PDA

View Full Version : Catfoods

Kelly Greene
October 3rd 09, 11:59 PM
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many bags
at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or some other
grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of Purina. She gets a
meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like leaving canned food out
all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and very boney, starved, so I'd
like to keep food in front of her as much as possible until she gains some
weight. What dry food do you cat owners recommend?

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of

cybercat
October 4th 09, 12:13 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and very
> boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
> recommend?

Kelly,

Bless you for taking in this poor little cat. I keep Purina Pro 1 for my
skinny little cat, who just does not seem too interested in any food. She
gets canned every 12 hours, but rarely finishes it, so I keep dry out in
case it will tempt her. As far as protein content, I don't think dry foods
vary too much in this regard.

Kudos to you for recognizing that dry is not the way to go, for most
purposes. Hope your new kitty fattens up soon.

Netmask[_2_]
October 4th 09, 11:19 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
> recommend?

I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

Kelly Greene
October 4th 09, 11:24 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
>> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
>> recommend?
>>

> Kelly,
>
> Bless you for taking in this poor little cat. I keep Purina Pro 1 for my
> skinny little cat, who just does not seem too interested in any food. She
> gets canned every 12 hours, but rarely finishes it, so I keep dry out in
> case it will tempt her. As far as protein content, I don't think dry foods
> vary too much in this regard.
>
> Kudos to you for recognizing that dry is not the way to go, for most
> purposes. Hope your new kitty fattens up soon.

Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to like
the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her food
and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 4th 09, 11:27 PM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
>> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
>> recommend?
>>

> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

I'll look into this food. The name is familiar. Thanks for the
recommendation.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jmc
October 5th 09, 02:04 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
> recommend?

Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.

Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.

For the record, my cat's a carbivore, I've been working for years to
change that cattitude :)

jmc

cyberpurrs
October 5th 09, 04:29 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
>> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
>> recommend?
>>

> Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
> find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.
>
> Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.

I think you hit on an important factor here--they have to want to eat the
food, esp. the skinny ones! Gracie gets what she wants because she tips the
scale at 7.5 lbs and does not like many foods.

Netmask[_2_]
October 5th 09, 05:30 AM
Netmask wrote:
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much
>> as possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat
>> owners recommend?
>>

> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
They really have disgusting olfaction desires....

jmc
October 5th 09, 01:09 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (10/5/2009 12:30 AM):
> Netmask wrote:
>> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at
>>> many bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always
>>> corn or some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a
>>> bag of Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I
>>> don't like leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that
>>> wandered in and very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in
>>> front of her as much as possible until she gains some weight. What
>>> dry food do you cat owners recommend?
>>>

>> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500
>
> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
> They really have disgusting olfaction desires....

Mine won't eat real meat in any form, but loves parmesan cheese.

jmc

jmc
October 5th 09, 01:11 PM
Suddenly, without warning, cyberpurrs exclaimed (10/4/2009 11:29 PM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
>>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at
>>> many bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always
>>> corn or some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a
>>> bag of Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I
>>> don't like leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that
>>> wandered in and very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in
>>> front of her as much as possible until she gains some weight. What
>>> dry food do you cat owners recommend?
>>>

>> Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
>> find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.
>>
>> Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.
>>

> I think you hit on an important factor here--they have to want to eat
> the food, esp. the skinny ones! Gracie gets what she wants because she
> tips the scale at 7.5 lbs and does not like many foods.

Yea. Mine's a bit more difficult though - she really CANT have any dry
food, because she'll get cystitis attacks. Even high quality stuff.

So she gets all canned, but the specialty store brands are peppered with
Fancy Feast, and most are not grain free, so at least I know she's
eating. She's gained some weight this way and didn't have a cystitis
attack until I relented and started to add some dry back into her diet.

jmc

Kelly Greene
October 5th 09, 03:28 PM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Netmask wrote:
>> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
>>> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
>>> recommend?
>>>

>> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500
>
> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better. They
> really have disgusting olfaction desires....

I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This cat
eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy :)

One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 5th 09, 03:37 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
>> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
>> recommend?
>>

> Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
> find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.
>
> Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.
>
> For the record, my cat's a carbivore, I've been working for years to
> change that cattitude :)
>
> jmc

I like that word "cattitude." :-)) Carbs are what I'm trying to avoid in a
cat food since they are carnivores. My old vet told me to avoid them as he
felt they were behind a lot of cat's health problems. Obesity and diabetes
mainly, and tarter on their teeth leading to dental problems as time passes.
I'm going to check out a PetStore that sells Evo and the Purina product
mentioned on my next trip to town.

This poor cat started showing some worrying symptoms last night. I was up
all night with her.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 5th 09, 03:44 PM
"cyberpurrs" > wrote in message

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
>>> Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
>>> bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
>>> some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
>>> Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
>>> leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
>>> very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
>>> possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
>>> recommend?
>>>

>> Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
>> find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.
>>
>> Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.
>>

> I think you hit on an important factor here--they have to want to eat the
> food, esp. the skinny ones! Gracie gets what she wants because she tips
> the scale at 7.5 lbs and does not like many foods.

I'm going to look at the Wellness Core also. Some cats will eat a dry food
if you mix some canned in with it. I never had a cat refuse a dry food when
mixed with a little warm fat-free milk and canned cat-food. I would also add
some natural fats to their dinner when I cooked meat. They all had shiny
coats.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cybercat
October 5th 09, 07:13 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote
> I'm going to look at the Wellness Core also. Some cats will eat a dry food
> if you mix some canned in with it. I never had a cat refuse a dry food
> when mixed with a little warm fat-free milk and canned cat-food. I would
> also add some natural fats to their dinner when I cooked meat. They all
> had shiny coats.

Adding fat from cooking is a great idea! If you ever put up any pictures of
your kitties please post a link here, I'd love to see them.

Rene
October 5th 09, 07:29 PM
> Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to like
> the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her food
> and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.

Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
(usually corn) is what's used.

A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
lactose removed and some added nutrients.

