PDA

View Full Version : Kitten umbilical hernia

Susan \(CobbersMom\)
July 30th 09, 12:40 AM
I've seen plenty of these hernias in puppies, having worked for a vet for
many years (no longer). Now I have a 3 month old kitten with one (born with
it) and it appears to be enlarging slowly. Usually I can push the bowels
back in easily but now its getting a bit more difficult and I don't want a
strangulation situation. By the way, she's acting crazy as usual for a
kitten.
However when reading about the repairs, its always about waiting until the
spay/neuter around 6 months. The articles advise sooner when the hole gets
larger. My question is 'what is larger'? I could easily fit my finger or
thumb (womans hand) into the opening if it were accessible from outside the
cat <g>.
I'm looking for your experiences with these hernias such as size and when it
was repaired.
If necessary, I'll have it fixed soon but would like to wait for her spay
unless I can find a vet close by who will spay her early. She weighs about
2 lbs.
Sue
Minocqua, WI
Yamaha '00 VStar 650
'04 TW200 (mud = fun)
Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937

I'LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM AND MY GUNS.
YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"!

spot
July 30th 09, 04:20 AM
What does your vet want to do? The kitten should be seen by a vet and
the vet should be the one telling you when it needs done.

Celeste

Granby
July 30th 09, 05:33 AM
The first thing I would do is take the kitty to a vet and let them decide
what is best. If you think there is a problem, there probably is and that
is where you can get your best information. You said you worked for a vet
at one time, I would think that would answer your question for you.
"Susan (CobbersMom)" > wrote in message
> I've seen plenty of these hernias in puppies, having worked for a vet for
> many years (no longer). Now I have a 3 month old kitten with one (born
> with it) and it appears to be enlarging slowly. Usually I can push the
> bowels back in easily but now its getting a bit more difficult and I don't
> want a strangulation situation. By the way, she's acting crazy as usual
> for a kitten.
> However when reading about the repairs, its always about waiting until the
> spay/neuter around 6 months. The articles advise sooner when the hole
> gets larger. My question is 'what is larger'? I could easily fit my
> finger or thumb (womans hand) into the opening if it were accessible from
> outside the cat <g>.
> I'm looking for your experiences with these hernias such as size and when
> it was repaired.
> If necessary, I'll have it fixed soon but would like to wait for her spay
> unless I can find a vet close by who will spay her early. She weighs
> about 2 lbs.
> Sue
> Minocqua, WI
> Yamaha '00 VStar 650
> '04 TW200 (mud = fun)
> Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937
>
> I'LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM AND MY GUNS.
> YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"!

Matthew[_3_]
July 30th 09, 05:36 AM
Umm VET NOW

Why do you have to ask

"Susan (CobbersMom)" > wrote in message
> I've seen plenty of these hernias in puppies, having worked for a vet for
> many years (no longer). Now I have a 3 month old kitten with one (born
> with it) and it appears to be enlarging slowly. Usually I can push the
> bowels back in easily but now its getting a bit more difficult and I don't
> want a strangulation situation. By the way, she's acting crazy as usual
> for a kitten.
> However when reading about the repairs, its always about waiting until the
> spay/neuter around 6 months. The articles advise sooner when the hole
> gets larger. My question is 'what is larger'? I could easily fit my
> finger or thumb (womans hand) into the opening if it were accessible from
> outside the cat <g>.
> I'm looking for your experiences with these hernias such as size and when
> it was repaired.
> If necessary, I'll have it fixed soon but would like to wait for her spay
> unless I can find a vet close by who will spay her early. She weighs
> about 2 lbs.
> Sue
> Minocqua, WI
> Yamaha '00 VStar 650
> '04 TW200 (mud = fun)
> Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937
>
> I'LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM AND MY GUNS.
> YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"!

Gandalf
July 31st 09, 04:09 AM
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 23:40:31 GMT, "Susan \(CobbersMom\)"
> wrote:

>I've seen plenty of these hernias in puppies, having worked for a vet for
>many years (no longer). Now I have a 3 month old kitten with one (born with
>it) and it appears to be enlarging slowly. Usually I can push the bowels
>back in easily but now its getting a bit more difficult and I don't want a
>strangulation situation. By the way, she's acting crazy as usual for a
>kitten.
>However when reading about the repairs, its always about waiting until the
>spay/neuter around 6 months. The articles advise sooner when the hole gets
>larger. My question is 'what is larger'? I could easily fit my finger or
>thumb (womans hand) into the opening if it were accessible from outside the
>cat <g>.
>I'm looking for your experiences with these hernias such as size and when it
>was repaired.
>If necessary, I'll have it fixed soon but would like to wait for her spay
>unless I can find a vet close by who will spay her early. She weighs about
>2 lbs.
>Sue
>Minocqua, WI
>Yamaha '00 VStar 650
> '04 TW200 (mud = fun)
>Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937
>
>I'LL KEEP MY MONEY, MY FREEDOM AND MY GUNS.
>YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"!

It is now quite common for vets to spay/neuter at 12 weeks.

Your cat must be older than that. If you vet doesn't do spays on young
cats, find one who does

When the cat is spayed, the hernia can be easily repaired, for little or
no additional cost: anaesthesia, vet and tech time is already paid for.

But do it ASAP!

cybercat
July 31st 09, 07:48 AM
"spot" > wrote in message
> What does your vet want to do? The kitten should be seen by a vet and the
> vet should be the one telling you when it needs done.

Susan is a moron. Poor cat.