PDA

View Full Version : Is it my service or is it just quiet in here?

jmc
August 24th 09, 01:06 AM
I've seen no messages in here all day - just testing to see if my
netnews service is having problems, or if it's just slow here.

jmc

FirstHit
August 24th 09, 01:54 AM
On Aug 23, 5:06*pm, jmc > wrote:
> I've seen no messages in here all day - just testing to see if my
> netnews service is having problems, or if it's just slow here.
>
> jmc

It's not quiet at all in here if you count the avalanche of SPAM
lately. Not any legitimate posts though. Maybe the SPAM is chasing
people away.

FirstHit

Dragoman
August 24th 09, 02:10 AM
FirstHit wrote:
> On Aug 23, 5:06 pm, jmc > wrote:
>> I've seen no messages in here all day - just testing to see if my
>> netnews service is having problems, or if it's just slow here.
>>

> It's not quiet at all in here if you count the avalanche of SPAM
> lately. Not any legitimate posts though. Maybe the SPAM is chasing
> people away.

Those of us who use normal news servers (aioe, albasani or
eternal-september, to name e few free ones), instead of Google, see
almost no spam. It /is/ quiet in here.

jmc
August 24th 09, 12:26 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Dragoman exclaimed (8/23/2009 9:10 PM):
> FirstHit wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 5:06 pm, jmc > wrote:
>>> I've seen no messages in here all day - just testing to see if my
>>> netnews service is having problems, or if it's just slow here.
>>>

>> It's not quiet at all in here if you count the avalanche of SPAM
>> lately. Not any legitimate posts though. Maybe the SPAM is chasing
>> people away.
>
> Those of us who use normal news servers (aioe, albasani or
> eternal-september, to name e few free ones), instead of Google, see
> almost no spam. It /is/ quiet in here.

I use individual.net, which is reasonably good at filtering spam. You
two are the only posts I've seen in over 24 hours.

Thanks. I was thinking maybe Usenet was broken <g>.

jmc

dgk
August 24th 09, 01:22 PM
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:26:22 -0400, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Dragoman exclaimed (8/23/2009 9:10 PM):
>> FirstHit wrote:
>>>>

>>> It's not quiet at all in here if you count the avalanche of SPAM
>>> lately. Not any legitimate posts though. Maybe the SPAM is chasing
>>> people away.
>>
>> Those of us who use normal news servers (aioe, albasani or
>> eternal-september, to name e few free ones), instead of Google, see
>> almost no spam. It /is/ quiet in here.
>
>I use individual.net, which is reasonably good at filtering spam. You
>two are the only posts I've seen in over 24 hours.
>
>Thanks. I was thinking maybe Usenet was broken <g>.
>
>jmc

Quiet, except for spam. I guess everyone's kittys are behaving.

jmc
August 24th 09, 01:45 PM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (8/24/2009 8:22 AM):
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:26:22 -0400, jmc
> > wrote:
>
>> Suddenly, without warning, Dragoman exclaimed (8/23/2009 9:10 PM):

>>> Those of us who use normal news servers (aioe, albasani or
>>> eternal-september, to name e few free ones), instead of Google, see
>>> almost no spam. It /is/ quiet in here.
>> I use individual.net, which is reasonably good at filtering spam. You
>> two are the only posts I've seen in over 24 hours.
>>
>> Thanks. I was thinking maybe Usenet was broken <g>.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Quiet, except for spam. I guess everyone's kittys are behaving.

Or maybe it's a feline conspiracy and they've all hid the mice and
coughed up hairballs on keyboards :)

(has an image of cats everywhere lying on keyboards, refusing to move)

jmc

Granby
August 24th 09, 02:01 PM
Sometimes, silence is Golden. Could mean everyone's cat is well for the day
or at least behaving.
"jmc" > wrote in message
> I've seen no messages in here all day - just testing to see if my netnews
> service is having problems, or if it's just slow here.
>
> jmc

MLB[_2_]
August 24th 09, 06:51 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Dragoman exclaimed (8/23/2009 9:10 PM):
>> FirstHit wrote:
>>>>

>>> It's not quiet at all in here if you count the avalanche of SPAM
>>> lately. Not any legitimate posts though. Maybe the SPAM is chasing
>>> people away.
>>
>> Those of us who use normal news servers (aioe, albasani or
>> eternal-september, to name e few free ones), instead of Google, see
>> almost no spam. It /is/ quiet in here.
>
> I use individual.net, which is reasonably good at filtering spam. You
> two are the only posts I've seen in over 24 hours.
>
> Thanks. I was thinking maybe Usenet was broken <g>.
>
> jmc

Perhaps down for repairs. MLB

John Doe
September 30th 09, 09:24 AM
FirstHit > wrote:

> jmc > wrote:

>> I've seen no messages in here all day - just testing to see if
>> my netnews service is having problems, or if it's just slow
>> here.

> It's not quiet at all in here if you count the avalanche of SPAM
> lately.

It comes from your stinking news server Google Groups. I have
heard that Google has started including a link at the top of the
page for reporting spam, maybe like MSN Hotmail. If all you have
to do is click on it, please do. Maybe that will eventually slow
it down.