Netmask[_2_]
October 6th 09, 05:34 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "Netmask" > wrote in message
>> Netmask wrote:
>>>>

>>> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500
>>
>> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
>> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
>> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
>> They really have disgusting olfaction desires....
>

> I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This
> cat eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy :)
>
> One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D

I'm feeding a feral "Felix" cat that is grateful for anything and has
made friends with Meko via the lattice enclosure - they sit and watch
each other all day. Unfortunately I can't let Meko outside as the area
is rife with FIV so it is a case of look don't touch!!!

It is also quite touching that "Felix" sleeps almost on the grave of my
last Burmese cat -

Netmask[_2_]
October 6th 09, 05:34 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "Netmask" > wrote in message
>> Netmask wrote:
>>>>

>>> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500
>>
>> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
>> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
>> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
>> They really have disgusting olfaction desires....
>

> I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This
> cat eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy :)
>
> One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D

I'm feeding a feral "Felix" cat that is grateful for anything and has
made friends with Meko via the lattice enclosure - they sit and watch
each other all day. Unfortunately I can't let Meko outside as the area
is rife with FIV so it is a case of look don't touch!!!

It is also quite touching that "Felix" sleeps almost on the grave of my
last Burmese cat -

Rene
October 7th 09, 02:55 PM
> Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
> ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
> (usually corn) is what's used.
>
> A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
> calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
> cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
> lactose removed and some added nutrients.

I forgot to include these links:

Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article): http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php

MLB[_2_]
October 7th 09, 05:39 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "Netmask" > wrote in message
>> Netmask wrote:
>>>>

>>> I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500
>>
>> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
>> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
>> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
>> They really have disgusting olfaction desires....
>

> I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This
> cat eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy :)
>
> One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D

TuTu likes a taste of potato chip too. But I make sure it is only a
small taste. IMHO it is the salt they crave. MLB

Bill Graham
October 8th 09, 12:10 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
>>> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
>>> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
>>> They really have disgusting olfaction desires....
>>

>> I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This
>> cat eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy :)
>>
>> One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D
>

> TuTu likes a taste of potato chip too. But I make sure it is only a small
> taste. IMHO it is the salt they crave. MLB

I agree. A couple of my cats like smoked salmon. (lox). It is high in salt
content. I give them a little from time to time, but they won't eat a lot of
it in any case.....(for one thing, it is about $8 a pound)

Kelly Greene
October 8th 09, 07:48 PM
"Rene" > wrote in message

>> Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to
>> like
>> the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her
>> food
>> and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.
>
> Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
> ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
> (usually corn) is what's used.
>
> A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
> calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
> cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
> lactose removed and some added nutrients.

Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
vomit.

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 8th 09, 07:49 PM
"Rene" > wrote in message
>> Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
>> ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
>> (usually corn) is what's used.
>>
>> A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
>> calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
>> cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
>> lactose removed and some added nutrients.
>
> I forgot to include these links:
>
> Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
> History of dry food (a must-read article):
> http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php

I'm going to check both out right now. :0)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rene S
October 8th 09, 07:59 PM
> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
> vomit.

Most cats are actually lactose intolerant and can get diarrhea and/or
vomiting from milk.

cybercat
October 8th 09, 08:10 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote

> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
> vomit.

Milk used to give a couple of my cats the runs.

Kelly Greene
October 8th 09, 09:41 PM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
>>> chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
>>> Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
>>> They really have disgusting olfaction desires....
>>

>> I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This
>> cat eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy :)
>>
>> One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D
>

> I'm feeding a feral "Felix" cat that is grateful for anything and has made
> friends with Meko via the lattice enclosure - they sit and watch each
> other all day. Unfortunately I can't let Meko outside as the area is rife
> with FIV so it is a case of look don't touch!!!

Our area is also well known for communicable cat and dog diseases. I
believe it's mainly because people come out to the countryside and dump
unwanted pets, some of them quite sick. It's a very sad situation.

> It is also quite touching that "Felix" sleeps almost on the grave of my
> last Burmese cat -

Your deceased cat must be buried in a place cats like, may he or she rest in
peace.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 8th 09, 09:43 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>
>> One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D
>

> TuTu likes a taste of potato chip too. But I make sure it is only a small
> taste. IMHO it is the salt they crave. MLB

That's what I suspected. Some were eaten and others were licked all over but
not consumed. :0)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 8th 09, 09:45 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>> I'm going to look at the Wellness Core also. Some cats will eat a dry
>> food if you mix some canned in with it. I never had a cat refuse a dry
>> food when mixed with a little warm fat-free milk and canned cat-food. I
>> would also add some natural fats to their dinner when I cooked meat. They
>> all had shiny coats.
>
> Adding fat from cooking is a great idea! If you ever put up any pictures
> of your kitties please post a link here, I'd love to see them.

I will definitely do that. :0)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill Graham
October 8th 09, 10:45 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Rene" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to
>>> like
>>> the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her
>>> food
>>> and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.
>>
>> Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
>> ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
>> (usually corn) is what's used.
>>
>> A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
>> calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
>> cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
>> lactose removed and some added nutrients.
>
> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
> vomit.

My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in a
Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without spilling a
drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it off.

Bill Graham
October 9th 09, 02:28 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
>>> ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
>>> (usually corn) is what's used.
>>>
>>> A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
>>> calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
>>> cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
>>> lactose removed and some added nutrients.
>>
>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>> she vomit.
>>
> My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in a
> Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without spilling a
> drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it off.

The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
without going bad, so if you have to leave your cats alone for some period
of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food and they
will be able to survive until you get back. You can also leave a dripping
faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you are gone. Our
cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors houses for food,
but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we visit my daughter
in another state.

Kelly Greene
October 11th 09, 09:45 AM
"Rene S" > wrote in message

>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>> she
>> vomit.
>>

> Most cats are actually lactose intolerant and can get diarrhea and/or
> vomiting from milk.

She likes milk and neither vomits or has loose bowels from it.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 11th 09, 09:46 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>>
>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>> she vomit.
>
> Milk used to give a couple of my cats the runs.

As long as it doesn't make her vomit or get the runs I'll give her some
every morning.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 11th 09, 09:50 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
>>> ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
>>> (usually corn) is what's used.
>>>
>>> A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
>>> calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
>>> cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
>>> lactose removed and some added nutrients.
>>
>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>> she vomit.
>>
> My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in a
> Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without spilling a
> drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it off.

