PDA

View Full Version : Vet Tech Journals: Still unemployed....

Mischief[_2_]
October 10th 09, 02:05 PM
Went on two interviews in the past week and haven't heard anything.
I'm going to call the clinics on Monday to follow up

In the meantime, the cats are keeping me company and if i'm on the
computer too much they let me know.

In my spare time i managed to get a spare tv set up in my office, and
set up my Wii game system, which i haven't played with in a long
time.

And later that night i found out how much fun it is to play Wii games
when there's a cat in your lap.

And now I'd like to pose a question to the group....

in my spare time, I've been looking over my Vet Tech Journals, all
five years worth...and I've been contemplating turning them into a
book...

I realize a lot of my entries were sometimes posed for the cat group,
but a lot of them really gave an insight of what it was like for me to
go through school and work in the veterinary field.

So I've decided to try putting it into a book format. Once for the
RVT class newsletter, I wrote an article called 'Vet Tech Journals'
and wrote a fictional tale from a first person POV of what it was like
to to be in a class trying to draw blood for the very first time. It
was basely very much on my experiences, and it got great responses.

I'm thinking on using that same format. Creating a fictional first-
person journal chronically the events and experiences from starting
the school program, to working in the veterinary field, to graduating
and passing the board exam. Everything based on my experiences and
past VTJ entries. Of course all names would have to be changed even
further, etc....

Now, I know many people here have followed my VTJ and have thoroughly
enjoyed them. So my questions are these....

If I managed to put together a VTJ book, would you be interested in
purchasing/reading it?

Would you recommend it to others and do you think they would read it?

If I were to select a few of you and sent you snippets would you be
willing to help me write/edit?

This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how to
proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going to
possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel i
have a marketable product.

Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
here on the group or you can email me.

Thanks,

Kristi

Christine BA[_2_]
October 10th 09, 02:46 PM
Mischief kirjoitti:
<snip>
> Now, I know many people here have followed my VTJ and have thoroughly
> enjoyed them. So my questions are these....
>
> If I managed to put together a VTJ book, would you be interested in
> purchasing/reading it?
>
> Would you recommend it to others and do you think they would read it?
>
> If I were to select a few of you and sent you snippets would you be
> willing to help me write/edit?
>
> This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
> seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
> I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how to
> proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going to
> possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel i
> have a marketable product.
>
> Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
> here on the group or you can email me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kristi

As you've already stated, you're a talkative person, and you seem to be
that also in writing, I mean, it seems to be easy for you to produce
fluent text. This is a good thing when you're thinking of writing a
book. I have enjoyed your stories too, and like you said, the one you
wrote for the RVT class newsletter got a great response, so it's not
just us who like them.

On the technical side of it, if you're thinking of using a
do-it-yourself publishing service, you can probably format your pages as
you want them, I don't know, you need to check with them. However, if
you get your story accepted by a "real" publisher/printing house, you
might need to forward the text to them in basic ASCII-format (windows
notepad, for example), and they'll transfer it into their system and
format it themselves. At least this is how they did it at my mother's
former job, when she worked for a printing house, at first as a
typesetter and later in sales.

Good luck with your endeavour!! You might become the next great
vet-story author, like James Herriot and the like!! :)

