PDA

View Full Version : ISO food to prevent CaOx Uroliths


Lee Green
August 1st 09, 06:14 AM
I recently had a discussion with my veterinarian and we came to the
conclusion my cat should not continue eating prescription food to
prevent calcium oxalate uroliths. We think he may be having an
allergic reaction to the ingredients in all of these available (dry)
foods.

My cat (12 y/o) prefers a diet of both dry and canned food. Could
someone suggest a suitable dry and canned food for him to eat that
won't cause calcium oxalate uroliths to form? The vet said a
supplement could be added to help with the prevention. We think my cat
is allergic to corn, rice, or chicken.

I think most dry and canned foods are formulated more to prevent
struvites. So I'd like to stay away from those foods. The problem is
that these food companies don't provide enough information about the
foods. Additionally, I don't know if I should look for a food with
lower levels of calcium, phosphorus, and/or magnesium.

Any suggestions? BTW, the vet has the final say about the foods. I'm
just supposed to help find something suitable.

Thanks,
Lee

cybercat
August 2nd 09, 12:02 AM
"Lee Green" > wrote in message
...
>I recently had a discussion with my veterinarian and we came to the
> conclusion my cat should not continue eating prescription food to
> prevent calcium oxalate uroliths. We think he may be having an
> allergic reaction to the ingredients in all of these available (dry)
> foods.
>
> My cat (12 y/o) prefers a diet of both dry and canned food. Could
> someone suggest a suitable dry and canned food for him to eat that
> won't cause calcium oxalate uroliths to form? The vet said a
> supplement could be added to help with the prevention. We think my cat
> is allergic to corn, rice, or chicken.
>
> I think most dry and canned foods are formulated more to prevent
> struvites. So I'd like to stay away from those foods. The problem is
> that these food companies don't provide enough information about the
> foods. Additionally, I don't know if I should look for a food with
> lower levels of calcium, phosphorus, and/or magnesium.
>
> Any suggestions? BTW, the vet has the final say about the foods. I'm
> just supposed to help find something suitable.
>
> Thanks,
> Lee

I would like to suggest that you put entirely too much faith in your vet.

Lee Green
August 2nd 09, 05:34 AM
On Aug 1, 6:02*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lee Green" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> >I recently had a discussion with my veterinarian and we came to the
> > conclusion my cat should not continue eating prescription food to
> > prevent calcium oxalate uroliths. We think he may be having an
> > allergic reaction to the ingredients in all of these available (dry)
> > foods.
>
> > My cat (12 y/o) prefers a diet of both dry and canned food. Could
> > someone suggest a suitable dry and canned food for him to eat that
> > won't cause calcium oxalate uroliths to form? The vet said a
> > supplement could be added to help with the prevention. We think my cat
> > is allergic to corn, rice, or chicken.
>
> > I think most dry and canned foods are formulated more to prevent
> > struvites. So I'd like to stay away from those foods. The problem is
> > that these food companies don't provide enough information about the
> > foods. Additionally, I don't know if I should look for a food with
> > lower levels of calcium, phosphorus, and/or magnesium.
>
> > Any suggestions? BTW, the vet has the final say about the foods. I'm
> > just supposed to help find something suitable.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Lee
>
> I would like to suggest that you put entirely too much faith in your vet.



What exactly makes you say that? Is it because he wants to take my cat
off prescription food? I have my concerns as well. But all the
prescription foods have corn, chicken, and rice. Those are the main
suspects in this food allergy. We've already tried three different
prescription foods. The two remaining ones have the same ingredients.

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Do you think I
should get a second opinion?

Gandalf
August 7th 09, 10:16 AM
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 22:14:45 -0700 (PDT), Lee Green >
wrote:

>I recently had a discussion with my veterinarian and we came to the
>conclusion my cat should not continue eating prescription food to
>prevent calcium oxalate uroliths. We think he may be having an
>allergic reaction to the ingredients in all of these available (dry)
>foods.
>
>My cat (12 y/o) prefers a diet of both dry and canned food. Could
>someone suggest a suitable dry and canned food for him to eat that
>won't cause calcium oxalate uroliths to form? The vet said a
>supplement could be added to help with the prevention. We think my cat
>is allergic to corn, rice, or chicken.
>
>I think most dry and canned foods are formulated more to prevent
>struvites. So I'd like to stay away from those foods. The problem is
>that these food companies don't provide enough information about the
>foods. Additionally, I don't know if I should look for a food with
>lower levels of calcium, phosphorus, and/or magnesium.
>
>Any suggestions? BTW, the vet has the final say about the foods. I'm
>just supposed to help find something suitable.
>
>Thanks,
>Lee


It's going to be hard to rind a dry food that doesn't have one of those
three ingredients. Rice is often used in 'hypo allergenic' foods, for
cats that are allergic to corn and/or wheat.

I would bet that you cat is very unlikely to be allergic to chicken.

The most common allergy food allergy is to wheat or wheat gluten