PDA

View Full Version : Cat With Chronic Soft Stool

Jannie
October 24th 09, 10:21 PM
I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
firm for more then 2 weeks. I started her with Wellness dry, then
Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
not eat it. The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
another cat with very similar symptoms. I also have another cat to
consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! Any input as to
what food would be best for food allergies??? Any help would be
appreciated.

cybercat
October 24th 09, 10:38 PM
"Jannie" > wrote in message
>I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
> firm for more then 2 weeks. I started her with Wellness dry, then
> Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
> on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
> not eat it. The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
> allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
> another cat with very similar symptoms. I also have another cat to
> consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
> This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! Any input as to
> what food would be best for food allergies??? Any help would be
> appreciated.

Don't feed your cats dry food.

Jannie
October 24th 09, 11:56 PM
On Oct 24, 4:38*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote in message

> >I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
> > firm for more then 2 weeks. *I started her with Wellness dry, then
> > Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
> > on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
> > not eat it. *The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
> > allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
> > another cat with very similar symptoms. *I also have another cat to
> > consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
> > This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! *Any input as to
> > what food would be best for food allergies??? *Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Don't feed your cats dry food.

I am just finding out that wet food is better, however would the fact
that it is dry food cause the soft stool?

cybercat
October 25th 09, 01:50 AM
"Jannie" > wrote in message
On Oct 24, 4:38 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote in message

> >I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
> > firm for more then 2 weeks. I started her with Wellness dry, then
> > Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
> > on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
> > not eat it. The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
> > allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
> > another cat with very similar symptoms. I also have another cat to
> > consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
> > This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! Any input as to
> > what food would be best for food allergies??? Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Don't feed your cats dry food.

>I am just finding out that wet food is better, however would the fact
>that it is dry food cause the soft stool?

It could be a reaction to the carbs. We would think that additional fiber
such as that in grains would not cause soft stools, but she is allergic.
Many other things might affect her stool, as you know. Do you give her milk?
Many cats are lactose intolerant. Does she go outside? She could pick up all
manner of bacterial and viral crud there. Is she a rescue? What tests have
you had done? Give us a little more information, many of us have had similar
problems/

I assume she has regular vet care because you mention the vet, but he is
busy selling you dry food, so hmmm .... My allergic and asthmatic cat does
great on Fancy Feast flavors that have no wheat gluten and beef, chicken, or
fish as a first ingredient. She no longer gets lesions as she used to get
from EGC (an allergic condition.) But it all depends on your cat.

Jannie
October 25th 09, 01:04 AM
On Oct 24, 7:50*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote in message

> On Oct 24, 4:38 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > "Jannie" > wrote in message

> > >I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
> > > firm for more then 2 weeks. I started her with Wellness dry, then
> > > Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
> > > on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
> > > not eat it. The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
> > > allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
> > > another cat with very similar symptoms. I also have another cat to
> > > consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
> > > This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! Any input as to
> > > what food would be best for food allergies??? Any help would be
> > > appreciated.
>
> > Don't feed your cats dry food.
> >I am just finding out that wet food is better, however would the fact
> >that it is dry food cause the soft stool?
>
> It could be a reaction to the carbs. We would think that additional fiber
> such as that in grains would not cause soft stools, but she is allergic.
> Many other things might affect her stool, as you know. Do you give her milk?
> Many cats are lactose intolerant. Does she go outside? She could pick up all
> manner of bacterial and viral crud there. Is she a rescue? What tests have
> you had done? Give us a little more information, many of us have had similar
> problems/
>
> I assume she has regular vet care because you mention the vet, but he is
> busy selling you dry food, so hmmm .... My allergic and asthmatic cat does
> great on Fancy Feast flavors that have no wheat gluten and beef, chicken, or
> fish as a first ingredient. She no longer gets lesions as she used to get
> from EGC (an allergic condition.) *But it all depends on your cat.- Hide quoted text -

I do not give her milk, she eats no human food, and she does not go
outside. I found her under the hood of my van (she crawled inside to
keep warm), when I pulled into my garage!! She must have crawled in
when I was at my pilates class and then I drove around on and off for
2 hours, poor little thing. Anyway she was about 6 months old then.
I think she may have eaten scraps or out of garbage pails because she
begs for food when I cook and is always trying to get into the garbage
or the dishwasher. The vet did a fecal a couple of months ago and it
was negative. That was it. They tested her for feline leukemia and
aids when she was spayed and was negative. Those are the only tests
she has had. Thanks for your input.

cybercat
October 25th 09, 03:36 AM
"Jannie" > wrote
>I do not give her milk, she eats no human food, and she does not go
>outside. I found her under the hood of my van (she crawled inside to
>keep warm), when I pulled into my garage!! She must have crawled in
>when I was at my pilates class and then I drove around on and off for
>2 hours, poor little thing.

Bless you for taking her in and taking care of her. She really needed you.

