PDA

View Full Version : New Cat Tearing Up Drapes


FirstHit
October 13th 09, 07:36 AM
I brought home a 1-1/2 year-old neutered male from the shelter two
days ago. Tonight he went bananas and tore up the living-room
drapes. He jumped from the loveseat (which was in front of the
drapes) onto the drapes. The drapes now have two big rips in them,
which we repaired for now with duct tape. The cat *might* have been
chasing a bug.

I would appreciate any advice on how to promptly stop this curtain
terror.

Moving the loveseat is probably not an option, and besides that
wouldn't necessarily keep the cat from jumping on the curtains. He is
strong and can jump high.

His claws are sharp, and I plan to clip his front paws before I go to
bed if he'll let me. If he won't, the vet can do it Wednesday when he
has his initial visit. I haven't had a chance to get the kitty a tree
yet and will try to get one asap. That might help as it will give him
something else to climb. I have been exercising him. He really gets
into his feather toy, and I get him running up and down the stairs
chasing the thing.

FirstHit

cybercat
October 13th 09, 02:14 PM
"Lauren" > wrote in message
...
>I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
> a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
> thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
> would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
> punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
> worse.

The post needs to be tall enough for him to stretch. They have them at
Petsmart for $15.

dgk
October 13th 09, 02:59 PM
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:36:49 -0700 (PDT), FirstHit >
wrote:

>I brought home a 1-1/2 year-old neutered male from the shelter two
>days ago. Tonight he went bananas and tore up the living-room
>drapes. He jumped from the loveseat (which was in front of the
>drapes) onto the drapes. The drapes now have two big rips in them,
>which we repaired for now with duct tape. The cat *might* have been
>chasing a bug.
>
>I would appreciate any advice on how to promptly stop this curtain
>terror.
>
>Moving the loveseat is probably not an option, and besides that
>wouldn't necessarily keep the cat from jumping on the curtains. He is
>strong and can jump high.
>
>His claws are sharp, and I plan to clip his front paws before I go to
>bed if he'll let me. If he won't, the vet can do it Wednesday when he
>has his initial visit. I haven't had a chance to get the kitty a tree
>yet and will try to get one asap. That might help as it will give him
>something else to climb. I have been exercising him. He really gets
>into his feather toy, and I get him running up and down the stairs
>chasing the thing.
>
>FirstHit


Ripping the drapes probably wasn't a good feeling for him, sliding
down as the material rips. He isn't going to do that as a normal
thing. Some cats do like climbing the drapes from the bottom but he
likely was just trying to get at something. They are perfect hunters
after all.

Your ideas are good. How about a second cat so they can tire each
other out?

Kelly Greene
October 14th 09, 02:03 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Lauren" > wrote in message
> ...
>>I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
>> a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
>> thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
>> would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
>> punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
>> worse.
>
> The post needs to be tall enough for him to stretch. They have them at
> Petsmart for $15.

PetsMart has a wonderful selection of "cat furniture" including scratch
posts. Have you seen their great selection lately? I like those carpet
covered poles with boxes on and attached to them. My son and his spouse's
cats love theirs. They set it by the window and the 3 cats hang out on it
looking out all day long. I plan to do some xmas shopping for Luckycat
there. ;-)
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of
NYC and want to share past experiences
and current events with others from NYC,
check out this free message Board:
http://members6.boardhost.com/QueensNYer/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FirstHit
October 14th 09, 11:07 AM
On Oct 13, 3:45*am, Lauren > wrote:
> I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
> *a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
> *thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
> *would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
> *punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
> *worse.

Don't worry about that! I would never hit the kitty. It would
accomplish nothing good.

I did get the tree/condo tonight (Tuesday). It's 5-1/2 ft tall and
pretty nice. Kitty appears to approve!

Also, I got no resistance when I clipped his claws.

FirstHit

FirstHit
October 14th 09, 11:11 AM
On Oct 13, 6:14*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lauren" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> >I think your ideas are very good, FirstHit. Clipping claws and buying
> > a scratch tree are number 1 things to do in this case. I was just
> > thinking about them and voila - you write it. By the way, what I
> > would strongly recommend to avoid by all means is beating him as
> > punishment. This can hardly help but only make it all
> > worse.
>
> The post needs to be tall enough for him to stretch. They have them at
> Petsmart for $15.

I have a 2-ft vertical post and one of those horizontal cardboard
things, but he's now doing most of his clawing on the new tree.

FirstHit

FirstHit
October 14th 09, 11:16 AM
On Oct 13, 6:59*am, dgk > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:36:49 -0700 (PDT), FirstHit >
> wrote:
>
>
>
> >I brought home a 1-1/2 year-old neutered male from the shelter two
> >days ago. *Tonight he went bananas and tore up the living-room
> >drapes. *He jumped from the loveseat (which was in front of the
> >drapes) onto the drapes. *The drapes now have two big rips in them,
> >which we repaired for now with duct tape. *The cat *might* have been
> >chasing a bug.
>
> >I would appreciate any advice on how to promptly stop this curtain
> >terror.
>
> >Moving the loveseat is probably not an option, and besides that
> >wouldn't necessarily keep the cat from jumping on the curtains. *He is
> >strong and can jump high.
>
> >His claws are sharp, and I plan to clip his front paws before I go to
> >bed if he'll let me. *If he won't, the vet can do it Wednesday when he
> >has his initial visit. *I haven't had a chance to get the kitty a tree
> >yet and will try to get one asap. *That might help as it will give him
> >something else to climb. *I have been exercising him. *He really gets
> >into his feather toy, and I get him running up and down the stairs
> >chasing the thing.
>
> >FirstHit
>
> Ripping the drapes probably wasn't a good feeling for him, sliding
> down as the material rips. He isn't going to do that as a normal
> thing. Some cats do like climbing the drapes from the bottom but he
> likely was just trying to get at something. They are perfect hunters
> after all.

