PDA

View Full Version : Where to get cat carriers for airline transport of cats?

Sandman
October 24th 09, 11:23 PM
I need to move 2 cats cross country, and on Virgin America they have
given me the maximum dimensions for the carries that must be used for
each cat: 18"L x 15"W x 8"H - I am having an incredible time finding
something that fits this (or less, of course). Do you have any
suggestions on where I could find such carriers? Of course the more
reasonable the price the better -

Thanks very much in advance -

Christine BA[_2_]
October 24th 09, 11:54 PM
Sandman kirjoitti:
> I need to move 2 cats cross country, and on Virgin America they have
> given me the maximum dimensions for the carries that must be used for
> each cat: 18"L x 15"W x 8"H - I am having an incredible time finding
> something that fits this (or less, of course). Do you have any
> suggestions on where I could find such carriers? Of course the more
> reasonable the price the better -
>
> Thanks very much in advance -

In a quick search I found just one that was within the size range:
http://www.petco.com/product/104218/Marshall-Designer-Pet-Tote.aspx?CoreCat=CatSFC_Carriers
The sherpa-bags seem to be higher...and so are a few "airline approved"
ones too...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Sandman
October 25th 09, 12:08 AM
On Oct 24, 6:54*pm, Christine BA > wrote:
> Sandman kirjoitti:
>
> > I need to move 2 cats cross country, and on Virgin America they have
> > given me the maximum dimensions for the carries that must be used for
> > each cat: 18"L x 15"W x 8"H - I am having an incredible time finding
> > something that fits this (or less, of course). *Do you have any
> > suggestions on where I could find such carriers? Of course the more
> > reasonable the price the better -
>
> > Thanks very much in advance -

> In a quick search I found just one that was within the size range:http://www.petco.com/product/104218/Marshall-Designer-Pet-Tote.aspx?C...
> The sherpa-bags seem to be higher...and so are a few "airline approved"
> ones too...
>
> --
> Christine in Finland
> christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks very much - actually while quite reasonable, this ends up being
TOO small - particularly the length (12" length vs. the 18" max
allowed) would likely be too short for each cat - but this is a great
start!! Thanks

Jannie
October 25th 09, 01:38 AM
On Oct 24, 6:08*pm, Sandman > wrote:
> On Oct 24, 6:54*pm, Christine BA > wrote:
>

> > Sandman kirjoitti:
>
> > > I need to move 2 cats cross country, and on Virgin America they have
> > > given me the maximum dimensions for the carries that must be used for
> > > each cat: 18"L x 15"W x 8"H - I am having an incredible time finding
> > > something that fits this (or less, of course). *Do you have any
> > > suggestions on where I could find such carriers? Of course the more
> > > reasonable the price the better -
>
> > > Thanks very much in advance -

> > In a quick search I found just one that was within the size range:http://www.petco.com/product/104218/Marshall-Designer-Pet-Tote.aspx?C...
> > The sherpa-bags seem to be higher...and so are a few "airline approved"
> > ones too...
>
> > --
> > Christine in Finland
> > christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
>
> Thanks very much - actually while quite reasonable, this ends up being
> TOO small - particularly the length (12" length vs. the 18" max
> allowed) would likely be too short for each cat - but this is a great
> start!! Thanks
>
> B- Hide quoted text -

I found this one below, you are right, the size is a little difficult,
I found some hard sided carriers but they were 19" long. Although
with the soft sided ones the cat can get a little more room because
the fabric gives. I presume you are taking them on the plane with you
and putting them under the seat in front of you right?

http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Comfort-Carrier-Soft-Sided-Small/dp/B0015AM778/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1256430777&sr=1-16

Sandman
October 25th 09, 01:47 AM
> I found this one below, you are right, the size is a little difficult,
> I found some hard sided carriers but they were 19" long. *Although
> with the soft sided ones the cat can get a little more room because
> the fabric gives. *I presume you are taking them on the plane with you
> and putting them under the seat in front of you right?
>
> *http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Comfort-Carrier-Soft-Sided-Small/dp/B001....

Answer to your question:

Yes, one is going in the seat in front of me, the other one will be
adjacent (I had to buy him his own seat - I just need to find his
passport)

Comment on your suggestion:

That is GREAT - this is the largest one I've seen so far that still
fits in below the limit - thanks very much (but still taking
suggestions!!)

Thanks again -

Bill S.

D. K. Kraft[_3_]
October 26th 09, 08:40 PM
With patience akin to a cat's, Sandman, on 10/24/2009 3:23 PM typed:
> I need to move 2 cats cross country, and on Virgin America they have
> given me the maximum dimensions for the carries that must be used for
> each cat: 18"L x 15"W x 8"H - I am having an incredible time finding
> something that fits this (or less, of course). Do you have any
> suggestions on where I could find such carriers? Of course the more
> reasonable the price the better -
>
> Thanks very much in advance -

I use and highly recommend SturdiBag Pet Carriers.
http://www.sturdiproducts.com/4111/xcart/home.php?cat=1 They were designed by
an airline attendant for her own cats, and flex down without collapsing,
making them ideal for varying airline seat heights.

The only caveat is that I don't see an offered size that exactly meets your
measurement requirements. The small is closest in height (18"L x 10"W x
10"H), but not as wide as you say you need. The large is wider, of course,
but still smaller than your measurement and a few inches taller (18"L x 12"W x
12"H). I can attest that the carriers are very flexible and should squish
down enough, so it may be better to look into the large for the greater width,
depending on the size of your cats.

Googling with the key words "airline approved cat carrier 8 inches high" found
a few hard shell carriers, mostly by Petmate, that meet your height
specifications. My own personal preference would be for the SturdiBag, so a
cat has a bit more headroom in a carrier when not on the plane. Eight inches
isn't much space for an average cat of 10 lbs.; definitely not comfortable for
a larger animal.

Good luck in your search --
--
/\ /\ | "No amount of time can erase the
^o o^ D.K. "Cat" Kraft | memory of a good cat, and no amount