>Anyway she was about 6 months old then. I think she may have eaten
>scraps or out of garbage pails because she
>begs for food when I cook and is always trying to get into the garbage
>or the dishwasher. The vet did a fecal a couple of months ago and it
>was negative. That was it. They tested her for feline leukemia and
>aids when she was spayed and was negative. Those are the only tests
>she has had. Thanks for your input.

Who knows what she went through before she found you, you know? Poor baby.
It is hard to say what is causing her loose stools, but that is a nasty
daily problem.
My allergic cat Gracie gets loose stool when she goes too long between Depo
Medrol shots. This is a steroid shot that controls her asthma and
scratching, but it is not something you want to put your cat on without
trying other measures to control her allergies, because it can cause
diabetes.

The vet explained that when allergies progress they can cause Irritable
Bowel Syndrome. (I had been trying to go as long between Depo Medrol shots
as I could to make sure to minimize the diabetes risk. Next thing I knew,
Gracie was having diarrhea. Got her a Depo shot and she was fine. She gets
about 3-4 a year now, and has for eight years with no ill effects. I think
it is time for your vet to pay a little more attention to this problem.
First do some reading, though. Google "cat allergies and irritable bowel
syndrome," maybe. Others will chime in. I'm so glad you are taking care of
her. She might just need some probiotics, you know, Jamie Lee Curtis style.
:) Activi- ahhhh! There have been folks here who give their cats yogurt.

Jannie
October 25th 09, 11:48 AM
On Oct 24, 10:36*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote
>
> >I do not give her milk, she eats no human food, and she does not go
> >outside. *I found her under the hood of my van (she crawled inside to
> >keep warm), when I pulled into my garage!! * She must have crawled in
> >when I was at my pilates class and then I drove around on and off for
> >2 hours, poor little thing.
>
> Bless you for taking her in and taking care of her. She really needed you..
>
> >Anyway she was about 6 months old then. I think she may have eaten
> >scraps or out of garbage pails because she
> >begs for food when I cook and is always trying to get into the garbage
> >or the dishwasher. *The vet did a fecal a couple of months ago and it
> >was negative. *That was it. *They tested her for feline leukemia and
> >aids when she was spayed and was negative. *Those are the only tests
> >she has had. *Thanks for your input.
>
> Who knows what she went through before she found you, you know? Poor baby..
> It is hard to say what is causing her loose stools, but that is a nasty
> daily problem.
> My allergic cat Gracie gets loose stool when she goes too long between Depo
> Medrol shots. This is a steroid shot that controls her asthma and
> scratching, but it is not something you want to put your cat on without
> trying other measures to control her allergies, because it can cause
> diabetes.
>
> The vet explained that when allergies progress they can cause Irritable
> Bowel Syndrome. (I had been trying to go as long between Depo Medrol shots
> as I could to make sure to minimize the diabetes risk. Next thing I knew,
> Gracie was having diarrhea. Got her a Depo shot and she was fine. She gets
> about 3-4 a year now, and has for eight years with no ill effects. I think
> it is time for your vet to pay a little more attention to this problem.
> First do some reading, though. Google "cat allergies and irritable bowel
> syndrome," maybe. Others will chime in. I'm so glad you are taking care of
> her. She might just need some probiotics, you know, Jamie Lee Curtis style.
> :) Activi- ahhhh! There have been folks here who give their cats yogurt.

Oh and she is the sweetest little thing. I checked with the people
that lived around my pilates class to make sure no one owned her
because I am sure she climbed in there. It is in a neighborhood with
a lot of cats. I had made so many stops and she didn't cry until I
pulled in my garage and I could not find a cat anywhere so the only
place left to look was under the hood, I made my husband look and she
was sitting on top of the battery. She was only 5 pounds and her nose
was a little burned but otherwise okay.

I am glad Gracie is doing so well with the shots. I just feel like it
is a food allergy because the two times I switched her food, the very
next day her stools would be normal. Almost like once the new food
gets into her system, she starts having loose stools. I may just have
to prepare human food for her. I have two other cats, too, and it
would be nice if everyone could eat the same thing. I am going to
take your suggestion and do some more research. THANKS!

cybercat
October 25th 09, 03:42 PM
"Jannie" > wrote
>Oh and she is the sweetest little thing. I checked with the people
>that lived around my pilates class to make sure no one owned her
>because I am sure she climbed in there. It is in a neighborhood with
>a lot of cats. I had made so many stops and she didn't cry until I
>pulled in my garage and I could not find a cat anywhere so the only
>place left to look was under the hood, I made my husband look and she
>was sitting on top of the battery. She was only 5 pounds and her nose
>was a little burned but otherwise okay.

Aww. She probably did not cry because she was too terrified. I'm so glad she
wasn't hurt.

>I am glad Gracie is doing so well with the shots. I just feel like it
>is a food allergy because the two times I switched her food, the very
>next day her stools would be normal. Almost like once the new food
>gets into her system, she starts having loose stools.

