PDA

View Full Version : kidney disease?

Me[_6_]
October 23rd 09, 07:43 PM
Mrs. Slocombe has had kidney problems since she was three in 2003. It's
gotten worse. The vet said it was moderate. She recommended essentially
the same regimen. Water, NF wet cat food - a kidney formula.

Does anyone have any tricks to get the little beast to drink extra water or
know of any supplements? Thanks

cybercat
October 23rd 09, 09:11 PM
"Me" <meatacmewidgetsdotcom> wrote in message
diainc...
> Mrs. Slocombe has had kidney problems since she was three in 2003. It's
> gotten worse. The vet said it was moderate. She recommended essentially
> the same regimen. Water, NF wet cat food - a kidney formula.
>
> Does anyone have any tricks to get the little beast to drink extra water
> or
> know of any supplements? Thanks

Someone told me that cats will drink more if you have lots of water bowls
around, something about it attracts them and it is true. I can tell Gracie
is drinking more because of the number and size of the pee balls in the
litter. :)

FirstHit
October 23rd 09, 09:38 PM
On Oct 23, 1:11*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Me" <meatacmewidgetsdotcom> wrote in message
>
> diainc...
>
> > Mrs. Slocombe has had kidney problems since she was three in 2003. *It's
> > gotten worse. *The vet said it was moderate. *She recommended essentially
> > the same regimen. *Water, NF wet cat food - a kidney formula.
>
> > Does anyone have any tricks to get the little beast to drink extra water
> > or
> > know of any supplements? Thanks
>
> Someone told me that cats will drink more if you have lots of water bowls
> around, something about it attracts them and it is true. *I can tell Gracie
> is drinking more because of the number and size of the pee balls in the
> litter. :)

Additionally, some cats like to drink *running* water (from a
Drinkwell you can get at the pet store or from the sink). During the
final stages of my cat's kidney disease, I used the Drinkwell and also
held my cat up to the sink several times during the day. The extra
bowls helped my cat too.

FirstHit

Rene
October 23rd 09, 09:43 PM
On Oct 23, 1:43*pm, "Me" <meatacmewidgetsdotcom> wrote:
> Mrs. Slocombe has had kidney problems since she was three in 2003. *It's
> gotten worse. *The vet said it was moderate. *She recommended essentially
> the same regimen. *Water, NF wet cat food - a kidney formula.

You can add water to the wet cat food, a couple of tablespoons easily.
Also, ask your vet about giving her sub-cutaneous fluids at home. It's
not hard to do it yourself and inexpensive. Your vet can show you how
to administer them.

MLB[_2_]
October 23rd 09, 10:17 PM
Me wrote:
> Mrs. Slocombe has had kidney problems since she was three in 2003. It's
> gotten worse. The vet said it was moderate. She recommended essentially
> the same regimen. Water, NF wet cat food - a kidney formula.
>
> Does anyone have any tricks to get the little beast to drink extra water or
> know of any supplements? Thanks

Every night at bedtime, TuTu gets water by an eyedropper -=- she loves
the procedure. She was sick when I adopted her and had to have
medication. I followed the med up with water from the eyedropper
---this started the ritual. She sits in front of me and opens her mouth
so I can insert the eyedropper into the side of her mouth. In the
Spring she will be 13 years old. In the beginning she got it morning
and night, Good luck. MLB

cybercat
October 23rd 09, 10:47 PM
"MLB" > wrote
> She sits in front of me and opens her mouth so I can insert the eyedropper
> into the side of her mouth.

Okay, this is about the cutest thing I can imagine. :) PICS!

MLB[_2_]
October 24th 09, 12:53 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "MLB" > wrote
>> She sits in front of me and opens her mouth so I can insert the eyedropper
>> into the side of her mouth.
>
> Okay, this is about the cutest thing I can imagine. :) PICS!

sorry, don't have a camera. MLB

MaryL
October 24th 09, 10:38 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "MLB" > wrote
>>> She sits in front of me and opens her mouth so I can insert the
>>> eyedropper into the side of her mouth.
>>
>> Okay, this is about the cutest thing I can imagine. :) PICS!
> sorry, don't have a camera. MLB

I love it! You should ask a friend to come over and take some pics. They
would be priceless.

