PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, disaster. Two more kittens!

dgk
October 23rd 09, 02:51 PM
I set up a nice box outside the front of my house for Scooter to spend
the winter. I've seen his girl, Pretty Girl, go in the box but not
Scooter. Today I looked in the box and saw some black fur at the back.
At first I thought it was Scooter but it was too small. It looked like
someone had put in a little black furry pad. A little later it moved
and appears to be two, or maybe three, black kittens.

Really, just what I didn't want. I had Scooter fixed two weeks ago but
not Pretty Girl. Apparently Scooter had one last fling.

Now what? These kittens aren't newborn, so Mom is bringing them from
somewhere. It's quite possible more will show up.That box is going to
get cramped.

I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
fixing all these cats.

cybercat
October 23rd 09, 06:26 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
> fixing all these cats.

Yes, indeed. You might check around to see if anyone you know wants a little
kitten. They can be weaned at 8 weeks, and they have a chance of being pets,
not ferals this way. We want to adopt sibling babies, but my husband does
not want kittens that look like the cat we lost to cancer last spring--and
she was black. Good luck.

dgk[_2_]
October 25th 09, 04:40 AM
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:26:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>> I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
>> fixing all these cats.
>
>Yes, indeed. You might check around to see if anyone you know wants a little
>kitten. They can be weaned at 8 weeks, and they have a chance of being pets,
>not ferals this way. We want to adopt sibling babies, but my husband does
>not want kittens that look like the cat we lost to cancer last spring--and
>she was black. Good luck.

The mother is not Pretty Girl, it turns out to be Jet (Jet Black). She
is in the box with the kittens and Scooter is hanging around.
Apparently he knocked up Jet before getting fixed. Since I'm pretty
sure Jet is his daughter, it's clear that Scooter just has no shame.

The kittens are doing fine. Mom freaks every time we hang out on the
steps but she is getting used to it. Especially since she often gets
food out of the deal. I'm going to try to handle the kittens soon so
they get a feel for humans.

MLB[_2_]
October 25th 09, 05:56 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:26:55 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dgk" > wrote
>>> I think I need to get in touch with a TNR group. I can't pay for
>>> fixing all these cats.
>> Yes, indeed. You might check around to see if anyone you know wants a little
>> kitten. They can be weaned at 8 weeks, and they have a chance of being pets,
>> not ferals this way. We want to adopt sibling babies, but my husband does
>> not want kittens that look like the cat we lost to cancer last spring--and
>> she was black. Good luck.
>>

> The mother is not Pretty Girl, it turns out to be Jet (Jet Black). She
> is in the box with the kittens and Scooter is hanging around.
> Apparently he knocked up Jet before getting fixed. Since I'm pretty
> sure Jet is his daughter, it's clear that Scooter just has no shame.
>
> The kittens are doing fine. Mom freaks every time we hang out on the
> steps but she is getting used to it. Especially since she often gets
> food out of the deal. I'm going to try to handle the kittens soon so
> they get a feel for humans.

Sending best wishes and purrs for Jet and her babes. It is so much fun
to watch the development of baby cats. MLB

Lesley
October 25th 09, 05:17 PM
On 24 Oct, 20:40, dgk > wrote:
Since I'm pretty
> sure Jet is his daughter, it's clear that Scooter just has no shame.

Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"

And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"

And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
BROTHER and SISTER!!!"

We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Dragoman
October 25th 09, 11:40 PM
Lesley wrote:

> Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
> friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
> apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"
>
> And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"
>
> And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
> BROTHER and SISTER!!!"
>
> We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo

Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
different topic.)

> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That's the spirit! :)

MLB[_2_]
October 26th 09, 05:42 AM
Dragoman wrote:
> Lesley wrote:
>>
>> Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
>> friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
>> apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"
>>
>> And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"
>>
>> And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
>> BROTHER and SISTER!!!"
>>
>> We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo
>
> Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
> different topic.)
>

>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>
> That's the spirit! :)

No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?
MLB

Dragoman
October 26th 09, 06:06 AM
MLB wrote:
> Dragoman wrote:
>> Lesley wrote:
>>>
>>> We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo
>>
>> Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
>> different topic.)
>
> No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?

Are we talking people or cats here? :)
I was mostly objecting to the fact that taboos, by definition, are
social constructs, and cats can't have taboos, also by the same
definition. They can have instincts, and incest avoidance is not one of
them, because they don't need it, being most likely offspring of
different fathers. Humans, however, need it, as you aptly observe, and
we humans have it - the Westermark effect. So, we don't need taboos -
instincts can take very good care of things, thankyouverymuch.

cybercat
October 26th 09, 01:25 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Dragoman wrote:
>> Lesley wrote:
>>>
>>> Reminds me of a conversation I had many years ago I was telling a
>>> friend that a mutual friend had just had her 2 cats fixed and this
>>> apparently intelligent guy said "Aren't Jenny's kittens a bit young"
>>>
>>> And I said "5 months but Fred's been mounting Wilma"
>>>
>>> And he looked at me and with total shocked horror said "But they're
>>> BROTHER and SISTER!!!"
>>>
>>> We had to explain that cats have no incest taboo
>>
>> Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
>> different topic.)
>>

>>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>>
>> That's the spirit! :)
>

> No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?

Why not. He appears to be the result of one.

MLB[_2_]
October 26th 09, 07:15 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> Dragoman wrote:

>>> Cats have no taboos! (And neither should people, but that's a
>>> different topic.)

>>> That's the spirit! :)
>>
>> No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?
>
> Why not. He appears to be the result of one.

That is what I meant! MLB

Dragoman
October 26th 09, 08:14 PM
MLB wrote:
> cybercat wrote:

>>> No taboos? Do you prefer a double dose of bad genes?
>>
>> Why not. He appears to be the result of one.
>>
> That is what I meant! MLB

You guys have a reading comprehension problem? Or just pretend to,
for the argument? Anyhow, I'm not falling for it, and I'm not going to
explain it twice.
"If you don't get it, you don't get it."

cybercat
October 26th 09, 08:27 PM
"MLB" > wrote
> That is what I meant! MLB

You are so subtle, MLB. I admire that. :)