PDA

View Full Version : Chilled canned food ok to serve to cats


Rick Ulrich[_2_]
September 21st 09, 05:39 PM
Hi.
What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and at
room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of food and
have to store in frig until next serving.

Thanks Rick

cybercat
September 21st 09, 06:12 PM
"Rick Ulrich" > wrote in message
...
> Hi.
> What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
> Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and
> at room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of
> food and have to store in frig until next serving.
>

It's okay. I do it too. Strangely, my cat will not eat any flavor but
salmon cold, so I have to let it sit out a little while before I put it
down. She chows on the salmon right away.
> Thanks Rick
>

---MIKE---
September 21st 09, 07:14 PM
Chilled canned food would have less aroma than room temperature or
warmed food. I place the unopened can in warm water for 15 minutes
before opening it. The resulting aroma makes the food more appealing
(to the cats).


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew[_3_]
September 21st 09, 08:19 PM
Or throw it in the microwave with a little water in it for a few seconds i
do that on a cold day for them it is gone even if it something they are
not to happy with to begin with
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
...
Chilled canned food would have less aroma than room temperature or
warmed food. I place the unopened can in warm water for 15 minutes
before opening it. The resulting aroma makes the food more appealing
(to the cats).


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Stan Brown
September 22nd 09, 02:07 AM
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:39:21 GMT from "Rick Ulrich" >
<"Rick Ulrich" >>:
> What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
> Does it have to be at room temperature?

Milo seems to prefer it, even when the weather isn't hot.


--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Stan Brown
September 22nd 09, 02:08 AM
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:07:51 -0400 from Stan Brown
>:
>
> Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:39:21 GMT from "Rick Ulrich" >
> <"Rick Ulrich" >>:
> > What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
> > Does it have to be at room temperature?
>
> Milo seems to prefer it, even when the weather isn't hot.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit: Milo seems to prefer it
right out of the fridge.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Granby
September 22nd 09, 08:53 AM
You have to be kidding. I know this is my fault because, after all I
started it. Mine have to have theirs a bit warm, few seconds nuked does it
for them. Makes it smell really good, maybe that only matters to me but
they eat most anything I give them. Cold food, I can just see the three of
them turning up their collective noses.

"Rick Ulrich" > wrote in message
...
> Hi.
> What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
> Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and
> at room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of
> food and have to store in frig until next serving.
>
> Thanks Rick
>

dgk
September 22nd 09, 01:56 PM
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:53:05 -0500, "Granby" > wrote:

>You have to be kidding. I know this is my fault because, after all I
>started it. Mine have to have theirs a bit warm, few seconds nuked does it
>for them. Makes it smell really good, maybe that only matters to me but
>they eat most anything I give them. Cold food, I can just see the three of
>them turning up their collective noses.
>
>"Rick Ulrich" > wrote in message
...
>> Hi.
>> What is everyone's opinion on giving canned food out of the refrigerator?
>> Does it have to be at room temperature? My three cats eat it chilled and
>> at room temperature. I do this because I don't give them a full tin of
>> food and have to store in frig until next serving.
>>
>> Thanks Rick
>>
>

I refrigerate whatever my three cats don't finish, and that food often
ends up going to the outside cat(s). I usually nuke it for 10 seconds
just to get the chill out, and of course I stir it so Scooter and the
other outside cats don't burn their little mouths on a hot spot. I was
talking to one of my neighbors the other day and she laughed at the
part about stirring the food but she does it also.

I find that the outside cats are much less picky than my prima donnas.

That said, my cats will eat cold food at times.