PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Bittersweet

jmcquown[_2_]
October 22nd 09, 08:55 PM
Nearly a year after my mother's death last November and well over that since
the death of my father, I packed up their clothes for donation to the SA
(Salvation Army) this week. The boxes are stacked in the garage awaiting
pickup next week.

It was difficult enough to unload their closets and dressers, which I mostly
did over the course of a few months. It was another thing entirely to
really go through the items and box them up. I'd run into things, like a
wool shirt I bought for my father or a sweater I'd sent to my mother... I'd
sigh, then pack them in the box. But I know they will be offered
inexpensively at the SA store (unlike Goodwill which by all accounts jacks
up the prices on donated goods in order to make a profit).

Since the animal shelter said they wouldn't take sheets and blankets I did
contact the SA and they said sure, bring 'em on! They also said they didn't
have a problem with taking used (we're not talking raggedy) long
underwear... the woman said those fly off the shelves at their shop. It
doesn't get really cold here but if you're elderly you do feel the chill in
the air. So I boxed those up, too. It's bittersweet but it needed to be
done. People in need will be able to get clothing and other household items
inexpensively.

I encourage anyone who has anything they aren't using, any clothing,
household items, even tchotchkes: donate them to the thrift shop of your
choice.

OB Cats: Persia has been playing like mad since the slight drop in temps.
It's been in the high 70's (farenheit) to lower 80's here. It's quite a
drop from the 90's of two weeks ago, especially without the humidity. It's
Fall! I've had the windows open. She feels great. She's having a lot of
fun tossing toy mousies around and licking her catnip filled sock like mad
:) Given her increased activity I believe she's dropped a few pounds, to
boot! She's happy, healthy and purrs a lot. <G>

Jill

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
October 22nd 09, 10:34 PM
jmcquown wrote:
> But I know they
> will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike Goodwill which by
> all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in order to make a
> profit).

What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?

> Since the animal shelter said they wouldn't take sheets and blankets

I find it difficult to understand why they would not! Even my vet posts
signs in their office requesting patrons' used towels and bedding for
use in their boarding facility.

jmcquown[_2_]
October 22nd 09, 11:17 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> jmcquown wrote:
>> But I know they will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike
>> Goodwill which by all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in
>> order to make a profit).
>
> What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
> further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?

Not to the point of the PROFITS sending "Executves" on "retreats" to golf
course resorts, vacations to Maui... these are "business meetings". YEAH,
RIGHT. I'm not giving money to them or the United Way for the same reason
No way, no how. Find a local charity shop. I probably will for my own
items I should never have moved here. LOL

Jill

Joy
October 22nd 09, 11:51 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message
>>

>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> But I know they will be offered inexpensively at the SA store (unlike
>>> Goodwill which by all accounts jacks up the prices on donated goods in
>>> order to make a profit).
>>
>> What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
>> further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?
>>
> Not to the point of the PROFITS sending "Executves" on "retreats" to golf
> course resorts, vacations to Maui... these are "business meetings". YEAH,
> RIGHT. I'm not giving money to them or the United Way for the same reason
> No way, no how. Find a local charity shop. I probably will for my own
> items I should never have moved here. LOL
>
> Jill

If you can't find a charity shop, there's always Freecycle.

Joy

jmcquown[_2_]
October 23rd 09, 12:32 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> jmcquown wrote:
> I find it difficult to understand why they would not! Even my vet posts
> signs in their office requesting patrons' used towels and bedding for use
> in their boarding facility.

You apparently missed the entire discussion re: shelter donations some weeks
back, Evelyn. I called the animal shelter. They said they don't accept
used towels or *flannel* sheets because the dogs rip them up and eat them,
often causing obstructions. They didn't mention cats, they simply said no
towels or flannel sheets.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
October 23rd 09, 12:34 PM
"Joy" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> What's wrong with the Goodwill making a profit???? The money goes to a
>>> further their primary purpose of helping the indigent, doesn't it?
>>>
>> Not to the point of the PROFITS sending "Executves" on "retreats" to golf
>> course resorts, vacations to Maui... these are "business meetings".
>> YEAH, RIGHT. I'm not giving money to them or the United Way for the same
>> reason No way, no how. Find a local charity shop. I probably will for
>> my own items I should never have moved here. LOL
>>
>> Jill
>
> If you can't find a charity shop, there's always Freecycle.
>
> Joy

I love the concept of Freecycle. But someone here once mentioned having
trouble after posting something on Freecycle. I can't recall the details...

Jill

William Hamblen[_2_]
October 23rd 09, 05:20 PM
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:37:05 -0700 (PDT), hopitus
> wrote:

>I have, in many years, only had one beef with the SA and that is that
>here in
>MileHigh they insisted you could not charge anything that did not cost
>at least
>$5. In other words, a five-buck minimum charge for credit cards. This
>was b.s.
>as the card banks swarm on anyone who enforces this on customers.
>Since
>I have lived here, someone straightened the SA out re that beef, and
>they no
>longer adhere to it. I am far more a customer than a donor.

Bank fees take a big chunk out of small purchases. It is more
charitable to pay cash. I think I would break out in hives if I
charged a five dollar purchase. The very thought of the bank fees
makes me itch. I am no fan of banks.

Bud