That sure sounds like a food allergy. But bear in mind that these things
tend to come in groups. Gracie has food allergies but also reacts strongly
to fragrances and chemicals, perfumed sprays and cleaning agents send her
into asthma attacks. And the constant grooming from being itchy gives these
cats more hairballs.

>I may just have to prepare human food for her.

You know, cats need things humans don't. For example, if you fed your cat
tuna and table food, even the most expensive people food, she might go blind
from the lack of taurine, something cats need that is not found in
sufficient amounts in human grade food. I think in nature it comes from
mouse guts and such. ;)

My vet told me grains might be the culprit in Gracie's diet, but that many
cats have allergies to specific protein sources like beef, chicken, or fish.
This is why you find these lamb and venison cat foods. She gave me a dry
food that was expensive, lamb based I think, and Gracie would not touch it.
She does very well on Fancy Feast flavors where meat is the first ingredient
and there is no wheat. She loves Purina One dry, and is underweight and not
otherwise interested in food, so I do let her have it. It has corn, not
wheat.

>I have two other cats, too, and it would be nice if everyone could eat the
>same thing. I am going to
>take your suggestion and do some more research. THANKS!

You're welcome. I think if you try quality canned food 12 hours apart (and
there is better food than Fancy Feast as you know, but you don't necessarily
have to buy Wellness either) the added water will be helpful. Do a search on
acidophilus and cats, I have never done that. I know it firms up the stools
of humans, and is the active ingredient in yogurt. Let us know how you do.

---MIKE---
October 25th 09, 05:52 PM
It would seem that you are changing foods too often. Choose a good
grain free wet food and stick with it. I have fed both cats Wellness
Chicken for many years. I give them small amounts of Innova Dry as a
treat. In addition they always have oat grass to nibble on.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Jannie
October 25th 09, 07:08 PM
On Oct 25, 12:52*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> It would seem that you are changing foods too often. *Choose a good
> grain free wet food and stick with it. *I have fed both cats Wellness
> Chicken for many years. *I give them small amounts of Innova Dry as a
> treat. *In addition they always have oat grass to nibble on.
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Hi Mike,

I have written to you last November when my cat Eilish died. Sienna
was on the wellness dry for about 4 months or more and she always had
the soft stools but I thought perhaps it was because of the change of
lifestyle and being a kitten. So I finally took her into the vet and
she just examined her and took a fecal. That is when I switched to
the Before Grain and then after 2 weeks of firm stools, they got soft
and that is when the vet suggested the rx diet. Which eventually made
her vomit and then she just didn't like it. So now she is just back
on the Wellness dry (since I had so much of it left), and she has very
loose stools. I thought perhaps a food allergy, but I read the
ingredients on the BG and the Wellness and not sure what it could be
because there are not really any fillers. So I don't know if just by
switching to wet it would make any difference. Like you said I don't
want to keep switching food constantly. I thought I would try some
probiotics.

Janice

Jannie
October 25th 09, 07:19 PM
On Oct 25, 10:42*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote
>
> >Oh and she is the sweetest little thing. *I checked with the people
> >that lived around my pilates class to make sure no one owned her
> >because I am sure she climbed in there. *It is in a neighborhood with
> >a lot of cats. *I had made so many stops and she didn't cry until I
> >pulled in my garage and I could not find a cat anywhere so the only
> >place left to look was under the hood, I made my husband look and she
> >was sitting on top of the battery. *She was only 5 pounds and her nose
> >was a little burned but otherwise okay.
>
> Aww. She probably did not cry because she was too terrified. I'm so glad she
> wasn't hurt.
>
> >I am glad Gracie is doing so well with the shots. *I just feel like it
> >is a food allergy because the two times I switched her food, the very
> >next day her stools would be normal. *Almost like once the new food
> >gets into her system, she starts having loose stools.
>
> That sure sounds like a food allergy. But bear in mind that these things
> tend to come in groups. Gracie has food allergies but also reacts strongly
> to fragrances and chemicals, perfumed sprays and cleaning agents send her
> into asthma attacks. And the constant grooming from being itchy gives these
> cats more hairballs.
>
> >I may just have to prepare human food for her.
>
> You know, cats need things humans don't. For example, if you fed your cat
> tuna and table food, even the most expensive people food, she might go blind
> from the lack of taurine, something cats need that is not found in
> sufficient amounts in human grade food. I think in nature it comes from
> mouse guts and such. ;)
>
> My vet told me grains might be the culprit in Gracie's diet, but that many
> cats have allergies to specific protein sources like beef, chicken, or fish.
> This is why you find these lamb and venison cat foods. She gave me a dry
> food that was expensive, lamb based I think, and Gracie would not touch it.

cybercat
October 25th 09, 08:22 PM
"Jannie" > wrote :

>Here is some info I have found on probiotics. [...]

