PDA

View Full Version : cat diarrhea

Lol
August 18th 09, 12:16 AM
We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
case of worms, so treated with worm pills.

A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout of
diarrhea.

Are these things related?

Thanks,
Lol

John Ross Mc Master
August 18th 09, 12:30 AM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:16:20 GMT, "Lol" > wrote:

>We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
>case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>
>A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout of
>diarrhea.
>
>Are these things related?
>
>Thanks,
>Lol

I don't know if you are serious but yes, dewormers can cause a
TEMPORARY diahrrea.
The cat may also have the giardia parasite which is treatable by other
means.

cybercat
August 18th 09, 01:14 AM
"Lol" > wrote in message
om...
> We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
> case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>
> A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout
> of diarrhea.
>
> Are these things related?

Who knows? Take your cats to the vet.

Gandalf
August 18th 09, 06:37 AM
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:16:20 GMT, "Lol" > wrote:

>We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
>case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>
>A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout of
>diarrhea.
>
>Are these things related?
>
>Thanks,
>Lol

Probably.

Take the sick cat to the vet before he/she becomes severely dehydrated
and/or gets enough of an electrolyte imbalance to be in very serious
danger of kidney failure, heart failure, or something equally serious.

Diarrhea must be treated promptly, in cats. They can die from it.

Lol
August 19th 09, 05:02 PM
"Gandalf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:16:20 GMT, "Lol" > wrote:
>
>>We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
>>case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>>
>>A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout
>>of
>>diarrhea.
>>
>>Are these things related?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Lol
>>

> Probably.
>
> Take the sick cat to the vet before he/she becomes severely dehydrated
> and/or gets enough of an electrolyte imbalance to be in very serious
> danger of kidney failure, heart failure, or something equally serious.
>
> Diarrhea must be treated promptly, in cats. They can die from it.

Ok, thanks for replies.
Phoned vet before and his advise was that the stress of catching the cat
might make him worse...

But he reached the point of sicking up pink mucus - getting real worried...
so he has to be handled ... first catch our cat.

He is big and strong, has been stroked when he permits but never been
handled or picked up.
Tried to pick him up as I do for other cats and he walked out of my hands
like a rhino through a wheatfield - got there eventually, noted the vet had
a system of grabbing front legs at the shoulder - but he lost him twice as
well...

After examination vet pronounced no major problem at all, gave him an
injection (to reduce vomiting) a prescription diet.

Not a big problem, usually passes all by itself - and cat is getting
better - slowly.

Lol

Lol
August 19th 09, 05:07 PM
"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:16:20 GMT, "Lol" > wrote:
>
>>We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
>>case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>>
>>A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout
>>of
>>diarrhea.
>>
>>Are these things related?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Lol
>>

> I don't know if you are serious but yes, dewormers can cause a
> TEMPORARY diahrrea.
> The cat may also have the giardia parasite which is treatable by other
> means.

it wasn't the sick cat that had the worms or wormer - he isn't allowed out
so can't catch fresh wormy food.

Lol
August 19th 09, 05:16 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Lol" > wrote in message
> om...
>> We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
>> case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>>
>> A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout
>> of diarrhea.
>>
>> Are these things related?
>>

> Who knows? Take your cats to the vet.
if only it were that easy!!
What we were landed with by the RSPCA were 2 cats that had had no human
contact for the first year of their lives, so were not bonded to people and
treat humans with deep suspicion.
Those with 'normal' cats generally don't understand the issues here, but put
it like this - have you ever tried to catch a mouse that has got into your
kitchen?
Tricky, right?
Well cats are designed to catch mice, so they are, I promise you - quicker,
stronger, much harder to catch and hold. More painful as well...

Our answer to this problem is a solid year of love care feeding and
gentleness - it is starting to pay off, but only just.

We were reluctant to damage this progress.

Lol

cybercat
August 19th 09, 07:20 PM
"Lol" > wrote in message
om...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Lol" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a
>>> bad case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>>>
>>> A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a
>>> bout of diarrhea.
>>>
>>> Are these things related?
>>>

>> Who knows? Take your cats to the vet.
> if only it were that easy!!
> What we were landed with by the RSPCA were 2 cats that had had no human
> contact for the first year of their lives, so were not bonded to people
> and treat humans with deep suspicion.
> Those with 'normal' cats generally don't understand the issues here, but
> put it like this - have you ever tried to catch a mouse that has got into
> your kitchen?
> Tricky, right?
> Well cats are designed to catch mice, so they are, I promise you -
> quicker, stronger, much harder to catch and hold. More painful as well...
>
> Our answer to this problem is a solid year of love care feeding and
> gentleness - it is starting to pay off, but only just.
>
> We were reluctant to damage this progress.

Great.

No Name
September 15th 09, 09:27 AM
"Lol" > wrote in message
om...

