PDA

View Full Version : salt water bathing for cat eczema

No Name
September 20th 09, 11:45 AM
how much salt would one put into a pint of warm water to make a salt water
bath? Part of treatment for skin problems. vet said weak salt water bathing,
rinse dry skin, then apply cream.
I forgot to ask how much salt. I'm sure it's not to be to strong it might
sting him, and if any gets left on the fur he will ingest the salt when he
washes and that can't be good for him. cheers.

Granby
September 20th 09, 01:08 PM
I would call the vet and ask. A friend had this with their cat. They gave
the cat a bath with Head and Shoulders once a week for a month, during
flare-up times. Change in diet and some ointment from the vet.
> wrote in message
> how much salt would one put into a pint of warm water to make a salt water
> bath? Part of treatment for skin problems. vet said weak salt water
> bathing, rinse dry skin, then apply cream.
> I forgot to ask how much salt. I'm sure it's not to be to strong it might
> sting him, and if any gets left on the fur he will ingest the salt when he
> washes and that can't be good for him. cheers.

MaryL
September 20th 09, 07:00 PM
> wrote in message
> how much salt would one put into a pint of warm water to make a salt water
> bath? Part of treatment for skin problems. vet said weak salt water
> bathing, rinse dry skin, then apply cream.
> I forgot to ask how much salt. I'm sure it's not to be to strong it might
> sting him, and if any gets left on the fur he will ingest the salt when he
> washes and that can't be good for him. cheers.

I think you should call your vet and get further instructions. I can tell
you that my ophthalmologist had me use a weak saline solution for my *own*
eyelids some time ago. The instructions were to use one-half teaspoon of
table salt with one quart of warm water to create a saline solution (salt
water) that is equal to that in the normal body fluids. Based on this, you
may need a *very* weak solution--but, as I said, this should be verified
first.

MaryL

No Name
September 21st 09, 09:47 AM
salt water bathing for cat eczema, the correct mix for salt wash is,
1/2 a 'uk' teaspoon of salt 'preferably sea salt' crushed in two large
spoons then stirred into 1/4 pint boiling water, stir until dissolved then
add 3/4 pint cold water to drop the temp.

Netmask[_2_]
September 21st 09, 11:22 PM
wrote:
> how much salt would one put into a pint of warm water to make a salt
> water bath? Part of treatment for skin problems. vet said weak salt
> water bathing, rinse dry skin, then apply cream.
> I forgot to ask how much salt. I'm sure it's not to be to strong it
> might sting him, and if any gets left on the fur he will ingest the salt
> when he washes and that can't be good for him. cheers.

Check with a vet but I can say many years ago a friend living at Avalon
in Sydney, a beach side suburb, would take his Burmese cat (Fat Max) for
a run along the beach early in the morning. Fat Max would happily walk
through the last shallow part of the breaking surf and his fur became
bleached over the years - a regular surfie! He lived in spectacular good
health albeit fat for 18 years.