PDA

View Full Version : Re: deceased cockerel

Christina Websell
October 14th 09, 06:50 PM
"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> my grandmother and my sister now never says who is getting eaten, both
> women always did/do the slaughter when the kids aren't there. teaching a
> child to care for animals is very important, but taking care of their
> feelings is just as important.
>
> btw i have a question for you, you mentioned rats but you have never
> mentioned snakes around the birds, does uk not have snakes? Lee

Yes, we have three native species, only one is venomous and none of them eat
chickens, chicks or eggs <phew>

http://www.interestinganimals.net/british_snakes/british_snakes.html

It's bad enough having foxes gagging to get at my poultry let alone snakes!!

In my whole life I have seen a grass snake three times. I caught one when I
was a kid and wanted to keep it as a pet. I was not put off by the stinky
stuff it sprayed at me from its vent and hurried back to my grandparent's
house with it.
I put it in a cardboard box but somehow it escaped overnight when I was in
bed.
I wonder how that happened ;-) My grandparents assured me that grass snakes
could easily eat through cardboard boxes and it was a pity that aged 8 I
hadn't realised that. They said it was a pity I hadn't thought about
plastic..

I've seen a smooth snake once, dead at the side of the road, years ago.

I've never seen an adder. I know they exist, but they prefer a different
habitat to the one I live in. Apart from that, apparently they are quite
shy and prefer to disappear if they hear humans approaching.
You could get bitten if you accidentally stepped on one, but even so you are
very likely to be OK with hospital treatment. They wouldn't hunt you ;-)

Tweed

Stormmmee
October 14th 09, 07:39 PM
part of my snake phobia is i am suure from a time when my grandmother went
to get eggs i went with her and she put her hand under the chicken and
pulled out a snake, Lee still makes me shudder

--
Have a great day
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> my grandmother and my sister now never says who is getting eaten, both
>> women always did/do the slaughter when the kids aren't there. teaching a
>> child to care for animals is very important, but taking care of their
>> feelings is just as important.
>>
>> btw i have a question for you, you mentioned rats but you have never
>> mentioned snakes around the birds, does uk not have snakes? Lee
>>
> Yes, we have three native species, only one is venomous and none of them
> eat chickens, chicks or eggs <phew>
>
> http://www.interestinganimals.net/british_snakes/british_snakes.html
>
> It's bad enough having foxes gagging to get at my poultry let alone
> snakes!!
>
> In my whole life I have seen a grass snake three times. I caught one when
> I was a kid and wanted to keep it as a pet. I was not put off by the
> stinky stuff it sprayed at me from its vent and hurried back to my
> grandparent's house with it.
> I put it in a cardboard box but somehow it escaped overnight when I was in
> bed.
> I wonder how that happened ;-) My grandparents assured me that grass
> snakes could easily eat through cardboard boxes and it was a pity that
> aged 8 I hadn't realised that. They said it was a pity I hadn't thought
> about plastic..
>
> I've seen a smooth snake once, dead at the side of the road, years ago.
>
> I've never seen an adder. I know they exist, but they prefer a different
> habitat to the one I live in. Apart from that, apparently they are quite
> shy and prefer to disappear if they hear humans approaching.
> You could get bitten if you accidentally stepped on one, but even so you
> are very likely to be OK with hospital treatment. They wouldn't hunt you
> ;-)
>
> Tweed

Cheryl[_5_]
October 14th 09, 07:40 PM
Christina Websell wrote:

