PDA

View Full Version : tube of cat

Hactar
August 3rd 09, 02:50 AM
I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up to
the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
case?

--
-eben http://royalty.mine.nu:81
"God does not play dice" -- Einstein

calvin
August 3rd 09, 03:44 AM
On Aug 2, 9:50*pm, (Hactar) wrote:
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126

So what happens when the cat rolls it out into traffic?
What a horrible contraption.

Hactar
August 3rd 09, 05:18 AM
In article >,
calvin > wrote:
> On Aug 2, 9:50*pm, (Hactar) wrote:
> > http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
>
> So what happens when the cat rolls it out into traffic?
> What a horrible contraption.

That's their idea, not mine. If I were to use it in the manner
intended, I'd use it in the back yard and it's a long way (as the cat
crawsl) from there to a street. Even once you get to a street it's a
cul-de-sac and there's next to no traffic. Many others have gated yards
or other impediments.

--
-eben royalty.mine.nu:81

This message was created using recycled electrons.

zob
August 3rd 09, 07:08 AM
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:44:35 -0700 (PDT), calvin >
wrote:

>On Aug 2, 9:50*pm, (Hactar) wrote:
>> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
>
>So what happens when the cat rolls it out into traffic?
>What a horrible contraption.

No, you obviously didn't read the article that accompanies the
picture.
---
Zob

MaryL
August 3rd 09, 01:36 PM
"Hactar" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
> Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
> after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
> midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up to
> the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
> resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
> case?
>
> --
> -eben http://royalty.mine.nu:81
> "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
> "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
> them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking

I would not want to risk using something like this outdoors unless you were
seated beside it all the time. The cat would still be vulnerable to dogs
and other predators and would have no way to escape. It would be sitting
inside a trap with no real protection.

MaryL

Hactar
August 3rd 09, 03:52 PM
In article >,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> "Hactar" > wrote in message
> > I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
> > http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
> > Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
> > after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
> > midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up to
> > the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
> > resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
> > case?
>
> If you want an outdoor tunnel for cats,

I don't. I aim to take several of those (or a similar product) and
connect them end-to-end and make a long Habitrail-wannabe around the
ceiling of a room. Therefore I need something joinable, unlike

> http://www.getprice.com.au/AFL-Merchandise-Deluxe-Outdoor-Foldable-Cat-Walk-Run-Tunnel-Gpnc_392--38028937.htm

The first one:

> http://www.collectionsetc.com/Item76111.aspx

doesn't say. I like the price and the roominess, but I wonder how I'd
form it into a corner. Maybe a wedge could be removed from one side and
the remainder stitched together, making the entire structure bend.

I am concerned about the tunnel's durability however, as I don't want
the cats to shred it.

--
-eben royalty.mine.nu:81
They that can give up essential liberty to

MaryL
August 3rd 09, 08:34 PM
"Hactar" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>
>> "Hactar" > wrote in message
>> > I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
>> > http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
>> > Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
>> > after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
>> > midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up
>> > the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
>> > resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
>> > case?
>>
>> If you want an outdoor tunnel for cats,
>
> I don't. I aim to take several of those (or a similar product) and
> connect them end-to-end and make a long Habitrail-wannabe around the
> ceiling of a room. Therefore I need something joinable, unlike
>
>> http://www.getprice.com.au/AFL-Merchandise-Deluxe-Outdoor-Foldable-Cat-Walk-Run-Tunnel-Gpnc_392--38028937.htm
>
> The first one:
>
>> http://www.collectionsetc.com/Item76111.aspx
>
> doesn't say. I like the price and the roominess, but I wonder how I'd
> form it into a corner. Maybe a wedge could be removed from one side and
> the remainder stitched together, making the entire structure bend.
>
> I am concerned about the tunnel's durability however, as I don't want
> the cats to shred it.
>
> --
> -eben royalty.mine.nu:81
> They that can give up essential liberty to
> obtain a little temporary safety deserve
> neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin

This is puzzling. In your original message, you asked about durability *on
dirt* or *hard surfaces.* In your response to calvin, you said it is a long
way to the street. And now you are talking about connecting several around
the ceiling of a room. So, you lost me somewhere along the way...

MaryL

Hactar
August 3rd 09, 09:25 PM
In article >,
MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> "Hactar" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> >> If you want an outdoor tunnel for cats,
> >
> > I don't. I aim to take several of those (or a similar product) and
> > connect them end-to-end and make a long Habitrail-wannabe around the
> > ceiling of a room. Therefore I need something joinable, unlike
> >

> http://www.getprice.com.au/AFL-Merchandise-Deluxe-Outdoor-Foldable-Cat-Walk-Run-Tunnel-Gpnc_392--38028937.htm
> >
> > The first one:
> >
> >> http://www.collectionsetc.com/Item76111.aspx
> >
> > doesn't say. I like the price and the roominess, but I wonder how I'd
> > form it into a corner. Maybe a wedge could be removed from one side and
> > the remainder stitched together, making the entire structure bend.
> >
> > I am concerned about the tunnel's durability however, as I don't want
> > the cats to shred it.
>
> This is puzzling. In your original message, you asked about durability *on
> dirt* or *hard surfaces.* In your response to calvin, you said it is a long
> way to the street. And now you are talking about connecting several around
> the ceiling of a room. So, you lost me somewhere along the way...