I'd love to see that! :-)) All my cats liked milk and I can't really
recall any that
couldn't drink it. Lucky is so thin we're trying to get weight on her so she
gets
milk and a Tbs of butter every day. She loves butter. ;-)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 11th 09, 09:59 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
> without going bad,

This is true and probably wont hurt them as long as it's only temporary.

so if you have to leave your cats alone for some period
> of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food and they
> will be able to survive until you get back.

Speaking only for myself, I would never leave one of my cats alone that
long. We plan to take Luckycat with us when we go camping and on trips. If
we can't take her somewhere, I'll either have my stepdaughter come over and
check on her every other day, or Board her somewhere. Anything can happen
with animals. Just the other night Lucky jammed herself behind my
nightstand. She's a new cat so was probably exploring the house while we
were asleep. She couldn't go forward and couldn't twist her body and back
out - so she cried for help. :*( I still don't know how she got back
there. Maybe she fell off the back of the nightstand. What would have
happened had we been gone for days?

You can also leave a dripping
> faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you are gone.
> Our cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors houses for
> food, but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we visit my
> daughter in another state.

I don't have ourdoor cats but that should work for those who do.

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 11th 09, 10:01 AM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
> I'm feeding a feral "Felix" cat that is grateful for anything and has made
> friends with Meko via the lattice enclosure - they sit and watch each
> other all day. Unfortunately I can't let Meko outside as the area is rife
> with FIV so it is a case of look don't touch!!!

Outdoor cats can supplement their diet with their natural food so perhaps
dry food wouldn't be as damaging for them.

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 11th 09, 10:02 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Adding fat from cooking is a great idea! If you ever put up any pictures
> of your kitties please post a link here, I'd love to see them.

Here she is. :-)
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/LuckyCat4.jpg
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cybercat
October 11th 09, 04:28 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>>>
>>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>>> she vomit.
>>
>> Milk used to give a couple of my cats the runs.
>
> As long as it doesn't make her vomit or get the runs I'll give her some
> every morning.

I would give her what she likes, esp. if she is underweight.

cybercat
October 11th 09, 04:30 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote
> I'd love to see that! :-)) All my cats liked milk and I can't really
> recall any that
> couldn't drink it. Lucky is so thin we're trying to get weight on her so
> she gets
> milk and a Tbs of butter every day. She loves butter. ;-)
> --

My little Gracie loves dairy, and she barely acknowledges most human food.
She eats so little, though, she is happy with the residue on an empty bowl
of cottage cheese, yogurt, or salad with ranch dressing. She will actually
lick a piece of cheese, but soon shakes her head and spends the next 20
minutes bathing.

cybercat
October 11th 09, 05:43 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> Adding fat from cooking is a great idea! If you ever put up any pictures
>> of your kitties please post a link here, I'd love to see them.
>
> Here she is. :-)
> http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/LuckyCat4.jpg

Oh! What a lovely calico, she has that rounded English looking head. She is
just beautiful.

cybercat
October 11th 09, 05:46 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote
> Speaking only for myself, I would never leave one of my cats alone that
> long.

You're so right. It isn't safe, and it is cruel. They usually get upset at
travel, so the thing to do, as you say, is to get a trusted friend or
neighbor or to hire a service after you check it out thoroughly.

Matthew[_3_]
October 11th 09, 06:21 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>>> she vomit.
>>>
>> My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in
>> a Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without spilling
>> a drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it off.
>>
> The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
> without going bad, so if you have to leave your cats alone for some period
> of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food and they
> will be able to survive until you get back. You can also leave a dripping
> faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you are gone.
> Our cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors houses for
> food, but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we visit my
> daughter in another state.

That is truly NUTS and PURE STUPID to leave them alone that long with out
anyone coming to check on them.

cybercat
October 11th 09, 07:31 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in
>>> a Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without
>>> spilling a drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it
>>> off.
>>>
>> The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
>> without going bad, so if you have to leave your cats alone for some
>> period of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food
>> and they will be able to survive until you get back. You can also leave a
>> dripping faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you
>> are gone. Our cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors
>> houses for food, but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we
>> visit my daughter in another state.
>
> That is truly NUTS and PURE STUPID to leave them alone that long with out
> anyone coming to check on them.

You bet. But the sad thing is, people can do anything they want to them.

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 12:01 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
>>> she vomit.
>>>
>> My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in
>> a Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without spilling
>> a drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it off.
>
> I'd love to see that! :-)) All my cats liked milk and I can't really
> recall any that
> couldn't drink it. Lucky is so thin we're trying to get weight on her so
> she gets
> milk and a Tbs of butter every day. She loves butter. ;-)

Butter in reasonable quantities is good for cats.....It helps them pass cat
hair. We had one that cost us $800 for a hairball operation, so a little
butter now and then is a good investment...:^)

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 12:04 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>>
>> The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
>> without going bad,
>
> This is true and probably wont hurt them as long as it's only temporary.
>
> so if you have to leave your cats alone for some period
>> of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food and they
>> will be able to survive until you get back.
>
> Speaking only for myself, I would never leave one of my cats alone that
> long. We plan to take Luckycat with us when we go camping and on trips. If
> we can't take her somewhere, I'll either have my stepdaughter come over
> and check on her every other day, or Board her somewhere. Anything can
> happen with animals. Just the other night Lucky jammed herself behind my
> nightstand. She's a new cat so was probably exploring the house while we
> were asleep. She couldn't go forward and couldn't twist her body and back
> out - so she cried for help. :*( I still don't know how she got back
> there. Maybe she fell off the back of the nightstand. What would have
> happened had we been gone for days?
>
> You can also leave a dripping
>> faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you are gone.
>> Our cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors houses
>> for food, but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we visit
>> my daughter in another state.
>
> I don't have ourdoor cats but that should work for those who do.

Cats are amazingly resilient. My friend accidently locked his in his car
trunk for two weeks, and the cat survived fine......He was a little thirsty,
but after drinking some water, he jumped right back in the open trunk....:^)

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 12:12 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in
>>> a Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without
>>> spilling a drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it
>>> off.
>>>
>> The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
>> without going bad, so if you have to leave your cats alone for some
>> period of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food
>> and they will be able to survive until you get back. You can also leave a
>> dripping faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you
>> are gone. Our cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors
>> houses for food, but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we
>> visit my daughter in another state.
>
> That is truly NUTS and PURE STUPID to leave them alone that long with out
> anyone coming to check on them.