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]
October 10th 09, 03:27 PM
"Mischief" > wrote in message
> Went on two interviews in the past week and haven't heard anything.
> I'm going to call the clinics on Monday to follow up
>
> In the meantime, the cats are keeping me company and if i'm on the
> computer too much they let me know.
>
> In my spare time i managed to get a spare tv set up in my office, and
> set up my Wii game system, which i haven't played with in a long
> time.
>
> And later that night i found out how much fun it is to play Wii games
> when there's a cat in your lap.
>
> And now I'd like to pose a question to the group....
>
> in my spare time, I've been looking over my Vet Tech Journals, all
> five years worth...and I've been contemplating turning them into a
> book...
>
> I realize a lot of my entries were sometimes posed for the cat group,
> but a lot of them really gave an insight of what it was like for me to
> go through school and work in the veterinary field.
>
> So I've decided to try putting it into a book format. Once for the
> RVT class newsletter, I wrote an article called 'Vet Tech Journals'
> and wrote a fictional tale from a first person POV of what it was like
> to to be in a class trying to draw blood for the very first time. It
> was basely very much on my experiences, and it got great responses.
>
> I'm thinking on using that same format. Creating a fictional first-
> person journal chronically the events and experiences from starting
> the school program, to working in the veterinary field, to graduating
> and passing the board exam. Everything based on my experiences and
> past VTJ entries. Of course all names would have to be changed even
> further, etc....
>
> Now, I know many people here have followed my VTJ and have thoroughly
> enjoyed them. So my questions are these....
>
> If I managed to put together a VTJ book, would you be interested in
> purchasing/reading it?
>
> Would you recommend it to others and do you think they would read it?
>
> If I were to select a few of you and sent you snippets would you be
> willing to help me write/edit?
>
> This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
> seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
> I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how to
> proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going to
> possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel i
> have a marketable product.
>
> Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
> here on the group or you can email me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kristi

Go for it Kristi!!! You don't really need a publisher - there are plenty of
"do it yourself" places around nowadays! Some even help w/ marketing. You
should check into it. Get the first copy(ies) printed & bound at a place
like Staples, Office Depot, Kinko's or the UPS Store - and go from there.

October 10th 09, 03:41 PM
On Oct 10, 6:22*am, Kajikit > wrote:

> >Comments? *Thoughts? *Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
> >here on the group or you can email me.

I'd be happy to buy a copy- I always enjoy the Vet Tech Journals and
as some people have already said these days you don't need an agent
and a publisher

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Joy[_3_]
October 10th 09, 07:40 PM
"Magic Mood Jeep" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
>> seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
>> I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how to
>> proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going to
>> possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel i
>> have a marketable product.
>>
>> Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
>> here on the group or you can email me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kristi
>
> Go for it Kristi!!! You don't really need a publisher - there are plenty
> of "do it yourself" places around nowadays! Some even help w/ marketing.
> You should check into it. Get the first copy(ies) printed & bound at a
> place like Staples, Office Depot, Kinko's or the UPS Store - and go from

Kristi, you can also go to a publish on demand house, like Lulu. Basically,
you are self-publishing, but they do the printing and binding, as the books
are ordered. It does cost something - I believe they charge per page - but
they will tell you up front what the cost is, so you can decide what to
charge for the books in order to make a profit.

A friend from another newsgroup is working on his fourth book, using this
method. His books are collections of stories of his experiences. If you
email me, I can tell you more about them, and send you the url to his
website, where he has a section on self-publishing.

I agree with others that a collection of your stories would make a great
book, and I'd certainly be interested.

Joy

Bobble[_6_]
October 10th 09, 07:41 PM
Christine BA > wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
@aioe.org:

> Mischief kirjoitti:
> <snip>
>> Now, I know many people here have followed my VTJ and have thoroughly
>> enjoyed them. So my questions are these....
>>
>> If I managed to put together a VTJ book, would you be interested in
>> purchasing/reading it?
>>
>> Would you recommend it to others and do you think they would read it?
>>
>> If I were to select a few of you and sent you snippets would you be
>> willing to help me write/edit?
>>
>> This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
>> seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
>> I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how
>> proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going
>> possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel
>> have a marketable product.
>>
>> Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
>> here on the group or you can email me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kristi
>
> As you've already stated, you're a talkative person, and you seem to
be
> that also in writing, I mean, it seems to be easy for you to produce
> fluent text. This is a good thing when you're thinking of writing a
> book. I have enjoyed your stories too, and like you said, the one you
> wrote for the RVT class newsletter got a great response, so it's not
> just us who like them.
>
> On the technical side of it, if you're thinking of using a
> do-it-yourself publishing service, you can probably format your pages
as
> you want them, I don't know, you need to check with them. However, if
> you get your story accepted by a "real" publisher/printing house,

Just jumping in here... my mother discovered when she tried to get
published that the "real" publishing houses will not accept anything
unless it comes from an agent.
Bobble

