PDA

View Full Version : Rabies Vaccine-Feline Tumors Study

Kris L. Christine
October 12th 09, 03:30 PM
Research Updates: Investigating the Impact of Vaccine Administration Site Changes in Cats DVM360 October 1, 2009 by Erika Meler and Barrak Pressler http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/Medicine/Research-Updates-Investigating-the-impact-of-vacci/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/632167

"The study's results also imply that the rabies vaccine may be the most oncogenic. After 1996, when specific locations could be associated with specific vaccines, the right rear limb, which is the recommended site of rabies vaccination, was the most common site of injection-site sarcomas. "

Oncogenic: Causing or tending to cause the formation and development of tumors.

Kris L. Christine
October 12th 09, 09:19 PM
For those of you interested in information on veterinary vaccines, The Rabies Challenge Fund now has an official page on Facebook and so do I (under Kris L. Christine), where I have posted a number of articles and studies under "discussions" and "notes http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rabies-Challenge-Fund/119106981159?v=wall .

Wayne Mitchell
October 13th 09, 02:12 AM
Kris L. Christine > wrote:

>\"THE STUDY'S RESULTS ALSO IMPLY THAT THE RABIES
>VACCINE MAY BE THE MOST ONCOGENIC.

I have not read the study itself -- only this brief report. There is
nothing in the report to indicate that the study took any notice of the
likelihood that the rabies vaccine is *given* more often than other
vaccines. It reads as though the researchers were comparing only total
incidence at each vaccination site, not the ratio of incidence to total
vaccinations at each site. I suspect that the above conclusion is *not*
justified by their figures.
--

Wayne M.

Kris L. Christine
October 13th 09, 10:34 AM
The American Veterinary Medical Association actually established a Vaccine-Associated Feline Sarcoma Task Force in 1996 "in response to the increased incidence of soft tissue sarcomas occurring at vaccination sites." This link will take you to the AVMA website http://www.avma.org/vafstf/default.asp.

This link http://www.avma.org/vafstf/vafstf01.asp will take you to the 2001
Report of the Vaccine-Associated Feline Sarcoma Task Force, which states that: "Most killed-virus vaccines contain adjuvants to enhance the immune response, and injection of some killed-virus vaccines has been shown to result in inflammatory granulomas in cats.2 Some of these inflammatory granulomas to progress to sarcomas.3"

Rabies vaccines are killed, adjuvanted vaccines.

Bubble Eyes[_2_]
October 14th 09, 12:25 AM
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:30:36 +0100, Kris L. Christine
> wrote:

>THE STUDY'S RESULTS ALSO IMPLY THAT THE RABIES
>VACCINE MAY BE THE MOST ONCOGENIC. AFTER 1996, WHEN SPECIFIC LOCATIONS
>COULD BE ASSOCIATED WITH SPECIFIC VACCINES, THE RIGHT REAR LIMB, WHICH
>IS THE RECOMMENDED SITE OF RABIES VACCINATION, WAS THE MOST COMMON SITE
>OF INJECTION-SITE SARCOMAS.

Reading this sure makes up my mind, my cat will never receive a rabies
vaccination. Fortunately I had a vet for the past 10 years who understood
that my cats would receive no benefit from a rabies vaccination, being they
were indoor-only and never came in contact with other animals.

Unfortunately I moved to a different town that has the requirement that all
cats and dogs must be licensed and vaccinated annually for rabies. The cat
license requirement was recent, I suspect it was nothing more than the city
trying to generate additional tax revenue, they've lost so much money from
falling property taxes.

The problem is that when I take my cat to a new vet in this new town, the
vet will insist on a rabies vaccination since it's a city requirement. No
matter what I do I'm screwed. If I don't take my cat to a vet for a
physical I could be placing her at risk for being negligent with her
health. But if I do take her to a vet and she gets this evil rabies
vaccination I could be signing her death warrant also.

I've lost two cats to cancer in the past three years, it's not something I
want to go through again.

Phil P.
October 18th 09, 08:29 AM
"Kris L. Christine" > wrote in
message ...

> The American Veterinary Medical Association actually established a
> Vaccine-Associated Feline Sarcoma Task Force in 1996 "in response to
> the increased incidence of soft tissue sarcomas occurring at
> vaccination sites." This link will take you to the AVMA website
> http://www.avma.org/vafstf/default.asp.
>
> This link http://www.avma.org/vafstf/vafstf01.asp will take you to the
> 2001
> Report of the Vaccine-Associated Feline Sarcoma Task Force, which
> states that: "Most killed-virus vaccines contain adjuvants to enhance
> the immune response, and injection of some killed-virus vaccines has
> been shown to result in inflammatory granulomas in cats.2 Some of these
> inflammatory granulomas to progress to sarcomas.3"
>
> Rabies vaccines are killed, adjuvanted vaccines.

In 1999 the World Health Organization classified veterinary vaccine
adjuvants as Class III/VI carcinogens-- that's their second highest
level of carcinogenesis.

There's likely a genetic predisposition in some cats that makes them
susceptible to the transformation from the vaccine-induced inflammatory
response to cancer.

If your cats need to be vaccinated against Rabies- go with the Purevax from
Merial. Its a feline recombinant rabies vaccine manufactured without
adjuvants or the whole rabies virus. I have never heard of a VAS caused by
the Purevax.

Phil