What, "check"? All my cats are outdoor cats, so they visit the neighbors
regularly. They can, (and did) survive without us before they met us, and
will continue to do so long after we are dead and gone. What's stupid is
locking your cats up inside your house, so if it burns down they will all
die.....Our cats will leave through one of the several cat doors they have
available, and watch the firemen put out the fire from the neighbors lawn
across the street.

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 12:14 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...

>>> The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
>>> without going bad, so if you have to leave your cats alone for some
>>> period of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food
>>> and they will be able to survive until you get back. You can also leave
>>> a dripping faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you
>>> are gone. Our cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the
>>> neighbors houses for food, but it is nice that they can eat their own
>>> food while we visit my daughter in another state.
>>
>> That is truly NUTS and PURE STUPID to leave them alone that long with
>> out anyone coming to check on them.
>>

> You bet. But the sad thing is, people can do anything they want to them.

No, the sad thing is people who talk through their ass without knowing
anything about what they are talking about.....

cybercat
October 12th 09, 12:30 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote
>> That is truly NUTS and PURE STUPID to leave them alone that long with
>> out anyone coming to check on them.
>>
> What, "check"? All my cats are outdoor cats

There you go, Matthew. Buh byee, asshole.

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 01:09 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote
>>> That is truly NUTS and PURE STUPID to leave them alone that long with
>>> out anyone coming to check on them.
>>>
>> What, "check"? All my cats are outdoor cats
>
> There you go, Matthew. Buh byee, asshole.

Errrr.....You left out the following....."so they visit the neighbors
regularly. They can, (and did) survive without us before they met us, and
will continue to do so long after we are dead and gone. What's stupid is
locking your cats up inside your house, so if it burns down they will all
die.....Our cats will leave through one of the several cat doors they have
available, and watch the firemen put out the fire from the neighbors lawn
across the street. "

Do you routinely separate out a part of someone's reply and use it out of
context to make your point? If so, then you are the. "asshole"......

Matthew[_3_]
October 12th 09, 02:55 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Graham" > wrote
>>>>
>>> What, "check"? All my cats are outdoor cats
>>
>> There you go, Matthew. Buh byee, asshole.
>>
> Errrr.....You left out the following....."so they visit the neighbors
> regularly. They can, (and did) survive without us before they met us, and
> will continue to do so long after we are dead and gone. What's stupid is
> locking your cats up inside your house, so if it burns down they will all
> die.....Our cats will leave through one of the several cat doors they have
> available, and watch the firemen put out the fire from the neighbors lawn
> across the street. "
>
> Do you routinely separate out a part of someone's reply and use it out of
> context to make your point? If so, then you are the. "asshole"......

Well you fit that title if you did not read your own words.

Let me highlight them for you "The chief advantage of dry food is that it
will keep for several days without going bad, so if you have to leave your
cats alone for some period of time, like a week or so, you can leave them
lots of dry food and they will be able to survive until you get back. You
can also leave a dripping faucet over a bowl so they will have water to
drink while you are gone."

Not talking about YOUR cats but the comment in general

And if you want to start a inside outside debate please walk blind folded
in traffic you will get the same results NO one wins No one will care

Kelly Greene
October 12th 09, 08:22 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> Cats are amazingly resilient. My friend accidently locked his in his car
> trunk for two weeks, and the cat survived fine......He was a little
> thirsty, but after drinking some water, he jumped right back in the open
> trunk....:^)

They are resilient. They're survivors.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 12th 09, 08:25 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>> Speaking only for myself, I would never leave one of my cats alone that
>> long.
>
> You're so right. It isn't safe, and it is cruel. They usually get upset at
> travel, so the thing to do, as you say, is to get a trusted friend or
> neighbor or to hire a service after you check it out thoroughly.

I suppose with outdoor cats people don't have the need or desire to have
someone come over while they're gone. I think I would still have a neighbor
to check on them even if they were outside cats. Another animal could come
along and eat their food. Kids could start teasing them...... etc.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 12th 09, 08:30 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>> I'd love to see that! :-)) All my cats liked milk and I can't really
>> recall any that
>> couldn't drink it. Lucky is so thin we're trying to get weight on her so
>> she gets
>> milk and a Tbs of butter every day. She loves butter. ;-)
>> --
>
> My little Gracie loves dairy, and she barely acknowledges most human food.
> She eats so little, though, she is happy with the residue on an empty bowl
> of cottage cheese, yogurt, or salad with ranch dressing. She will actually
> lick a piece of cheese, but soon shakes her head and spends the next 20
> minutes bathing.

They real little individuals. That's what makes them so interesting and so
precious. :-)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 12th 09, 08:32 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> I'd love to see that! :-)) All my cats liked milk and I can't really
>> recall any that
>> couldn't drink it. Lucky is so thin we're trying to get weight on her so
>> she gets
>> milk and a Tbs of butter every day. She loves butter. ;-)
>
> Butter in reasonable quantities is good for cats.....It helps them pass
> cat hair. We had one that cost us $800 for a hairball operation, so a
> little butter now and then is a good investment...:^)

She'll be getting butter regularly. We always have it on hand and she
enjoys it so much. Is your cat long-haired?
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 12th 09, 08:33 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Adding fat from cooking is a great idea! If you ever put up any pictures
>>> of your kitties please post a link here, I'd love to see them.
>>
>> Here she is. :-)
>> http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Lottaminya/LuckyCat4.jpg
>
> Oh! What a lovely calico, she has that rounded English looking head. She
> is just beautiful.

We think so. :-)) We love her to death and she's so sweet. She already
has my husband wrapped around her little paw. :-D
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cybercat
October 12th 09, 02:45 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>>> Speaking only for myself, I would never leave one of my cats alone that
>>> long.
>>
>> You're so right. It isn't safe, and it is cruel. They usually get upset
>> at travel, so the thing to do, as you say, is to get a trusted friend or
>> neighbor or to hire a service after you check it out thoroughly.
>
> I suppose with outdoor cats people don't have the need or desire to have
> someone come over while they're gone. I think I would still have a
> neighbor to check on them even if they were outside cats. Another animal
> could come along and eat their food. Kids could start teasing them......
> etc.