> Yes, we have three native species, only one is venomous and none of them eat
> chickens, chicks or eggs <phew>
>
> http://www.interestinganimals.net/british_snakes/british_snakes.html
>
> It's bad enough having foxes gagging to get at my poultry let alone snakes!!
>
> In my whole life I have seen a grass snake three times. I caught one when I
> was a kid and wanted to keep it as a pet. I was not put off by the stinky
> stuff it sprayed at me from its vent and hurried back to my grandparent's
> house with it.
> I put it in a cardboard box but somehow it escaped overnight when I was in
> bed.
> I wonder how that happened ;-) My grandparents assured me that grass snakes
> could easily eat through cardboard boxes and it was a pity that aged 8 I
> hadn't realised that. They said it was a pity I hadn't thought about
> plastic..
>
> I've seen a smooth snake once, dead at the side of the road, years ago.
>
> I've never seen an adder. I know they exist, but they prefer a different
> habitat to the one I live in. Apart from that, apparently they are quite
> shy and prefer to disappear if they hear humans approaching.
> You could get bitten if you accidentally stepped on one, but even so you are
> very likely to be OK with hospital treatment. They wouldn't hunt you ;-)

I nearly did step on an adder on a visit to England. I didn't know at
the time how unusual it was. I was off on a hiking trail just marching
along and spotted it just as my foot was about to descend. It didn't
instantly slither off so I was able to study it carefully and describe
it to some English friends I met for a meal later. They told me it was
poisonous, but not really *deadly* poisonous, and that it was a bit
unusual to see one although they were sometimes spotted near primary
schools, and the children were all told to wear their rainboots until
the danger passed.

--
Cheryl

Stormmmee
October 14th 09, 07:49 PM
i am not scared of much but snakes are on that short list, lee

--
Have a great day
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Christina Websell wrote:
>
>> Yes, we have three native species, only one is venomous and none of them
>> eat chickens, chicks or eggs <phew>
>>
>> http://www.interestinganimals.net/british_snakes/british_snakes.html
>>
>> It's bad enough having foxes gagging to get at my poultry let alone
>> snakes!!
>>
>> In my whole life I have seen a grass snake three times. I caught one
>> when I was a kid and wanted to keep it as a pet. I was not put off by
>> the stinky stuff it sprayed at me from its vent and hurried back to my
>> grandparent's house with it.
>> I put it in a cardboard box but somehow it escaped overnight when I was
>> in bed.
>> I wonder how that happened ;-) My grandparents assured me that grass
>> snakes could easily eat through cardboard boxes and it was a pity that
>> aged 8 I hadn't realised that. They said it was a pity I hadn't thought
>> about plastic..
>>
>> I've seen a smooth snake once, dead at the side of the road, years ago.
>>
>> I've never seen an adder. I know they exist, but they prefer a different
>> habitat to the one I live in. Apart from that, apparently they are quite
>> shy and prefer to disappear if they hear humans approaching.
>> You could get bitten if you accidentally stepped on one, but even so you
>> are very likely to be OK with hospital treatment. They wouldn't hunt you
>> ;-)
>
> I nearly did step on an adder on a visit to England. I didn't know at the
> time how unusual it was. I was off on a hiking trail just marching along
> and spotted it just as my foot was about to descend. It didn't instantly
> slither off so I was able to study it carefully and describe it to some
> English friends I met for a meal later. They told me it was poisonous, but
> not really *deadly* poisonous, and that it was a bit unusual to see one
> although they were sometimes spotted near primary schools, and the
> children were all told to wear their rainboots until the danger passed.
>