Here is the link:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=probioticsadietarypowerhouseforyourcat

Neat! My Gracie actually likes yogurt, and any yogurt that says "active
cultures" has the lactobacilus acidophilus that is in the pills they are
selling. If you could get her to eat yogurt, even mixing it into her food
you might avoid pilling her. Good luck!

Barry Parrish
October 25th 09, 08:40 PM
On Oct 24, 4:38*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote in message

> >I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
> > firm for more then 2 weeks. *I started her with Wellness dry, then
> > Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
> > on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
> > not eat it. *The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
> > allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
> > another cat with very similar symptoms. *I also have another cat to
> > consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
> > This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! *Any input as to
> > what food would be best for food allergies??? *Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Don't feed your cats dry food.

hillbilly

Barry Parrish
October 25th 09, 08:45 PM
On Oct 24, 4:38*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote in message

> >I have had Sienna since April and have not been able to keep her stool
> > firm for more then 2 weeks. *I started her with Wellness dry, then
> > Before Grain dry, then Science Diet DD, which she lasted the longest
> > on, then after I opened the 2nd bag, she started throwing up and would
> > not eat it. *The vet suggested it because she believes she has a food
> > allergy and even though the DD is for skin allergies, it worked on
> > another cat with very similar symptoms. *I also have another cat to
> > consider who eats the same food and was vomiting on the Before Grain.
> > This is literally starting to drive me nuts!!!!!! *Any input as to
> > what food would be best for food allergies??? *Any help would be
> > appreciated.
>
> Don't feed your cats dry food.

Hillbilly

Barry Parrish
October 25th 09, 09:01 PM
On Oct 25, 3:22*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote :
>
> >Here is some info I have found on probiotics. *[...]
>
> Here is the link:http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=pr...
>
> Neat! My Gracie actually likes yogurt, and any yogurt that says "active
> cultures" has the lactobacilus acidophilus that is in the pills they are
> selling. If you could get her to eat yogurt, even mixing it into her food
> you might avoid pilling her. Good luck!

im joking

Jannie
October 25th 09, 11:25 PM
On Oct 25, 4:01*pm, Barry Parrish > wrote:
> On Oct 25, 3:22*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Jannie" > wrote :
>
> > >Here is some info I have found on probiotics. *[...]
>
> > Here is the link:http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=pr...
>
> > Neat! My Gracie actually likes yogurt, and any yogurt that says "active
> > cultures" has the lactobacilus acidophilus that is in the pills they are
> > selling. If you could get her to eat yogurt, even mixing it into her food
> > you might avoid pilling her. Good luck!
>
> im joking

joking about what?

Jannie
October 25th 09, 11:27 PM
On Oct 25, 3:22*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote :
>
> >Here is some info I have found on probiotics. *[...]
>
> Here is the link:http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=pr...
>
> Neat! My Gracie actually likes yogurt, and any yogurt that says "active
> cultures" has the lactobacilus acidophilus that is in the pills they are
> selling. If you could get her to eat yogurt, even mixing it into her food
> you might avoid pilling her. Good luck!

Well I already ordered some stuff, will let you know how it works.
Glad to hear Gracie is getting a healthy treat!! I am sure Sienna
would like yogurt, too, I have a feeling she will eat anything (well
except Scient Diet DD RX food!).

cybercat
October 26th 09, 02:19 AM
"Jannie" > wrote

> I am sure Sienna would like yogurt, too, I have a feeling she will eat
> anything (well
>except Scient Diet DD RX food!).

:) I know what you mean. Gracie is odd, it is dairy she likes. Just the bowl
after I have ranch dressing, cottage cheese, ice cream or yogurt. She is
such a light eater, just kind of picks at things. We would love to see
pictures of your babies if you ever put them up on a site.

Jannie
October 26th 09, 03:03 AM
On Oct 25, 9:19*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote
>
> > I am sure Sienna would like yogurt, too, I have a feeling she will eat
> > anything (well
> >except Scient Diet DD RX food!).
>
> :) I know what you mean. Gracie is odd, it is dairy she likes. Just the bowl
> after I have ranch dressing, cottage cheese, ice cream or yogurt. She is
> such a light eater, just kind of picks at things. We would love to see
> pictures of your babies if you ever put them up on a site.

Can you post pics on here?

cybercat
October 26th 09, 04:02 AM
"Jannie" > wrote :

>Can you post pics on here?

Usually people post urls (links) to their photo pages.

---MIKE---
October 26th 09, 02:24 PM
Acidolpulos does not have to be pilled. If you get capsules they can be
opened and the powder mixed with the canned food. I have done this to
prevent soft stools after using antibiotics. It apparently has no
flavor so can't be detected in the food.

Constant changing of foods can lead to soft stools so pick a good canned
food and stick with it.