I hope you're right. At any rate, we will hold off on replacing the
drapes right away.

FirstHit

barb
October 14th 09, 05:19 PM
Cats love those trees! My Pickles, when she first came home, tried landing
on a lamp shade while jumping from the top of the wall unit. She broke and
tore it and probably found out it wasn't as strong as it looked. I had to
replace the shade and she never did that again.

As for the drapes, they are sort of passť, and the bare look is really nice.

Barb

MLB[_2_]
October 14th 09, 07:14 PM
FirstHit wrote:
> On Oct 13, 6:59 am, dgk > wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:36:49 -0700 (PDT), FirstHit >
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> I brought home a 1-1/2 year-old neutered male from the shelter two
>>> days ago. Tonight he went bananas and tore up the living-room
>>> drapes. He jumped from the loveseat (which was in front of the
>>> drapes) onto the drapes. The drapes now have two big rips in them,
>>> which we repaired for now with duct tape. The cat *might* have been
>>> chasing a bug.
>>> I would appreciate any advice on how to promptly stop this curtain
>>> terror.
>>> Moving the loveseat is probably not an option, and besides that
>>> wouldn't necessarily keep the cat from jumping on the curtains. He is
>>> strong and can jump high.
>>> His claws are sharp, and I plan to clip his front paws before I go to
>>> bed if he'll let me. If he won't, the vet can do it Wednesday when he
>>> has his initial visit. I haven't had a chance to get the kitty a tree
>>> yet and will try to get one asap. That might help as it will give him
>>> something else to climb. I have been exercising him. He really gets
>>> into his feather toy, and I get him running up and down the stairs
>>> chasing the thing.
>>> FirstHit
>> Ripping the drapes probably wasn't a good feeling for him, sliding
>> down as the material rips. He isn't going to do that as a normal
>> thing. Some cats do like climbing the drapes from the bottom but he
>> likely was just trying to get at something. They are perfect hunters
>> after all.
>
> I hope you're right. At any rate, we will hold off on replacing the
> drapes right away.
>
> FirstHit



I gave up drapes many years ago in favor of vertical blinds. They are
practical, look good and easy to take care of. Check them out . MLB

dgk
October 15th 09, 02:17 PM
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 03:16:35 -0700 (PDT), FirstHit >
wrote:

>On Oct 13, 6:59*am, dgk > wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:36:49 -0700 (PDT), FirstHit >
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> >I brought home a 1-1/2 year-old neutered male from the shelter two
>> >days ago. *Tonight he went bananas and tore up the living-room
>> >drapes. *He jumped from the loveseat (which was in front of the
>> >drapes) onto the drapes. *The drapes now have two big rips in them,
>> >which we repaired for now with duct tape. *The cat *might* have been
>> >chasing a bug.
>>
>> >I would appreciate any advice on how to promptly stop this curtain
>> >terror.
>>
>> >Moving the loveseat is probably not an option, and besides that
>> >wouldn't necessarily keep the cat from jumping on the curtains. *He is
>> >strong and can jump high.
>>
>> >His claws are sharp, and I plan to clip his front paws before I go to
>> >bed if he'll let me. *If he won't, the vet can do it Wednesday when he
>> >has his initial visit. *I haven't had a chance to get the kitty a tree
>> >yet and will try to get one asap. *That might help as it will give him
>> >something else to climb. *I have been exercising him. *He really gets
>> >into his feather toy, and I get him running up and down the stairs
>> >chasing the thing.
>>
>> >FirstHit
>>
>> Ripping the drapes probably wasn't a good feeling for him, sliding
>> down as the material rips. He isn't going to do that as a normal
>> thing. Some cats do like climbing the drapes from the bottom but he
>> likely was just trying to get at something. They are perfect hunters
>> after all.
>
>I hope you're right. At any rate, we will hold off on replacing the
>drapes right away.
>
>FirstHit


On the other hand, maybe it was sort of like an amusement park ride.
Wheeeee! Down we go!

Nah, cats like to be in control and slipping down the drapes couldn't
have felt right.

barb
October 15th 09, 03:46 PM
MLB is right about vertical blinds. They can be totally opened, opened on a
slant to let in light but keep out sun, and the cats can stick their heads
through to look out the window. When they walk away the verticals fall
right back into place. They stay clean longer and don't bend.

Barb

Rene S.
October 15th 09, 04:47 PM
> I did get the tree/condo tonight (Tuesday). *It's 5-1/2 ft tall and
> pretty nice. *Kitty appears to approve!
>
> Also, I got no resistance when I clipped his claws.
>
> FirstHit

I'm glad you got a taller tree. I'm sure he'll love climbing it.
Keeping his nails trimmed will also make a big difference.

I'd suggest either temporarily removing the drapes or tying them back
so they aren't near the floor. I did this when our kitten was in that
climbing stage and she soon forgot about them.

He's in that adolescent, active stage right now. Lots of play sessions
and rotating his toys will release that energy!