> you might need to forward the text to them in basic ASCII-format
(windows
> notepad, for example), and they'll transfer it into their system and
> format it themselves. At least this is how they did it at my mother's
> former job, when she worked for a printing house, at first as a
> typesetter and later in sales.
>
> Good luck with your endeavour!! You might become the next great
> vet-story author, like James Herriot and the like!! :)

Christine BA[_2_]
October 10th 09, 09:09 PM
Bobble kirjoitti:
> Christine BA > wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
> @aioe.org:
>
>> Mischief kirjoitti:
>> <snip>
>>> Now, I know many people here have followed my VTJ and have thoroughly
>>> enjoyed them. So my questions are these....
>>>
>>> If I managed to put together a VTJ book, would you be interested in
>>> purchasing/reading it?
>>>
>>> Would you recommend it to others and do you think they would read it?
>>>
>>> If I were to select a few of you and sent you snippets would you be
>>> willing to help me write/edit?
>>>
>>> This has been an idea of mine for a while, since a lot of people here
>>> seemed to enjoy the journals. I've already compiled 13 pages, but
>>> I've never written something like this before., and am not sure how
>>> proceed. I certainly have the time....But then again, if I'm going
>>> possibly publish this, i'm curious if there are any others that feel
>>> have a marketable product.
>>>
>>> Comments? Thoughts? Anything would be greatly appreciated, either
>>> here on the group or you can email me.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Kristi
>> As you've already stated, you're a talkative person, and you seem to
> be
>> that also in writing, I mean, it seems to be easy for you to produce
>> fluent text. This is a good thing when you're thinking of writing a
>> book. I have enjoyed your stories too, and like you said, the one you
>> wrote for the RVT class newsletter got a great response, so it's not
>> just us who like them.
>>
>> On the technical side of it, if you're thinking of using a
>> do-it-yourself publishing service, you can probably format your pages
> as
>> you want them, I don't know, you need to check with them. However, if
>> you get your story accepted by a "real" publisher/printing house,
>

> Just jumping in here... my mother discovered when she tried to get
> published that the "real" publishing houses will not accept anything
> unless it comes from an agent.
> Bobble

I'm sure that's true, as mom only worked at a printing company, not an
actual publishing house. So that alternative would get the book a
professional look, but no contract for sales and distribution etc.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Joy[_3_]
October 10th 09, 09:51 PM
"Christine BA" > wrote in message
> Bobble kirjoitti:
>> Christine BA > wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
>> @aioe.org:
>>
>>> Mischief kirjoitti:
>>> <snip>

>>> As you've already stated, you're a talkative person, and you seem to
>> be
>>> that also in writing, I mean, it seems to be easy for you to produce
>>> fluent text. This is a good thing when you're thinking of writing a
>>> book. I have enjoyed your stories too, and like you said, the one you
>>> wrote for the RVT class newsletter got a great response, so it's not
>>> just us who like them.
>>>
>>> On the technical side of it, if you're thinking of using a
>>> do-it-yourself publishing service, you can probably format your pages
>> as
>>> you want them, I don't know, you need to check with them. However, if
>>> you get your story accepted by a "real" publisher/printing house,
>>

>> Just jumping in here... my mother discovered when she tried to get
>> published that the "real" publishing houses will not accept anything
>> unless it comes from an agent. Bobble
>>

> I'm sure that's true, as mom only worked at a printing company, not an
> actual publishing house. So that alternative would get the book a
> professional look, but no contract for sales and distribution etc.
>

> --
> Christine in Finland
> christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

That's true. However, I understand from my friend that it is possible to
register a self-published book with Amazon.com. I'm sure there is a fee for
this, but if one wants to increase sales, it is possible.