> --
> Cheryl

Christina Websell
October 14th 09, 08:48 PM
"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>i am not scared of much but snakes are on that short list, lee
>
> --
> Have a great day
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Christina Websell wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, we have three native species, only one is venomous and none of them
>>> eat chickens, chicks or eggs <phew>
>>>
>>> http://www.interestinganimals.net/british_snakes/british_snakes.html
>>>
>>> It's bad enough having foxes gagging to get at my poultry let alone
>>> snakes!!
>>>
>>> In my whole life I have seen a grass snake three times. I caught one
>>> when I was a kid and wanted to keep it as a pet. I was not put off by
>>> the stinky stuff it sprayed at me from its vent and hurried back to my
>>> grandparent's house with it.
>>> I put it in a cardboard box but somehow it escaped overnight when I was
>>> in bed.
>>> I wonder how that happened ;-) My grandparents assured me that grass
>>> snakes could easily eat through cardboard boxes and it was a pity that
>>> aged 8 I hadn't realised that. They said it was a pity I hadn't thought
>>> about plastic..
>>>
>>> I've seen a smooth snake once, dead at the side of the road, years ago.
>>>
>>> I've never seen an adder. I know they exist, but they prefer a
>>> different habitat to the one I live in. Apart from that, apparently
>>> they are quite shy and prefer to disappear if they hear humans
>>> approaching.
>>> You could get bitten if you accidentally stepped on one, but even so you
>>> are very likely to be OK with hospital treatment. They wouldn't hunt
>>> you ;-)
>>
>> I nearly did step on an adder on a visit to England. I didn't know at the
>> time how unusual it was. I was off on a hiking trail just marching along
>> and spotted it just as my foot was about to descend. It didn't instantly
>> slither off so I was able to study it carefully and describe it to some
>> English friends I met for a meal later. They told me it was poisonous,
>> but not really *deadly* poisonous, and that it was a bit unusual to see
>> one although they were sometimes spotted near primary schools, and the
>> children were all told to wear their rainboots until the danger passed.

They were making fun of you.
Adders do not stalk primary schools. They live in heathland and most Brits
have never even seen one.

Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

Tweed

MatSav
October 14th 09, 10:26 PM
Christina Websell wrote:

> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

<fx: Hands stay firmly by my side>

I've seen an adder in the wild. I've also handled "pet" snakes
twice - once at work(!), and once at a Scout Troop meeting.

</fx>

Adrian[_2_]
October 14th 09, 10:56 PM
Christina Websell wrote:
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> i am not scared of much but snakes are on that short list, lee
>>
>> --
>> Have a great day

>>> I nearly did step on an adder on a visit to England. I didn't know
>>> at the time how unusual it was. I was off on a hiking trail just
>>> marching along and spotted it just as my foot was about to descend.
>>> It didn't instantly slither off so I was able to study it carefully
>>> and describe it to some English friends I met for a meal later.
>>> They told me it was poisonous, but not really *deadly* poisonous,
>>> and that it was a bit unusual to see one although they were
>>> sometimes spotted near primary schools, and the children were all
>>> told to wear their rainboots until the danger passed.
> They were making fun of you.
> Adders do not stalk primary schools. They live in heathland and most
> Brits have never even seen one.
>
> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)
>
> Tweed

In my lifetime I've seen two adders and several grass snakes. One of the
grass snakes was a large female that one of the cats brought home, I don't
know who, I saw three cats staring under a chair in the conservatory and
found the snake. I put it in a box and released it outside.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

MatSav
October 14th 09, 10:58 PM
MatSav wrote:
> Christina Websell wrote:
> >
> > Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
> > Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)
>
> <fx: Hands stay firmly by my side>
>
> I've seen an adder in the wild. I've also handled "pet" snakes
> twice - once at work(!), and once at a Scout Troop meeting.
>
> </fx>

Ooops! I meant, of course:

<fx: both arms raised>
</fx>

--
MatSav

Cheryl[_5_]
October 14th 09, 11:32 PM
Christina Websell wrote:

> They were making fun of you.
> Adders do not stalk primary schools. They live in heathland and most Brits
> have never even seen one.
>
> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

I think the adder I saw forgot to read the book that said it was
supposed to live on heathlands, although admittedly it wasn't very far
from the downs, which may or may not count. And my friends didn't say
that adders stalk or hunt schools; they said sometimes - rarely - an
adder was spotted in the area immediately around a school.

Really, you must think I met the rudest people of all, and I can assure
you that's not the case and they weren't the type who like amusing
themselves at someone else's expense.

