PDA

View Full Version : One cat put down and the one left behind is suffering

June[_2_]
September 7th 09, 03:12 PM
I always thought cats had short memories about other cats; sort of nature's
way of handling life for them. I had to have one of my cats put down to
stop the suffering. I still have another cat inside who is missing the
first cat. It's only been a week but it he knows things aren't right. They
weren't real close but would play together once in a while. Harry and
Tigger were both 8 years old but Tigger had to be put down unexpectedly last
week on a Sunday morning. It was hard for me but I knew I did what had to
be done. Today a week later, Harry isn't using his cat box (he goes, just
not in the cat box) and howls at night. Today I found him under the sofa
where Tigger hid when he was in pain. I'm a life long owner of cats but
I've never had one that is so lost. Decades ago I had two Siamese litter
mates and had to have one put down after several years and the one left
behind adjusted quickly. I've petted Harry and talked to him but the night
seems the worst. Any advice?

dgk
September 8th 09, 02:19 PM
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:12:40 -0400, "June" > wrote:

>I always thought cats had short memories about other cats; sort of nature's
>way of handling life for them. I had to have one of my cats put down to
>stop the suffering. I still have another cat inside who is missing the
>first cat. It's only been a week but it he knows things aren't right. They
>weren't real close but would play together once in a while. Harry and
>Tigger were both 8 years old but Tigger had to be put down unexpectedly last
>week on a Sunday morning. It was hard for me but I knew I did what had to
>be done. Today a week later, Harry isn't using his cat box (he goes, just
>not in the cat box) and howls at night. Today I found him under the sofa
>where Tigger hid when he was in pain. I'm a life long owner of cats but
>I've never had one that is so lost. Decades ago I had two Siamese litter
>mates and had to have one put down after several years and the one left
>behind adjusted quickly. I've petted Harry and talked to him but the night
>seems the worst. Any advice?

I once took one cat to the vet to view (sniff) the body of his dead
companion. I didn't want him to wonder where he had gone. I don't know
if it did any good but I think it did.

And when Espy went to the vet for a few days recently, Marlo pretty
much ignored his absence but Nipsy clearly was upset. It does seem to
vary with the cat.

Hey, I have a good idea! How about getting Harry another playmate? Not
a youngster I'm thinking - maybe a nice three or four year old? They
appreciate a good home and aren't so hyper that they would drive Harry
crazy.

June[_2_]
September 8th 09, 03:57 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> I once took one cat to the vet to view (sniff) the body of his dead
> companion. I didn't want him to wonder where he had gone. I don't know
> if it did any good but I think it did.
>
> And when Espy went to the vet for a few days recently, Marlo pretty
> much ignored his absence but Nipsy clearly was upset. It does seem to
> vary with the cat.
>
> Hey, I have a good idea! How about getting Harry another playmate? Not
> a youngster I'm thinking - maybe a nice three or four year old? They
> appreciate a good home and aren't so hyper that they would drive Harry
> crazy.

Actually I have checked the humane society online about getting an older
cat. I have 3 outdoor cats that are older but they started as a stray and
feral cats. (all have been neutered BTW). But my husband and I are retired
and like to travel so I'm thinking after the trip to Australia this winter,
I might see about another cat. Harry is starting to get a little better.
No howling last night. I made sure I petted him and talked to him before
bed. Thanks for the reply.....June

Granby
September 8th 09, 06:21 PM
For a year after my husband went to the bridge, Piglett would cry off and
on. She recogenized the name Bob. About a year after he died, I had moved
and unpacked a box with some keepsakes in it to put on the shelf. Poor Pig,
she would rub around them and cried all over again. I got the two other
cats now so she doesn't do it. But, when she is sick, she tends to want my
son to be around her more than me. Cats have long memories, IMHO.
"June" > wrote in message
>I always thought cats had short memories about other cats; sort of nature's
>way of handling life for them. I had to have one of my cats put down to
>stop the suffering. I still have another cat inside who is missing the
>first cat. It's only been a week but it he knows things aren't right.
>They weren't real close but would play together once in a while. Harry and
>Tigger were both 8 years old but Tigger had to be put down unexpectedly
>last week on a Sunday morning. It was hard for me but I knew I did what
>had to be done. Today a week later, Harry isn't using his cat box (he
>goes, just not in the cat box) and howls at night. Today I found him under
>the sofa where Tigger hid when he was in pain. I'm a life long owner of
>cats but I've never had one that is so lost. Decades ago I had two
>Siamese litter mates and had to have one put down after several years and
>the one left behind adjusted quickly. I've petted Harry and talked to him
>but the night seems the worst. Any advice?

Rene S
September 9th 09, 09:49 PM
Yes, animals grieve and it's quite possible the Harry is missing his
companion. IMO, I would take him to the vet to rule out anything
medical. Going outside the box can be a sign of a urinary tract
problem.

rich
September 19th 09, 11:32 PM
June wrote:
> I always thought cats had short memories about other cats; sort of
> nature's way of handling life for them. I had to have one of my cats
> put down to stop the suffering. I still have another cat inside who is
> missing the first cat. It's only been a week but it he knows things
> aren't right. They weren't real close but would play together once in a
> while. Harry and Tigger were both 8 years old but Tigger had to be put
> down unexpectedly last week on a Sunday morning. It was hard for me but
> I knew I did what had to be done. Today a week later, Harry isn't
> using his cat box (he goes, just not in the cat box) and howls at
> night. Today I found him under the sofa where Tigger hid when he was in
> pain. I'm a life long owner of cats but I've never had one that is so
> lost. Decades ago I had two Siamese litter mates and had to have one
> put down after several years and the one left behind adjusted quickly.
> I've petted Harry and talked to him but the night seems the worst. Any
> advice?

Attention, affection. I've seen this. Some cats mourn severely. Unclear
why some do and some don't.

Rich