> "Gandalf" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:16:20 GMT, "Lol" > wrote:
>>
>>>We have one cat (adopted stray) that ranges free out of doors - had a bad
>>>case of worms, so treated with worm pills.
>>>
>>>A few days later, one of our other cats, indoors only, has started a bout
>>>of
>>>diarrhea.
>>>
>>>Are these things related?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Lol
>>>

>> Probably.
>>
>> Take the sick cat to the vet before he/she becomes severely dehydrated
>> and/or gets enough of an electrolyte imbalance to be in very serious
>> danger of kidney failure, heart failure, or something equally serious.
>>
>> Diarrhea must be treated promptly, in cats. They can die from it.
>
> Ok, thanks for replies.
> Phoned vet before and his advise was that the stress of catching the cat
> might make him worse...
>
> But he reached the point of sicking up pink mucus - getting real
> worried... so he has to be handled ... first catch our cat.
>
> He is big and strong, has been stroked when he permits but never been
> handled or picked up.
> Tried to pick him up as I do for other cats and he walked out of my hands
> like a rhino through a wheatfield - got there eventually, noted the vet
> had a system of grabbing front legs at the shoulder - but he lost him
> twice as well...
>
> After examination vet pronounced no major problem at all, gave him an
> injection (to reduce vomiting) a prescription diet.
>
> Not a big problem, usually passes all by itself - and cat is getting
> better - slowly.
>
> Lol

I use a trap, I have a cat carrier and a long length of string with a
feather on the end, my big lad 'Mr. Stray' hates vets and the box. Luckily
he falls for the feather trick every time.Tuck the string and tread into
hole at back of box. then pull the string/feather into the box he follows.
door closed, off to vet....

No Name
September 15th 09, 09:29 AM
> wrote in message
> "Lol" > wrote in message
> om...

>>> Probably.
>>>
>>> Take the sick cat to the vet before he/she becomes severely dehydrated
>>> and/or gets enough of an electrolyte imbalance to be in very serious
>>> danger of kidney failure, heart failure, or something equally serious.
>>>
>>> Diarrhea must be treated promptly, in cats. They can die from it.
>>
>> Ok, thanks for replies.
>> Phoned vet before and his advise was that the stress of catching the cat
>> might make him worse...
>>
>> But he reached the point of sicking up pink mucus - getting real
>> worried... so he has to be handled ... first catch our cat.
>>
>> He is big and strong, has been stroked when he permits but never been
>> handled or picked up.
>> Tried to pick him up as I do for other cats and he walked out of my hands
>> like a rhino through a wheatfield - got there eventually, noted the vet
>> had a system of grabbing front legs at the shoulder - but he lost him
>> twice as well...
>>
>> After examination vet pronounced no major problem at all, gave him an
>> injection (to reduce vomiting) a prescription diet.
>>
>> Not a big problem, usually passes all by itself - and cat is getting
>> better - slowly.
>>
>> Lol
>>

> I use a trap, I have a cat carrier and a long length of string with a
> feather on the end, my big lad 'Mr. Stray' hates vets and the box. Luckily
> he falls for the feather trick every time.Tuck the string and tread into
> hole at back of box. then pull the string/feather into the box he follows.
> door closed, off to vet....

You not getting me into that box, you crazy fool. Mr. T

MLB[_2_]
> "Lol" > wrote in message
> om...

>>> Probably.
>>>
>>> Take the sick cat to the vet before he/she becomes severely dehydrated
>>> and/or gets enough of an electrolyte imbalance to be in very serious
>>> danger of kidney failure, heart failure, or something equally serious.
>>>
>>> Diarrhea must be treated promptly, in cats. They can die from it.
>>
>> Ok, thanks for replies.
>> Phoned vet before and his advise was that the stress of catching the
>> cat might make him worse...
>>
>> But he reached the point of sicking up pink mucus - getting real
>> worried... so he has to be handled ... first catch our cat.
>>
>> He is big and strong, has been stroked when he permits but never been
>> handled or picked up.
>> Tried to pick him up as I do for other cats and he walked out of my
>> hands like a rhino through a wheatfield - got there eventually, noted
>> the vet had a system of grabbing front legs at the shoulder - but he
>> lost him twice as well...
>>
>> After examination vet pronounced no major problem at all, gave him an
>> injection (to reduce vomiting) a prescription diet.
>>
>> Not a big problem, usually passes all by itself - and cat is getting
>> better - slowly.
>>
>> Lol
>>

> I use a trap, I have a cat carrier and a long length of string with a
> feather on the end, my big lad 'Mr. Stray' hates vets and the box.
> Luckily he falls for the feather trick every time.Tuck the string and
> tread into hole at back of box. then pull the string/feather into the
> box he follows. door closed, off to vet....

Thanks for the clever idea. Best wishes. MLB