Literally ANYTHING could happen to them. How many neighborhoods are there
without cars in the US? Any at all? And how about these assholes who love to
torture and kill cats? And dogs running loose, hell, they are killing people
regularly now. Then there is disease. We had "indoor outdoor" cats when I
was a child. A lot of them. The reason? They kept getting dead. Poisoned,
meowing piteously under a bush with their guts ripped out by a dog or
crushed by a car. Bill is kfed along with everyone else who abuses cats and
brags about it here.

cybercat
October 12th 09, 02:47 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote

>> My little Gracie loves dairy, and she barely acknowledges most human
>> food. She eats so little, though, she is happy with the residue on an
>> empty bowl of cottage cheese, yogurt, or salad with ranch dressing. She
>> will actually lick a piece of cheese, but soon shakes her head and spends
>> the next 20 minutes bathing.
>
> They real little individuals. That's what makes them so interesting and
> so precious. :-)
> --

They are. :) Her housemate Boo, whom we lost to cancer last March, ate
everything in sight and even slapped at our feet when we walked past if she
though it was time to be fed. :')

cybercat
October 12th 09, 02:48 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote
> We think so. :-)) We love her to death and she's so sweet. She already
> has my husband wrapped around her little paw. :-D

I'd say she is lucky as lucky can be, as are you! We will be getting another
cat soon. :)

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 07:29 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>> I'd love to see that! :-)) All my cats liked milk and I can't really
>>> recall any that
>>> couldn't drink it. Lucky is so thin we're trying to get weight on her so
>>> she gets
>>> milk and a Tbs of butter every day. She loves butter. ;-)
>>
>> Butter in reasonable quantities is good for cats.....It helps them pass
>> cat hair. We had one that cost us $800 for a hairball operation, so a
>> little butter now and then is a good investment...:^)
>
> She'll be getting butter regularly. We always have it on hand and she
> enjoys it so much. Is your cat long-haired?
> --
I have 5 cats. Two are long haired. One, with fine, frizzy hair had a
hairball that made her stomach huge, so we and the vet thought it might be a
tumor. We had her operated on, and they just found and removed this huge
hairball. She is fine now. (That was about two years ago.) The other one has
course, hair that tangles easily.....We got a clipper set, and cut out all
the tangles. She is very happy with her new coat, even though she looks kind
of weird. Now, whenever we find a tangle, we either brush it out, or (if we
have to) cut it out.

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 07:43 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bill Graham" > wrote

>>> There you go, Matthew. Buh byee, asshole.
>>>
>> Errrr.....You left out the following....."so they visit the neighbors
>> regularly. They can, (and did) survive without us before they met us, and
>> will continue to do so long after we are dead and gone. What's stupid is
>> locking your cats up inside your house, so if it burns down they will all
>> die.....Our cats will leave through one of the several cat doors they
>> have
>> available, and watch the firemen put out the fire from the neighbors lawn
>> across the street. "
>>
>> Do you routinely separate out a part of someone's reply and use it out of
>> context to make your point? If so, then you are the. "asshole"......
>>
> Well you fit that title if you did not read your own words.
>
> Let me highlight them for you "The chief advantage of dry food is that it
> will keep for several days without going bad, so if you have to leave your
> cats alone for some period of time, like a week or so, you can leave them
> lots of dry food and they will be able to survive until you get back. You
> can also leave a dripping faucet over a bowl so they will have water to
> drink while you are gone."
>
> Not talking about YOUR cats but the comment in general
>

> And if you want to start a inside outside debate please walk blind
> folded in traffic you will get the same results NO one wins No one will
> care

And what's wrong with the comment in general....That is the chief advantage
of dry food. It doesn't go bad after a day or two, but is always available.
I don't know about your cats, so I wouldn't presume to comment on what you
feed them, or how you treat them, so please give me the same courtesy. My
cats are all outside cats because I live in an area where they are quite
safe going outside whenever they want, and I do worry about fires. I have
nothing against inside cats, and wouldn't presume to advise anyone to keep
their cats locked up inside. My cats are also very well known by my
neighbors and they are welcome in their homes at any time.....(One routinely
slips in an open window next door and visits) Everyone who loves his cats
treats them the way they want to be treated. Of my 5 cats, only one used to
be an indoor cat, and she is now quite happy being able to go outside
whenever she wants. The other 4 were always outdoor cats, and now they
seldom leave the property, even though they can go anywhere they want. One
of the great advantages is that I don't have to worry about fires, and I
live in an area where fires are a very real danger. Your circumstances might
very well be different than mine, so you should think twice before making
snap judgments about what I do, and why I do it.

Bill Graham
October 12th 09, 07:56 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>>>
>>> You're so right. It isn't safe, and it is cruel. They usually get upset
>>> at travel, so the thing to do, as you say, is to get a trusted friend or
>>> neighbor or to hire a service after you check it out thoroughly.
>>
>> I suppose with outdoor cats people don't have the need or desire to have
>> someone come over while they're gone. I think I would still have a
>> neighbor to check on them even if they were outside cats. Another animal
>> could come along and eat their food. Kids could start teasing them......
>> etc.
>
> Literally ANYTHING could happen to them. How many neighborhoods are there
> without cars in the US? Any at all? And how about these assholes who love
> to torture and kill cats? And dogs running loose, hell, they are killing
> people regularly now. Then there is disease. We had "indoor outdoor" cats
> when I was a child. A lot of them. The reason? They kept getting dead.
> Poisoned, meowing piteously under a bush with their guts ripped out by a
> dog or crushed by a car. Bill is kfed along with everyone else who abuses
> cats and brags about it here.

