PDA

View Full Version : Question on feedint a cat to avoid cystitis

jmc
August 2nd 09, 01:23 AM
I was just wondering...

Which would be worse for a cystitis kitty:

1) A diet of 100% wet cat food that is not grain-free or

2) A diet of high-quality, animal protein based, grain-free dry food?

Had someone tell me the other day that it's the grains that are more
important to keep out of my cat's diet. I'm not sure I believe that but
thought I'd throw this out for discussion.

jmc

alida
August 2nd 09, 07:45 AM
On 8月2日, 上午8时23分, jmc > wrote:
> I was just wondering...
>
> Which would be worse for a cystitis kitty:
>
> 1) A diet of 100% wet cat food that is not grain-free or
>
> 2) A diet of high-quality, animal protein based, grain-free dry food?
>
> Had someone tell me the other day that it's the grains that are more
> important to keep out of my cat's diet. I'm not sure I believe that but
> thought I'd throw this out for discussion.
>
> jmc

www.bytobyshop.com

---MIKE---
August 2nd 09, 01:56 PM
The most important reason for feeding wet food is that it gets water (70
percent) into the cat. But why feed a wet food that contains grains
when wet food that is grain-free is available?

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

jmc
August 2nd 09, 08:43 PM
Suddenly, without warning, ---MIKE--- exclaimed (8/2/2009 8:56 AM):
> The most important reason for feeding wet food is that it gets water (70
> percent) into the cat. But why feed a wet food that contains grains
> when wet food that is grain-free is available?
>

> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

We're working on that. Currently, she refuses wet food if it has
insufficient carbs. Stupid carbivore <g>. I've found one or two
grain-free varieties that she's shown some interest in, so we're making
a little progress.

jmc

Rene S
August 3rd 09, 07:10 PM
> We're working on that. *Currently, she refuses wet food if it has
> insufficient carbs. *Stupid carbivore <g>. *I've found one or two
> grain-free varieties that she's shown some interest in, so we're making
> a little progress.

Have you tried mixing the two wet foods together (grains and non
grains)? Try a 3:1 ratio (grains to non grains) and very slowly reduce
the amount of the grain wet food.