MaryL

cybercat
October 24th 09, 05:19 PM

> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> "MLB" > wrote
>>>
>>> Okay, this is about the cutest thing I can imagine. :) PICS!
>> sorry, don't have a camera. MLB
>
> I love it! You should ask a friend to come over and take some pics. They
> would be priceless.

Yes indeed. I take video with my cell phont of Gracie doing pretty much
nothing. :)

MLB[_2_]
October 24th 09, 05:40 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>> sorry, don't have a camera. MLB
>> I love it! You should ask a friend to come over and take some pics. They
>> would be priceless.
>>
> Yes indeed. I take video with my cell phont of Gracie doing pretty much
> nothing. :)

I used to take lots of pictures. I gave my small camera to youngest
granddaughter. I have a Polaroid which I liked very much. Am currently
out of film and I am not sure if it is still available. I have boxes
and albums of pictures which now collect dust. I've tried to talk the
grandkids into taking some of the pictures but they have a surplus of
their own> What to do -- what to do? There comes a time when there is
just too much. MLB

Jannie
October 27th 09, 01:06 PM
On Oct 24, 11:19*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

> >> sorry, don't have a camera. *MLB
>
> > I love it! *You should ask a friend to come over and take some pics. *They
> > would be priceless.
>
> Yes indeed. I take video with my cell phont of Gracie doing pretty much
> nothing. :)

LOL, too funny...........do you make your relatives watch her videos,
too (I do!)

cybercat
October 27th 09, 02:36 PM
"Jannie" > wrote
>LOL, too funny...........do you make your relatives watch her videos,
>too (I do!)

YES! haha! I talk stupid to her, you know, "ohhhh, look at the beautiful
girrrrrl ..." and like that, and so she preens as they do when you talk that
way. Every morning when I make coffee, I turn around while it is brewing and
she is on her back, rolling around, doing the inchworm thing where they pull
themselves in a circle on carpeting, pausing to groom, then lying on her
side and chasing her tail. The more I talk the more she "performs." I showed
my aunt, now 90, last time I visited her in Va and very seriously she asked,
"what does your husband think about you filming your cat?" :D It's
hilarious. I say stuff like, "ooohhhh, look at all those stripes!

Me[_6_]
October 29th 09, 12:08 AM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Oct 23, 1:11 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Me" <meatacmewidgetsdotcom> wrote in message
>
> diainc...
>
> > Mrs. Slocombe has had kidney problems since she was three in 2003. It's
> > gotten worse. The vet said it was moderate. She recommended essentially
> > the same regimen. Water, NF wet cat food - a kidney formula.
>
> > Does anyone have any tricks to get the little beast to drink extra water
> > or
> > know of any supplements? Thanks
>
> Someone told me that cats will drink more if you have lots of water bowls
> around, something about it attracts them and it is true. I can tell Gracie
> is drinking more because of the number and size of the pee balls in the
> litter. :)

Additionally, some cats like to drink *running* water (from a
Drinkwell you can get at the pet store or from the sink). During the
final stages of my cat's kidney disease, I used the Drinkwell and also
held my cat up to the sink several times during the day. The extra
bowls helped my cat too.

FirstHit

They've been drinking out of a running water dish for a long time. We
bought another one a few days ago for the bathroom. The bathtub was just
remodeled and now there's no faucet in it and the drain is in the center so
there's no water for them to lap up. The shower conversion hasn't helped
but I doubt that it's the cause.

We've added the water whoozer as above and have started to add a tablespoon
of water to the dish. I think she's just getting old. It was that constant
plaintive meowing that came from nowhere that concerned me.that