As I say, you know nothing about me or my circumstances. My cats are well
taken care of, and very happy. I get them checked out by a mobile vet
regularly and spent over $800 on an operation for one a couple of years ago,
and just spent over $400 getting a thyroid removed on another one who is
recuperating right now. I don't have 5 cats because I went out and got
them....They all (except one) came to me from other places because they
liked the, "cut of my jib". And I can truly say that if they didn't like
living here, they are free to leave at any time. Could something happen to
one of them while I am gone? Of course it could, but something could happen
to one or them while I am not gone, too. I can't watch all of them 24/7, and
I doubt if you can either. I hope you never come home and find no house or
cats there but just a big black hole that is left after your house has
burned to the ground.

Matthew[_3_]
October 12th 09, 10:42 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...

>>> Errrr.....You left out the following....."so they visit the neighbors
>>> regularly. They can, (and did) survive without us before they met us,
>>> and
>>> will continue to do so long after we are dead and gone. What's stupid is
>>> locking your cats up inside your house, so if it burns down they will
>>> all
>>> die.....Our cats will leave through one of the several cat doors they
>>> have
>>> available, and watch the firemen put out the fire from the neighbors
>>> lawn
>>> across the street. "
>>>
>>> Do you routinely separate out a part of someone's reply and use it out
>>> of context to make your point? If so, then you are the. "asshole"......
>>>
>> Well you fit that title if you did not read your own words.
>>
>> Let me highlight them for you "The chief advantage of dry food is that it
>> will keep for several days without going bad, so if you have to leave
>> your cats alone for some period of time, like a week or so, you can
>> leave them lots of dry food and they will be able to survive until you
>> get back. You can also leave a dripping faucet over a bowl so they will
>> have water to drink while you are gone."
>>
>> Not talking about YOUR cats but the comment in general
>>

>> And if you want to start a inside outside debate please walk blind
>> folded in traffic you will get the same results NO one wins No one will
>> care
>>

> And what's wrong with the comment in general....That is the chief
> advantage of dry food. It doesn't go bad after a day or two, but is always
> available. I don't know about your cats, so I wouldn't presume to comment
> on what you feed them, or how you treat them, so please give me the same
> courtesy. My cats are all outside cats because I live in an area where
> they are quite safe going outside whenever they want, and I do worry about
> fires. I have nothing against inside cats, and wouldn't presume to advise
> anyone to keep their cats locked up inside. My cats are also very well
> known by my neighbors and they are welcome in their homes at any
> time.....(One routinely slips in an open window next door and visits)
> Everyone who loves his cats treats them the way they want to be treated.
> Of my 5 cats, only one used to be an indoor cat, and she is now quite
> happy being able to go outside whenever she wants. The other 4 were always
> outdoor cats, and now they seldom leave the property, even though they can
> go anywhere they want. One of the great advantages is that I don't have to
> worry about fires, and I live in an area where fires are a very real
> danger. Your circumstances might very well be different than mine, so you
> should think twice before making snap judgments about what I do, and why I
> do it.

Looks like you did that for yourself

cybercat
October 12th 09, 11:07 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> g.com...

>>> Well you fit that title if you did not read your own words.
>>>
>>> Let me highlight them for you "The chief advantage of dry food is that
>>> it will keep for several days without going bad, so if you have to leave
>>> your cats alone for some period of time, like a week or so, you can
>>> leave them lots of dry food and they will be able to survive until you
>>> get back. You can also leave a dripping faucet over a bowl so they will
>>> have water to drink while you are gone."
>>>
>>> Not talking about YOUR cats but the comment in general
>>>

>>> And if you want to start a inside outside debate please walk blind
>>> folded in traffic you will get the same results NO one wins No one will
>>> care
>>>

>> And what's wrong with the comment in general....That is the chief
>> advantage of dry food. It doesn't go bad after a day or two, but is
>> always available. I don't know about your cats, so I wouldn't presume to
>> comment on what you feed them, or how you treat them, so please give me
>> the same courtesy. My cats are all outside cats because I live in an area
>> where they are quite safe going outside whenever they want, and I do
>> worry about fires. I have nothing against inside cats, and wouldn't
>> presume to advise anyone to keep their cats locked up inside. My cats are
>> also very well known by my neighbors and they are welcome in their homes
>> at any time.....(One routinely slips in an open window next door and
>> visits) Everyone who loves his cats treats them the way they want to be
>> treated. Of my 5 cats, only one used to be an indoor cat, and she is now
>> quite happy being able to go outside whenever she wants. The other 4 were
>> always outdoor cats, and now they seldom leave the property, even though
>> they can go anywhere they want. One of the great advantages is that I
>> don't have to worry about fires, and I live in an area where fires are a
>> very real danger. Your circumstances might very well be different than
>> mine, so you should think twice before making snap judgments about what I
>> do, and why I do it.
>
> Looks like you did that for yourself

What an asshole.

Kelly Greene
October 13th 09, 07:27 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote

>>> Milk used to give a couple of my cats the runs.
>>
>> As long as it doesn't make her vomit or get the runs I'll give her some
>> every morning.
>
> I would give her what she likes, esp. if she is underweight.

She is very thin. When we "adopted" her she had worms, fleas and ear mites
along with an inner ear infection. She is doing so much better today. She
goes back to see the vet next week. Her thinness doesn't show in the
pictures because she has such dense fur.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 13th 09, 07:35 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> I suppose with outdoor cats people don't have the need or desire to have
>> someone come over while they're gone. I think I would still have a
>> neighbor to check on them even if they were outside cats. Another animal
>> could come along and eat their food. Kids could start teasing them......
>> etc.
>
> Literally ANYTHING could happen to them. How many neighborhoods are there
> without cars in the US? Any at all? And how about these assholes who love
> to torture and kill cats? And dogs running loose, hell, they are killing
> people regularly now. Then there is disease. We had "indoor outdoor" cats
> when I was a child. A lot of them. The reason? They kept getting dead.
> Poisoned, meowing piteously under a bush with their guts ripped out by a
> dog or crushed by a car. Bill is kfed along with everyone else who abuses
> cats and brags about it here.