Joy

Joy[_3_]
October 10th 09, 10:28 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
On Oct 10, 2:51 pm, "Joy" > wrote:
> "Christine BA" > wrote in message

> > Bobble kirjoitti:
> >> Christine BA > wrote in news:haq365$3au$1
> >> @aioe.org:

> >> be

> >> as
>
> >> Just jumping in here... my mother discovered when she tried to get
> >> published that the "real" publishing houses will not accept anything
> >> unless it comes from an agent. Bobble
>
> > I'm sure that's true, as mom only worked at a printing company, not an
> > actual publishing house. So that alternative would get the book a
> > professional look, but no contract for sales and distribution etc.
>
> > --
> > Christine in Finland
> > christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
>
> That's true. However, I understand from my friend that it is possible to
> register a self-published book with Amazon.com. I'm sure there is a fee
> for
> this, but if one wants to increase sales, it is possible.
>
> Joy

Not to change subject but to get down to quick cash path....I still
think with a
little marketing effort you could get a following like someone here
who has
small ads in local papers as "Critter Sitter" for dogs, cats, reptiles
and rodent
pets. No coworkers, no vet bosses, just licensed (your lecense) pet
care for
people with other things to do than walk the dog (I sometimes feel bad
watching
dog owners unhappily out in snowstorms walking dogs (realizing you are
in L.A.)
and/or vacationing. Have you considered doing this?

***

These services can also include feeding critters and giving them attention
when the owners are away. My daughter and her husband pay a pet sitter to
take care of their cats when they are traveling. The sitter cleans out the
litter box, feeds them, pets them if they'll let her, even sits a while so
they can come into her lap if they want. She also keeps a sort of diary as
to their behavior and appearance each day. If requested, she sends an email
daily, or possibly less often, either to them, or to me (if they'll be out
of touch completely). Fees can be graded according to what needs to be
done.

If you're thinking of getting into this, you might look for ads and call to
ask about fees, so you have an idea of what to charge.

Joy

John F. Eldredge
October 11th 09, 05:18 AM
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:40:07 -0700, Joy wrote:

> [...]
>> bound at a place like Staples, Office Depot, Kinko's or the UPS Store -
>> and go from there.
>
> Kristi, you can also go to a publish on demand house, like Lulu.
> Basically, you are self-publishing, but they do the printing and
> binding, as the books are ordered. It does cost something - I believe
> they charge per page - but they will tell you up front what the cost is,
> so you can decide what to charge for the books in order to make a
> profit.
>
> A friend from another newsgroup is working on his fourth book, using
> this method. His books are collections of stories of his experiences.
> If you email me, I can tell you more about them, and send you the url to
> his website, where he has a section on self-publishing.
>
> I agree with others that a collection of your stories would make a great

I regularly read a writers' newsgroup, rec.arts.sf.composition (I am not
myself a writer, but like learning about the writing process and can
occasionally help answer a background question for a writer). According
to what I have read on that newsgroup, most "brick and mortar" bookstores
(i.e., those with an actual retail storefront) aren't willing to take the
chance of buying self-published books. So, if you go the self-
publication route, you will also have to go around to public events such
as flea markets to sell the books, or sell them through a web site.

--
John F. Eldredge --

October 11th 09, 09:13 AM
John F. Eldredge wrote:

> I regularly read a writers' newsgroup, rec.arts.sf.composition (I am not
> myself a writer, but like learning about the writing process and can
> occasionally help answer a background question for a writer). According
> to what I have read on that newsgroup, most "brick and mortar" bookstores
> (i.e., those with an actual retail storefront) aren't willing to take the
> chance of buying self-published books. So, if you go the self-
> publication route, you will also have to go around to public events such
> as flea markets to sell the books, or sell them through a web site.

I guess there's always the possibility that her book will catch on,
"go viral", and be so successful that a major publishing house will
want to grab it. OK, a remote possibility - and I say that with no
disrespect toward Kristi or her journals. It's just remote in the
same way that a random person going to Hollywood with high hopes is
actually going to become the next Brad Pitt.

But not impossible. Look at Nora the piano-playing cat. A guy took
some videos of his cat playing the piano, it became a sensation on
Youtube, and then a composer wrote some music to be played specifically
with a video of Nora in the background. I don't know if that translated
into cash for Nora's humans (although they did quite well selling Nora
tchotchkes on their website), but all I'm saying is, you could end up
pretty successful by using the internet to publicize a self-published
book.

Joyce

--
Taxes: Money you complain about giving the government, to pay for
services whose absence you would complain about.