Don't pay any attention to Barry Parish - he is a kook.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cybercat
October 26th 09, 03:00 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>Acidolpulos does not have to be pilled. If you get capsules they can be
>opened and the powder mixed with the canned food. I have done this to
>prevent soft stools after using antibiotics. It apparently has no
>flavor so can't be detected in the food.

Excellent idea.

Jannie
October 26th 09, 10:14 PM
On Oct 26, 9:24*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Acidolpulos does not have to be pilled. *If you get capsules they can be
> opened and the powder mixed *with the canned food. *I have done this to
> prevent soft stools after using antibiotics. *It apparently has no
> flavor so can't be detected in the food.
>
> Constant changing of foods can lead to soft stools so pick a good canned
> food and stick with it.
>
> Don't pay any attention to Barry Parish - he is a kook.
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
of the week, anxious to see if it helps.

cybercat
October 26th 09, 10:18 PM
"Jannie" > wrote

>Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
>of the week, anxious to see if it helps.

It helped my sister! :) I am not kidding. She was having similar problems
and I bought her the capsules, she took two a day, and boom, no more
problem. For her, yogurt does not work but acidophilus capsules did. They
are not expensive, you can find them in Walmart, Target, everywhere.

Jannie
October 26th 09, 10:42 PM
On Oct 26, 5:18*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote
>
> >Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
> >of the week, anxious to see if it helps.
>
> It helped my sister! :) I am not kidding. She was having similar problems
> and I bought her the capsules, she took two a day, and boom, no more
> problem. For her, yogurt does not work but acidophilus capsules did. They
> are not expensive, you can find them in Walmart, Target, everywhere.

Mike and Cybercat.........I probably bought stuff that is way
overpriced not knowing what I was doing. This is what I ordered from
some natural pet store site
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/product_detail.aspx?item_guid=25183faf-4c6f-4def-8276-3de37355fd92
Well I will see if it works and if it does, I will just try the stuff
at Walmart, etc. Either that, or I can just run out to Walmart
tomorrow and buy some!!

Petzl
October 27th 09, 11:16 AM
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:18:38 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Jannie" > wrote
>
>>Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
>>of the week, anxious to see if it helps.
>
>It helped my sister! :) I am not kidding. She was having similar problems
>and I bought her the capsules, she took two a day, and boom, no more
>problem. For her, yogurt does not work but acidophilus capsules did. They
>are not expensive, you can find them in Walmart, Target, everywhere.

I'm a convert to acidophilus/Lactobacillus (both the same basically)
Yogurt while good occasionally. Can sometimes give cat a purge (the
****s/runs) the pill form is the way to go by mixing in food

My cat in around 1987 I found in adjacent "bush land" adjacent my
property in Sydney, Australia as a surviving female kitten. Its mother
and other kittens were killed by a dog (pit bull) She was hissing
biting and scratching, but alone so I took her in, call her Roco
Still alive and annoying (as a cat should be) today. A good reliable
friend

Petzl

Jannie
October 27th 09, 12:13 PM
On Oct 27, 6:16*am, Petzl > wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:18:38 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Jannie" > wrote
>
> >>Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
> >>of the week, anxious to see if it helps.
>
> >It helped my sister! :) I am not kidding. She was having similar problems
> >and I bought her the capsules, she took two a day, and boom, no more
> >problem. For her, yogurt does not work but acidophilus capsules did. They
> >are not expensive, you can find them in Walmart, Target, everywhere.
>
> I'm a convert to acidophilus/Lactobacillus *(both the same basically)
> Yogurt while good occasionally. Can sometimes give cat a purge (the
> ****s/runs) the pill form is the way to go by mixing in food
>
> My cat in around 1987 I found in adjacent "bush land" adjacent my
> property in Sydney, Australia as a surviving female kitten. Its mother
> and other kittens were killed by a dog (pit bull) She was hissing
> biting and scratching, but alone so I took her in, call her Roco
> Still alive and annoying (as a cat should be) today. A good reliable
> friend
>
> Petzl

Petzi so glad to hear Roco is still with you after you rescued her so
long ago, hey that would make her 22 years old!!! So do you give her
the acidophilus/Lactobacillus for loose stool?

Jannie
October 27th 09, 12:14 PM
On Oct 26, 5:18*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote
>
> >Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
> >of the week, anxious to see if it helps.
>
> It helped my sister! :) I am not kidding. She was having similar problems
> and I bought her the capsules, she took two a day, and boom, no more
> problem. For her, yogurt does not work but acidophilus capsules did. They
> are not expensive, you can find them in Walmart, Target, everywhere.

I am new to the group, what is the deal on all these
ads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? They are so annoying.

cybercat
October 27th 09, 01:32 PM
"Jannie" > wrote in message
On Oct 26, 5:18 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Jannie" > wrote
>
> >Thanks Mike, that is what I will do.........I should get it by the end
> >of the week, anxious to see if it helps.
>
> It helped my sister! :) I am not kidding. She was having similar problems
> and I bought her the capsules, she took two a day, and boom, no more
> problem. For her, yogurt does not work but acidophilus capsules did. They
> are not expensive, you can find them in Walmart, Target, everywhere.

