PDA

View Full Version : want to relocate feral cats

bob syr
August 4th 09, 11:39 PM
About a year ago four kittens were born to a feral queen in my garage.
I've been feeding and watering them, but they do hunt. The mama is an
excellent hunter. I'd like to return these ferals to a new location. I
trapped and had them all spayed and neutered, including the queen, but
now I'm planning to move and I can't take them with me and I can't
leave them here. What are the criteria for a location in which to
place one-year-old ferals? - Bob

cybercat
August 5th 09, 01:21 AM
"bob syr" > wrote in message
> About a year ago four kittens were born to a feral queen in my garage.
> I've been feeding and watering them, but they do hunt. The mama is an
> excellent hunter. I'd like to return these ferals to a new location. I
> trapped and had them all spayed and neutered, including the queen, but
> now I'm planning to move and I can't take them with me and I can't
> leave them here. What are the criteria for a location in which to
> place one-year-old ferals? - Bob

Bless you for taking care of these cats. If I were in your place I think I
would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

calvin
August 5th 09, 06:12 AM
On Aug 4, 6:39*pm, bob syr > wrote:
> About a year ago four kittens were born to a feral queen in my garage.
> I've been feeding and watering them, but they do hunt. The mama is an
> excellent hunter. I'd like to return these ferals to a new location. I
> trapped and had them all spayed and neutered, including the queen, but
> now I'm planning to move and I can't take them with me and I can't
> leave them here. What are the criteria for a location in which to
> place one-year-old ferals? - Bob

I wonder why you had to trap them to have them spayed
and neutered. They all could have been tame with you.
Four years ago a near-feral pregnant cat was trapped and
brought to me, because I volunteered to keep the kittens
and return the mother (spayed) after the kittens had been
weaned. This saved the lives of six kittens and spared the
mother from a barbaric late-term abortion thst her so-
called owners were planning to have done. All of the
kittens and the mother became tame with me. I had a
reunion with the mother a couple of months ago, who
remembered me after nearly four years and let me pet her
extensively, even though she has never let anyone else
pet her at all. I still have the kittens (who will be four
years old in two days), and my other cats, except that two
of the older cats have died during the past four years,
Thug and Polly in the pictures below:

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

cybercat
August 5th 09, 06:56 AM
"calvin" > wrote:
>Thug and Polly in the pictures below:

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

You are such a dick. I remember you now.

calvin
August 5th 09, 01:53 PM
On Aug 5, 1:56*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "calvin" > wrote:
> >Thug and Polly in the pictures below:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html
>
> You are such a dick. I remember you now.

You remember me from back then, or from my
recent bad encounter with Phil P? I admit to the
wrongness of being obtuse with Phil, but don't
know what I may have done wrong four years ago.
That's why I keep bringing up four years ago,
trying to restore my good name.

bob syr
August 6th 09, 02:37 AM
.. If I were in your place I think I
> would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
them. - Bob

bob syr
August 6th 09, 02:48 AM
> I wonder why you had to trap them to have them spayed
> and neutered. *

Calvin - I waited too long. They were in the garage for a few months
while I checked out the local shelters who weren't able to help. Then
winter was coming on and I had to fix a place up for them to keep
warm. By then they were almost fully grown and I used a humane trap
and brought them one by one to the vet for spaying and neutering. Two
females, a male, and a mixed gender. Your cats are wonderful. I saw
the first couple of your pictures and as I write this I'm waiting for
the rest to download (old slow computer). They look so happy and
content. - Bob

calvin
August 6th 09, 03:00 AM
On Aug 5, 9:48*pm, bob syr > wrote:
> > I wonder why you had to trap them to have them spayed
> > and neutered. *
>
> Calvin - I waited too long. *They were in the garage for a few months
> while I checked out the local shelters who weren't able to help. *Then
> winter was coming on and I had to fix a place up for them to keep
> warm. *By then they were almost fully grown and I used a humane trap
> and brought them one by one to the vet for spaying and neutering. *Two
> females, a male, and a mixed gender. *Your cats are wonderful. *I saw
> the first couple of your pictures and as I write this I'm waiting for
> the rest to download (old slow computer). *They look so happy and
> content. - Bob

Thanks for your friendly reply. What is a mixed gender
cat, by the way? I've never heard of that.

cybercat
August 6th 09, 07:28 AM
"bob syr" > wrote in message
>. If I were in your place I think I
>> would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.
>
> I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
> groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
> ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
> to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
> them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
> ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
> them. - Bob

Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a good
one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

calvin
August 6th 09, 02:01 PM
On Aug 6, 2:28*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a good
> one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

But how do you make them stay there?
Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
no matter that the new environment might be more
to their liking eventually.