All these things are true. That's why Luckycat will never go outside alone.
Here we even have large hawks carry cats off. Indoor-outdoor cats don't
last long where I live and I live in a rural area. People here have seen
gray and red fox grab cats. Coyotes also prey on them. And yes, even with
less traffic than cities and towns have, I've seen cats, dogs, fox,
raccoons, possums and all kinds of animals run over on the roads here. In a
nearby town someone was poisoning them with antifreeze in pieces of meat
about 15 yrs ago. Many dogs and cats, and I'm sure wildlife, died painful
deaths thanks to that psychopath. Thankfully no children got hold of the
chunks of poisoned meat. He or she was never caught.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 13th 09, 07:46 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> She'll be getting butter regularly. We always have it on hand and she
>> enjoys it so much. Is your cat long-haired?
>> --
> I have 5 cats. Two are long haired. One, with fine, frizzy hair had a
> hairball that made her stomach huge, so we and the vet thought it might be
> a tumor. We had her operated on, and they just found and removed this huge
> hairball. She is fine now. (That was about two years ago.) The other one
> has course, hair that tangles easily.....We got a clipper set, and cut out
> all the tangles. She is very happy with her new coat, even though she
> looks kind of weird. Now, whenever we find a tangle, we either brush it
> out, or (if we have to) cut it out.

I never knew hairballs could get that large. I live and learn. I once had a
long hair cat from the shelter. His hair never did tangle. I'd use one of
those steel tooth combs about once a week and he looked great. I have heard
that some tangle and mat terribly.

I lost Fuzzy, an indoor-outdoor cat when he went up into my husband's car
engine. I have no idea why he would do that. When my husband parked the car
in the city, Fuzzy jumped down from wherever he was hiding all those
miles..... and fled in a panic into backyards. Had he jumped out or fallen
out on the highway it would have been certain death. I was never able to
find him. :*( I can only hope he found a good home. He was a beautiful
orange cat with a great disposition.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 13th 09, 07:52 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>> We think so. :-)) We love her to death and she's so sweet. She already
>> has my husband wrapped around her little paw. :-D
>
> I'd say she is lucky as lucky can be, as are you! We will be getting
> another cat soon. :)

Oh! Will this be your second cat? Where are you getting it from? Is it a
rescue? :-)

Today Luckycat got 2 new ultra soft fluffy blankets for her carrier. She
loves to sleep in it. I think she feels secure in it. I know she'll love the
softness of these blankets. I'll take out the old bath towels. They now
feel almost harsh by comparison. We also picked up two no-slide stainless
steel cat bowls for her. I know, I know.... we're spoiling her. ;-)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cybercat
October 13th 09, 02:07 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote
> She is very thin. When we "adopted" her she had worms, fleas and ear mites
> along with an inner ear infection. She is doing so much better today. She
> goes back to see the vet next week. Her thinness doesn't show in the
> pictures because she has such dense fur.

I figured this, about the fur. She has such plush fur!! I find calicos often
do. You probably saved her life. Forgive me if I have many more warm fuzzies
toward you than toward this guy who thinks he is just the best cat owner
because he leaves them OUTSIDE. Saving them from "house fires." Ugh.

cybercat
October 13th 09, 02:09 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote

> miles..... and fled in a panic into backyards. Had he jumped out or
> fallen out on the highway it would have been certain death. I was never
> able to find him. :*( I can only hope he found a good home. He was a
> beautiful orange cat with a great disposition.

This is heartbreaking.

cybercat
October 13th 09, 02:13 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote:

> Oh! Will this be your second cat? Where are you getting it from? Is it a
> rescue? :-)

Yes, our second since our Boo died in March at age 14. She will be a rescue,
but we have not found her yet. My husband is being very particular about
what kind of cat he wants--he wants a tiny baby with sealpoint type Siamese
looks--and he know I will not support a breeder. I would just go into the
local shelters and wait until an adult cat picks me, or pick up an adult
stray. But since he took the loss of our tuxedo girl so hard, I am trying to
follow his wishes. I just want another cat in need.

> Today Luckycat got 2 new ultra soft fluffy blankets for her carrier. She
> loves to sleep in it. I think she feels secure in it. I know she'll love
> the softness of these blankets. I'll take out the old bath towels. They
> now feel almost harsh by comparison. We also picked up two no-slide
> stainless steel cat bowls for her. I know, I know.... we're spoiling her.
> ;-)

:) Isn't it wonderful? Rescues are often so grateful, too. More pictures,
when you take them! I am going to take a short video of Gracie doing her
wiggle worm/inch worm thing every morning on the rug and put it up
somewhere. It's hilarious.

Cheryl[_3_]
October 14th 09, 02:50 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>> We think so. :-)) We love her to death and she's so sweet. She already
>> has my husband wrapped around her little paw. :-D
>
> I'd say she is lucky as lucky can be, as are you! We will be getting
> another cat soon. :)

Yay!

cybercat
October 14th 09, 02:13 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>>> We think so. :-)) We love her to death and she's so sweet. She
>>> already has my husband wrapped around her little paw. :-D
>>
>> I'd say she is lucky as lucky can be, as are you! We will be getting
>> another cat soon. :)
>
> Yay!

Yes, only he is being very picky. Has to be a small baby, has to be female,
has to be Siamese looking. How are we going to find that?

Kelly Greene
October 16th 09, 07:40 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>
>> miles..... and fled in a panic into backyards. Had he jumped out or
>> fallen out on the highway it would have been certain death. I was never
>> able to find him. :*( I can only hope he found a good home. He was a
>> beautiful orange cat with a great disposition.
>
> This is heartbreaking.

This is another reason my new cat and any other cats that join our household
will be indoor cats only. I was heartsick for days over Fuzzy. Too many
things can happen when cats go outside. It's just not worth the risk.
Happily, Luckycat shows no interest in going outside. She's quite happy
being in here with us. :-)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 16th 09, 07:52 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>>
>> Oh! Will this be your second cat? Where are you getting it from? Is it a
>> rescue? :-)
>
> Yes, our second since our Boo died in March at age 14. She will be a
> rescue, but we have not found her yet. My husband is being very particular
> about what kind of cat he wants--he wants a tiny baby with sealpoint type
> Siamese looks--and he know I will not support a breeder. I would just go
> into the local shelters and wait until an adult cat picks me, or pick up
> an adult stray. But since he took the loss of our tuxedo girl so hard, I
> am trying to follow his wishes. I just want another cat in need.