>I am new to the group, what is the deal on all these
>ads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????? They are so annoying.

I use Outlook Express so I just right click and block sender. Or just delete
them. Just part of Usenet.

Petzl
October 27th 09, 09:26 PM
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:13:34 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
> wrote:

>Petzi so glad to hear Roco is still with you after you rescued her so
>long ago, hey that would make her 22 years old!!! So do you give her
>the acidophilus/Lactobacillus for loose stool?

Not 100% on year? But she is very old, still active. 1987 seems right
my Vet should know for sure

Acidophilus/Lactobacillus I just give about once a month in food.
Cat has never had digestive problems, right now is getting picky with
what food she will eat, wanting something special and different all
the time. I mainly feed her wet food but always have fresh water and
fresh quality dry food on standby

Good luck with your lifelong friend

Petzl

Petzl
October 27th 09, 10:21 PM
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:13:34 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
> wrote:

>So do you give her
>the acidophilus/Lactobacillus for loose stool?

I were just thinking also that cats need a hygienic dish to eat off or
they can get stomach problems(?)
Don't know if this is an Australian thing but most cat owners
never/rarely clean the cats food dish (cats like a plate not a bowl)
Just dump new food on un-cleaned one "The cats one"
I buy "disposable" plastic party plates they can be washed or even
soaked in a bucket for reuse our local Chinese bargain shop has 50 for
a dollar, enough easily for a year supply
May not apply to you but just chucking it in there

Petzl

Jannie
October 28th 09, 12:25 AM
On Oct 27, 5:21*pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:13:34 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
>
> > wrote:
> >So do you give her
> >the acidophilus/Lactobacillus *for loose stool?
>
> I were just thinking also that cats need a hygienic dish to eat off or
> they can get stomach problems(?)
> Don't know if this is an Australian thing but most cat owners
> never/rarely clean the cats food dish (cats like a plate not a bowl)
> Just dump new food on un-cleaned one "The cats one"
> I buy "disposable" plastic party plates they can be washed or even
> soaked in a bucket for reuse our local Chinese bargain shop has 50 for
> a dollar, enough easily for a year supply
> May not apply to you but just chucking it in there
>
> Petzl

I am guilty of that, I just feed her dry and in the same bowl and only
clean it once a month, obviously if it is wet, I use a new plate each
time. You are a good parent!! Started the acidophilus today, I read
where you should give them 1/4 of what the human dosage is, so I hope
that is correct! I will do this daily, see what happens.

Petzl
October 28th 09, 12:48 AM
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:25:10 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
> wrote:

>Started the acidophilus today, I read
>where you should give them 1/4 of what the human dosage is, so I hope
>that is correct! I will do this daily, see what happens.

Acidophilus to my knowledge is harmless and can't be over done.
The ones I use are in capsule which I empty completly, but only about
once a month, I think even a is more than enough. Some cat foods
claim acidophilus is included, but be careful of the "spin" designed
to simply sell

Petzl

---MIKE---
October 28th 09, 12:11 PM
When I gave one of the cats Acidolphulis I used one full capsule in the
wet food. I did this for a few days until I saw a result (solid stool).
I don't give it on a regular basis.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Jannie
October 29th 09, 01:33 AM
On Oct 28, 7:11*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> When I gave one of the cats Acidolphulis I used one full capsule in the
> wet food. *I did this for a few days until I saw a result (solid stool)..
> I don't give it on a regular basis.
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

Mike the ones I saw at Walmart had different CFU's, the one I got has
3 billion CFU's (whatever that means), however the stuff I ordered on
line at the natural pet store has its own dosage directions (haven't
received it yet). Sorry for the grossness but my dog ate her stool
this am, so I don't know if it worked or not!!!!!!!!!!! UGH, I think
it was still diarrhea, because I smelled it when I came home and I
looked for it and it was gone and there were cat litter crumbs on the
carpet, my dog usually doesn;t do this, but with her smelly stools, I
think it must be too enticing.........SORRY FOR THE GROSSNESS. I will
know more tomorrow.

Petzl
October 29th 09, 04:31 AM
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
> wrote:

>Mike the ones I saw at Walmart had different CFU's, the one I got has
>3 billion CFU's (whatever that means), however the stuff I ordered on
>line at the natural pet store has its own dosage directions (haven't
>received it yet). Sorry for the grossness but my dog ate her stool
>this am, so I don't know if it worked or not!!!!!!!!!!! UGH, I think
>it was still diarrhea, because I smelled it when I came home and I
>looked for it and it was gone and there were cat litter crumbs on the
>carpet, my dog usually doesn;t do this, but with her smelly stools, I
>think it must be too enticing.........SORRY FOR THE GROSSNESS. I will
>know more tomorrow.

