PDA

View Full Version : Blood around the house - which cat?


dgk
August 3rd 09, 01:35 PM
There are quite a few areas of the house with dried blood drops
around. A friend feeding the cats on the last day before I got home
noticed them in one area. At least that means it didn't come from Espy
since he was staying at the vet. But it looks like either Marlo or
Nipsy (or the cat sitter!) was bleeding somewhat. There is only one
big drop, around the size of a dime, but quite a few pea sized drops.

Marlo did have what appeared to be a small scab on one ear so I'm
guessing that was it, but none of them have ever fought enough to
bleed. I'm also surprised that a scratch on an ear could bleed that
much and in several places (upstairs and down). Does it make sense
that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?

I haven't found any evidence on the cats of bleeding other than that
small scab, and even that is gone now.

MLB[_2_]
August 3rd 09, 05:33 PM
dgk wrote:
> There are quite a few areas of the house with dried blood drops
> around. A friend feeding the cats on the last day before I got home
> noticed them in one area. At least that means it didn't come from Espy
> since he was staying at the vet. But it looks like either Marlo or
> Nipsy (or the cat sitter!) was bleeding somewhat. There is only one
> big drop, around the size of a dime, but quite a few pea sized drops.
>
> Marlo did have what appeared to be a small scab on one ear so I'm
> guessing that was it, but none of them have ever fought enough to
> bleed. I'm also surprised that a scratch on an ear could bleed that
> much and in several places (upstairs and down). Does it make sense
> that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?
>
> I haven't found any evidence on the cats of bleeding other than that
> small scab, and even that is gone now.


Did you check their claws? Perhaps one of them got pulled off.
Whatever it is, we send purrs that all is well now. MLB

Lesley[_3_]
August 3rd 09, 06:04 PM
On 3 Aug, 05:35, dgk > wrote:
Does it make sense
> that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?
>

Yep, cats have blood vessels in the ear and they're not deep so they
can be opened easily. One big drop followed by several smaller drops
sounds like the cat's blood clotting mechanism is working just fine

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Granby
August 3rd 09, 09:34 PM
What about a claw getting pulled out or torn.
"dgk" > wrote in message
...
> There are quite a few areas of the house with dried blood drops
> around. A friend feeding the cats on the last day before I got home
> noticed them in one area. At least that means it didn't come from Espy
> since he was staying at the vet. But it looks like either Marlo or
> Nipsy (or the cat sitter!) was bleeding somewhat. There is only one
> big drop, around the size of a dime, but quite a few pea sized drops.
>
> Marlo did have what appeared to be a small scab on one ear so I'm
> guessing that was it, but none of them have ever fought enough to
> bleed. I'm also surprised that a scratch on an ear could bleed that
> much and in several places (upstairs and down). Does it make sense
> that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?
>
> I haven't found any evidence on the cats of bleeding other than that
> small scab, and even that is gone now.

dgk
August 5th 09, 01:09 PM
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:33:37 -0600, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> There are quite a few areas of the house with dried blood drops
>> around. A friend feeding the cats on the last day before I got home
>> noticed them in one area. At least that means it didn't come from Espy
>> since he was staying at the vet. But it looks like either Marlo or
>> Nipsy (or the cat sitter!) was bleeding somewhat. There is only one
>> big drop, around the size of a dime, but quite a few pea sized drops.
>>
>> Marlo did have what appeared to be a small scab on one ear so I'm
>> guessing that was it, but none of them have ever fought enough to
>> bleed. I'm also surprised that a scratch on an ear could bleed that
>> much and in several places (upstairs and down). Does it make sense
>> that the tip of an ear can bleed that much?
>>
>> I haven't found any evidence on the cats of bleeding other than that
>> small scab, and even that is gone now.
>
>
>Did you check their claws? Perhaps one of them got pulled off.
>Whatever it is, we send purrs that all is well now. MLB


Yep, that's the first thing I looked for. All look normal. It was a
bit like playing detective. I think I'll need to have the blood type
established - does that work for cats?

Not to well apparently:

http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/coags/typefel.htm

Seems that most cats in the US are type A.

cybercat
August 6th 09, 08:39 AM
"dgk" > wrote
>
> Yep, that's the first thing I looked for. All look normal. It was a
> bit like playing detective. I think I'll need to have the blood type
> established - does that work for cats?
>
> Not to well apparently:
>
> http://diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/coags/typefel.htm
>
> Seems that most cats in the US are type A.

I think if it is something serious it will recurr. You're a great dad,
though.