PDA

View Full Version : Tiger can still climb

---MIKE---
October 19th 09, 06:11 PM
My large scratching post (sisal) is 4 feet high with a platform on top.
Tiger is 10 1/2 years old and weighs 24 pounds. He can still climb
right up the post to get on the platform to watch the bird feeder. He
is in good shape!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Jack Campin - bogus address
October 19th 09, 06:33 PM
> My large scratching post (sisal) is 4 feet high with a platform on top.
> Tiger is 10 1/2 years old and weighs 24 pounds. He can still climb
> right up the post to get on the platform to watch the bird feeder. He
> is in good shape!

That implies an awesome thud when he jumps off.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

MaryL
October 20th 09, 05:53 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
My large scratching post (sisal) is 4 feet high with a platform on top.
Tiger is 10 1/2 years old and weighs 24 pounds. He can still climb
right up the post to get on the platform to watch the bird feeder. He
is in good shape!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Being able to climb at 10+ years old is no surprise. Holly had her 14th
birthday in June, and she can still leap to the mantel. Duffy is
approximately 11 years old, and he scurries up and down his cat trees like a
little gymnast. My first cat was a true athlete until he was about 19 years
old. So, age does not surprise me when you talke about a cat that remains
agile. But the weight of 24 pounds does concern me. That is really asking
for trouble in the health department.

MaryL

October 20th 09, 06:40 AM
MaryL wrote:

> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> My large scratching post (sisal) is 4 feet high with a platform on top.
> Tiger is 10 1/2 years old and weighs 24 pounds. He can still climb
> right up the post to get on the platform to watch the bird feeder. He
> is in good shape!

> Being able to climb at 10+ years old is no surprise. Holly had her 14th
> birthday in June, and she can still leap to the mantel. Duffy is
> approximately 11 years old, and he scurries up and down his cat trees like a
> little gymnast. My first cat was a true athlete until he was about 19 years
> old. So, age does not surprise me when you talke about a cat that remains
> agile. But the weight of 24 pounds does concern me. That is really asking
> for trouble in the health department.

I used to know an 18-year-old cat who weighed about 29 pounds, and he
was not a Maine Coon or bengal or any other breed that gets big. Just
an ordinary black cat. But he was jumping onto the furniture just like
a young adult - neither age nor weight was holding him back.

Joyce

--
audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.

Phoenix
October 20th 09, 09:13 PM
wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
> > Being able to climb at 10+ years old is no surprise. Holly had her 14th
> > birthday in June, and she can still leap to the mantel.
> I used to know an 18-year-old cat who weighed about 29 pounds, and he
> was not a Maine Coon or bengal or any other breed that gets big. Just
> an ordinary black cat. But he was jumping onto the furniture just like
> a young adult - neither age nor weight was holding him back.

And Fearless is 18-1/2 now, extremely arthritic in his hips
(which is why he gets incontinence pads on the floor along with a
VERY short-walled catbox, as he has trouble "holding the
position" on much litter). Yet he routinely jumps up on the Very
Tall bed to sleep.

Actually, we think he levitates.

Deborah
slave to the magnificent seven

PS my DH has a cell phone photo of Molly (the d-g), Miss Kitty,
and Little Bit (the blind cat) all sleeping together on the
loveseat. Cyyyyooooote!

--

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the
most shocking and inhumane."-Martin Luther King, Jr.

---MIKE---
October 20th 09, 11:22 PM
Tiger is not fat. He "looks" fat because of all the fur. He is at
least part Maine Coon so his weight is not that unusual. He is a lap
cat so I am used to all that weight on my legs.