't subside soon,
> then we can take x-rays, and perform some tests to see if we can pinpoint
> the cause. But here's a couple of questions I have concerning this:
>
> 1. Can a urinary tract infection case a male cat to poop outside the box?
>
> 2. I know cat's love the heat, especially my Chip who lays in the hot bay
> window with the sun beating on him But what's a realistic "high"
> temperature to keep him at? The reason I ask is that the utility room
> gets a bit warm.
>
> -Thanks

Rene S
July 27th 09, 02:53 PM
> I'm aware that some cats may dislike certain types of litter. *But that's
> not the problem -- He goes inside the box when I keep him in the utility
> room. *He did his duty in the box for about 2 days while in the utility
> room, I cleaned the carpets, let him out, came home, and there was poop
> in the living room. *I even put a second litter box in the garage, and he
> didn't even make an attempt to use it.

IMO, I would add another box in the living room, near where he has
gone recently. I realize that this may not be an ideal place for a
litter box, but it's worth a try to see if it solves the problem (and
it sure beats cleaning the carpets). I would also add another low-
sided box. It's possible he finds it difficult to get in and out of
the box due to arthritis or joint pain.

sudee
July 27th 09, 11:41 PM
On Jul 27, 8:57*am, Confused > wrote:
> I can't add anymore than what people have been posting, but I wanted to
> say your subject line is hilarious and witty. *:-)

I have to repeat when a cat, regardless of age, goes "outside the box"
they are telling you something is wrong. They are 1) SICK; 2) ****ed
off. It usually one of those two reasons. With him being 17 I would
venture to say he may be ill, but he could also be cranky about the
baby, who knows, especially pooping in his room.

Good luck, poor guy, it is frustrating to you but also to him!

Sue -- Firefighter mom, Still Rabid UW Dawg fan!!

Michelle C.
August 4th 09, 08:12 PM
James Egan wrote:
> I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
> all around the house. He seemed lethargic, so I took him to the Vet,
> thinking that he had a urinary tract infection. They gave him a 2-week
> injection of anti-biotic. After two weeks, he was still pooping and
> peeing all over. So, I got some Batryl from the Vet, and have been
> giving him that for a week now. I've had him confined in the utility
> room for several days, where he has been peeing in the litter box. So
> Saturday, I cleaned the entire downstairs carpets very well, and left him
> in the utility room one more night. Sunday morning we left him out, went
> out shopping, and when we returned, he was laying on top of my son's toy
> box with a load of poop about 2 feet from him. So, back in the utility
> room he went.
>
> The Vet assistant said that sometimes these infections can take weeks to
> subside. The Vet herself said that if the problem doesn't subside soon,
> then we can take x-rays, and perform some tests to see if we can pinpoint
> the cause. But here's a couple of questions I have concerning this:
>
> 1. Can a urinary tract infection case a male cat to poop outside the box?
>
> 2. I know cat's love the heat, especially my Chip who lays in the hot bay
> window with the sun beating on him But what's a realistic "high"
> temperature to keep him at? The reason I ask is that the utility room
> gets a bit warm.
>
> -Thanks

Could it be that your cat now associates the box with the pain of the
UTI? It may take longer than a couple of days in the utility for him to
lose that association.

Best regards,
Michelle