Well, my primary intended use is to make a shelf around the upper part
of a room, and put the cat-tubes up there with a tube-ramp to the floor.
If a given tube once bought turns out to be unsuitable, I guess I'll use
it as intended, as an outdoor playpen. I'm trying to avoid buying tubes
that are unknown, as it's a chunk of change to spend on a "maybe".
Constructing a shelf and buying 5-10 of them and THEN finding out they
don't work would be even worse of course. Both in and out are on hard
surfaces (outdoor -> dirt/grass, indoor -> wooden shelves), but even
outdoors is pretty safe from cars. It would bite if the netting failed
where the frame touches the shelf or ground. Maybe I could spread out
the load with gaffer tape if it's not quite as tough as needed.

--
-eben royalty.mine.nu:81

"windows seems to have stupidity buil[t] into it." -- sobriquet on a.o.l.

jmc
August 3rd 09, 09:28 PM
Suddenly, without warning, zob exclaimed (8/3/2009 2:08 AM):
> On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:44:35 -0700 (PDT), calvin >
> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 2, 9:50 pm, (Hactar) wrote:
>>> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
>> So what happens when the cat rolls it out into traffic?
>> What a horrible contraption.
>
> No, you obviously didn't read the article that accompanies the
> picture.
> ---
> Zob

To elaborate, it includes sand pockets and stakes to secure the tunnel.

jmc

Stan Brown
August 3rd 09, 11:21 PM
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 07:36:48 -0500 from MaryL -
OUT-THE-LITTER>:
> I would not want to risk using something like this outdoors unless
> you were seated beside it all the time. The cat would still be
> vulnerable to dogs and other predators and would have no way to
> escape. It would be sitting inside a trap with no real protection.

And 62" is ludicrously too short.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

jmc
August 4th 09, 02:19 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (8/3/2009 4:25 PM):
> In article >,
> MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>> "Hactar" > wrote in message
>>> I don't. I aim to take several of those (or a similar product) and
>>> connect them end-to-end and make a long Habitrail-wannabe around the
>>> ceiling of a room. Therefore I need something joinable, unlike
>>>
>> http://www.getprice.com.au/AFL-Merchandise-Deluxe-Outdoor-Foldable-Cat-Walk-Run-Tunnel-Gpnc_392--38028937.htm
>>> The first one:

>>> doesn't say. I like the price and the roominess, but I wonder how I'd
>>> form it into a corner. Maybe a wedge could be removed from one side and
>>> the remainder stitched together, making the entire structure bend.
>>>
>>> I am concerned about the tunnel's durability however, as I don't want
>>> the cats to shred it.
>> This is puzzling. In your original message, you asked about durability *on
>> dirt* or *hard surfaces.* In your response to calvin, you said it is a long
>> way to the street. And now you are talking about connecting several around
>> the ceiling of a room. So, you lost me somewhere along the way...
>
> Well, my primary intended use is to make a shelf around the upper part
> of a room, and put the cat-tubes up there with a tube-ramp to the floor.
> If a given tube once bought turns out to be unsuitable, I guess I'll use
> it as intended, as an outdoor playpen. I'm trying to avoid buying tubes
> that are unknown, as it's a chunk of change to spend on a "maybe".
> Constructing a shelf and buying 5-10 of them and THEN finding out they
> don't work would be even worse of course. Both in and out are on hard
> surfaces (outdoor -> dirt/grass, indoor -> wooden shelves), but even
> outdoors is pretty safe from cars. It would bite if the netting failed
> where the frame touches the shelf or ground. Maybe I could spread out
> the load with gaffer tape if it's not quite as tough as needed.

So, the next question - why do you need tubes for the inside? Cats are
perfectly capable of walking on wide surfaces without falling off.
Somewheres, there's a thing of an entire house someone gave over to
their cats - high walkways that go between rooms through holes in the
walls, stairs, cubbies, all sorts of things. Tunnels too, I think, but
for the cat's fun :) I'd think if they'd be in constant use they'd
eventually succumb to your cats' claws.