Terminology is to blind one with bull****
Just get the human acidophilus variety cheaper and safe

Cats need enzymes also. So RAW meat is required in diet, pet food type
from supermarket OK wich is actually offal (when cooking steak a bit
for cat OK and good). Cats are by nature canivirous only

Although I like my steak extremely well done with bourbon, fact is
though the healthier option is rare as cooking destroys enzymes

Jannie
October 30th 09, 12:42 AM
On Oct 28, 11:31*pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
>
> > wrote:
> >Mike the ones I saw at Walmart had different CFU's, the one I got has
> >3 billion CFU's (whatever that means), however the stuff I ordered on
> >line at the natural pet store has its own dosage directions (haven't
> >received it yet). *Sorry for the grossness but my dog ate her stool
> >this am, so I don't know if it worked or not!!!!!!!!!!! *UGH, I think
> >it was still diarrhea, because I smelled it when I came home and I
> >looked for it and it was gone and there were cat litter crumbs on the
> >carpet, my dog usually doesn;t do this, but with her smelly stools, I
> >think it must be too enticing.........SORRY FOR THE GROSSNESS. *I will
> >know more tomorrow.
>
> Terminology is to blind one with bull****
> Just get the human acidophilus variety cheaper and safe
>
> Cats need enzymes also. So RAW meat is required in diet, pet food type
> from supermarket OK wich is actually offal (when cooking steak a bit
> for cat OK and good). Cats are by nature canivirous only
>
> Although I like my steak extremely well done with bourbon, fact is
> though the healthier option is rare as cooking destroys enzymes

Well I had already ordered the pet probiotics on line, so I will have
to use it. Her stools are firming up just a little, so I hope that is
a sign, today is only the 3rd day, we shall see. Surely not getting my
hopes up yet. Maybe she does need a little bit of BOURBON!!!

Petzl
October 30th 09, 01:09 AM
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:42:35 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
> wrote:

>> Terminology is to blind one with bull****
>> Just get the human acidophilus variety cheaper and safe
>>
>> Cats need enzymes also. So RAW meat is required in diet, pet food type
>> from supermarket OK wich is actually offal (when cooking steak a bit
>> for cat OK and good). Cats are by nature canivirous only
>>
>> Although I like my steak extremely well done with bourbon, fact is
>> though the healthier option is rare as cooking destroys enzymes
>
>Well I had already ordered the pet probiotics on line, so I will have
>to use it. Her stools are firming up just a little, so I hope that is
>a sign, today is only the 3rd day, we shall see. Surely not getting my
>hopes up yet. Maybe she does need a little bit of BOURBON!!!

I were trying to point out cooking/processing food destroys enzymes so
a bit of raw meat is needed for cat. As for the bourbon cats are
non-drinkers mine will investigate but that's it. Then try for my
steak
The Pet Probiotics will be fine, just in my experience a expensive way
of buying them. A human's digestive system has about 50 billion CFU's
{Flora} so 1,2 or 3 billion amounts in a pill is not a big deal (they
are beneficial but harmless)
Petzl

Jannie
October 30th 09, 11:38 AM
On Oct 29, 8:09*pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:42:35 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
>

> > wrote:
>
> >> Terminology is to blind one with bull****
> >> Just get the human acidophilus variety cheaper and safe
>
> >> Cats need enzymes also. So RAW meat is required in diet, pet food type
> >> from supermarket OK wich is actually offal (when cooking steak a bit
> >> for cat OK and good). Cats are by nature canivirous only
>
> >> Although I like my steak extremely well done with bourbon, fact is
> >> though the healthier option is rare as cooking destroys enzymes
>
> >Well I had already ordered the pet probiotics on line, so I will have
> >to use it. *Her stools are firming up just a little, so I hope that is
> >a sign, today is only the 3rd day, we shall see. Surely not getting my
> >hopes up yet. Maybe she does need a little bit of BOURBON!!!
>
> I were trying to point out cooking/processing food destroys enzymes so
> a bit of raw meat is needed for cat. As for the bourbon cats are
> non-drinkers mine will investigate but that's it. Then try for my
> steak
> The Pet Probiotics will be fine, just in my experience a expensive way
> of buying them. A human's digestive system has about 50 billion CFU's
> {Flora} so 1,2 or 3 billion amounts in a pill is not a big deal (they
> are beneficial but harmless)
> Petzl- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much for all the info, how do you know so much? What raw
meat do you feed your cats? I noticed they even sell a raw food diet
in the cooler at the pet store, probably another expensive option, huh?

---MIKE---
October 30th 09, 12:30 PM
Petzi wrote:

>a bit of raw meat is needed for cat.