Maybe he'll come around. I once did volunteer work in a NY Animal Shelter.
The Siamese marked or "pointed" kittens were rare. I can't really remember
anyone ever leaving one at the shelter although I do recall a few adult
Siamese cats people gave up. The pointed cats are very attractive but I'm
with you... the needy cats are the ones I want. I wouldn't support breeders
either, not when cats and kittens are being put to death at the rates they
are.

>> Today Luckycat got 2 new ultra soft fluffy blankets for her carrier. She
>> loves to sleep in it. I think she feels secure in it. I know she'll love
>> the softness of these blankets. I'll take out the old bath towels. They
>> now feel almost harsh by comparison. We also picked up two no-slide
>> stainless steel cat bowls for her. I know, I know.... we're spoiling
>> her. ;-)
>

> :) Isn't it wonderful? Rescues are often so grateful, too. More pictures,
> when you take them! I am going to take a short video of Gracie doing her
> wiggle worm/inch worm thing every morning on the rug and put it up
> somewhere. It's hilarious.

I'd love to see it. :-)) Lyckycat is going camping with us for the weekend
tomorrow. I have her little bag packed with her food, snacks, a small
litterpan etc. She'll ride in the van with us until we get there. I hope
she takes to camping and traveling as we do it quite often over the summer
months.

Yes it's wonderful spoiling her. Our 3 dogs grew old and feeble and have
been at the Rainbow Bridge for several years now. The grandkids, all
teenagers, live too far to be spoiled so Luckycat has no competition. ;-)

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly Greene
October 16th 09, 07:55 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Yes, only he is being very picky. Has to be a small baby, has to be
> female, has to be Siamese looking. How are we going to find that?

I don't think you are going to find such a cat at a shelter (see my post
above). Looks are so unimportant. The cat's personality and temperament are
so much more important than color or looks. Have you asked him why he would
only accept such a cat?
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jmc
October 16th 09, 12:54 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/16/2009 2:40 AM):

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote
>>
>>> miles..... and fled in a panic into backyards. Had he jumped out or
>>> fallen out on the highway it would have been certain death. I was
>>> never able to find him. :*( I can only hope he found a good home.
>>> He was a beautiful orange cat with a great disposition.
>>
>> This is heartbreaking.
>>

> This is another reason my new cat and any other cats that join our
> household will be indoor cats only. I was heartsick for days over Fuzzy.
> Too many things can happen when cats go outside. It's just not worth
> the risk. Happily, Luckycat shows no interest in going outside. She's
> quite happy being in here with us. :-)

My cat goes outside on the deck. The side she might think of jumping
out of has hardware cloth to keep her in. Since she has bad hind legs
and arthritis, we've never worried about her trying to get out by
jumping up, and she's been proving us right for a year. Until now.

She's on a painkiller for the arthritis now. It's apparently working,
because we've seen her jump on the deck's rail a time or two after
squirrels or birds (don't worry, the critters are in no real danger). We
yell, she jumps down, end of story.

Last weekend, we couldn't find her. Searched the house, searched the
deck - and found her standing on the neighbor's deck stairs, scared,
because though she got down, she could not get back up. I kept her
attention while hubby went out via the basement door to retrieve her.
I'm glad she had the sense to stay there until she was rescued.

And just a couple of days ago, there was another cat on those stairs.

She lives for going out on the deck. Now I'm trying to figure out how
she can go out there safely, in a way that will keep her from jumping up
and over, and also not make her vulnerable to the neighbor's cats.

jmc

jmc
October 16th 09, 12:57 PM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (10/13/2009 9:13 AM):
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>> Oh! Will this be your second cat? Where are you getting it from? Is it a
>> rescue? :-)
>
> Yes, our second since our Boo died in March at age 14. She will be a rescue,
> but we have not found her yet. My husband is being very particular about
> what kind of cat he wants--he wants a tiny baby with sealpoint type Siamese
> looks--and he know I will not support a breeder.

Just take him with you whenever you got to the shelter(s) to "look for
sealpoints". Say, I just want to look, and visit with likely kittens
and cats. Sooner or later, one will chose him and he'll forget all
about sealpoints :)

My hubby was mad that I chose a black cat (well, she chose me, from a
shelter). Wasn't long before our little black kitten had him wrapped
around her little paw :)

jmc

dgk
October 16th 09, 01:51 PM
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:54:35 -0400, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/16/2009 2:40 AM):
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote

>>> This is heartbreaking.
>>>

>> This is another reason my new cat and any other cats that join our
>> household will be indoor cats only. I was heartsick for days over Fuzzy.
>> Too many things can happen when cats go outside. It's just not worth
>> the risk. Happily, Luckycat shows no interest in going outside. She's
>> quite happy being in here with us. :-)
>

>My cat goes outside on the deck. The side she might think of jumping
>out of has hardware cloth to keep her in. Since she has bad hind legs
>and arthritis, we've never worried about her trying to get out by
>jumping up, and she's been proving us right for a year. Until now.
>
>She's on a painkiller for the arthritis now. It's apparently working,
>because we've seen her jump on the deck's rail a time or two after
>squirrels or birds (don't worry, the critters are in no real danger). We
>yell, she jumps down, end of story.
>
>Last weekend, we couldn't find her. Searched the house, searched the
>deck - and found her standing on the neighbor's deck stairs, scared,
>because though she got down, she could not get back up. I kept her
>attention while hubby went out via the basement door to retrieve her.
>I'm glad she had the sense to stay there until she was rescued.
>
>And just a couple of days ago, there was another cat on those stairs.
>
>She lives for going out on the deck. Now I'm trying to figure out how
>she can go out there safely, in a way that will keep her from jumping up
>and over, and also not make her vulnerable to the neighbor's cats.
>
>jmc

I fenced in my little backyard and the cats can go out when I'm
around. There are commercial things like this:
http://www.catfencein.com/ but I just used chicken wire and some tall
poles and curve the top in. It isn't fool proof though. Things can
still get in and if they really wanted to they could climb one of the
evergreens that are higher than the fence and step on top of it.

They love going out so much that it's worth the slight risk that
something bad will happen. I have RF trackers on them
http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/ just in case one gets out. It helps to
keep track of them in the house as well.