--
Cheryl

Stormmmee
October 15th 09, 12:07 AM
well lemme tell youu, if i had been you one of two things would have
happened... either i would have wet myself and drowned it, or it would have
bit me multiple times when i passed out and fell onto it. Leee

--
Have a great day
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Christina Websell wrote:
>
>> They were making fun of you.
>> Adders do not stalk primary schools. They live in heathland and most
>> Brits have never even seen one.
>>
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)
>
> I think the adder I saw forgot to read the book that said it was supposed
> to live on heathlands, although admittedly it wasn't very far from the
> downs, which may or may not count. And my friends didn't say that adders
> stalk or hunt schools; they said sometimes - rarely - an adder was spotted
> in the area immediately around a school.
>
> Really, you must think I met the rudest people of all, and I can assure
> you that's not the case and they weren't the type who like amusing
> themselves at someone else's expense.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Jack Campin - bogus address
October 15th 09, 12:52 AM
> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.

Nope.

> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)

In zoos and pet shops, lots. In the wild, a few grass snakes in
England and some sort of adder in north-east Turkey.

I feel fairly neutral about them. The only life-forms that really
give me the willies are starfish and bristleworms.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Jofirey
October 15th 09, 01:07 AM
"Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in
message ...
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
>
> Nope.
>
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)
>
> In zoos and pet shops, lots. In the wild, a few grass snakes in
> England and some sort of adder in north-east Turkey.
>
> I feel fairly neutral about them. The only life-forms that really
> give me the willies are starfish and bristleworms.

Starfish? That's about on a par with an aversion to butterflies!
We used to collect them at the beach, along with sand dollars. Of
course there really is no reason behind those feelings.

Jo

Cheryl[_5_]
October 15th 09, 10:44 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
>
> Nope.
>
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)
>
> In zoos and pet shops, lots. In the wild, a few grass snakes in
> England and some sort of adder in north-east Turkey.
>
> I feel fairly neutral about them. The only life-forms that really
> give me the willies are starfish and bristleworms.

I can't think of any animal that automatically gives me the willies.
There are some I like less than others - worms, earwigs, rats and mice
come to mind, and I wouldn't mind the rats and mice so much if I didn't
think they were chewing on the wiring or spreading disease. I was once
allowed to handle a snake in a zoo, which may have helped avoid the
willies with them. And we don't have snakes at all where I grew up, so I
wasn't warned from infancy how nasty and dangerous they were. And some
certainly are dangerous.

One of my sisters has an aversion to spiders, and my mother had a
special horror of the brown recluse, whose bite can be very nasty, when
she lived in the same part of the world they do.

--
Cheryl

MaryL
October 16th 09, 10:54 PM
"Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in message
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen an adder.
>
> Nope.
>
>> Hands up the Brits who have seen any snake at all ;-)
>
> In zoos and pet shops, lots. In the wild, a few grass snakes in
> England and some sort of adder in north-east Turkey.
>
> I feel fairly neutral about them. The only life-forms that really
> give me the willies are starfish and bristleworms.
>
> ==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk>
> ====
> Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739
> 557
> CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic
> fonts
> ****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted
> ******

The one thing that I really detest are those huge "cockroaches" (actually,
water bugs) that we have in East Texas. They grow to enormous size when
compared to most insects, they fly, and they can quickly slither under tiny
crevices that look like they could not possibley accomodate a creature of
that size. Fortunately, I seldom see them indoors, but that's because I
have an exterminator come to the house 4 times a year. Of course, all
pesticides have to be safe for my furbabies!

Snakes don't bother me. I give them wide berth until I can be sure they are
not poisonous, but most snakes are benign and even useful. My brother used
to catch snakes when he was a little kid and walk around with them in his
pocket (then would release them back into the creek).

MaryL

Stormmee
October 18th 09, 12:15 AM
my sister made lots of spending money catching them and selling them to the
boys in our block... when they returned it saying their mom said no, my
sister said sorry all sales final... i swear she sold the same snake six
times one summer, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day