MaryL
August 6th 09, 02:46 PM
"calvin" > wrote in message
On Aug 6, 2:28 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a
> good
> one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

But how do you make them stay there?
Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
no matter that the new environment might be more
to their liking eventually.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My grandfather used to lock them in a large room in the barn for a few days,
just until they got used to being fed regularly. Most of them would then
stick around for that good food (and the good supply of mice in the barn).

MaryL

MLB[_2_]
August 6th 09, 05:32 PM
calvin wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2:28 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a good
>> one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!
>
> But how do you make them stay there?
> Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
> no matter that the new environment might be more
> to their liking eventually.

My mother used to say that if you rubbed butter on their feet they would
never want to leave. This is probably an "Old Wives Tale" but she did
this to our cats. MLB

Janet
August 6th 09, 06:47 PM
bob syr wrote:
> . If I were in your place I think I
>> would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.
>
> I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
> groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
> ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
> to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
> them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
> ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
> them. - Bob

My suggestions: put up a notice at feed stores, put a note on craigslist

MaryL
August 6th 09, 07:36 PM
"bob syr" > wrote in message
>. If I were in your place I think I
>> would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.
>
> I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
> groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
> ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
> to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
> them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
> ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
> them. - Bob

If you decide to go this route, please check out the owners first. My
grandfather had barn cats, and it really was a great life for them. They
had a safe, secure location, and he gave them good food and attention. Some
farmers are of the opinion that cats will be "better mousers" if they are
not fed. My grandfather was the opposite--he loved all animals and also
said that well fed cats are actually good hunters because it is an instinct
(not just a desire for food). That's the type of farm home that cats need.

MaryL

cybercat
August 6th 09, 07:41 PM
"calvin" > wrote in message
On Aug 6, 2:28 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a
> good
> one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

>But how do you make them stay there?
>Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
>no matter that the new environment might be more
>to their liking eventually.

They probably stay for the food and for their littermates, but you are
right, you can't make them. Feral cats have little use for humans, besides
food. At least in the country they should be safer than in the city.

cybercat
August 6th 09, 07:42 PM
"MLB" > wrote
> My mother used to say that if you rubbed butter on their feet they would
> never want to leave. This is probably an "Old Wives Tale" but she did
> this to our cats. MLB

That is so cool!!

bob syr
August 7th 09, 03:21 AM
What is a mixed gender cat, by the way? *I've never heard of that.

Calvin - Neither did I. When I brought the first cat in for spaying,
we (the vet and I) presumed it was female. She had a smaller head and
no sign of male genitalia. When they opened her for the spaying they
found the insides were male. Female on the outside and male on the
inside! She had an identical-looking twin and I named the two of them
Hermes and Aphrodite. However, Aphrodite turned out to be a regular
female. On the form, under sex the vet wrote "mixed" on Hermes'
certificate. Actually, three of the cats are in desperate need of a
home. The rest are more or less visitors to the colony and are
experienced neighborhood moochers. If I could place these three,
Hermes, Aphrodite, and Leo, I'd be somewhat happy. They are helpless
as, well, kittens. - Bob

FirstHit
August 7th 09, 07:09 AM
On Aug 6, 7:21*pm, bob syr > wrote:
> What is a mixed gender cat, by the way? *I've never heard of that.
>
> Calvin - Neither did I. *When I brought the first cat in for spaying,
> we (the vet and I) presumed it was female. *She had a smaller head and
> no sign of male genitalia. *When they opened her for the spaying they
> found the insides were male. *Female on the outside and male on the
> inside! *She had an identical-looking twin and I named the two of them
> Hermes and Aphrodite. *However, Aphrodite turned out to be a regular
> female. *On the form, under sex the vet wrote "mixed" on Hermes'
> certificate. *Actually, three of the cats are in desperate need of a
> home. *The rest are more or less visitors to the colony and are
> experienced neighborhood moochers. *If I could place these three,
> Hermes, Aphrodite, and Leo, I'd be somewhat happy. *They are helpless
> as, well, kittens. - Bob

Very interesting. Since there were no testicles outside, were they
inside?

FirstHit

bob syr
August 8th 09, 01:15 AM

> Very interesting. *Since there were no testicles outside, were they
> inside?
>
> FirstHit

FirstHit - I never thought to ask. I honestly don't know. "He" now
is healthy as a horse but needs a home soon. Any help or advice would
be appreciated.