PDA

View Full Version : Wet Food

JP
July 31st 09, 02:13 PM
Our cats seem to like a combination of wet food and dry food. What are
some of the better wet foods widely available that offer good
nutritional value?

Currently they are eating Fancy Feast, which I understand is not the
best wet food by any means.

If anyone knows about this, can you reply?

Thanks...

Rene S
July 31st 09, 04:25 PM
There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
brands have.

MaryL
July 31st 09, 08:57 PM
"Rene S" > wrote in message
> There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
> Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
> Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
> ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
> brands have.

Agreed. This is exactly what I would recommend. Most especially, avoid
anything with grains. Cats do not need carbs and should not have them.
There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other health problems in
cats that are fed a diet of dry food or canned food with grains.

MaryL

Stan Brown
August 1st 09, 01:01 AM
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:57:13 -0500 from MaryL -
OUT-THE-LITTER>:
> "Rene S" > wrote in message
> > [quoted text muted]
> > Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
> > Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
> > ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
> > brands have.

Are you kidding? My vet recommended Wellness and EVO, but they both
stink to high heaven. I put up with it for Milo's sake, but sheesh!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Kalmia
August 2nd 09, 01:09 AM
On Jul 31, 11:25*amdesi, Rene S > wrote:
> There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
> Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
> Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
> ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
> brands have.

If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
variety as opposed to their grain free variety?

jmc
August 2nd 09, 01:18 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (8/1/2009 8:09 PM):
> On Jul 31, 11:25 amdesi, Rene S > wrote:
>> There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
>> Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
>> Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
>> ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
>> brands have.
>
> If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
> variety as opposed to their grain free variety?

Because many cats love carbs/grains, even though they don't need them
and they're not good for them. Kinda like how I'm eating this ice cream
bar right now...

It may have to do with the trend that is my current pet peeve (excuse
the pun): Cat foods marketed with names that sound very tasty to
HUMANS, with veggies in the name. Salmon with Wild Rice, or Tuna with
Steamed Broccoli or somesuch. This just ticks me off. Most enlightened
cat owners know cats do not need carrots, peas, or any other vegetable
to stay healthy. They're marketed purely to appeal to the HUMAN's sense
of "yea that looks tasty". I, personally, avoid them like the plague.

Having more-or-less won the battle to get Meep on 100% wet food, we're
not fighting the battle to turn my "obligate carbivore" back into the
"obligate carnivore" she's supposed to be.

jmc

jmc
August 2nd 09, 01:20 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (8/1/2009 8:09 PM):
> On Jul 31, 11:25 amdesi, Rene S > wrote:
>> There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
>> Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
>> Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
>> ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
>> brands have.
>
> If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
> variety as opposed to their grain free variety?

Oh, I forgot the real reason: cheap way to boost the protein content of
the food. Wrong kind of protein though.

jmc

MaryL
August 2nd 09, 07:17 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (8/1/2009 8:09 PM):
>> On Jul 31, 11:25 amdesi, Rene S > wrote:
>>> There are many opinions on the 'best' wet food. I primarily feed
>>> Wellness wet (the grain free varieties), but also like Innova Evo and
>>> Nature's Variety (wet or raw). All are high quality, use human-grade
>>> ingredients, and don't have the 'stinky' cat food smell that cheaper
>>> brands have.
>>
>> If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
>> variety as opposed to their grain free variety?
>
> Because many cats love carbs/grains, even though they don't need them and
> they're not good for them. Kinda like how I'm eating this ice cream bar
> right now...
>
> It may have to do with the trend that is my current pet peeve (excuse the
> pun): Cat foods marketed with names that sound very tasty to HUMANS, with
> veggies in the name. Salmon with Wild Rice, or Tuna with Steamed Broccoli
> or somesuch. This just ticks me off. Most enlightened cat owners know
> cats do not need carrots, peas, or any other vegetable to stay healthy.
> They're marketed purely to appeal to the HUMAN's sense of "yea that looks
> tasty". I, personally, avoid them like the plague.
>
> Having more-or-less won the battle to get Meep on 100% wet food, we're not
> fighting the battle to turn my "obligate carbivore" back into the
> "obligate carnivore" she's supposed to be.
>
> jmc

Good response. Thanks!

MaryL

Granby
August 2nd 09, 02:21 PM
When taking a break from the hospital yesterday, I took a stroll around my
sons garden, which by the way is getting ready to be put up for the winter.

Anyway, I looked around and there were two cats following me. They sniffed
the green beans, onions, beets and all the rest. There was an ear of corn
on the ground and they nibbled a bit at that then spit it out. I laughed to
myself and wondered who it was that decided that cats needed veggies. About
this time, a mouse ran out of the grape arbor and off went the cats in a
dead run.

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (8/1/2009 8:09 PM):
>>>
>>> If grains are not desirable, then why does Wellness sell a grain
>>> variety as opposed to their grain free variety?
>>
>> Because many cats love carbs/grains, even though they don't need them and
>> they're not good for them. Kinda like how I'm eating this ice cream bar
>> right now...
>>
>> It may have to do with the trend that is my current pet peeve (excuse the
>> pun): Cat foods marketed with names that sound very tasty to HUMANS,
>> with veggies in the name. Salmon with Wild Rice, or Tuna with Steamed
>> Broccoli or somesuch. This just ticks me off. Most enlightened cat
>> owners know cats do not need carrots, peas, or any other vegetable to
>> stay healthy. They're marketed purely to appeal to the HUMAN's sense of
>> "yea that looks tasty". I, personally, avoid them like the plague.
>>
>> Having more-or-less won the battle to get Meep on 100% wet food, we're
>> not fighting the battle to turn my "obligate carbivore" back into the
>> "obligate carnivore" she's supposed to be.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Good response. Thanks!
>
> MaryL

Stan Brown
August 2nd 09, 09:12 PM
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:21:06 -0500 from Granby >:
> I laughed to
> myself and wondered who it was that decided that cats needed veggies.

I don't know about "need", but when I was a kid we had a beautiful
orange female who ate table scraps plus whatever she foraged for
herself. (She was an indoor-outdoor cat, and we had a small farm, so
I'm sure mice and other small mammals were the majority of her diet.)

She loved green beans.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

JP
August 5th 09, 02:02 PM
JP wrote:
> Our cats seem to like a combination of wet food and dry food. What are
> some of the better wet foods widely available that offer good
> nutritional value?
>
> Currently they are eating Fancy Feast, which I understand is not the
> best wet food by any means.
>
> If anyone knows about this, can you reply?
>
> Thanks...

Thanks for the responses. I will try some of them on our cats.