Outside, that's a bit different, but I'd still go with making sure
they're secured down, and being there all the time. If you have the
money to spend there's companies that'll build secure outdoors
enclosures for your cat. Wish I could afford one, Meep would *love* that.

jmc

Hactar
August 4th 09, 05:19 AM
In article >,
jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (8/3/2009 4:25 PM):
> >
> > Well, my primary intended use is to make a shelf around the upper part
> > of a room, and put the cat-tubes up there with a tube-ramp to the floor.
> > If a given tube once bought turns out to be unsuitable, I guess I'll use
> > it as intended, as an outdoor playpen. I'm trying to avoid buying tubes
> > that are unknown, as it's a chunk of change to spend on a "maybe".
> > Constructing a shelf and buying 5-10 of them and THEN finding out they
> > don't work would be even worse of course. Both in and out are on hard
> > surfaces (outdoor -> dirt/grass, indoor -> wooden shelves), but even
> > outdoors is pretty safe from cars. It would bite if the netting failed
> > where the frame touches the shelf or ground. Maybe I could spread out
> > the load with gaffer tape if it's not quite as tough as needed.
>
> So, the next question - why do you need tubes for the inside? Cats are
> perfectly capable of walking on wide surfaces without falling off.

Love of geekitude, mostly. My cats love getting in tightish spots, so
they'd probably dig it.

> Somewheres, there's a thing of an entire house someone gave over to
> their cats - high walkways that go between rooms through holes in the
> walls, stairs, cubbies, all sorts of things. Tunnels too, I think, but
> for the cat's fun :) I'd think if they'd be in constant use they'd
> eventually succumb to your cats' claws.

Unfortunately I think that's probably true. I'll probably end up with
carpeted shelves. They're a lot easier to make (carpet, plywood,
staplegun) and install, and cheaper, and more durable. Maybe I can
build a playhouse into it, or find a small one and graft it on.

> Outside, that's a bit different, but I'd still go with making sure
> they're secured down, and being there all the time. If you have the
> money to spend there's companies that'll build secure outdoors
> enclosures for your cat.

Yeah, I don't plan on keeping them funded.

--
A Higgs boson is sitting at the bar when the phone rings. He says to
the bartender "If that's a physicist, tell him you've not seen me."

Netmask
August 4th 09, 12:45 PM
Hactar wrote:
> I'm looking at enough of these to make a series of cat-tunnels:
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16126
> Does anyone have one? It'd suck to drop $35 on one and have it die
> after a use or two. So: How small is the screen (housefly, mosquito,
> midge/no-see-um)? How durable is it? In particular does it stand up to
> the abrasion a cat makes on dirt or on harder surfaces? Is it
> resistant to claw damage? The text says it zips together; is that the
> case?

I have a series of tunnels like these - one goes out of the house and up
over the roof and down into the bamboo stand (completely enclosed and
safe) My cats would always have access 24/7 and are quite safe for them
and our extensive bird life (Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Kookaburras,
Currawongs etc..)

http://www.catnip.com.au/images/photospage/photo_series_1_tnail_2.jpg

the image is very small

or

http://www.catnip.com.au/photos.html

However I built mine myself out of lattice, garden quality sun proof
mesh (the sort of stuff you might tack to a wall to encourage espalier
camellias to grow against.

http://www.boddingtons.com.au/forestry/garden-mesh.htm

At the moment I only have one tiny kitten so it's out of bounds for a
little while but at one stage I had 2 Burmese and 3 ex RSPCA cats and
they all loved it.

cybercat
August 4th 09, 03:43 PM
"Hactar" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Hactar exclaimed (8/3/2009 4:25 PM):
>> >
>> > Well, my primary intended use is to make a shelf around the upper part
>> > of a room, and put the cat-tubes up there with a tube-ramp to the
>> > floor.
>> > If a given tube once bought turns out to be unsuitable, I guess I'll
>> > use
>> > it as intended, as an outdoor playpen. I'm trying to avoid buying
>> > tubes
>> > that are unknown, as it's a chunk of change to spend on a "maybe".
>> > Constructing a shelf and buying 5-10 of them and THEN finding out they
>> > don't work would be even worse of course. Both in and out are on hard
>> > surfaces (outdoor -> dirt/grass, indoor -> wooden shelves), but even
>> > outdoors is pretty safe from cars. It would bite if the netting failed
>> > where the frame touches the shelf or ground. Maybe I could spread out
>> > the load with gaffer tape if it's not quite as tough as needed.
>>
>> So, the next question - why do you need tubes for the inside? Cats are
>> perfectly capable of walking on wide surfaces without falling off.
>
> Love of geekitude, mostly. My cats love getting in tightish spots, so
> they'd probably dig it.
>
>> Somewheres, there's a thing of an entire house someone gave over to
>> their cats - high walkways that go between rooms through holes in the
>> walls, stairs, cubbies, all sorts of things. Tunnels too, I think, but
>> for the cat's fun :) I'd think if they'd be in constant use they'd
>> eventually succumb to your cats' claws.
>
> Unfortunately I think that's probably true. I'll probably end up with
> carpeted shelves. They're a lot easier to make (carpet, plywood,
> staplegun) and install, and cheaper, and more durable. Maybe I can
> build a playhouse into it, or find a small one and graft it on.
>
>> Outside, that's a bit different, but I'd still go with making sure
>> they're secured down, and being there all the time. If you have the
>> money to spend there's companies that'll build secure outdoors
>> enclosures for your cat.
>
> Yeah, I don't plan on keeping them funded.

Nothing but the best for your cats, eh?