I don't believe that. Amber is 15 years old and Tiger is 10. Neither
of them has EVER had any raw meat and they are both healthy for their
age. Raw meat is apt to contain harmful things.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cybercat
October 30th 09, 03:37 PM
"Jannie" > wrote in message
On Oct 29, 8:09 pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:42:35 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
>

> > wrote:
>
> >> Terminology is to blind one with bull****
> >> Just get the human acidophilus variety cheaper and safe
>
> >> Cats need enzymes also. So RAW meat is required in diet, pet food type
> >> from supermarket OK wich is actually offal (when cooking steak a bit
> >> for cat OK and good). Cats are by nature canivirous only
>
> >> Although I like my steak extremely well done with bourbon, fact is
> >> though the healthier option is rare as cooking destroys enzymes
>
> >Well I had already ordered the pet probiotics on line, so I will have
> >to use it. Her stools are firming up just a little, so I hope that is
> >a sign, today is only the 3rd day, we shall see. Surely not getting my
> >hopes up yet. Maybe she does need a little bit of BOURBON!!!
>
> I were trying to point out cooking/processing food destroys enzymes so
> a bit of raw meat is needed for cat. As for the bourbon cats are
> non-drinkers mine will investigate but that's it. Then try for my
> steak
> The Pet Probiotics will be fine, just in my experience a expensive way
> of buying them. A human's digestive system has about 50 billion CFU's
> {Flora} so 1,2 or 3 billion amounts in a pill is not a big deal (they
> are beneficial but harmless)
> Petzl- Hide quoted text -

>Thanks so much for all the info, how do you know so much? What raw
>meat do you feed your cats? I noticed they even sell a raw food diet
>in the cooler at the pet store, probably another expensive option, huh?

Jannie, some swear by a raw diet, but they are in the minority. There's a
reason it says "CAT food" on those cans--makers have a better understanding
of feline nutrition than the average pet owners. You can make a science of
it and do it yourself. And I imagine some raw meat wouldn't hurt, but I do
not think it is necessary. My first cat lived to age 18 without it. I would
worry about bacteria in raw meat, too.

Petzl
October 31st 09, 12:46 AM
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 04:38:46 -0700 (PDT), Jannie
> wrote:

>> I were trying to point out cooking/processing food destroys enzymes so
>> a bit of raw meat is needed for cat. As for the bourbon cats are
>> non-drinkers mine will investigate but that's it. Then try for my
>> steak
>> The Pet Probiotics will be fine, just in my experience a expensive way
>> of buying them. A human's digestive system has about 50 billion CFU's
>> {Flora} so 1,2 or 3 billion amounts in a pill is not a big deal (they
>> are beneficial but harmless)
>>
>Thanks so much for all the info, how do you know so much? What raw
>meat do you feed your cats? I noticed they even sell a raw food diet
>in the cooler at the pet store, probably another expensive option, huh?

I'm getting old and have always had a cat or two or three
(lived in Country, cats keep rodents away, without a cat rats or mice
target the inside walls of house during winter. Rodents tend to
defecate in one spot and non-cat owners notice smelly stains in
plaster. Even farmers who don't like cats have them for this reason)
The pet food in the store cooler would be raw and a option for cats
I find cat likes variety the tin stuff keeps better is also OK,
quality dry food is also good to have around and keeps even better
As a kid the cat was only ever fed raw meat (beef) and they seemed to
do OK (lived long and prospered). Meat sold in butcher has to be clean
and checked for diseases, offal though always needs to be boiled at
least 20 minutes for pet food (dog or cat)
Pet food is also supposed to be checked but I don't believe as
stringently as our human variety and this is happening too often
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_food_safety_center/
That's why I prefer the human acidophilus to the pet one
Petzl

Petzl
October 31st 09, 12:55 AM
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:30:46 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>Petzl wrote:
>
>>a bit of raw meat is needed for cat.
>
>I don't believe that. Amber is 15 years old and Tiger is 10. Neither
>of them has EVER had any raw meat and they are both healthy for their
>age. Raw meat is apt to contain harmful things.
>
> ---MIKE---

From your local butcher the meat you eat the odd piece of fresh raw
beef (treat) is not going to hurt (meat sold should pass strict
disease inspection at least this has always been the case in Australia
and are sure the same applies in the USa)

And yes quality pet food from a can would have enzymes added
What you are doing is fine (if in doubt don't)

Petzl

Petzl
October 31st 09, 01:04 AM
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:37:20 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Jannie, some swear by a raw diet, but they are in the minority. There's a
>reason it says "CAT food" on those cans--makers have a better understanding
>of feline nutrition than the average pet owners. You can make a science of
>it and do it yourself. And I imagine some raw meat wouldn't hurt, but I do
>not think it is necessary. My first cat lived to age 18 without it. I would
>worry about bacteria in raw meat, too.

Quality canned pet food should have enzymes and everything else added

The case in question is a former feral cat with soft stool I am
suggesting a slug of fresh raw beef could get its digestion back in
order. A bit of dirt is good, being too antiseptic can make/take
immune system out.
Now wash your hands for full 20 seconds, dry with towel, finish with
air dryer (everyone does this all the time?)

Petzl